Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I read a lot of stuff on the Final Fantasy X entry about Kihmari, and I think it's missing a very useful thing you can do with Kimahri: spend the first two Level 1 Key Spheres you get on him to take him down Rikku's path to get very early access to Steal and Use (I personally do this right after getting most or all of the stuff on his part of the grid, at the very least grab the Strength and HP stuff). Even after Rikku joins you, the ability to steal and use special items is so useful that I think having two characters with them makes a lot of sense. Plus Rikku has a lot of useful nodes on her part of the grid anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Nickoten posted:

I read a lot of stuff on the Final Fantasy X entry about Kihmari, and I think it's missing a very useful thing you can do with Kimahri: spend the first two Level 1 Key Spheres you get on him to take him down Rikku's path to get very early access to Steal and Use (I personally do this right after getting most or all of the stuff on his part of the grid, at the very least grab the Strength and HP stuff). Even after Rikku joins you, the ability to steal and use special items is so useful that I think having two characters with them makes a lot of sense. Plus Rikku has a lot of useful nodes on her part of the grid anyway.

Another spoiler-y reason this is a good idea (does a 10+ year old game still need spoilers?): he has a solo fight where both opponents have valuable items

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Centipeed posted:

I added your various tips, and removed the items that Radom Hajile specifically pointed out.

I'm keen to keep it to tips that most people would agree on, but I haven't played Dragon's Dogma. Would one of you be willing to essentially copy and paste the tips, remove the bad ones, and then post the remainder in this thread so I can make sure the wiki page doesn't have any crap in it?

These two were the most glaring:

The rest should be fine, a little splergy but nothing as bad as those two.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

The second bit could be worded better to make it more useful, but a bit of information about character creation couldn't hurt. I'll try:

- When you create a character, their physical attributes have minor effects. Heavy characters regenerate stamina a bit more slowly than lighter ones, but use less stamina when using special attacks and can carry more weight before being encumbered. It's also harder for them to be carried off by certain flying enemies. "Average" weight is 70-89kg. Shorter characters have a shorter reach in melee combat, but are also smaller targets for an enemy's attacks.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 21, 2016

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

One thing I noticed for Fallout 4, If you make a sniper rifle (or find maybe I made mine) you have to HOLD the left stick to hold your breath (which lowers AP as long as you hold it) clicking it and letting go doesn't do anything.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Eldred posted:

Another spoiler-y reason this is a good idea (does a 10+ year old game still need spoilers?): he has a solo fight where both opponents have valuable items

Specifically, level 3 Key Spheres, which are necessary for a character to go from the end of their own sphere grid sections and enter another character's.

The next spot is quite a ways away, IIRC.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

One thing I noticed for Fallout 4, If you make a sniper rifle (or find maybe I made mine) you have to HOLD the left stick to hold your breath (which lowers AP as long as you hold it) clicking it and letting go doesn't do anything.

Yes, this totally screwed me up. Whatever your bash/grenade button is must be held, draining AP for as long as your hold your breath.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I was bouncing around random wiki pages and noticed this uh, insightful bit of information on the Deus Ex: Human Revolution page:

quote:

- The shotgun is a rape machine, even without the upgrade.
:catstare:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Anything for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath?

I picked up the whole cheap Oddworld bundle and there's nothing on the Wiki for any of them, so while I don't plan on playing any of the other games if there are any helpful tips for them, too, other people may appreciate them.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tylana posted:

Yes, this totally screwed me up. Whatever your bash/grenade button is must be held, draining AP for as long as your hold your breath.

This reminds of another important FO4 bit; gun bash and throw grenade/mine are tied to the same button. Tap it to bash, hold it for a second until you hear a click then release it to throw a grenade.

Corollary: do not gun bash. Sooner or later, you will throw a grenade at a foe two feet away when you means to bash, and blow yourself up. Instead, just carry a small melee weapon and switch to it to deal with weak foes. Pickman's Blade is great.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Count Chocula posted:

Anything for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath?

The main focus of the game is to collect enough money to pay for an operation. Despite how the entire game is seemingly structured, do not agree to the operation until you have finished everything you want to get done, bought as many upgrades you want, and done all the bounties you can stomach. Getting in the boat to go to the operation is the point of no return, and the game undergoes a rather large shift in gameplay for the remaining 1/2-1/3 of the game. Money has no value or purpose after this point, so spend freely prior to getting the operation.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Try to take everyone alive. You'll have a much less frustrating time doing this than desperately scrounging for money at the end of an act.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Random Hajile posted:

The second bit could be worded better to make it more useful, but a bit of information about character creation couldn't hurt. I'll try:

John Murdoch posted:

I was bouncing around random wiki pages and noticed this uh, insightful bit of information on the Deus Ex: Human Revolution page:

Thanks everyone! I updated the Dragon's Dogma page, and removed that tip from the Deus Ex page.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Centipeed posted:

Thanks everyone! I updated the Dragon's Dogma page, and removed that tip from the Deus Ex page.

All is well with this world. :golfclap:

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I know,the shotgun barely work past arms-length in HR.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

well, the working distance for rape is usually even shorter, so

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Simply lol if you are throwing away credits on shotgun upgrades when you could be turning your revolver into an explosive laser-accurate rape machine instead. Good call, John Murdoch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

My Lovely Horse posted:

well, the working distance for rape is usually even shorter, so

Depends on how well made the machine is, clearly! Japan has made great strides in this area.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Let's talk about video games!

What should I know about The Sorcerer King?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

paco650 posted:

Simply lol if you are throwing away credits on shotgun upgrades when you could be turning your revolver into an explosive laser-accurate rape machine instead. Good call, John Murdoch.
Deus Ex: Human Revolution really helped drive home for me that the non-lethal approach inexplicably feels more powerful than the lethal approach. I stroll into the air vents, tap the trigger on my dart gun twice, and both dudes are out forever. Trying that with a machine gun results in needless pandemonium :smug:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Depends on how well made the machine is, clearly! Japan has made great strides in this area.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Let's talk about video games!

What should I know about The Sorcerer King?

You only need to kill one of the SKs lieutenants, despite it implying you have to kill both.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dr. Quarex posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution really helped drive home for me that the non-lethal approach inexplicably feels more powerful than the lethal approach. I stroll into the air vents, tap the trigger on my dart gun twice, and both dudes are out forever. Trying that with a machine gun results in needless pandemonium :smug:

Just sneak past them to avoid making a mess :smug:

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
They'll only know you were there because someone stole all their candy bars.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Male Man posted:

They'll only know you were there because someone stole all their candy bars.

And if there's time, the whole vending machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ahundredbux posted:

Just sneak past them to avoid making a mess :smug:

My usual playstyle's to go sneaking past the general 9-5 guards unseen, just because it's not their fault I'm there, and quietly knock out anyone else for others to deal with later. The soldiers bursting into the Alice Garden Pods with machineguns all mysteriously died from armor-piercing silenced pistol rounds though :ninja:.

Also as general Deus Ex HR advice; All you need to get through 90% of the game is the starting 10mm pistol. Get yourself the silencer and armor-piercing upgrades, then start popping heads because even the big scary heavy-machinegun guys die in one shot.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

No kill is the only real way to play DE:HR, but man is it a pain to save that pilot when she crashes without killing people.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Geektox posted:

Trying to play no-kill, no-detection put me off both DE:HR and Dishonoured. Not the games' fault, but really my stupid achievement obsession. My tip is to not play those games this way unless you hate yourself.

At least not the first time through.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

drat Dirty Ape posted:

No kill is the only real way to play DE:HR, but man is it a pain to save that pilot when she crashes without killing people.

The real shitshow part of that is Trying to EMP the B.O.X. Robot without it exploding close enough to kill Malik outright.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Geektox posted:

For games ostensibly about making choices and playing your own way, it seems like a lot of people unironically insist that it's the best and only way to play.

Dishonored is especially awkward because AFAIK like 90% of your arsenal is made for killing dudes in super cool ways. At least HR is already hilariously slanted towards non-lethal stealth due to dumb design decisions.

Keeshhound posted:

At least not the first time through.

Yeah, that.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The real shitshow part of that is Trying to EMP the B.O.X. Robot without it exploding close enough to kill Malik outright.

Yeah, I had to replay that part like a dozen times until I finally got it.

edit: replay not reply

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 23, 2016

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

For games ostensibly about making choices and playing your own way, it seems like a lot of people unironically insist that it's the best and only way to play.

Dishonored is especially awkward because AFAIK like 90% of your arsenal is made for killing dudes in super cool ways. At least HR is already hilariously slanted towards non-lethal stealth due to dumb design decisions.

I tend to gravitate towards no-kills no-alarms in games where that's an option, but just murdering the poo poo out of everyone in Dishonoured is (a) a totally valid way to play and (b) also fun as hell. Same goes for the original Deus Ex.

DXHR leans on you really heavily to play stealthy nonlethal, though. :(

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Dishonoured was no kill, no see the first run through.

Which made the second run through of psychotic murder hobo oh so glorious.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The best way to play any Deus Ex game is to be stealthy right up to the point where you get detected or poo poo hits the fan, then kill your way out of it without saving ever.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

The best way to play any Deus Ex game is to be stealthy right up to the point where you get detected or poo poo hits the fan, then kill your way out of it without saving ever.
Agreed. This is exactly how I've played every Deus Ex game.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Scientastic posted:

Dishonored, the original Deus Ex, and DX;HR all did a good job of giving the player a choice; guns blazing, stealthy killer, or invisible ghost. I especially like how Dishonored even allowed you to take care of the mission target without killing him, although often that was extra difficult.

Personally I took the sneaky assassin route every time.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Dishonored, the original Deus Ex, and DX;HR all did a good job of giving the player a choice; guns blazing, stealthy killer, or invisible ghost. I especially like how Dishonored even allowed you to take care of the mission target without killing him, although often that was extra difficult.

Personally I took the sneaky assassin route every time.

The big problem with Dishonoured was the random charms. If your first was "choke completes quicker" on your no kill play through that benefitted more than any other charm in the game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How was anything in Dishonored "extra difficult"? You're basically God in that game just with Blink and Slow time. Everything else is just for extra fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

A friend lent me dishonoured about a year ago and it has sat on a shelf while I did other things. Is it worth playing?

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 23, 2016