Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Holy poo poo with my green dice luck recently I'm seriously considering just selling up and playing Armada (or just playing 2x pancake builds for ever). Both games last night Soontir got a crit on the first attack. First game, range 3 mangler through asteroid at tokened up soontir, 3 hits vs 5 blanks. Second game, I spent my focus on attack, as the only incoming shot was a range 3 tie, thought Autothrusters and evade token could handle it. 2 hits vs 5 eyeballs (PS0 crit)

At least my Soontir or Palpatine escalation list building dilemma is solved.

Loving Omega ace though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

Holy poo poo with my green dice luck recently I'm seriously considering just selling up and playing Armada (or just playing 2x pancake builds for ever). Both games last night Soontir got a crit on the first attack. First game, range 3 mangler through asteroid at tokened up soontir, 3 hits vs 5 blanks. Second game, I spent my focus on attack, as the only incoming shot was a range 3 tie, thought Autothrusters and evade token could handle it. 2 hits vs 5 eyeballs (PS0 crit)

At least my Soontir or Palpatine escalation list building dilemma is solved.

Loving Omega ace though.

Now imagine that time when your opponent is down to generics against Soontir and Palp and literally has no chance of winning unless you make a big mistake.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I took Strobe's XXX list again tonight and completely hosed it up. I went for the two A-wings instead of Dash, it was a dumb dumb dumb mistake on my part. I'm terrible at the opening.

EDIT: I lost to the same guy I beat last week. The guy who was disappointed that Episode 7 didn't have the Yuuzhan Vong.

Sever his head IMO

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pour a bunch of live hissing cockroaches and centipedes onto the table and shout "Here's your God Danged Yuzon Vongs!"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Running this today, for maximum :black101:

quote:

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced 29
Proton Rockets 3
Accuracy Corrector 0
Engine Upgrade 4
TIE/x1 0
Ship Total: 36

"Backstabber" — TIE Fighter 16
Ship Total: 16

"Dark Curse" — TIE Fighter 16
Ship Total: 16

"Mauler Mithel" — TIE Fighter 17
Ship Total: 17

"Winged Gundark" — TIE Fighter 15
Ship Total: 15

100/100

I got rudely introduced to a TLT last time I played, so running it straight into the ground is going to be my number one priority if it shows up today.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
e: nvm I'm a doof

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Otisburg posted:

Pour a bunch of live hissing cockroaches and centipedes onto the table and shout "Here's your God Danged Yuzon Vongs!"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Otisburg posted:

If you're literally hurling disgusting insects at a man, I think we can upgrade to "goddamn" here, unless this is a reference I am missing.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010
Went 2-0 in my first ever league last night against a guy running K-Wings with TLTs and bombs (not the best list, I know). I was Imp; first game 2x Bounty Hunter and a Doomshuttle, I stripped the shields on both of his K-Wings on the first pass due to some lucky die rolling and Vader and was able to focus down Miranda to prevent regen schenigans. Second game I swapped the Firesprays for Soontir and Carnor Jax, he kept the same list, and even though Jax lost SD on the first pass (rolled 5 blanks with an evade token against 2 hits from TLT), I was able to stay out of arc with Soontir all game until the end when I flew through an asteroid intentionally and took a damage to setup a Range 1 kill shot.

I really need to invest in a Raider to get the Palpmobile going; saw no fewer than 3 guys running that last night; would have saved Jax in the second game for sure and made much shorter work of things.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Weirdneal posted:

Went 2-0 in my first ever league last night against a guy running K-Wings with TLTs and bombs (not the best list, I know). I was Imp; first game 2x Bounty Hunter and a Doomshuttle, I stripped the shields on both of his K-Wings on the first pass due to some lucky die rolling and Vader and was able to focus down Miranda to prevent regen schenigans. Second game I swapped the Firesprays for Soontir and Carnor Jax, he kept the same list, and even though Jax lost SD on the first pass (rolled 5 blanks with an evade token against 2 hits from TLT), I was able to stay out of arc with Soontir all game until the end when I flew through an asteroid intentionally and took a damage to setup a Range 1 kill shot.

I really need to invest in a Raider to get the Palpmobile going; saw no fewer than 3 guys running that last night; would have saved Jax in the second game for sure and made much shorter work of things.

What is a Doomshuttle? Like a Fat Lambda?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Finster Dexter posted:

What is a Doomshuttle? Like a Fat Lambda?
Omicron Group Pilot with Vader

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, it's basically a way to bypass Stealth Device on high agility ships with no shields (Phantom/Int) and do damage. If you get a good crit, it could be game over for that ship.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Am I the only one that thinks the Gunboat/Missile Boat/etc look real dumb and counter to the aesthetic?

The gunboat looks like it's related to the Lambda. If the shuttle doesn't read as Imperial to you, the others won't either. The Imperial aesthetic is supposed to be all angles and hard edges, and it has those things.

I don't like the Missile Boat, because I think that fighter-to-fighter homing weapons are inherently Not Star Wars, but that has nothing to do with how it looks.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Madurai posted:

The gunboat looks like it's related to the Lambda. If the shuttle doesn't read as Imperial to you, the others won't either. The Imperial aesthetic is supposed to be all angles and hard edges, and it has those things.

I don't like the Missile Boat, because I think that fighter-to-fighter homing weapons are inherently Not Star Wars, but that has nothing to do with how it looks.

I can't wait until they release some really dumb looking imperial ship that doesn't look anything like the other imperial ships. Idiots will come crawling out of the woodwork to defend it like they did with the K-wing. "Star wars ships all have internally-mounted ordnance." "Not this one!" "The turret in the front of the ship looks goofy as gently caress!" "So it has a turret that looks like the ones the gunships in the clone wars had!" :rolleyes:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Running this today, for maximum :black101:

I got rudely introduced to a TLT last time I played, so running it straight into the ground is going to be my number one priority if it shows up today.

Drop the prockets and accuracy corrector on Vader and put a Advanced Targeting Computer and Veteran Instincts on him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

If you're literally hurling disgusting insects at a man, I think we can upgrade to "goddamn" here, unless this is a reference I am missing.

Sometimes it's funnier to use earnestly animated fake swears. See: Misery and Boomhowler from King of the Hill.

Chill la Chill posted:

I can't wait until they release some really dumb looking imperial ship that doesn't look anything like the other imperial ships. Idiots will come crawling out of the woodwork to defend it like they did with the K-wing. "Star wars ships all have internally-mounted ordnance." "Not this one!" "The turret in the front of the ship looks goofy as gently caress!" "So it has a turret that looks like the ones the gunships in the clone wars had!" :rolleyes:

I'm still not in love with it, but having seen the physical model of it they managed to make it look a little better than previous iterations.

Extermal hardpoints are still #notmystarwars though.

So if there is a big enough turnout for our store championships, I talked my FLGS owner into cracking a Raider to lot out for raffle prizes between swiss and elimination rounds.

If I'm parting it out into:
Epic Play poo poo
The Tie Advanced Model, Pilots, Dial, missile upgrades, and 1 set of TIE Advanced "patch upgrades" (ATC and title)
Three seperate prizes each containing a set of the TIE Advanced "patch" upgrades...

Do you think Palpy should be with the Epic Play poo poo, A Prize Unto Himself, or some other option?

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 22, 2016

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Palpatine should probably be his own prize. That's a $20 prize right there! As in cash. I would easily trade a ship + promo tokens for a palpy card.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

If they do release the gunboat, I hope they do tie the asthetics with the shuttle, as it should. I personally love it since it was the reliable, durable special operations fighter of the empire and one in of the most familiar ships that I flew in TIE Fighter. Also it just looks awesome. Even if it comes out for Scum I'll be happy.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Going back to "why are people literally Nazis who identify with fake space fascists" chat, I think part of it was that between X-Wing and TIE Fighter when we were kiddos, TIE Fighter was the cooler game, where you worked your way up from a shitheap deathtrap tie, to the Mary Sue TIE Defender which was cool as poo poo when you're 14, and you got to fly on Vader's Wing and get cool Magic Tattoos. Being the second one to come out it was just an enhancement on the presentation that was firing on all cylinders.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Looks like FFG is going to have an OP presence at Adepticon and Origins this year: Origins being the US Nationals, in addittion to your regularly scheduled North American Championships.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Madurai posted:

Shuttle looks fine to me but not the gunboat :shrug:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

the k-wing owns son. star wars ships are based off wwII planes. the k-wing looks like this guy

ball turret supremacy.

alg fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 22, 2016

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Otisburg posted:

Sometimes it's funnier to use earnestly animated fake swears. See: Misery and Boomhowler from King of the Hill.

I'm still not in love with it, but having seen the physical model of it they managed to make it look a little better than previous iterations.

Extermal hardpoints are still #notmystarwars though.

So if there is a big enough turnout for our store championships, I talked my FLGS owner into cracking a Raider to lot out for raffle prizes between swiss and elimination rounds.

If I'm parting it out into:
Epic Play poo poo
The Tie Advanced Model, Pilots, Dial, missile upgrades, and 1 set of TIE Advanced "patch upgrades" (ATC and title)
Three seperate prizes each containing a set of the TIE Advanced "patch" upgrades...

Do you think Palpy should be with the Epic Play poo poo, A Prize Unto Himself, or some other option?

Palp should definitely be his own prize. Give the top Swiss finisher the choice of Palp or the Raider+cards.

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Gunboat looks like something the Rebels would do to a few Shuttles they captured.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

the k-wing owns son. star wars ships are based off wwII planes. the k-wing looks like this guy

ball turret supremacy.

Yeah and that plane has the twin laser turret above which is fine but not that dangling ballsack up front. It also doesn't have extra wings with landing skids....or does it? :eyepop:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

alg posted:

ball turret supremacy.

The K-wing is the most EU ship imaginable, in that it doesn't fit in with the general aesthetic of the series in any way at all

Look at that piece of poo poo

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Otisburg posted:

Going back to "why are people literally Nazis who identify with fake space fascists" chat, I think part of it was that between X-Wing and TIE Fighter when we were kiddos, TIE Fighter was the cooler game, where you worked your way up from a shitheap deathtrap tie, to the Mary Sue TIE Defender which was cool as poo poo when you're 14, and you got to fly on Vader's Wing and get cool Magic Tattoos. Being the second one to come out it was just an enhancement on the presentation that was firing on all cylinders.

There's a lot to this. I play mostly Empire today because I played TIE Fighter a shitton when I was 10. Vader was my cool friend and we had lots of fun going on missions and hunting down the Rebel scum :3:

I never played X-Wing.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Weirdneal posted:

Gunboat looks like something the Rebels would do to a few Shuttles they captured.

Yeah, it doesn't really look Imperial to me.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The K-wing is the most EU ship imaginable, in that it doesn't fit in with the general aesthetic of the series in any way at all

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah and that plane has the twin laser turret above which is fine but not that dangling ballsack up front. It also doesn't have extra wings with landing skids....or does it? :eyepop:

B-17 has the forward ball turret :swoon:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

B-17 has the forward ball turret :swoon:

Right, and I'm fine with those. Like I said, twin laser turret. It's not a dangling ballsack, however. Though this does give me a good idea and I'll probably cut it off, slice off a portion of the ball, and attach it to the base of the chin so it looks more like a ball turret.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Otisburg posted:

No. The Empire's whole deal is a uniform set of modular components that you can look at right away and say "that's an imperial ship."

The Tie Punisher, whatever else you think of it, visually reads better as an Imp Ship in that same role IMO.
Except the Lambda. And the Firespray. And the Decimator. None of the imperial big ships share that aesthetic.

Tekopo posted:

And Gunner. Gunner is pretty key to buzzsaw builds like this, because you just DGAF if you miss, twice. It;s particularly important on the Shuttle because it doesn't have a 360 Primary, so you have to have the ace in arc in order to doom him, so you want to make the most of that.

K Wings are fugly as poo poo and I'm probably going to wind up buying one for TLT and Conner net and I don't even play Rebels FFFFfffff-

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Weirdneal posted:

Could you post this list? I'm interested to see what you did for upgrades on the Firesprays.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Right, and I'm fine with those. Like I said, twin laser turret. It's not a dangling ballsack, however. Though this does give me a good idea and I'll probably cut it off, slice off a portion of the ball, and attach it to the base of the chin so it looks more like a ball turret.

Imagine being the gunner in that turret

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Imagine being the gunner in that turret
Maybe it's a womp rat gunner. They have sentient rats in star wars, right?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Except the Lambda. And the Firespray. And the Decimator. None of the imperial big ships share that aesthetic.

But the gunboat is fighter sized, right, about as big as a Punisher. Making it the odd man out for fighters.

The lambda is much more a transport than a fighter or bomber, and established in screen canon.

The Firespray is not an "Imperial" Ship. It's a ship that belonged to a mercenary who contracted with the Empire that as far as screen canon is a unique one-off. If they'd done the S&V faction out the gate, I don't even think it ever would have been lumped into the imperial faction.

The Decimator doesn't share the aesthetic of fighters, because it's a baby capital ship, so it has a hybrid aesthetic where it does the wedge thing, but also the hexagonal front viewport.

:colbert:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly I really like the fact that there is a clear design aesthetic going on with some of the EU around who designed what ships and why, but the Gunboat and Missile Boat so clearly echo the Lambda that I wouldn't have a problem with them from a visual perspective.

The fact that they're almost entirely superfluous from a tactical perspective OTOH...

Weirdneal
Jan 2, 2010

Finster Dexter posted:

Could you post this list? I'm interested to see what you did for upgrades on the Firesprays.

No upgrades, just vanilla Bounty Hunters.

Bounty Hunter (33)

Bounty Hunter (33)

Captain Yorr (24)
Darth Vader (3)
Rebel Captive (3)
Anti-Pursuit Lasers (2)
Enhanced Scopes (1)

I was expecting stressbots and TLTs (in the form of YWing swarms), so I wanted my shuttle to move first, block them, and force through damage with APL. Then with PS4 during combat, I could shoot first and Vader on their PS2 Y-Wings/PS1 Ties.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Gonna nerd it up here, the Gunboat is not made by the companies that make the TIEs, so the design aesthetic is different. It was the Empire's request for a ship that has shields, hyperspace, and can carry warheads to deal with the more durable Rebel ships. It escalated to the Missile Boat because the Imps want results to deal with a now more serious Rebel threat.

TIE Defenders, Advanced, and Avengers were Sienar's answer to be "Hey! Buy our fighters and not Cygnus!" Problem for all these ships is their expense: very costly and obviously reserved for special units and for a Moffs that steal from the Empire kitty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Ringo Star Get posted:

Gonna nerd it up here, the Gunboat is not made by the companies that make the TIEs, so the design aesthetic is different. It was the Empire's request for a ship that has shields, hyperspace, and can carry warheads to deal with the more durable Rebel ships. It escalated to the Missile Boat because the Imps want results to deal with a now more serious Rebel threat.

TIE Defenders, Advanced, and Avengers were Sienar's answer to be "Hey! Buy our fighters and not Cygnus!" Problem for all these ships is their expense: very costly and obviously reserved for special units and for a Moffs that steal from the Empire kitty.

None of those are real things though so it just ends up clashing with the rest of the art

• Locked thread