Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

I think that guy just had a box-shaped head. And moth antennae, for some reason.

The O.G. tv-head man is Retro from Dead Leaves.

Dead Leaves was post FLCL. Canti-sama wins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ConanThe3rd posted:

The problem is that the last chapter has been split between her moping about life to herself and her being passive aggressive to anyone within earshot with no one to fill out the now barren cast list to provide any sort of levity from that.

I think it's reasonable for a character to be depressed and upset when three of her friends have just died.

Pavlov posted:

So, is this like an attempt to make a 'dark and gritty' magic girl anime? Because the more I think about that the more it seems like a dumb idea.

Personally my favorite "magical girl" comic going on right now and wow did I never expect to type those words is Phoenix Flair : http://phoenixflaircomic.tumblr.com/post/122318744747/i-want-to-kill-the-person-i-used-to-be-page-1

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

World Famous W posted:

In Demon, is that a catapult on the back of that truck or a tow rig? Can't tell. I hope it is a catapult and the plan involves just flinging dumb rear end immortals over the wall.

Hunter supposedly has "shields" that could stop every hydrogen bomb on Earth, so it'd be amazing if just catapulting bodies over the wall is enough to get around that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

icantfindaname posted:

Dead Leaves was post FLCL. Canti-sama wins

Robots don't count :colbert:

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

fritz posted:

I think it's reasonable for a character to be depressed and upset when three of her friends have just died.

Also they've been dead for maybe 20 pages?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

fritz posted:

Personally my favorite "magical girl" comic going on right now and wow did I never expect to type those words is Phoenix Flair : http://phoenixflaircomic.tumblr.com/post/122318744747/i-want-to-kill-the-person-i-used-to-be-page-1

Honestly I just don't like the premise of magic girl stuff, and I don't think any amount of wit or charm could make me want to follow one. It's just that trying for dark and gritty or a deconstruction probably just makes it unpalatable for people who do like that stuff without making it any better for people like me.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Sepherothic posted:

Hi folks. I'm just getting rolling with a webcomic and wouldn't mind some critique.

http://www.theauroracycle.com

It's... different. The idea behind it was to be super efficient in terms of art while also having a real strong literary voice. The goal being to have a faster update schedule than most, and a more thoughtful approach to story than your usual fantasy comic circlejerk. I don't know how well I did any of that, so I need to you tell me.

Also, this is kind of unusual for a webcomic, but before I even started the comic I wrote two prequel novels (strictly optional) to really exercise my story muscles and get all the cliche poo poo out of the way. Which, well, I am not really sure how people are going to take that.

I have two chapters up right now (about 50 pages), with a third coming in a week or so, and a fourth a few weeks after that. I am planning updating by chapter, because it gives me time to properly edit 20 pages at a time, rather than the piecemeal approach where I can't change story bits as easily. I might change that update schedule to something weekly in the future, but for now I'm just trying to lay down the intro as fast as I can.

So yeah. Anything anyone wants to say is okay by me. I'm a big boy, I can take it.

Not really my thing but it's innovative enough. It could work.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

fritz posted:

They didn't just die, they were smashed to death in front of her, and she hung out with her bodies for an unknown period of time while fighting a losing battle to keep her blood on the inside.

That kind of goes outside the depression zone and into trauma land.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Emily Carroll has a new comic. I don't think I really understand what happened.

There is mild nudity so :nws: just in case

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Also they've been dead for maybe 20 pages?

Yeah this is the sort of webcomic where the page per update format makes it really bad to analyze while it's going.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Pavlov posted:

It's just that trying for dark and gritty or a deconstruction probably just makes it unpalatable for people who do like that stuff without making it any better for people like me.

A dark and edgy take on the magical girl genre isn't exactly a strange new concept. Or even a particularly uncommon one, to be honest. Cagle's explicitly citing Madoka as one of her influences here, and that was both a) literally a story about soulless alien abominations manipulating pubescent girls into fighting demons so they could strip-mine their emotions for energy, wherein basically the entire cast is brutally murdered at least once, and b) a critical and commercial smash hit.

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".

Amusingly enough, it is exactly that:

quote:

Sailor Moon, and its many followers, are obviously a big influence in the makeup of the original team. One of the founding ideas of the comic was “what if the Water Member of one of these teams became the main character?”, because that never happens ;0

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It looks like Octopus Pie is gearing up for another punch to the stomach.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fritz posted:

Yes but having the reader be subjected to it for pages (which means months here) on end with absolutely no levity and no one else in sight (and, no, having reporter lady being disproportionately upset about being drenched by Undine's little outburst does not count) with a character that is at this point defined by her trauma, awful attitude and very little else is not good television.

We need somebody who isn't a Shadow or a target for 'Dine's frustrations.

An Asuka to her Shinji, if you will.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Longform pacing can be brutal in a trickle-style delivery format.

news at 11

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Longform pacing can be brutal in a trickle-style delivery format.

news at 11

Yes but even Paranatural's hit ball arc, plagued by length and wonkey release schedule as it was, had characters to bounce ideas (to say nothing of balls) off of.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
conan has moved on from making bad posts in the cucumberquest thread to this. is there no escape

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The comic is one character brooding from page to page, which makes sense for the character and her circumstances but is monotonous to read.

I am sorry that a comic that I was liking before screeching to a halt to reboot itself into that annoys me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

I'm gonna die historic on the Demon road.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I am so happy that it was catapults. This is so stupid I can't help but smile.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
drat that's two great thread titles in quick succession.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Demon is exactly the right kind of stupid and I love it.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Another SomethingAwful story. Thanks Pavlov!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Plethora posted:

Another SomethingAwful story. Thanks Pavlov!

"acceptable corporal punishment"

wait what the gently caress

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

"acceptable corporal punishment"

wait what the gently caress
They're cops.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Yeah cops can be poo poo sometimes. (I don't think the dude was ever trying to kill me, but there's always going to be creative liberties with these.)

Plethora I wish I had lived a more traumatic life, if only to give you more comics to write.

Pavlov fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 22, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Carrasco posted:

I'm gonna die historic on the Demon road.

So however many Jimmys there are there, there's at least that many worlds where Hunter wins by default, because they no longer contain a Jimmy to oppose him.

Bravo Jimmy you idiotic nihilistic poo poo stain.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Also I got real skin in the game now, so you fuckers better be submitting your traumas.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Renaissance Robot posted:

So however many Jimmys there are there, there's at least that many worlds where Hunter wins by default, because they no longer contain a Jimmy to oppose him.

Haha, Jimmy is a video game character, and the comic is that one perfect run out of thousands where Bowswer doesn't win.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Jimmy only cares about Jimmy (and his daughter), so that doesn't really matter to him. He isn't there to witness the alternate histories where Hunter wins.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So apparently they're turning Demon into an Anime!

http://i.imgur.com/Oi0WpEb.webm

Just kidding it's from an anime called 'Ajin' and not related to Demon but when i saw people trying to take him down with Tranqs and him chopping off his arm I couldn't think of anything but Jimmy.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Bobulus posted:

Jimmy only cares about Jimmy (and his daughter), so that doesn't really matter to him. He isn't there to witness the alternate histories where Hunter wins.

Yeah, his motivation here is ennui. It doesn't matter if Hunter wins in some other reality, it gives him and Sweetpea something to do here and now.

Hell, after ruining Hunter's plan, maybe they'll let him live so they'll have another fun weekend to look forward to in another hundred years.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I'm so glad Demon somehow continues to get even dumber and dumber.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

khy posted:

So apparently they're turning Demon into an Anime!

http://i.imgur.com/Oi0WpEb.webm

Just kidding it's from an anime called 'Ajin' and not related to Demon but when i saw people trying to take him down with Tranqs and him chopping off his arm I couldn't think of anything but Jimmy.

From the Knights of Sidonia people?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I hear good things about that KoS but the CG art style looks awful to me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

readingatwork posted:

I hear good things about that KoS but the CG art style looks awful to me.

It's a demerit, but it works less badly than it might in Knights of Sidonia due to the setting's cold, clinical far-future aesthetic and extremely loose definition of 'humanity'. Plus, it allows for some pretty sweet action.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus if you have netflix it's an easy buy in with convenient access to sub and sub,

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Please read The Weave. It updates a little slowly but it's just so beautiful and nice to look at. It's about murder and Fae-style fairies.

HellOnEarth fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jan 23, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I recently catched up on Monster Pulse. Apparently the characters were always supposed to be fifteen? They look twelve at the oldest in their first appearance, jeez.
Love the new monsters, by the way. Does anyone know what part of the body is the skeleton supposed to be? What about the one Ayo is fighting? And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

e: oh wait
"My Cav's probably going to beat him though." The douche has a cavity monster.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 23, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It's a whole tooth, any time he opens his mouth you can see the gap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

paradoxGentleman posted:

Does anyone know what part of the body is the skeleton supposed to be? What about the one Ayo is fighting? And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

Pretty sure it's a whole skeleton monster. And yes.

• Locked thread