Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Read Under the Banner of Heaven, this has been going on for a long, long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Lol look at this Ted Cruz guy lie through his teeth.

quote:

"I had purchased an individual policy and Blue Cross Blue Shield canceled all their individual policies in the state of Texas effective December 31st," Cruz explained. "So our health care got canceled. We got a notice in the mail. Blue Cross Blue Shield was leaving the market."

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/politics/ted-cruz-health-insurance-obamacare/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Yeah, that's completely false. BCBSTX cancelled all of their PPO individual products, but they are still selling HMO products in the individual market. Ted Cruz would have been automatically re-enrolled in to an HMO product effective Jan 1, 2016 unless he specifically opted out of automatic re-enrollment.

quote:

Keep the plan we pick for you. We will be moving our Blue Choice PPO members to our new Blue Advantage Plus plan, an HMO plan with added out-of-network benefits.

http://www.bcbstx.com/company-info/news/news?lid=iggh3603#new-plan

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LPR7DktumA

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Joementum posted:

You can watch the snowfall from Paul Ryan's balcony while listening to extremely questionable music choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6aECjnpLTw

This is wonderful. I hope this becomes a tradition for the speaker.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another day, another movie theater shooting. Drunk guy open carrying in a movie theater in Renton, WA whips out his gun and starts playing with it, shoots woman sitting in front of him when it goes off.

You forgot to mention the movie they were watching.

Go on, guess which one!

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Bernie's got three decades of Senate experience to back up his 'unthreatening to our American ways' credentials if he wants to keep making it a tentpole of his brand.

Minor quibble: Bernie was elected to the Senate in 2006. He served in the House between 1991 and then.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You forgot to mention the movie they were watching.

Go on, guess which one!

Bayghazi? It was Bayghazi, wasn't it.

I Love Loosies
Jan 4, 2013

Condiv posted:

and you'll have to explain to me why i can't possibly support bernie and support local candidates at the same time. is my vote for local democrats going to count less cause i voted for bernie?

Because your a Bernie supporter and all Bernie supporters are dumb and naive and only smart Hillary supporters are smart enough to understand that local and state goverment exist

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Counterpoint: Quebec.

Ah yes, Canadian Texas.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Minor quibble: Bernie was elected to the Senate in 2006. He served in the House between 1991 and then.

Bayghazi? It was Bayghazi, wasn't it.

Here I was thinking it was Ride Along 2.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Another day, another movie theater shooting. Drunk guy open carrying in a movie theater in Renton, WA whips out his gun and starts playing with it, shoots woman sitting in front of him when it goes off.

Good guy with a gun.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Reik posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/21/politics/ted-cruz-health-insurance-obamacare/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Yeah, that's completely false. BCBSTX cancelled all of their PPO individual products, but they are still selling HMO products in the individual market. Ted Cruz would have been automatically re-enrolled in to an HMO product effective Jan 1, 2016 unless he specifically opted out of automatic re-enrollment.

This is true, as I had the same thing happen to me, but being smarter than Cruz I got a new plan through UHC rather than keep the BCBSTX HMO. Now what I have to figure out is why Obamacare never voided out my first plan because surprise! I'm now billed two months for BCBSTX on top of my new UHC coverage, even though I went through Obamacare to get UHC and did everything they said to get new coverage.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Doctor Butts posted:

Good guy with a gun.

False flag.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

On Terra Firma posted:

from the chat

Now I'm imagining a south/north korea situation where the nights watch blast that to psych out the wildlings/white walkers

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

Good guy with a gun.

He even turned himself in! Such a responsible gun owner.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

This is true, as I had the same thing happen to me, but being smarter than Cruz I got a new plan through UHC rather than keep the BCBSTX HMO. Now what I have to figure out is why Obamacare never voided out my first plan because surprise! I'm now billed two months for BCBSTX on top of my new UHC coverage, even though I went through Obamacare to get UHC and did everything they said to get new coverage.

Was it automatic withdrawal for the BCBSTX plan or do you have bills outstanding? There's no penalty for not paying your premiums for BCBSTX, you'll just lapse coverage (lol).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Boon posted:

Ah yes, Canadian Texas.

I thought Alberta was Canadian Texas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

You can watch the snowfall from Paul Ryan's balcony while listening to extremely questionable music choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6aECjnpLTw

I really hope he gets an intern/staffer to take this stream's recording and do a time lapse afterwards.

Reik posted:

Are we lucky enough for BCBSTX to publicly refute his claims? A Presidential Candidate claiming your company up and bailed on one of the largest states in the country seems like something you'd want to set the record straight on.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Reik posted:

Was it automatic withdrawal for the BCBSTX plan or do you have bills outstanding? There's no penalty for not paying your premiums for BCBSTX, you'll just lapse coverage (lol).

It was not automatic, no (thankfully). Going to contact Obamacare rep (again) to figure out what's going on.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I thought Alberta was Canadian Texas.

You're not totally wrong, but Alberta elected the left-wing party, while Quebec had to choose between Austerity Assholes and an independantist party that took the wrong kind of nationalist turn.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Boon posted:

Ah yes, Canadian Texas.

I thought Alberta was Canadian Texas though :confused:

edit: Well gently caress I should probably learn to refresh the thread first

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

It was not automatic, no (thankfully). Going to contact Obamacare rep (again) to figure out what's going on.

Insurance companies are swamped all over the US right now because a very large number of individuals and small groups waited until the last few days to sign up for January effective coverage. Maybe this is a result of that? I say this in no way as a representative of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are we lucky enough for BCBSTX to publicly refute his claims? A Presidential Candidate claiming your company up and bailed on one of the largest states in the country seems like something you'd want to set the record straight on.

Gods I hope so. I'm an actuary at BCBSTX and there's been so much false information thrown around by politicians and bureaucrats it would be amazing to see one caught in a very blatant lie get called out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

More from the sexist Republicans desk:

quote:

A Senate committee chairman imposed a dress code on Kansans testifying on elections or ethics bills that explicitly prohibits women from wearing skimpy skirts or blouses with plunging necklines while establishing no wardrobe restrictions exclusively for men.

In a series of interviews Thursday, a bipartisan group of women senators responded to the rules with varying degrees of dismay.

Sen. Mitch Holmes, a St. John Republican and chairman of the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee, said Rule No. 2 of his 11-point code of conduct was intended to make certain each participant was dressed in a respectful manner. The instructions implemented solely at his discretion say each conferee must present themselves in “professional attire.”

He offered more detailed guidance to women conferees because he had observed provocatively clad females at the Capitol. Revealing too much of the body during testimony to the Senate committee is a distraction, he said.

“For ladies,” the rule says, “low-cut necklines and mini-skirts are inappropriate.”

His written set of guidelines didn’t denote a minimum skirt length nor did it set a maximum depth of cut for blouses.

“It's one of those things that’s hard to define,” Holmes said. “Put it out there and let people know we’re really looking for you to be addressing the issue rather than trying to distract or bring eyes to yourself.”

Holmes said he considered stipulating men had to wear suit and tie when addressing his Senate committee, but decided males didn’t need supplemental instruction on how to look professional. He expects lobbyists to be attuned to the rules when interacting with his committee, but acknowledged infrequent visitors to the Statehouse might not be aware of each fashion mandate.

Broads in the office amirite :rolleyes:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

"I have made a terrible mistake. Possibly several."

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

:dogbutton:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Darth Walrus posted:

"I am drowning, there's no sign of land."

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx

"Hail Hydra"

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Trabisnikof posted:

More from the sexist Republicans desk:

Broads in the office amirite :rolleyes:

Sharia law :tinfoil:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Reik posted:

Insurance companies are swamped all over the US right now because a very large number of individuals and small groups waited until the last few days to sign up for January effective coverage. Maybe this is a result of that? I say this in no way as a representative of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas.

Gods I hope so. I'm an actuary at BCBSTX and there's been so much false information thrown around by politicians and bureaucrats it would be amazing to see one caught in a very blatant lie get called out.

Yeah, from my prior calls with BCBSTX reps I was told I couldn't directly cancel the coverage with them since I signed up through Obamacare, so I'm not placing blame on them. I just hope whatever the situation is with Obamacare and BCBSTX that I don't get hosed with extra bills.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

"Don't look, but I think the man standing in the second row behind you is DHS."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh boy, thought this was Mountain Goats lyrics for a bit but turns out I just heard them that way as I read your post. Weird.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

"Well I was going to send this to the dry-cleaners anyway, maybe they'll be able to get his flop sweat off."

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Meanwhile, while the rest of the US government is frothing over how to destroy encryption to secure are freedumbs, NSA Chief Mike Rogers of all people points out that trying to legislate against encryption is loving stupid.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

THATS NOT A CHRISTIAN SIDE HUG!

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Sydin posted:

Meanwhile, while the rest of the US government is frothing over how to destroy encryption to secure are freedumbs, NSA Chief Mike Rogers of all people points out that trying to legislate against encryption is loving stupid.

I was like, oh, this is a good, reasonable article, and then I hit this line:

quote:

Hacking allows law enforcement to plant malicious code on someone’s computer in order to gain access to the photos, messages, and text before they were ever encrypted in the first place, and after they’ve been decrypted.

I'm just a country programmer, not a big city security expert, but this is like 90s level local TV news bit on the Internet bad a level of description.

e: OK, her full article on hacking is marginally better, but there's this weird concept that its some dark sorcery only the FBI and NSA can do.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 22, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Sydin posted:

quote:

Meanwhile, Sens. Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., are reportedly planning their own proposed legislation to require law enforcement access.

This is the final Straw CA, you're all as officially culpable for your Senate representation as Texas is for Cruz.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Hover hand, hard mode?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

RuanGacho posted:

This is the final Straw CA, you're all as officially culpable for your Senate representation as Texas is for Cruz.

Trust me, we hate Feinstein just as much as the rest of the country does, if not more. The problem is that every time she's up for election, It's Feinstein vs a Republican who has to somehow go even farther to the right than Feinstein to look conservative. She's also super entrenched in the Dem establishment, so fat chance of her getting ousted by somebody more liberal. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Interesting Bernie Sanders caucus GOTV strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEJiAOMdPAU

• Locked thread