Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I don't really see what's so important about that one overdrive thing but I guess I just gave up thinking about what score chasers are doing ages ago

Like there's no difference to me between that and finding the optimal OD path or whatever, at some point it's just game mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Tempo 119 posted:

I don't really see what's so important about that one overdrive thing but I guess I just gave up thinking about what score chasers are doing ages ago

Like there's no difference to me between that and finding the optimal OD path or whatever, at some point it's just game mechanics

This exploit required you to have two local friends to get the highest possible score, especially for vocals. And not in a fun, interesting, speedrun-sequence-break kind of way. It was tedious, and horrible, and the game is much better (for the 0.01% of active players who actually care about top 10 leaderboards) without it.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I used to play the poo poo out of the previous rock band games, so I've been looking at getting this for a while, but I have to ask before I do:

1. Is super speed still a thing?

2. Can you play the crazy awesome guitar DLC packs from RB3 and 2 like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix yet or are they not working with the game yet?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I used to play the poo poo out of the previous rock band games, so I've been looking at getting this for a while, but I have to ask before I do:

1. Is super speed still a thing?

2. Can you play the crazy awesome guitar DLC packs from RB3 and 2 like Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimi Hendrix yet or are they not working with the game yet?

1) Yes, and it's adjustable now from 1.25x to 2.5x
2) Yep, just about all the old DLC is working and exports are rolling out now (the RB1 export was just released today)

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Is there any news about the Doors promo pack?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
I hope the leaderboard wipe + update makes it possible for them to eventually make the leaderboards better (eg. more like RB3).
In RB3 when you filtered the leaderboard to friends it actually filtered the leaderboard to friends, and you could still see the worldwide rank of each friends score. In RB4 the numbers are just line counters (the top friend is labeled 1st place even if his score is actually 200th place). I have no idea why that big retarded crown sprite is there if the friends leaderboard in RB4 can't even show what ranks your friends are.
The band leaderboard is mostly useless too, since it no longer allows joint ranks or something. Previously all band members would get a tied rank for their band score. In RB4 you could score 1st place worldwide on a song and feel all proud, and the game gives you 4th place just because your friend's gamertag begins with a different letter of the alphabet.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 22, 2016

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Yeaaaaaaaaah Pro Drums on Maps, I'm well happy. Thanks for the download advice, MacBook Air Gamer, you beautiful bastard.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
I still can't download any of The Doors or Snoop Dogg tracks :smith:

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Should I just start buying all the instrument controllers that come through my town's goodwill and shipping them to goons at reasonable price? People always complaining about the difficulty/cost of guitars and drumsets and my place has like four of each every day. Stopped by there today and got GH:L still sealed for $30.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orange Harrison posted:

In RB3 when you filtered the leaderboard to friends it actually filtered the leaderboard to friends, and you could still see the worldwide rank of each friends score. In RB4 the numbers are just line counters (the top friend is labeled 1st place even if his score is actually 200th place). I have no idea why that big retarded crown sprite is there if the friends leaderboard in RB4 can't even show what ranks your friends are.

I'd argue that this is kind of a niche use case, but I can bring it up. Ideally it would show both rankings.

Orange Harrison posted:

The band leaderboard is mostly useless too, since it no longer allows joint ranks or something. Previously all band members would get a tied rank for their band score. In RB4 you could score 1st place worldwide on a song and feel all proud, and the game gives you 4th place just because your friend's gamertag begins with a different letter of the alphabet.

And this is just a display quirk, you can rest easy knowing you're all actually #1 if all four scores are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if this is fixed in the patch, but if it's not, I can bring it up too. I'll make sure ties display correctly on my leaderboard site even if it doesn't get fixed in-game.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. It's not the calibration. After missing the BRE of Vasoline I KNOW I hit (I always hit it when I had working drums in 2/3) I started looking at the little light up bit at the bottom of the screen when doing it during the score screen. I can hit any cymbal or pad in VERY quick succession and have a double blink happen. When hitting the pedal, COMPLETELY REMOVING MY FOOT, and then hitting it again in the same time/span/whatever as the BRE for Vasoline the light just comes on and never goes off.

The pedal is loving garbage and since I bought RB4 for the drums I'm probably going to return it in this coming week. gently caress that poo poo.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If I want Bark at the Moon and didn't get that bundle before, am I out of luck?

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Rusty Kettle posted:

If I want Bark at the Moon and didn't get that bundle before, am I out of luck?

The bundle is still for sale on 360/PS3, but like the full version of 2112 they don't have bundle-only songs working in RB4 yet. It'll get there eventually.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. It's not the calibration. After missing the BRE of Vasoline I KNOW I hit (I always hit it when I had working drums in 2/3) I started looking at the little light up bit at the bottom of the screen when doing it during the score screen. I can hit any cymbal or pad in VERY quick succession and have a double blink happen. When hitting the pedal, COMPLETELY REMOVING MY FOOT, and then hitting it again in the same time/span/whatever as the BRE for Vasoline the light just comes on and never goes off.

The pedal is loving garbage and since I bought RB4 for the drums I'm probably going to return it in this coming week. gently caress that poo poo.

Out of curiosity, have you done the firmware update for the RB4 drums? I only have the 360 drums myself and can't attest to any outstanding issues post-firmware update, but it's designed to fix some issues with rapid note detection and kick pedal accuracy inherent to the RB4 kit out of the box.

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

pksage posted:

I'd argue that this is kind of a niche use case, but I can bring it up. Ideally it would show both rankings.

And this is just a display quirk, you can rest easy knowing you're all actually #1 if all four scores are the same. I wouldn't be surprised if this is fixed in the patch, but if it's not, I can bring it up too. I'll make sure ties display correctly on my leaderboard site even if it doesn't get fixed in-game.

Hope the next patch puts your name in the credits a second time. :allears:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

ixnay posted:

The bundle is still for sale on 360/PS3, but like the full version of 2112 they don't have bundle-only songs working in RB4 yet. It'll get there eventually.

Very good! I just bought it via the online store. Thanks!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Trash Boat posted:

Out of curiosity, have you done the firmware update for the RB4 drums? I only have the 360 drums myself and can't attest to any outstanding issues post-firmware update, but it's designed to fix some issues with rapid note detection and kick pedal accuracy inherent to the RB4 kit out of the box.

Huh. There's a firmware update for my plastic instruments. Guess I'll look around for a USB mini cable.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Huh. There's a firmware update for my plastic instruments. Guess I'll look around for a USB mini cable.

The firmware update makes a MASSIVE difference. Internet Famous RB drummer IBitePrettyHard worked with Harmonix and MadCatz directly for several months to get it where it is now. I just wish people didn't actually have to do a manual update to get those fixes. :(

It won't fix every single problem -- in particular, I think the physical actuator on the RB4 kick pedal is higher up than it should be -- but it will help a lot.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
If someone wants to start a small fund for their new community guy so he can get an account and read the old azurite/butros Helldump thread I would be willing to chip in.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Gaspar Lewis posted:

If someone wants to start a small fund for their new community guy so he can get an account and read the old azurite/butros Helldump thread I would be willing to chip in.

What/link?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

MacBook Air Gamer posted:

To clarify this post, you go to My Games and Apps, highlight RB4, hit Start and select "Manage Game". Scroll all the way to the right until you hit the "Ready To Install" section.

Not sure why, but this isn't showing up for me. I've got a "ready to install" section, but it's all old 360 games that they've ported to the new console. There's nothing under the RB4 game other than my savegame files and all the stuff I've already downloaded.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It doesn't show up there for everyone unfortunately. You may have to go into the music store and download them all individually.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735865

Oh my god was that really almost a decade ago what am I doing with my life

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

FirstPlayer posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2735865

Oh my god was that really almost a decade ago what am I doing with my life

Blows my mind to realize SA hasn't actually been getting worse, it was always this bad.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
Wait, the subject of that Helldump you linked is AzuriteReaction, the self-important Rock Band drummer? :aaa:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Also he was personally singled out and banned from RMA-ing pedals because of how many he destroyed.

MacBook Air Gamer
May 6, 2007

Here I go, deep type flow.
Jacques Cousteau could never get this low.
So was this the week with no DLC because of the update patch or something?

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.
http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WrTWDspFPKJTFtkwhQmBjNoVo3i6KbAiNFhbqxeOsJw/edit?usp=sharing

There is now a live marketplace issue tracker thing. That sure beats scrolling through a thread for the latest revision of an Excel workbook.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

So I just found a new super weird, albeit not terribly intrusive glitch. Now that I have the RB1 Export, if I sort by difficulty, hold the orange button and select the shortcut to the Nightmare tier, it instead jumps to the song Nightmare from the RB1 setlist (though repeatedly tapping the orange button to get to the tier works fine). :psyduck:

Trash Boat fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 26, 2016

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Had friends over to play the Harmonies upgrades for the RB1 export, and it was really easy and convenient to find the songs because in RB4 you can sort songs out by what game they originally came from just like in RB3 and we totally didn't have to just google the setlist and search for each individual song.

And don't suggest "date acquired" because the songs are only coming through in chunks thanks to Xbone's terrible, terrible infrastructure.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Beelzebozo posted:

Wait, the subject of that Helldump you linked is AzuriteReaction, the self-important Rock Band drummer? :aaa:

The one and only. And believe me, it's a goddamn travesty that all the images from the thread were on waffleimages.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

FirstPlayer posted:

The one and only. And believe me, it's a goddamn travesty that all the images from the thread were on waffleimages.

Wow. Incredible. I never really liked that dude's "online persona" or whatever. But it looks like he's an actual dbag in real life too, so now I feel a lot better about disliking him. Is there a Helldump on BillTVShow? Because something tells me that guy is a legit tool as well.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Wow. Incredible. I never really liked that dude's "online persona" or whatever. But it looks like he's an actual dbag in real life too, so now I feel a lot better about disliking him. Is there a Helldump on BillTVShow? Because something tells me that guy is a legit tool as well.

Yeah, and how 'bout that "NEMO" guy!? Oh wait...

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, and how 'bout that "NEMO" guy!? Oh wait...

Oh yeah, I know about that one. He made goons.txt recently!

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/676144655390654465

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Orange Harrison posted:

Had friends over to play the Harmonies upgrades for the RB1 export, and it was really easy and convenient to find the songs because in RB4 you can sort songs out by what game they originally came from just like in RB3 and we totally didn't have to just google the setlist and search for each individual song.

This was recognized as an important issue to the players during the reddit AMA, and they confirmed disc headers are coming in a future patch. I've actually been singled out as someone who cares way too much about the song list (:dukedog:) and I've been working with Harmonix on it. (I also finally applied for a job there yesterday.)

Beelzebozo posted:

Is there a Helldump on BillTVShow? Because something tells me that guy is a legit tool as well.

I just learned the other day that he helped Harmonix with some vocals thing at some point, and apparently he was nice to work with!

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Trash Boat posted:

So I just found a new super weird, albeit not terribly intrusive glitch. Now that I have the RB1 Export, if I sort by difficulty, hold the orange button and select the shortcut to the Nightmare tier, it instead jumps to the song Nightmare from the RB1 setlist (though repeatedly tapping the orange button to get to the tier works fine). :psyduck:

This is fixed in the upcoming update FYI. (the same bug also happens with Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold)

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Beelzebozo posted:

Oh yeah, I know about that one. He made goons.txt recently!

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/676144655390654465

I don't know if that's actually him, I was just being a poo poo.

pksage posted:

(I also finally applied for a job there yesterday.)

Don't bother. John T. Drake is gone and he probably took his Diet Coke with him. :smith:

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Something tells me that a forum dedicated to customs being hosted on pksage.com won't be super cool with Harmonix if they officially hire pksage as an employee. Frankly, I'm much more concerned with the longevity of those forums than Harmonix at this point.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
Best of luck to pksage getting that HMX job. Make the seven months you're there before being downsized count, buddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Gaspar Lewis posted:

Best of luck to pksage getting that HMX job. Make the seven months you're there before being downsized count, buddy!

:iceburn: