Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I dunno if anyone else here has seen this already, but I found this (in-progress) total conversion Doom mod project a bit ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIA-2GQdQM8

Strawberry Octopus posted:

This is the first footage of my Project, Memoirs of Magic!

In this video, the Warrior Gear is Showcased. This consists of The Axe, Shatter Shotty and the Water Tome and all its spells. For the purpose of this video, all weapons are shown at their level 3 variations, to showcase the full potential of the skills you can utilize with these weapons. It should be noted that the only weapon that is truly Exclusive to the Warrior Class in this video is the Axe, as the Shatter Shotty and the Water Tome can be learned by other classes; but these weapon overall fall into the Element of this Class, which is Water.

The Axe is the Signature Tier 1 Weapon of the Warrior, which is the slowest of all of the tier 1 weapons, but also the most powerful, being able to one shot skeletons, and in some instances, gib them in a single shot due to the power of the weapon. The axes special attack, which it acquires at LVL2, varies from from its LVL3 Counterpart which is featured in the Video. The Level 2 Axe does not act as a boomerang, but simply a penetrating projectile that goes through masses of enemies, eventually hitting the wall in which the axe becomes embedded in. You are able to receive the axe again to regain some of your Mana Points.

At LVL3, the axe becomes a boomerang which has the ability to suck in enemies into the vortex and perform constant damage. However, if they are a bunch of enemies close together, it can get pretty hectic and they start all flying about!

The Second Weapon featured in this video is the Shatter Shotty, which is an Alchemical Tier 2 weapon which uses Alchemy instead of Mana for Ammo. Due to the weapon being a Sawn Off Shotgun, it fires 16 pellets, which do immense damage at close range; further away however, the bullets suffer from severe spread, weakening the blow of the Shatter Shotty. At LVL2, the Shatter Shotty gains the ability to freeze enemies with Ice Pellets with the Alt Attack, which the duration is Increased at LVL3. The Ice Pellets are generally weaker then the average shots, so its advised not to use it as a overall method for defeating enemies.

The Shatter Shotty is the only weapon in the game that reloads, and at LVL1, it Reloads Per Shot; at LVL2, it Reloads every 2 Shots; and at LVL3, Reloads every 4 shots, which is shown in the video.

The Last Weapon Showcased in this Vid is the Water Tome; all tomes have a total of 3 Spells, which you gain with each level, in addition to upgrading the effectiveness of said Tome. The first spell showncase here is “Ice Sentry”, which summons Ice Sculptures of Cherubs to fire arrows at your enemies. At LVL1, you summon a Single Ice Sentry, LVL2 you summon 2, and at LVL3, you summon 3. At Water Tome LVL2, you gain the ability to freeze time, and at LVL3, you increased the duration in which you can freeze time in. When Time Freeze is active, you have the ability to throw out attacks which will all resume at once when the Time Freeze period has ended.
I really dig the cartoony look and various spellsets. The hitsounds are nice too, albeit a bit much when there's so many of them happening at a time.
There's other videos with different spells and stuff: x x x x x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've just come off work at last and was excited about giving both Project Brutality and the Japanese pack a go together, but the game crashes about 10 seconds into the first map. Any ideas?

I've updated to the latest GZDoom SVN too.

Edit: Looks like it's solely a PB issue as I get the same crash from Saturn X (though I could play that for about 3 minutes before encountering the crash).

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 22, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dominic White posted:

Ha, I know the Doom scene is still one of the most active for modding ever. Just expected it to be higher due to single-map releases, but then I realized that those aren't that common now.

The Quake scene gets maybe one, two releases a month. Duke... yeah. Graveyard, mostly.

Marathon :cry:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rather Dashing posted:

Edit: Looks like it's solely a PB issue as I get the same crash from Saturn X (though I could play that for about 3 minutes before encountering the crash).

That's odd - working fine here (latest SVN, too). You got the very latest Brutality build too? It just got a little hotfix update, I believe.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

Marathon :cry:

It occurred to me the other day that, if I was inspired to make a new Marathon scenario, my first step would be to figure out how to do terminals in a Doom source port :(

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Dominic White posted:

That's odd - working fine here (latest SVN, too). You got the very latest Brutality build too? It just got a little hotfix update, I believe.

I downloaded it from moddb about 20 minutes before posting here so assume it's the latest - having said that, I do now wonder if I screwed up getting the latest svn as looking at my screenshot it says '2015' for the window title.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Rather Dashing posted:

I downloaded it from moddb about 20 minutes before posting here so assume it's the latest - having said that, I do now wonder if I screwed up getting the latest svn as looking at my screenshot it says '2015' for the window title.

There are 2.1 builds for GZDoom in the SVN, try one of these instead of 1.8.10. I have 2.1pre-1666 (from 2016-01-13) and PB works without any problems.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm a little confused as to why earlier builds were 2.1 but newer builds are 1.8.10. Is 2.1 now 1.8.10, or are these 1.8.10 builds inferior to the 2.1 builds, or...?

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
2.1 is newer. I think 1.8 still only gets maintenance releases to fix crashes and other problems.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
1.8 is a new fork that ports new engine features back to the older, more old-hardware-friendly, messier-to-actually-work-with renderer, for people who want to have their extra DECORATE flags cake and eat it on their five-year-old laptop too... Wow, that analogy kind of ran away from me.

At least, I think that's what's going on. I might have misread things.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
No, that's pretty much exactly it. Alexey "_mental_" Lysiuk, who maintains a fork of GZDoom for OS X but stopped once the relevant code was backported in GZDoom itself, has taken upon maintaining the older renderer, in large part because Apple is doing everything they can to be pains in the rear end of anyone who uses OpenGL so it's more practical for him to maintain the 1.8 renderer than to make the 2.0 renderer work on Macs.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Quake 4 is like a Doom 3 that's actually good and cool. That stroggification part is great and after that yeah you'r faster better stronger and suddenly you can read the alien texts etc which i always thought was neat !

e; It also has a couple of extremely filthy/gory levels that are very well done, calling back to the Q2 meat plant and such, just nasty as hell

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 22, 2016

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I said it previously, I really like Quake 4. Raven made lots of solid FPS games (sadly they're a call of duty DLC studio now) and Q4 is a nice game. The vehicle sections are kinda lovely but you get to see how your weapons get upgraded, once you become a strogg, it gets even better. There are a bunch of HD mods and tweaks out there for improving the graphics.

There's also a custom campaign, False Dawn http://www.moddb.com/mods/false-dawn wich is kinda nice and adds more open gameplay with non-linear objectives and that stuff.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
With the exception of the on-rails sections, Quake 4 is great and I recommend it. The three great things that came out of idtech for that generation were Quake 4, Enemy Territory and Prey.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Prey was really good and not enough people give it credit.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Segmentation Fault posted:

Prey was really good and not enough people give it credit.

I actually forgot that game existed.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
There would be a lot more Marathon maps if people just released them individually after giving up on making full scenarios. Like the Syndicate maps :rip:

e: the hosed up part is there were like five good levels there from the 2 or 3 people on the dev team who could actually maps so they could have released an actual level set.

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 22, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
For better or worse people tend to expect a plot in their Marathons, and it's hard to do much plot beyond "kills aleins" in one map.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Messing with Project Brutality, I know there's some classic map packs in the OP but are there any that are more PB-friendly? Barring that is there a way to lower the number of enemy spawns because PB seems to multiply them by a factor of 4.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Messing with Project Brutality, I know there's some classic map packs in the OP but are there any that are more PB-friendly? Barring that is there a way to lower the number of enemy spawns because PB seems to multiply them by a factor of 4.
PB doesn't affect the number of enemies in any way - it just gives them variants (which eventually get harder), the amount of enemies is "fault" of WAD you're using. And I think the only megawad made with BD/PB in mind is the starter pack that comes with Brutal Doom 20b. Other than that you'll just have to try to play and see what works and what doesn't.

Edit: For what it's worth I'd try checking Back to Saturn X Episode 1 and 2 - haven't played them myself (yet) but what I heard makes me think they'll be easier to use with PB than some of the megawads I see in the OP. Maybe you could try Doom 2 Reloaded but that gets pretty nasty in last third of the wad.

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 22, 2016

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

It occurred to me the other day that, if I was inspired to make a new Marathon scenario, my first step would be to figure out how to do terminals in a Doom source port :(
You might want to check out Barista for Zdoom if you haven't already since it's a heavily Marathon inspired short little Doom project. That has Terminals in it which might give you a few ideas.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

uncleKitchener posted:

The three great things that came out of idtech for that generation were Quake 4, Enemy Territory and Prey.

Wolfenstein 2009 was also IdTech 4, and is one of my favourites. Multiplayer apparently stank though.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Rather Dashing posted:

I've just come off work at last and was excited about giving both Project Brutality and the Japanese pack a go together, but the game crashes about 10 seconds into the first map. Any ideas?

This is a memory error. Pretty straightforward. Means you don't have the 676 bytes to spare playing this.

I don't know why it can't access a meager 676 bytes, but...

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

skasion posted:

For better or worse people tend to expect a plot in their Marathons, and it's hard to do much plot beyond "kills aleins" in one map.

Being saved from marathoners' terrible writing would be a nice side effect. Speaking of, an SP map I started in 2011 is finally almost finished in 2016 :negative:

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sven Co-op 5 is live.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/225840/

This release contains A Lot:
http://www.svencoop.com/manual/maps.html

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net
hey if any goons wanna play sven co-op 5.0 we will be playing for a while

join my pal's server - name: cacodemon crew

pass: goon

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
Sven Co-Op 5 protip: you have to run two .bat files in the svencoop directory to enable Blue Shift and Opposing Force co-op campaign support if you have them installed, Install_bshift_Support.bat and Install_OpFor_Support.bat.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jblade posted:

You might want to check out Barista for Zdoom if you haven't already since it's a heavily Marathon inspired short little Doom project. That has Terminals in it which might give you a few ideas.
Keep in mind that Barista is pretty darn old by ZDoom mod standards - there are probably easier ways to do some of the things it does now.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Richard Boderman is still the best goddamn map

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
The greatest tragedy of Sven Co-Op 5.0 is the fact that Afrika Korps is no longer included with the mod

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Looks like some other outlets are getting stuff related to Doom 4. PCGames.de posted some new screenshots, including this sick one of the Baron of Hell...

...as well as a hands-on article that "Hans-Gunther 3." on the Facepunch forums politely translated.

Some highlights: There's TWO automaps (2D and 3D), checkpoint saving (no quicksave abuse for you!), No Id Studio mod tools (at least from the get-go), but Snapmap is Little Big Planet levels of detailed with a cool scripting system that lets you twiddle with everything down to the HUD. Apparently the author is very enthusiastic about the game.

Gamesradar is also chattering. Of special note is more details about what people are hacking together with Snapmap - memory test quizzes and tower defense games!

Latest Gameinformer article is a podcast community Q&A with Marty Stratton which goes into some of the frequently asked questions.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

gently caress checkpoint saves

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Megadyptes posted:

gently caress checkpoint-only saves

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Megadyptes posted:

gently caress checkpoint saves

The one garbage trend in modern FPSes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The one garbage trend in modern FPSes.

I'd argue that regenerating health might be worse, but then again, I guess scripted confrontations are built around that.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd argue that regenerating health might be worse, but then again, I guess scripted confrontations are built around that.

Regenerating health lets mappers design encounters with the assumption that the player will always be at full health, rather than having to guesstimate how much health they'll be at or screw over less skilled players. I mean, the alternative is just dumping medkits in front of the player before each fight, but regenerating health does the same thing more elegantly. It's good for both the player and the designer.

Only being able to carry 2-3 weapons also has upsides (with limited ammo placement, the player is forced to constantly change the limited subset of weapons they're carrying; without limited ammo placement, it means a bigger variety of ways to approach any given fight; in either case, it forces designers to balance their weapons rather than having a linear progression, at least in theory).

Checkpoint saves just make everything shittier for everyone involved.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Checkpoint saves are good and this is probably the only decent feature to be announced in a sea of poo poo.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Regenerating health lets mappers design encounters with the assumption that the player will always be at full health, rather than having to guesstimate how much health they'll be at or screw over less skilled players. I mean, the alternative is just dumping medkits in front of the player before each fight, but regenerating health does the same thing more elegantly. It's good for both the player and the designer.

Only being able to carry 2-3 weapons also has upsides (with limited ammo placement, the player is forced to constantly change the limited subset of weapons they're carrying; without limited ammo placement, it means a bigger variety of ways to approach any given fight; in either case, it forces designers to balance their weapons rather than having a linear progression, at least in theory).

Checkpoint saves just make everything shittier for everyone involved.

You rationalized regenerating health and forced small weapon loadouts, but giving us the median between "saving whenever we drat well wanted and possibly abusing it" and "if you die you start at the beginning" is just not okay?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

The Kins posted:

Some highlights: There's TWO automaps (2D and 3D)

The automap thing is good news. Having an automap might give their level designers a little more freedom to get wacky with topology/connectivity. I honestly think that the absence of an automap has negatively affected every FPS since Doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's two good reasons for checkpoint saving: controllers don't have an f5 key, and it's a lot harder to save in a dead end if the developer saves for you. If they actually set up checkpoints correctly, I like them better than quicksaves.