Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Man reading this Sam Stoddard article makes it even harder to like Ken Nagle.

quote:

KEN 5/11/2015: :/

:smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

That's what I figured, I just know Karn exiles stuff and Ugin wipes non-colorless stuff which seem to line up with how the deck operates. Deck sounds scary from the few lists I've seen, gotta make sure I'm stocked up on land destruction and non-basic hate.

Maybe a Blood Moon reprint in SoI? That's a horror-esque name, right? :v: This will not actually happen.

actually with them finally printing a colorless basic land blood moon would be a cool way of making decks use wastes if they want powerful cards like warping wail or reality smasher (note i dont believe for a second they will reprint blood moon)

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Zoness posted:

I remember when he got to write a mothership article for the first time and it was just a bunch of internet memes. The second article was much more toned down, but since then I haven't seen articles from him very frequently, and probably for good reason.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Imagine if for SoI Wizards started showing Tibalt in key art, write him into the story, reveal his new card art...and then it's a reprint.
The prime difference is that Tibalt is a poo poo card and LotV is loving amazing.

NivMizzet posted:

I'm going to bet that when they finally unveil the Legion of Doom that Liliana will reluctantly join because she's "evil". Then at a critical turning point where the good guys are about to lose she will decide she's "not that evil" and save them. But she's not a nerd so she won't join the Justice League and will just keep secretly fawning over grognard-stand-in Jace and so she can act as Lone-Wolf-turned-Deus-Ex-Machina when Creative writes themselves into a corner.
This is so painfully likely because it's equal parts cliche and bland.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like if MaRo is excited about something with regards to fiction it's probably bad.

Y'know like Roseanne or his self-insert adopted from a treatment for a WESLEY episode of TNG.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You know thinking about it the uproar over Reality Hemorrhage is pretty silly. It's on-curve with Ghostfire and it's not a completely unreasonable inclusion in modern burn over Pyrite Spellbomb.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hey, so tomorrow is my birthday, figured what the hell, I'd spend it playing Magic. Better than the last three. Anyway, never done a draft, and I'm still unfamiliar with the whole process. I mean I get how it works, but actually doing it is new. Do I still stick to CABS and BREAD, or do I want to go bigger than in the prerelease?

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Zoness posted:

Yes, but:

quote:

KEN 10/22/2014: Would like to try Snapcasters as red cards for more casual red appeal.

is pretty sweet.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Could not find the original post that had the mtgo image , but the Abrupt Decay promos are coming in paper.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
"Target player chooses a creature with flying he or she controls. Tears of Valakut deals 7 damage to that creature" is a hilarious, obvious development-designed card.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Bugsy posted:

Could not find the original post that had the mtgo image , but the Abrupt Decay promos are coming in paper.

When will they do the abrupt decay art where it kills a counterbalance or blood moon I mean c'mon.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

"Target player chooses a creature with flying he or she controls. Tears of Valakut deals 7 damage to that creature" is a hilarious, obvious development-designed card.

I can't believe they actually considered that, it's like babby's first magic set editor removal spell.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I can't believe they actually considered that, it's like babby's first magic set editor removal spell.

And therefore totally awesome. They should have printed it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Bugsy posted:

That is some bad art.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I'm pretty sure the just-mentioned Abrupt Decay fits in that category. The most obvious "Play Me In Modern" spell I can think of.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I like the flavor text, though it could probably be more concise.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lets Pickle posted:

I like the flavor text, though it could probably be more concise.

It should have been

"You are already dead"

And I'd hope the japanese version would have the appropriate art for that of course.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you're not looking to play colorless sources I think Goblin Dark-Dwellers is probably the biggest card. A 4/4 menace that casts Crackling Doom or Kolaghan's Command at your opponent seems pretty good.

One indirect effect would be your entire board dying to Kozilek's Return when your opponent casts Kozilek.

Return is only when you cast.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I read it slightly wrong, target player chooses the creature that gets hit.

So it's a red flying-only edict, which is even stranger than babby's first magic set editor card.

That would be like "Choose a creature or player. Babby's Bolt deals 3 damage to that creature or player."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
"Target player sacrifices a creature named 'Dragonlord Ojutai'"

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
"Target creature's controller sacrifices it" is a real template :v:.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Lancelot posted:

Return is only when you cast.
I mean the indirect effect is that the ramp decks that prey on 4c midrange are better.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zoness posted:

"Target creature's controller sacrifices it" is a real template :v:.

But it needs to by pass hexproof because

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-oath-gatewatch-part-1-2016-01-22

In the design Article there's a bunch of stuff on Stone Haven Outfitter talking about FFL, which makes me almost hopeful that maybe we'll see playable equipment in the next block. Or it could just be Development thinking stuff that's bad is good.

But then you have stuff like this

quote:

As you can see, this started off as a functional reprint of Skyhunter Cub, but we struggled to get the Equipment-matters deck to work well enough. It worked well enough in Mirrodin because of just how much Equipment the set had—numbers we would not be matching with Oath of the Gatewatch, and numbers that Battle for Zendikar didn't have. It meant that cards like this were basically amazing if you happened to get a lot of Equipment, but bad if you didn't. We tried moving it around to getting flying if you had an Equipment, but that had similar (albeit lesser) problems. The solution we ended up on was making the card more generically powerful, and making it so that it was a card you would want in an Equipment deck, but not something that rewarded you as explicitly. At the same time, we condensed some of the Equipment-matters cards to being a smaller total number, but having more of an impact.
Where Stoddard is talking about the equipment-matters subtheme as if it was somthing that actually made it into the finished set in any substantial way, which it really truly didn't. :confused:

Also loving :lol: Hedron Alignment was originally a Mythic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Entropic posted:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/m-files-oath-gatewatch-part-1-2016-01-22

In the design Article there's a bunch of stuff on Stone Haven Outfitter talking about FFL, which makes me almost hopeful that maybe we'll see playable equipment in the next block. Or it could just be Development thinking stuff that's bad is good.

But then you have stuff like this

Where Stoddard is talking about the equipment-matters subtheme as if it was somthing that actually made it into the finished set in any substantial way, which it really truly didn't. :confused:
OGW feels very rushed to me, with some strange design decisions and half-finished themes; the equipment thing is a perfect example of that.

quote:

Also loving :lol: Hedron Alignment was originally a Mythic.

I actually don't think Hedron Alignment is a bad Mythic; it has the the line "You win the Game" on it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Elyv posted:

I actually don't think Hedron Alignment is a bad Mythic; it has the the line "You win the Game" on it.

Considering how very little it does in limited it seems like it would be a good candidate for being a mythic just so it shows up less.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah. Less chance to see that floating around would be great since we already have a cycle of cards with a power level of common/uncommon in limited but are rare due to the planeswalker text. Also a card that is basically "2W: Do nothing" at rare.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Alaan posted:

Yeah. Less chance to see that floating around would be great since we already have a cycle of cards with a power level of common/uncommon in limited but are rare due to the planeswalker text. Also a card that is basically "2W: Do nothing" at rare.

Which card is this, because Gideon's Oath is a bad raise the alarm but it's not complete trash in limited.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Sigma-X posted:

Which card is this, because Gideon's Oath is a bad raise the alarm but it's not complete trash in limited.

Call the Gatewatch

And Hedron Alignment would be the most disappointing mythic ever; you need 3 more of it before it does anything. It'd be like Mythic Search the City.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Bugsy posted:

Considering how very little it does in limited it seems like it would be a good candidate for being a mythic just so it shows up less.

I feel like you can't win either way. As a rare, you get a useless card showing up more in draft, as a Mythic you get people bitching that the slot that's supposed to be for exciting powerful cards is being filled by some designer's janky pet garbage card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

I feel like you can't win either way. As a rare, you get a useless card showing up more in draft, as a Mythic you get people bitching that the slot that's supposed to be for exciting powerful cards is being filled by some designer's janky pet garbage card.

The obvious answer is to have either A) not printed it at all or 2) make it a lovely uncommon.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Entropic posted:

So put it at common and watch people actually have fun trying to win with it???

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I have a super dumb question that I had come up while the judge wasn't there at the last FNM. Can someone "fail to find" for a rally as a result of a Hallowed Moonlight in response to the rally?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Huh, Expedite used to be the card everyone wishes it was.

"This card was trying to do noble work by letting you play it, cast a creature with surge, then attack with it, but ultimately it was wasn't worth all of the extra words versus just being the simple version it is today."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I have a super dumb question that I had come up while the judge wasn't there at the last FNM. Can someone "fail to find" for a rally as a result of a Hallowed Moonlight in response to the rally?

Lol no. Unless the card has "may" its a forced thing. Hallowed moonlight directly counters and exiles every eligible target.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

The only time you can fail to find is when an effect tells you to search for a card that has specific attributes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Count Bleck posted:

The obvious answer is to have either A) not printed it at all or 2) make it a lovely uncommon.

I don't think they want "You Win the game" as card text below rare because they want those cards to feel special and cool.

They should make them actually approaching playable if they want people to feel that way about them though.

I think it would actually have been cool if they'd bumped a mana off it and put it at uncommon as a filter effect / lovely surge enabler where and made it a stupid deck you could try to draft.
Except that you're actually extremely unlikely to have 4 of the same uncommon opened in a draft, let alone get all of them, so it would be a total trap and not a real deck.

I think it's just a bad card that probably should have gone back to the drawing board.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

So put it at common and watch people actually have fun trying to win with it???

but NWO :smithicide:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

The only time you can fail to find is when an effect tells you to search for a card that has specific attributes.

worth emphasizing that it has to be a search specifically, not a choice or just automatic effect that just involves specific attributes

if loxodon smiter is the only legal target for your inquisition of kozilek you don't get to not screw yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Yawgmoth posted:

You can only fail to find when an effect tells you to look for (either search, or look in the top X cards, etc) for a card that has specific attributes in a hidden zone. The only hidden zones are the deck and the sideboard. Having previously seen one or the other (like if you got milled in game 1 or mindslavered which allows the controlling player to view the sideboard, as the owner of the sideboard can view it at any time) does not change the status of that zone to public.

e: had this as search, forgot how wishes/collected company / etc worked.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 22, 2016

• Locked thread