Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

I can recommend that you don't read the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Astro Ambulance posted:

The only bad Ghibli film is Earthsea, any others are just "less good".

ocean waves sucks rear end

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Brasseye posted:

I just finished Usagi Drop and while different to any other series Ive seen I really enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend something similar?

what part? the parenting? check the single dad thread. the general mood? josei is the keyword then

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Kingtheninja posted:

I didn't see it posted yet, but Wonderful Days was a pretty fun Korean Animated movie.
I remember seeing the Wonderful Days trailer and being blown away, and then hearing the movie isn't actually very good and was bummed

Brasseye posted:

Yotsuba is in a similar single dad vein with mostly fluffy slice of life stuff, but updates very, very rarely, and doesn't have much drama in it. Probably the best single dad manga that exists though

The Colonel posted:

I can recommend that you don't read the manga.
:yeah:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Brasseye posted:

Barakamon and seconding Yotsuba.

Alternatively,

Davincie posted:

check the single dad thread.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you I will give those a look. I also looked up the manga and regretted it :mrwhite:

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Davincie posted:

ocean waves sucks rear end

I like Ocean Waves. It's a nice, quiet little film.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Captain Invictus posted:

I remember seeing the Wonderful Days trailer and being blown away, and then hearing the movie isn't actually very good and was bummed

It's pretty by the numbers plotwise, but I thought it was really good looking.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Fate/Stay Night got added to Netflix here, I've heard of this, is it good?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kurtofan posted:

Fate/Stay Night got added to Netflix here, I've heard of this, is it good?

Which one? Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, a.k.a. the one by Ufotable from 2014/2015, is v.good. The other one, simply called Fate/Stay Night, a.k.a. the one by DEEN from 2006, is poo poo.

Either way, if you don't know about Fate/Stay Night, do not read any spoilers before watching the series. There are some really good twists that are way more enjoyable if you don't know about them in advance.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
i can't imagine anyone would be licencing the old DEEN adaption these days, so probably the good one.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I also doubt its deen but the job of licensors is to squeeze cash out of properties so getting fate/deen out there while f/z and fate ubw are super popular would not surprise me much.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The date says 2006.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sadly that's the bad DEEN one, then.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nailed it!

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Looking it up, the Unlimited Blade Works one appears to be on Netflix in the UK, US, and Canada, but not Australia (though it's on Crunchyroll there). I guess if VPNs still happen to work with Netflix (they've already started blocking some), you could watch it that way. Or perhaps try Viewster/Crunchyroll/Daisuki and hope wherever you are happens to have it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

smenj posted:

Looking it up, the Unlimited Blade Works one appears to be on Netflix in the UK, US, and Canada, but not Australia (though it's on Crunchyroll there). I guess if VPNs still happen to work with Netflix (they've already started blocking some), you could watch it that way. Or perhaps try Viewster/Crunchyroll/Daisuki and hope wherever you are happens to have it.

That'd be because it's up on AnimeLab :v:.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

It's also because the Netflix offering here is poo poo. You have 22 Jump Street but not 21 Jump Street? What the gently caress Netflix?

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

http://www.finder.com.au/netflix-australia-vs-netflix-us-tv-shows

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man, Hi-Score Girl is fantastic, just finished chapter 19, but the art is so baaaaaad. It's a shame. Like its stylized and all but still ugly, kinda like that maid dragon manga.

And speaking of maid dragon, it was funny and cute for a while and then the last few chapters came out and it took a turn for the rather creepy. Really unfortunate, since the shenanigans with the various dragons showing up was entertaining.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The art is good, you just don't like it, hth

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Nah

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you're insane

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hey:

Sword of the Stranger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Davincie posted:

you're insane
Please explain what makes the art in hi-score girl great Mr Davincie

Edit: I will admit it has improved a lot since the first volume which was roughhhhhh but it could still be improved a lot

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what makes it bad? you're the one who called it bad first

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The conclusion of the research I just carried out (looking at three images on google) is that the art looks fine

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The last few chapters have largely gotten better from my previous complaints, being the awful faces, body proportions, hands, etc, but it can still definitely be improved

Guessing there was a decent chunk of time taken off between the end of one arc and another since the art seems to have changed quite a bit since then, still has the stylized look but less hosed up hands, heads hanging off weirdly angled necks, etc

At chapter 19 for reference

Edit: a whole buncha hosed up hands in chapter 20, that's one of my pet peeves when reading manga, when someone can't draw hands and just kinda draw a lump with bent hot dogs coming off it

Current chapter 20 verdict still story good, art bad

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 24, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
OK having seen it now I still think Wind Rises is in the same sort of tier as Howl's and Ponyo, a decent film in most/all respects but nowhere near as captivating as the work the studio did in the 80s and 90s. The main character had absolutely zero charisma, almost all of the supporting cast was far more compelling than he was. Maybe that's how Jori Horikoshi was said to be like in real life for all I know but it made for a pretty dull narrative to follow.

Gorgeous animation though of course, not that that is surprising in the least.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Whatevs I was pretty captivated :shrug:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A Doomed Purloiner posted:

It's also because the Netflix offering here is poo poo. You have 22 Jump Street but not 21 Jump Street? What the gently caress Netflix?

Sometimes poo poo doesn't make sense.

In the US, we have the 2nd Persona 3 movie on Netflix, but not the 1st one. Why? :iiam:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Nate RFB posted:

OK having seen it now I still think Wind Rises is in the same sort of tier as Howl's and Ponyo, a decent film in most/all respects but nowhere near as captivating as the work the studio did in the 80s and 90s. The main character had absolutely zero charisma, almost all of the supporting cast was far more compelling than he was. Maybe that's how Jori Horikoshi was said to be like in real life for all I know but it made for a pretty dull narrative to follow.

Gorgeous animation though of course, not that that is surprising in the least.

are you saying Spirited Away isn't captivating :ohdear:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

StandardVC10 posted:

Whatevs I was pretty captivated :shrug:

:same:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Kurtofan posted:

are you saying Spirited Away isn't captivating :ohdear:
Yeah I've never been much of a Spirited Away fan, I probably liked Ponyo more even. I definitely realize I am alone on that one but man I just thought it was too weird and never got on board with it.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Is this also the manga recommendation thread? I've only ever read one manga (20th Century Boys), now I have quite a bit of time at work where there's nothing to do and one of the only unblocked sites is a manga site for some reason. I'm going through Pluto at the moment, help me find what to read after. Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life. Any recommendations are appreciated because I really don't know much about manga at all

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Urasawa's a pretty good gateway author. Lots of titles under his belt too, so you won't be wanting for a bit.

Paperhouse posted:

Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life.
It's shounen but I think Fullmetal Alchemist should be right up your alley. At least try the first two volumes, the second being the more important.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Paperhouse posted:

Is this also the manga recommendation thread? I've only ever read one manga (20th Century Boys), now I have quite a bit of time at work where there's nothing to do and one of the only unblocked sites is a manga site for some reason. I'm going through Pluto at the moment, help me find what to read after. Obviously I like Urasawa a lot, and am particularly interested in seinen stuff that's more sci-fi/mystery/thriller/fantasy than comedy or slice of life. Any recommendations are appreciated because I really don't know much about manga at all

Billy Bat

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Paperhouse posted:

Maybe it's only because I just finished catching up on it the other day, but the first thing that came to mind was the quite excellent "The Town Where Only I am Missing" (which has a currently airing anime as well under the inane name "ERASED"). Great thriller-esque mystery and great characters, if it can stick the landing for the ending it will go down as one of the best IMO.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Paperhouse posted:

Cops:
Manhole by Tsutsui Tetsuya is a good manga about cops trying to get to the bottom of a deadly disease outbreak.

Supernatural:
Mail

Science fiction/fantasy:
Dorohedoro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Paperhouse posted:

I've made quite a few recommendations in this thread with summaries and thoughts, thumbnails, etc if you're looking for some suggestions.