Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

Yeah, the Midwest has that poo poo on lockdown. Mayoral elections have been won/lost in Chicago over snow. I seem to remember an article listing the best cities for snow abatement. Number one was Cincinatti (?), which they said could handle any amount of snow so long as no more than 6 inches fell in an hour.

Number 1 in Child Poverty and Snow Abatement gently caress yah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SAustria
Jul 25, 2007
I've been running the same set of winterforce tires on my suv for FOUR years continously and they still have almost an inch of tread. A little noisy but soooo cheap.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EightBit posted:

Thank you. I hate how people poo poo on southern cities when we get a freak event and snow sticks around. It's not a remotely regular part of life for us.

I was once in North Carolina for a job, and it had been unusually chilly and had snowed a bit overnight. I was up at 6am and there was about a quarter inch dusting on everything.

At about 6:45 I went to a McDonald's for breakfast, but the doors were locked. I found a guy in a McDonald's uniform hanging out by the back entrance smoking. I asked him when they would open, and he looked at me like I was crazy and said "Uh, I don't know if you noticed, but we got SNOW here. We're closed today."

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Fact: Uber and Lyft drivers are worse than cab drivers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Fact: Uber and Lyft drivers are worse than cab drivers.

Fact: cab drivers are the worst drivers on the road.

Taxis are like an ambulance's natural enemy. Why do they keep trying to speed match me or cut me off when I honk at them? I'm a loving AMBULANCE YOU poo poo I WILL EAT YOUR PRIUS ALIVE

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Are there any other professions where you get worse at them the more you do them? Driving seems to be the only one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Vorkosigan posted:

Well, had to be out in the snow last night picking up boxes for the GF. Thanks Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax, for not salting or plowing at all! So many people just abandoning all hope in their SUVs while I motor on by in my Challenger.

This was with 1/2 an inch.

Like I said, I can't wait for the 20 inches we are supposed to get tomorrow :allears:

EDIT: And so it begins!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/local/cars-slip-slide-crash-in-light-dc-snow/2016/01/21/f69a0308-bff3-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_video.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video/local/light-snow-paralyzes-dc-traffic/2016/01/21/9d8269b0-bffb-11e5-98c8-7fab78677d51_video.html

Cyclist running the red in the snow and ice towards the end of the second one :lol:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

wayfinder posted:

Are there any other professions where you get worse at them the more you do them? Driving seems to be the only one.

I actually think the cause is because of the passengers. After a few thousand hours of "GET ME 30 MILES FROM HERE IN 10 MINUTES OR I WON'T TIP" you start to drive like a jerk and don't care about other cars anymore.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wayfinder posted:

DMV employees.

SAustria posted:

I've been running the same set of winterforce tires on my suv for FOUR years continously and they still have almost an inch of tread. A little noisy but soooo cheap.

You must be measuring in dickinches, I didn't think they had more than like 5/8 to 3/4 of an inch new? :haw:

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Around a year ago or so there was some discussion in this thread regarding high beam abuse. At the time I proposed a theory that a disproportionate number of civics on the road have their high beams on compared to any other make/model to much (some) (not much) criticism. In response I launched a scientifically robust study wherein any time I saw a car with high beams on I recorded it, and today, nine months later I have results.

Some observations:
1) Civics have in fact been vastly over represented, at first I thought it was due to the type of person that buys a civic but I'd expect the same general disinterest from corolla owners. Some quick internetting suggests there should be ~30% more civics on the road than corollas so this also doesn't tell the whole story. My theory is a general lack of interest/awareness in civic drivers, combined with the split dash reducing how often they look down low enough to see the high beam indicator.
2) ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS HAVE MISALIGNED HEADLIGHTS. Seriously, once you start looking for it just about every 200, caliber, avenger, patriot, and a half dozen other chryslers have their low beams aimed up to the moon.
3) I saw one guy in a minivan dozens of times over a multi month period, how can anyone be that unaware??

Discuss.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only reasonable conclusion to make is that you're a giant nerd.

Niven
Apr 16, 2003
Unemployed engineer. "Oil & Gas is a great industry!" "So much opportunity!" "Why would you need transferrable skills??"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Though I have noticed the Chrysler problem too. Someone at the factory must be unhappy with their life and aims every headlight cluster in a random direction.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Niven posted:

Around a year ago or so there was some discussion in this thread regarding high beam abuse. At the time I proposed a theory that a disproportionate number of civics on the road have their high beams on compared to any other make/model to much (some) (not much) criticism. In response I launched a scientifically robust study wherein any time I saw a car with high beams on I recorded it, and today, nine months later I have results.

Some observations:
1) Civics have in fact been vastly over represented, at first I thought it was due to the type of person that buys a civic but I'd expect the same general disinterest from corolla owners. Some quick internetting suggests there should be ~30% more civics on the road than corollas so this also doesn't tell the whole story. My theory is a general lack of interest/awareness in civic drivers, combined with the split dash reducing how often they look down low enough to see the high beam indicator.
2) ALL CHRYSLER PRODUCTS HAVE MISALIGNED HEADLIGHTS. Seriously, once you start looking for it just about every 200, caliber, avenger, patriot, and a half dozen other chryslers have their low beams aimed up to the moon.
3) I saw one guy in a minivan dozens of times over a multi month period, how can anyone be that unaware??

Discuss.

My anecdotal evidence supports your theory. Drivers of Civics, Prius, Camry consistently drive with their headlights off or their highbeams on, when inappropriate. And Chrysler products consistently have misaligned headlights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Though I have noticed the Chrysler problem too. Someone at the factory must be unhappy with their life and aims every headlight cluster in a random direction.

I thought it was just me! I notice it more on late-model Jeeps than anything else, but I'll have to see if I notice it on other Chrysler products now.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

xzzy posted:

its to warn you that a chrysler driver is approaching at night

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/theoval/2016/01/21/obamas-motorcade-also-stalled-dc-snow/79123558/

quote:

The vans slipped and skidded on the icy roads, making contact several times with the curb during the more suburban part of the drive.

quote:

Reporters counted three or four accidents on the road in just the first 20 minutes of the trip.

Thanks, Obama['s motorcade]!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

People lose their poo poo when stuff falls out of the sky, I'm shocked!

Last time we got snow here, my wife said they had three ambulances bring people into the ER within 30 minutes who had been in accidents.. one of them DOA. :downs:

And this is Chicago, where we're allegedly used to it.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Looks like Atlanta is getting shut down for rain. Traffic was a bitch. Hope the drive home in 6 hours produces many good stories.

E: the snow has started falling. The dash cams will be running.

PenisMonkey fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 22, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
New question: how come news channels (I'm watching the poo poo-show on CNN) are saying this storm has killed people, when in fact they've died in traffic collisions? That's hardly the storm's fault, and it removes responsibility from the people who caused the accident. It's not like this storm leapt out of nowhere.

If you count everyone who dies in a traffic accident in winter conditions a victim of the weather, winter is dangerous as gently caress up here in Canada. I never realized how many people had been victimized by this evil, brutal climate :rolleyes:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

PT6A posted:

New question: how come news channels (I'm watching the poo poo-show on CNN) are saying this storm has killed people, when in fact they've died in traffic collisions?

Because it sounds more politically correct than "natural selection is doing its job" and shifts blame from stupid drivers. Just imagine the outcry if meteorologists or newscasters called people out for being a chromosome away from retardation when they do 85 in a blizzard and cause a 27 car pile up.

Ah, the age of irresponsibility and being offended by everything is great, isn't it?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

My wife drives with the high beams on and I get on to her every time. It never fails that she'll take my car somewhere, and the next time I get in it the light stalk is pushed forward in the "high beams on" position.

I think she does it accidentally when turning on the blinker, but it happens so often I can't see how that's a viable explanation.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

New question: how come news channels (I'm watching the poo poo-show on CNN) are saying this storm has killed people, when in fact they've died in traffic collisions? That's hardly the storm's fault, and it removes responsibility from the people who caused the accident. It's not like this storm leapt out of nowhere.

If you count everyone who dies in a traffic accident in winter conditions a victim of the weather, winter is dangerous as gently caress up here in Canada. I never realized how many people had been victimized by this evil, brutal climate :rolleyes:

Same reason they call it "GUN VIOLENCE," it's all about shaping a narrative.

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009

-S- posted:

My wife drives with the high beams on and I get on to her every time. It never fails that she'll take my car somewhere, and the next time I get in it the light stalk is pushed forward in the "high beams on" position.

I think she does it accidentally when turning on the blinker, but it happens so often I can't see how that's a viable explanation.
When was the last time she saw an eye doctor?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PCOS Bill posted:

Same reason they call it "GUN VIOLENCE," it's all about shaping a narrative.

Agreed, if only the liebral media would equally report all of the instances of mass stabbings/floggings at schools, theaters and/or workplaces that occur on an almost daily basis in this country oh wai...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

Agreed, if only the liebral media would equally report all of the instances of mass stabbings at schools, theaters and/or workplaces that occur on an almost daily basis in this country oh wai...

THE ONLY THING THAT CAN STOP A BAD DRIVER WITH A CAR IS A GOOD DRIVER WITH A CAR

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

Agreed, if only the liebral media would equally report all of the instances of mass stabbings/floggings at schools, theaters and/or workplaces that occur on an almost daily basis in this country oh wai...

Well, that's one way to have taken that, I suppose.

Wow.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Oh god can we take the gun talk to tfr? We aren't going to convince anyone.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ignoring the way this thread is going.. People continue to amaze me in new and interesting ways on a regular basis on my commute.

Tonight, I'm coming home during rush hour, and I've finally gotten past the stop & go crush portion, and I'm cruising along at about 70 mph in the high speed lane a nice 3 seconds or so behind the next guy. Some lady in a SUV of a type I've never seen before (mid sized, looked like a Mazda logo, but all square corners and boxy) was passing me on my left in the car pool lane (shockingly, she actually had a passenger).

Out of nowhere, with no signal, she changes lanes into my lane, probably less than 5' from my front bumper. This was sort of surprising since there was a nice gap behind me, and as I mentioned I was leaving a nice gap in front as well. Not totally unusual though. What was unusual is that immediately after getting into the lane right in front of me, she immediately brake checks me, multiple times. WTF? Semi to my right so I can't just move over, so I back off to a safe distance. After about a mile she pulls back into the car pool lane and zooms off. :iiam:

I wish I had mind reading ability just so I could know what strange things are going through people's heads sometimes. Maybe she had an Ex that drives a silver Focus or something, who knows.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Who wants to wager a guess as to where the snow is?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I have never had to drive in snow in my entire life. Without ice is it really much worse than heavy rain? People in Florida gently caress up rain driving all the time which is hilarious and depressing.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes it's worse, but not that much worse to cause an entire shutdown.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

It also depends on how the roads are maintained. In the Northeast, and outside major cities, two inches of snow is nothing. As you go further south, there's less snow plows and more lovely summer tires, so a light dusting on the road turns into burning cars.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Looks like it's time for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-PK1wQrWs

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Here's how a local state trooper treated a motorcyclist who passed on a solid line:

http://i.imgur.com/TrqPCCF.gifv

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

blk posted:

Here's how a local state trooper treated a motorcyclist who passed on a solid line:

http://i.imgur.com/TrqPCCF.gifv

That's a trooper who should be asking if you want fries with your order, hopefully sometime in the very near future.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

That's a trooper who should be asking if you want fries with your order, hopefully sometime in the very near future.

Nope. Promoted even, since the incident.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

Nope. Promoted even, since the incident.

Yea.. something is pretty broken there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We're not even to a point where an officer will see discipline or jail for shooting unarmed people, ramming a guy off his bike isn't even on the radar.

Law enforcement is broken, everyone knows it, but it's gonna take a long time to fix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

xzzy posted:

We're not even to a point where an officer will see discipline or jail for shooting unarmed people, ramming a guy off his bike isn't even on the radar.

Law enforcement is broken, everyone knows it, but it's gonna take a long time to fix.

I wasn't even all that concerned about him bumping the bike, it was how he acted afterwards, with his gun out (and handled in a way that I've certainly never seen taught outside of a video game or gangster movie).