Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

bewbies posted:

As far as German accounts of the VVS go, "The Russian Air Force in the Eyes of the German Commanders" is the best primary source I'm aware of, available in pdf here (also, can take a look at "German Air Force Air Defense Operations" for more info on German AD stuff).

This is a pretty rad link for the source you mentioned as well as the other documents.

Is there anything similar in relation to Russian tanks as viewed by Germans and how their thought process developed and changed throughout the war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Empress Theonora posted:

What's the deal with WW2OL anyway? It seems like such a weirdly ambitious idea for an old-rear end MMO.

Back in 2002 even before Planetside was a thing a WW2 themed online always going on FPS is a fantastic idea, especially if you promise an almost realistic scale and sim level vehicle/plane handling and operation.

Sadly of course it promised more than the tech could deliver, plus at times even today WW2OL is really really really boring because it wants to to spend hours just sitting in the back of a truck or marching in game miles to get to the fight.

These days they fixed most of the stuff which hamstringed the games pacing but are in a constant struggle over their small rear end studio being financially able to leave the creaky old subscription model and do proper free to play (you don't pay you are stuck as rifle dood/early 1939 era vehicles).

I mean the game gets points at least for including the French, but sadly it will always be a get shot crawling through bushes in the middle of nowhere simulator than WW2OL.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I wish there was something like Men of War for the French campaign so I can get into a B1 and wreck a fuckton of PzIIs and early PzIIIs.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Ensign Expendable posted:

I wish there was something like Men of War for the French campaign so I can get into a B1 and wreck a fuckton of PzIIs and early PzIIIs.

You can do that in Steel Panthers.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

There's a bunch of MOW: AS2 mods that add the French and let you limit it to early war. You might have to check for additional missions, but I'm sure there's at least a couple on the workshop if you don't want to skirmish mode it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

SeanBeansShako posted:

Back in 2002 even before Planetside was a thing a WW2 themed online always going on FPS is a fantastic idea, especially if you promise an almost realistic scale and sim level vehicle/plane handling and operation.

Sadly of course it promised more than the tech could deliver, plus at times even today WW2OL is really really really boring because it wants to to spend hours just sitting in the back of a truck or marching in game miles to get to the fight.

These days they fixed most of the stuff which hamstringed the games pacing but are in a constant struggle over their small rear end studio being financially able to leave the creaky old subscription model and do proper free to play (you don't pay you are stuck as rifle dood/early 1939 era vehicles).

I mean the game gets points at least for including the French, but sadly it will always be a get shot crawling through bushes in the middle of nowhere simulator than WW2OL.

My experience very much was "spending forever getting somewhere before being mown down by an MG parked in a bunker a kilometer away" but it's probably worth noting I would actually like a game where the map sizes were like, a chunk of a WW2OL map. RO2 maps are so tiny and you spawn immediately behind the cover from the enemy and there's no real manuevering room ever. Also it'd be cool if truck/APC driving was an actual thing that was useful.

Of course maybe I am wildly overestimating the popularity of my hybrid game idea and nobody would play it. Such tends to be life.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I remember they were planning at one point considering adding the eastern front. We could have spent DAYS in the back of a lorry before being gunned down by some dick with a MG in a bush!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

I remember playing some Sega game as a kid, it was called Operation Europe or something like that. The first mission was the invasion of France, and I kept getting my butt kicked by the AI Germans until I figured out that the game lets you reorganize units. Turns out, French tanks aren't bad at all if you concentrate them where you need heavy firepower instead of having them blown up piecemeal. I went from hating the Char B as useless to being sad I can't use it in later missions. :v:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

my dad posted:

I remember playing some Sega game as a kid, it was called Operation Europe or something like that. The first mission was the invasion of France, and I kept getting my butt kicked by the AI Germans until I figured out that the game lets you reorganize units. Turns out, French tanks aren't bad at all if you concentrate them where you need heavy firepower instead of having them blown up piecemeal. I went from hating the Char B as useless to being sad I can't use it in later missions. :v:

You had an authentic WWII armour experience then.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
I have a question: What was the deadliest war? I don't mean in terms of gross body count, I'm more curious about body count per solider. I know this is a complex question with factors like "most deadly for which side?" and I'm intentionally keeping that vague. Which war/wars was the average soldier most likely to die in?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Heroes and Generals is also a WWII pew pew game. You get to ride a bicycle to battle, so most of my matches go "ride to for a minute or two, get shot, repeat." They added Russians... so you can fight Russians as an American, because why not.

However, there are rumors that that game is Pay-2-Win

Oh, and hate AAA developers all you want, but Battlefield always had big battlefields. Unless you're some sort disgrace-to-the-whole-family scrub who doesn't play 64 player maps.

Speaking of Mods, there's at least one with campaigns for WWI french. That's right, WWI. Might even be voiced.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I have a question: What was the deadliest war? I don't mean in terms of gross body count, I'm more curious about body count per solider. I know this is a complex question with factors like "most deadly for which side?" and I'm intentionally keeping that vague. Which war/wars was the average soldier most likely to die in?

I don't know if it's the most deadly war, but this one pretty much depopulated Paraguay:
http://www.britannica.com/event/War-of-the-Triple-Alliance

Encyclopedia Britannica posted:

The war left Paraguay utterly prostrate; its prewar population of approximately 525,000 was reduced to about 221,000 in 1871, of which only about 28,000 were men.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 22, 2016

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

JcDent posted:

Heroes and Generals is also a WWII pew pew game. You get to ride a bicycle to battle, so most of my matches go "ride to for a minute or two, get shot, repeat." They added Russians... so you can fight Russians as an American, because why not.

However, there are rumors that that game is Pay-2-Win

Oh, and hate AAA developers all you want, but Battlefield always had big battlefields. Unless you're some sort disgrace-to-the-whole-family scrub who doesn't play 64 player maps.

Speaking of Mods, there's at least one with campaigns for WWI french. That's right, WWI. Might even be voiced.

Forgotten Hope for BF1942 was the best IMO. Big maps, lots of variety (everything from Battleship duel maps with multiple players manning turrets on each ship to big armoured slugfests to one map with wacky German boondoggles vs. end of war US) , a moderate amount of realism for the BF1942 engine while not really sacrificing fun.

Also running the invasion of Crete with only a single JU-52 for the entire German team had to cram into. When the cabin got full you just surfed the wings. :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I miss battlefield 1942, why cant they do a proper remake :(

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

feedmegin posted:

I miss battlefield 1942, why cant they do a proper remake :(

tbh I'd be very surprised if we saw another similar FPS anytime soon. WW2 doesn't really jive with the whole "Every game has to have an extensive unlock and weapons customization system" shtick.

I mean RO2 kinda did but it was a hell of a lot more limited than like CODs or the newer Battlefields. I kinda liked it when each side got unique weapon sets :saddowns:

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Medal of Honor Airborne had a weapon upgrade system that gave you ridiculous poo poo like MP-40s with dual 64 round magazines and scopes for your Stg44. The American weapons didn't have upgrades that were that interesting, I remember a bayonet for the shotgun and that's about it.

My favourite thing was the C96 that you could get a stock, 20 round mag, and full auto upgrades for. Oh, and infinite ammo, since it was a pistol. That was some good poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Medal of Honor Airborne had a weapon upgrade system that gave you ridiculous poo poo like MP-40s with dual 64 round magazines and scopes for your Stg44. The American weapons didn't have upgrades that were that interesting, I remember a bayonet for the shotgun and that's about it.

My favourite thing was the C96 that you could get a stock, 20 round mag, and full auto upgrades for. Oh, and infinite ammo, since it was a pistol. That was some good poo poo.

Airborne was amazing, because it had really neat open levels with the "Parachute in every time you die" thing, but the weapon upgrades were ridiculous. Headshot another Nazi and suddenly the game slows down to show your StG 44 suddenly sprout a quick-detach ZF41 scope. And then your previously mostly realistic WW2 shooter suddenly throws a couple Juggernauts with MG 42s and backpack ammo boxes at you and the last level is an air raid on a ring of flak towers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Hey, don't talk poo poo about the rifle grenade upgrade for the M1.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Airborne was amazing, because it had really neat open levels with the "Parachute in every time you die" thing, but the weapon upgrades were ridiculous. Headshot another Nazi and suddenly the game slows down to show your StG 44 suddenly sprout a quick-detach ZF41 scope. And then your previously mostly realistic WW2 shooter suddenly throws a couple Juggernauts with MG 42s and backpack ammo boxes at you and the last level is an air raid on a ring of flak towers.

Wasn't one of the 'upgrades' to the MP40 just 'uhh... here's a knife for your off hand, so just go stab a dude I guess, go nuts'?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

tbh I'd be very surprised if we saw another similar FPS anytime soon. WW2 doesn't really jive with the whole "Every game has to have an extensive unlock and weapons customization system" shtick.

Kill 500 enemy players to earn a rifle sling, another 1000 to get an ammo pouch. Win 10 maps to get a rusty tin of gun grease. Get 5000 kills without dying once and you might get a bayonet.

Really not seeing the problem here. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

hogmartin posted:

I don't know if it's the most deadly war, but this one pretty much depopulated Paraguay:
http://www.britannica.com/event/War-of-the-Triple-Alliance

Yeah, as bad as the Napoleonic Wars or the Taiping Rebellion was at least Europe and China's population didn't consist most of old ladies for the rest of the 19th century.

Also, some dude mentioned FH and there was a tonne of weaponry and gear that'd match the unlock template of the modern BF games. Of course going down that route also means no dumb wing surfing. So RIP.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Comrade Koba posted:

Kill 500 enemy players to earn a rifle sling, another 1000 to get an ammo pouch. Win 10 maps to get a rusty tin of gun grease. Get 5000 kills without dying once and you might get a bayonet.

No see add another zero on all those unlocks, and then the option to buy WarBuxx to spend on EXCLUSIVE WARBUXX ITEMS that look way nicer and make a slightly different noise.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

MikeCrotch posted:

Yeah but was the Pe-2 cool enough to get its own game series? Didn't loving think so :colbert:

It had it's own expansion in the game series named after the other plane :eng101:

JcDent posted:

Pe-2 doesn't have awesome frontal cannons, why would I ride that instead of Il-2 in Warthunder?

Pe-2MV This version was armed with 20 mm ShVAK cannons and two 12.7 mm (0.5 in) in an underfuselage gondola, it also had one 7.62 mm (0.3 in) machine gun in the dorsal turret.

Pe-2Sh The PB-100 prototype was fitted with two 20 mm ShVAK cannons, and a single 12.7 mm (0.5 in) machine gun was fitted beneath the fuselage.

:eng101:

JcDent posted:

Well, you could find communists and fascists in any country... and you could find people who plain hated the Soviets in any country that was "invited" into the USSR. Imagine how disappointed the people were when Germans drove out the Soviets and turned out to be equally bad or worse.

This is actually a huge part of the book "Unknown Eastern Front, The: The Wehrmacht and Hitler’s Foreign Soldiers"

It's a really good read, although I wish it was longer.

Same reason why they started putting in fictional tanks like the WoT E-100 and WoT 105 mm Tiger II: wehraboos rub themselves raw to monuments of mediocrity.

Or because they needed more tanks and they had to go with prototypes :flaccid:

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's funny really, we got a shitload of arena based WW2/Cold War vehicles out now thanks to that game but nothing infantry based.

Well, except WW2Online.

Yes.

It's still going on.

Heroes and Generals, look it up.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

HEY GAL posted:

why does everyone here but me know a fuckload about tanks, jfc

TBF your time period doesn't have much of an excuse.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Jobbo_Fett posted:

They eventually just caved and now you can drive Leopard I and prototype Chieftains to compete with the Soviet 1950's tech.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

No see add another zero on all those unlocks, and then the option to buy WarBuxx to spend on EXCLUSIVE WARBUXX ITEMS that look way nicer and make a slightly different noise.

For a mere 300 WarBuxx, a Soviet player no longer risks being rounded up by the NKVD and arrested when he retreats from a map objective!

Special offer: For a one-time fee of 5000 WarBuxx, your character gets transferred to a non-combat auxiliary position behind the front. The game then automatically uninstalls.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Arquinsiel posted:

They eventually just caved and now you can drive Leopard I and prototype Chieftains to compete with the Soviet 1950's tech.

I'm not surprised. You needed to give something to the people who invest hundreds of hours into one of the 5(?) tech trees to get to the end-game stuff, and the Maus just ain't cutting it no more.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

my dad posted:

I love how you list a number of countries in Eastern Europe that were occupied by the Nazis through war as having fascist regimes, while leaving out France, Denmark, and the like.
I love how you didn't check the citation apparently. Here let me click that link for you:

quote:

Fascist movements grew in strength elsewhere in Europe. Hungarian fascist Gyula Gömbös rose to power as Prime Minister of Hungary in 1932 and attempted to entrench his Party of National Unity throughout the country; created an eight-hour work day, a forty-eight hour work week in industry, and sought to entrench a corporatist economy; and pursued irredentist claims on Hungary's neighbors.[135] The fascist Iron Guard movement in Romania soared in political support after 1933, gaining representation in the Romanian government, and an Iron Guard member assassinated Romanian prime minister Ion Duca.[136] During the 6 February 1934 crisis, France faced the greatest domestic political turmoil since the Dreyfus Affair when the fascist Francist Movement and multiple far right movements rioted en masse in Paris against the French government resulting in major political violence.[137] A variety of para-fascist governments that borrowed elements from fascism were formed during the Great Depression, including those of Greece, Lithuania, Poland, and Yugoslavia.[138]

Greece:

quote:

A coup d'état followed in 1936 and installed Ioannis Metaxas as the head of a dictatorial regime known as the 4th of August Regime. Although a dictatorship, Greece remained on good terms with Britain and was not allied with the Axis.

Lithuania

Already covered.

Poland

quote:

The 1926 May Coup of Józef Piłsudski turned rule of the Second Polish Republic over to the Sanacja movement. By the 1930s Poland had become increasingly authoritarian; a number of 'undesirable' political parties, such as the Polish Communists, had been banned and following Piłsudski's death, the regime, unable to appoint a new leader, began to show its inherent internal weaknesses and unwillingness to cooperate in any way with other political parties.

As result of the Munich Agreement of 1 October 1938, Poland invaded and occupied the Zaolzie Region of Czechoslovakia.

Yugoslavia

quote:

Alexander attempted to create a centralised Yugoslavia. He decided to abolish Yugoslavia's historic regions, and new internal boundaries were drawn for provinces or banovinas. The banovinas were named after rivers. Many politicians were jailed or kept under police surveillance. The effect of Alexander's dictatorship was to further alienate the non-Serbs from the idea of unity.[10] During his reign the flags of Yugoslav nations were banned. Communist ideas were banned also.

I deliberately left out examples like Allende's Chile because post WW2 being labelled fascist had less to do with the central tenets of fascism and more to do with pejorative.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Comrade Koba posted:

For a mere 300 WarBuxx, a Soviet player no longer risks being rounded up by the NKVD and arrested when he retreats from a map objective!

Special offer: For a one-time fee of 5000 WarBuxx, your character gets transferred to a non-combat auxiliary position behind the front. The game then automatically uninstalls.

Now you and your clan can sponser a tank for 50,0000 WarBuxx fresh off the line to wreck the fascist aggressors. You can pick the slogan on said said tank!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

TBF your time period doesn't have much of an excuse.

Part of me wants to see a ship of the line sized version of this bristling with guns and spin topping through the fields of Belgium.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Now you and your clan can sponser a tank for 50,0000 WarBuxx fresh off the line to wreck the fascist aggressors. You can pick the slogan on said said tank!

I'm picturing a T34/85 with "ETHICS IN GAME JOURNALISM" in Cyrillic letters covering the entire turret.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm driving from Amsterdam to Berlin, and again from Florence to Rome. What cool war poo poo can I stop at along the way?

(the Lions Mound, the Citadel at Lille, and that monument in Teutoburg Forest are already accounted for. Open to all periods. Would like to see some Maginot line and some Dragon teeth but the route doesn't look to support that very well.)

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Both of those tanks are fictional and also impossible. They weren't prototypes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Sorry, you're right, wrong term.

Point is they never existed and are only included to give people something other than the Maus to play.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

DiHK posted:

I'm driving from Amsterdam to Berlin, and again from Florence to Rome. What cool war poo poo can I stop at along the way?

(the Lions Mound, the Citadel at Lille, and that monument in Teutoburg Forest are already accounted for. Open to all periods. Would like to see some Maginot line and some Dragon teeth but the route doesn't look to support that very well.)

The war museum in Overloon is pretty great, it's the biggest war museum in the Netherlands. Very big collection of vehicles like a Panther (that was taken out of action in Overloon during the battle), Seehund, T-34, couple of Shermans and British stuff, as well as more modern vehicles. Loads of Allied equipment like trucks etc as well. I don't know when you'll be taking your trip but if you can plan it visit the yearly Militracks event, where you can take rides on WW2 vehicles for a couple of bucks.

http://www.oorlogsmuseum.nl/en

There is also the new National Military Museum in Soest. It's collection is much wider ranging period wise from 3000 bc to present day.

https://www.nmm.nl/

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Huh; I thought the E-100 and the 10cm tiger were both designs that someone was going to try and make, just germany was too exploded too have the manufacturing capability to do that by the point it got to them? They'd definitely not be prototypes, but I thought they were "real" in the sense that some lunatic in a nazi war office was excitedly flinging his blueprints at people.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I just wanna know why we aren't getting a Ratte yet.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

The E-100 actually entered the prototype phase, but it was never completed.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

spectralent posted:

Huh; I thought the E-100 and the 10cm tiger were both designs that someone was going to try and make, just germany was too exploded too have the manufacturing capability to do that by the point it got to them? They'd definitely not be prototypes, but I thought they were "real" in the sense that some lunatic in a nazi war office was excitedly flinging his blueprints at people.

At least for the E-100 I'm pretty sure Pasholok said the 15 cm gun it has in the game is way too big to fit in the turret, especially with the turret sides being way thicker in game than they should be. A 15 cm gun has a gigantic recoil force that takes some huge rear end dampeners to absorb.

Getting a tank gun into a turret is actually pretty tricky business, especially for long guns. You kinda have to mount it more or less balanced or it becomes prohibitively heavy to elevate, which makes the part mounted inside the turret pretty long. It becomes even longer when it recoils, and there's a tradeoff: by making the recoil travel longer you can make the recoil dampers slightly weaker. Then you need to make sure the breech doesn't hit the turret roof when firing at max depression, and when you've done that you need to make sure the entire turret isn't too unbalanced where it sits on the turret ring because otherwise it's gonna be really heavy to traverse.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 23, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Aaah; I assumed the E-100 was the 128mm one. Apologies; I don't actually play WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there's no general early modern history thread any more so i will put this here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicisbeo

sometimes the past is cool because the people in it were not very different from us, but sometimes for the opposite reason

• Locked thread