Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
thing designed to change screen color is changing the screen color? holy poo poo!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9766/the-apple-ipad-pro-review/2

rest in piss intel

quote:

On the SoC side, we’re finally seeing a major player in ARM SoCs directly competing with Intel on their home ground of sorts, and the results are at least somewhat shocking. Despite a handicap on process node, the CPU of the A9X isn’t all that far off from Skylake Core M. And while A9X can't go toe-to-toe, Apple is for the first time capable of reaching Intel's level for some workloads. Otherwise on the GPU side, Apple arguably bests Intel. While iOS vs. Windows doesn't lend itself to as precise comparisons as we'd like due to some fundamental architectural differences, for a developer writing a GPU-accelerated application tailored for the platform the A9X’s 12 Cluster Series7XT GPU is capable of doing more than the Core M’s Intel HD 515.

b-but at least intel still has a process advantage!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that's whole lot of weasel words to say that arm still can't match x86

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

tim pls ship the armbook

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

tfw the dedicated chip maker gets dumpsterd by a consumer electronics company that just magic'd up chip making expertise in 8 years

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
tfw you post a transparently mendacious article that supports your investment portfolio

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

THC posted:

tim pls ship the armbook

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Ultimately I think it’s reasonable to say that Intel’s Core M processors hold a CPU performance edge over iPad Pro and the A9X SoC. Against Intel’s slowest chips A9X is competitive, but as it stands A9X can’t keep up with the faster chips. However by the same metric there’s no question that Apple is closing the gap; A9X can compete with both Broadwell and Skylake Core M processors, and that’s something Apple couldn’t claim even a generation ago. That it’s only against the likes of Core m3 means that Apple still has a way to go, particularly as A9X still loses by more than it wins, but it’s significant progress in a short period of time and I’ll wager that it’s closer than Intel would like to be, especially if Apple puts A9X into a cheaper iPad Air in the future.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yes timb, complete your necromancy of 90s apple by shipping a product with provably inferior processor

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh cool i'm sure apple has the manufacturing capability and desire to sell socs to the other 90% of the market to run...linux, i guess?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Apple's 4-Inch iPhone to Be Called "iPhone 5se"

can't wait until 2020 when tim unveils the iphone5sepqosz

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

same but the iphone 5ci, 5cx, 5vi, 5x, 5fx, 5vx

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive got a 6s and i would seriously consider a new 4 inch iphone if it isnt too gimped

force touch is nice but i dont use it enough to miss it if its gone

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

oh cool i'm sure apple has the manufacturing capability and desire to sell socs to the other 90% of the market to run...linux, i guess?

that just makes it worse. the business with clear incentives to be the best is actually getting dumpstered by the company that will only utilize its expertise for its own products

just incredible

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

anandtech comments as usual are great:

Performance is better than a high end workstation from 10 years ago, a system which was capable of running professional tasks which are still nowhere to be found on mobile platforms. And it has nothing to do with performance. It has to do with forcing a shift in the market, from devices used by their owners to devices, being used by their makers to exploit their owners commercially. And professional productivity just ain't it. Not content creation but content consumption. People flew in space using kilohertz computers with kilobytes of memory, today we have gigahertz and gigabytes in our pockets, and the best we can do with it is duck face photos. That's what apple did to computing, and other companies are getting on that train as well, seeing how profitable it is to exploit society, it is in nobody's interest to empower it.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

people could use their smartphones to fly to mars if apple would only let them!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

Apple's 4-Inch iPhone to Be Called "iPhone 5se"

can't wait until 2020 when tim unveils the iphone5sepqosz

just call it the iPhone for proles and small dick havers

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
you're holding it wrong

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

anroid lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

carry on then posted:

same but the iphone 5][e

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
it makes sense that they would come out with a special edition of the iphone 5 the king of phones

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol @ Linux

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

poty posted:

it makes sense that they would come out with a special edition of the iphone 5 the king of phones

I hope it only comes in 128gigs and costs $1000

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

poty posted:

:agreed:

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

touchscreens in cars should be illegal

screens in cars should be illegal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Strangelet Wave posted:

cars should be illegal

:agreed:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Strangelet Wave posted:

touchscreens in cars should be illegal

screens in cars should be illegal

knobs for lyfe

some things just make more sense as knobs like volume, temperature and fan speed

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
knobs have clear advantages over screens when it comes to genitals too

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

when I'm at home my phone starts giving me suggestions because I "arrived at work". when I go to work it thinks I "arrived at home". the feature worked better when I didn't live 100m away from work. fix it tim

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

THC posted:

when I'm at home my phone starts giving me suggestions because I "arrived at work". when I go to work it thinks I "arrived at home". the feature worked better when I didn't live 100m away from work. fix it tim

is there a way to tell it "actually, i'm unemployed" because google now doesn't and it started thinking i worked at my local shopping mall because that's where i buy my groceries

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cremnob posted:

People flew in space using kilohertz computers with kilobytes of memory, today we have gigahertz and gigabytes in our pockets, and the best we can do with it is duck face photos. That's what apple did to computing, and other companies are getting on that train as well, seeing how profitable it is to exploit society, it is in nobody's interest to empower it.

processing 12 megapixels of photographic data in a couple of seconds is way more computationally intensive than doing what are essentially ballistics calculations, which can be done with a slide rule

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

processing 12 megapixels of photographic data in a couple of seconds is way more computationally intensive than doing what are essentially ballistics calculations, which can be done with a slide rule

yeah, there's a wee difference between building a rocket and actually flying it. actually poo poo, nasa is making future craft pilotable by tablet

Strangelet Wave
Nov 6, 2004

Surely you're joking!

Perplx posted:

knobs for lyfe

some things just make more sense as knobs like volume, temperature and fan speed

i was in the passenger seat of a friends audi and he asked me to change the radio station. it was a car from that awkward period after cassette players but before every car came with 3.5mm aux in so we had to play music from an iphone over an fm transmitter

anyway it took like four button clicks to navigate to the screen where i could change the radio station and i poo poo you not, the way to change stations was not by turning the multipurpose knob, but rather by turning the knob to the "skip forward" option on the screen's radial menu and then clicking the knob to skip forward 0.2MHz at a time

it was a surprise to the guy's wife that this was even possible. she had thought that their car's radio "didn't have those numbers"

also the fm transmitter worked in intervals of 0.2MHz, too, but only the even decimals, so as not to interfere with terrestrial FM stations, which broadcast only on odd decimals. audi of course knew that FM stations in the US only broadcast on odd decimals, so they helpfully made it so that the radio could only be tuned to odd decimals. fortunately the fm transmitter had exactly two odd-decimal settings for some reason (90.1 and 88.1) so we could use those, except when we were driving near cities.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

It looks like there is a game between car radio interfaces to make the most stupid, difficult, and incomprehensible system possible. Even the photos from CarPlay site have really bad choice of buttons:

Car? Yes I'm in the car, and Traffic? No idea :wtf:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

mishaq posted:

ive got a 6s and i would seriously consider a new 4 inch iphone if it isnt too gimped

force touch is nice but i dont use it enough to miss it if its gone

same but I have a 6.

it is too large. steve was right.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hang on i barely speak english and i don't know which option i need i need to take my eyes off the road for 30 seconds

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
the people who make car uis are demonstrably terrible

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
jap car uis are the worst cause they're all really bad programmers and UI designers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and what of ford sync?

• Locked thread