Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Tae posted:

The mystic knight move where you jump and do a stinger seems...bad? Like what is the purpose of it?

Sky Rapture is one of my favorite abilities in the game. Granted, I'm mostly interested in skills that are fun and let me do DMC-esque stylish combo poo poo and not skills that are the absolute #1 most effective, but even from a min-max standpoint, Sky Rapture is decent.

One thing the description doesn't tell you is that if you use it while directly next to an enemy, it will shoot them up into the air and then you both go surging forward as you stab them. This is fun and cool in its own right, but it also lets you deal damage to enemies from the safety of the air while also getting you out of whatever situation you're in.

You can use it to hit fliers, you can use it to close gaps against enemies that are up an incline or are tall enough to not fly over. It allows you to reliably hit many larger monsters in the head for great damage, and if you spam it, it does incredibly good knockback making it fantastic for knocking things over. poo poo, you can even use it for platforming.

It's very versatile and is one of the major reasons that physical MK is maybe my preferred vocation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steelpete
Sep 25, 2007
Ill take an add to the steam group, thanks http://steamcommunity.com/id/steelpete/

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So my pawn is probably going to hit lvl 200 today, but I'm stuck deciding if I should switch her to a Fighter for the last handful of levels to make his stats a little bit for "tanky", at the cost of more deeps and mag. def.

-Fighter Stats-
HP 4575 / ST 3470
Attack 666 / Magick 283
Defense 562 / Mag. Defense 258

-Ranger Stats-
HP 4225 / ST 3820
Attack 701 / Magick 283
Defense 492 / Mag. Defense 293

Which stat spread is better guys?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Im_Special posted:

So my pawn is probably going to hit lvl 200 today, but I'm stuck deciding if I should switch her to a Fighter for the last handful of levels to make his stats a little bit for "tanky", at the cost of more deeps and mag. def.

-Fighter Stats-
HP 4575 / ST 3470
Attack 666 / Magick 283

-Ranger Stats-
HP 4225 / ST 3820
Attack 701 / Magick 283

I would go ranger,to me the Stamina and Attack are more useful than the HP and Defense you gain.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
That was the initial plan, going 100 - 200 as a Ranger for the final stretch, but 5 hp per level feels so bad, I'm not so sure if give my pawn 35 levels of a Fighter for that HP boost is worth it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Just bought the game, downloading now. Any non-spoilery advice you'd give to a newb?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Man, what the gently caress. I gave my arisen ring to mercedes and ended up with the blond shopkeeper chick. The hell happened?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Im_Special posted:

-Fighter Stats-
HP 4575 / ST 3470
Attack 666 / Magick 283

-Ranger Stats-
HP 4225 / ST 3820
Attack 701 / Magick 283

with gear, you'll basically never notice the difference either way

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Tae posted:

Man, what the gently caress. I gave my arisen ring to mercedes and ended up with the blond shopkeeper chick. The hell happened?

The ring just maxes their affinity, they also have to be the last person with max affinity you talk to for the game to pick them. It's a little dumb, but there you go.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Just bought the game, downloading now. Any non-spoilery advice you'd give to a newb?

Don't worry at all about your class selection, you can swap and change basically at will with no real consequence, do whatever seems fun and try them all.

When you pick up a bunch of "kill x monster" quests from a bounty board, don't go out of your way to do them. You won't have fun and it's a waste of time. Let them complete naturally as you play.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Minorkos posted:

with gear, you'll basically never notice the difference either way

Yeah, but optimal.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

mirarant posted:

Might want to give out some more info (your level, where are you in the storyline etc.)

I'm still really early on, about LV12, dicking around doing all these sidequests before heading to Gran Soren. I found the bandit castle in that field, and then I slipped off a wall trying to platform, fell to my death, and lost 2 hours of progress because the game doesn't auto-save unless you hit a loading zone apparently :(

I'm certain there's some incredibly crucial game mechanic I'm missing that makes the game fun, though, because I played DMC3 and this is a far cry from that right now.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

I'm still really early on, about LV12, dicking around doing all these sidequests before heading to Gran Soren. I found the bandit castle in that field, and then I slipped off a wall trying to platform, fell to my death, and lost 2 hours of progress because the game doesn't auto-save unless you hit a loading zone apparently :(

I'm certain there's some incredibly crucial game mechanic I'm missing that makes the game fun, though, because I played DMC3 and this is a far cry from that right now.

Get to Gran Soren so you can change vocations try a different vocation.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Take care at the water's edge, wolves hunt in packs, and goblins ill like fire.

But yeah, what Scoss said. Also don't be worried about spending money on gear and upgrades, at the beginning you'll routinely waver between rich and destitute. Check your stored items (at the inns) both at the beginning of the game and once you make it to the big city.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SciFiDownBeat posted:

There are 7 points in the main quest where advancing the plot will fail uncompleted sidequests with little to no indication.

If you want to 100% the game your first playthrough you should use a guide. However, the achievement for 100% quest completion counts across all runs on a single character.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

You can quicksave by hitting start->select (or whatever the equivalent is on the keyboard).

The combat in this game is pretty great. You don't start with many skills though, and some of them don't explain themselves very well. Level up your vocation a bit and try buying some more stuff. You can also switch your class at Bitterblack Isle or Gran Soren if you find that your current one isn't clicking with you.

You seem to be playing Fighter right now. The initial dash attack is pretty good, but I think you're underestimating your other basic attacks, especially since Burst Strike knocks enemies away from you which isn't always ideal. The default swings have a wide arc that lets you hit multiple targets, the alternate light attack does great damage, and you have two very useful jump attacks. The standing heavy attack is pretty poo poo though, I'll admit. If you're coming to the conclusion that anything other that Burst Strike sucks after fighting shield or 2hander bandits at low levels, I can see where you're coming from because your scrub-level weapons aren't going to stagger them with anything else, and they'll proceed to 3-shot you. But that's just those specific dudes in that specific situation.

Do you have perfect blocks unlocked yet? I barely do regular blocks with the shield. Mostly use it as a Dark Souls-esque parry mechanic. I'd highly recommend picking up Compass Slash if you haven't already as well. It does good damage, hits in a 360 degree arc, lets you cancel out of stagger animations, and gives you invulnerability frames. You can switch it out for the similar but better Dragon's Maw later on.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 23, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Alabaster White posted:

I honestly don't know why anyone would compare this game to DMC3. They're different genres and aspire to create completely different experiences.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

I honestly don't know why anyone would compare this game to DMC3. They're different genres and aspire to create completely different experiences.

Mostly because it was directed by the same guy that directed DMC3 and 4.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you had to compare this game to something, I'd probably go with Monster Hunter more than anything else.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

So is there meant to be a huge jump in difficulty after the first big boss of BBI? Most of my abilities seem to be doing chip damage. I've been touring through classes, and I'm about 3/4ths way through magic swordman right now, is it just that they suck/need stats to be good? I tried casting two of the cannon ability, and even firing like 30-40 lightning orbs at things seems to barely move their healthbars.

I'm level ~80 on hard mode, if it matters.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Emong posted:

Mostly because it was directed by the same guy that directed DMC3 and 4.

And?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just discovered that I had a ring that makes me immune to dousing, and it's the best goddamn thing. No more messing around with the lantern all the time.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Magus42 posted:

You can shoot the bolts out of the air w/the ballista as well, and yours reloads slightly faster than they shoot. Though that's only really useful when one is already gone.
You can also fire regular bolts which will still shoot down the explosive bolts, reload so fast that they can be quickly fired in rapid succession and can destroy the ballistae, although they do take more shots than with the explosive bolts.

Emong
May 31, 2011

And nothing, really. That and some of the sword/mace moves looking like DMC moves are why people do that.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Broken Cog posted:

I just discovered that I had a ring that makes me immune to dousing, and it's the best goddamn thing. No more messing around with the lantern all the time.

Anybody who goes Magick Archer should know that Ward Arrow/Grand Ward Arrow makes you immune to dowsing along with every other status effect :getin:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I forgot I had equipped blast arrows when I tried tenfold flurry on the cockatrice.

:stare:

:getin:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Im_Special posted:

Yeah, but optimal.

Optimal doesn't have a whole lot of meaning when it comes to pawns. You can make a max strength Ranger with gold forged gear and he/she would still spend half the fight looting or running around like an idiot. Make sure to use the Sinew augment but beyond that no one will care.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I forgot I had equipped blast arrows when I tried tenfold flurry on the cockatrice.

:stare:

:getin:

Now do that to a single goblin.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The OP says "Fancy words aside, the combat system in Dragon's Dogma is hands down one of the best I've ever had the pleasure to play this side of a character action game. Designed by the staff responsible for Devil May Cry 3 and 4, there is a surprising amount of depth, with different basic combos depending on how fast you do successive attacks, the ability to string special moves along with these basic combos, and jump cancelling." It's not the biggest stretch to assume "good combat" + "made by DMC devs" = "combat is like DMC".

Vargs posted:

You seem to be playing Fighter right now. The initial dash attack is pretty good, but I think you're underestimating your other basic attacks, especially since Burst Strike knocks enemies away from you which isn't always ideal. The default swings have a wide arc that lets you hit multiple targets, the alternate light attack does great damage, and you have two very useful jump attacks. The standing heavy attack is pretty poo poo though, I'll admit. If you're coming to the conclusion that anything other that Burst Strike sucks after fighting shield or 2hander bandits at low levels, I can see where you're coming from because your scrub-level weapons aren't going to stagger them with anything else, and they'll proceed to 3-shot you. But that's just those specific dudes in that specific situation.

Yeah, I'm playing Fighter. Considering I barely understand what you're saying to me, I'm certain there's some important stuff I'm missing. AFAIK all I can do right now is: basic 3-hit light combo, garbo-rear end slow heavy thrust, and Burst Strike from the special menu. I guess I should get to Gran Soren cause apparently that's where all the cool "you can actually do stuff now" things are. I'm just so used to advancing the main quest as being a terrible idea in open-world RPGs.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I'll use the pawns of anybody who adds me to their friend's list, starting as soon as I get home on Sunday: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198002691647/
Also ya'll should use my pawn Dryad (lvl 27 right now I think?), complete with custom inclinations and some taught behavior.

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, I'm playing Fighter. Considering I barely understand what you're saying to me, I'm certain there's some important stuff I'm missing. AFAIK all I can do right now is: basic 3-hit light combo, garbo-rear end slow heavy thrust, and Burst Strike from the special menu. I guess I should get to Gran Soren cause apparently that's where all the cool "you can actually do stuff now" things are. I'm just so used to advancing the main quest as being a terrible idea in open-world RPGs.

You can learn new skills from the innkeeper in the encampment, if you want to get some before Gran Soren, but yes you want to get to Gran Soren as soon as possible (it'll cancel 6 sidequests from the village and encampment, but none of them give good rewards aside from the Quina one unlocking later side quests)

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 23, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

And it's a mostly melee-focused game that allows you to juggle enemies with varied combos supplemented by quick ranged attacks (if you're a bow class anyway). You attack and move very quickly, the game has dramatic pauses in the action when you land big hits, you can topple enemies by chaining varied combos on them, there's a skill that allows you to literally do DMC move canceling, and enemy tactics are based on slower big hits than quicker small ones to balance against yours and allow you time to dodge; and most of this flavor is because it's by the same director as the DMC games.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

The OP says "Fancy words aside, the combat system in Dragon's Dogma is hands down one of the best I've ever had the pleasure to play this side of a character action game. Designed by the staff responsible for Devil May Cry 3 and 4, there is a surprising amount of depth, with different basic combos depending on how fast you do successive attacks, the ability to string special moves along with these basic combos, and jump cancelling." It's not the biggest stretch to assume "good combat" + "made by DMC devs" = "combat is like DMC".

Talk to the dude out front of the rift crystal in encampment, you'll be able to buy new abilities and set 'em.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Alabaster White posted:

He's talking about other special skills you can learn and that you can actually change your class in Gran Soren. In the encampment where you design your main pawn, you can learn new skills for your class (vocation) as well.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Trick Question posted:

Talk to the dude out front of the rift crystal in encampment, you'll be able to buy new abilities and set 'em.

Yeah see there we go. I knew I'd missed something important. First time I played Dark Souls too I didn't understand the hype because I managed to pick the only class that can't kick with its starting weapon.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I'm not sure I "get" how to gear up for BBI. I'm level 47 in the postgame and I've messed around in Everfall quite a bit and taken down most everything there, without finding many upgrades. Some stuff in BBI doesn't seem too bad, but then a Garm spawns that literally one shots me from full hp. I've found a couple items to purify but nothing that's really any good. Do I need levels, should I do NG+, or do I just soldier on while looking for more stuff to purify?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

voltron lion force posted:

I'm not sure I "get" how to gear up for BBI. I'm level 47 in the postgame and I've messed around in Everfall quite a bit and taken down most everything there, without finding many upgrades. Some stuff in BBI doesn't seem too bad, but then a Garm spawns that literally one shots me from full hp. I've found a couple items to purify but nothing that's really any good. Do I need levels, should I do NG+, or do I just soldier on while looking for more stuff to purify?

Just run when the screen turns grey/brown. The mobs that spawn then are a fair bit stronger than whatever else is in that area.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Im not sure how anyone else did it, but I killed gazer with one of the lovely magic bow drops from a random chest in BBI, then farmed the Fortress of Remembrance for level 1 BBI weapons. There's 3 chests all in a row (ish) that drop them, and an elminator guards one of them, who can also drop a level 2 weapon!

If you can't get past gazer, there's a couple of chests in the vault of defiled truth that drop level 1 weapons, and if you're frustrated with bad rng, you can save scum the chests until they give up the goods.

Once I had a level 1 BBI weapon things stopped being insurmountably hard to deal with.

Fake edit: purifying is its own bag of tricks and rng, too, and you should read the wiki page on it if you're not familiar, because you definitely can screw yourself out of good loot if you're not careful.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

voltron lion force posted:

A little of all of those. I like doing ng+ because it resets your BBI progress, and gives you a shortcut to the ur-dragon so you can grind him for gear/wakestones. 47 is high enough to do some stuff, but you'll probably hit a wall at some point. If any fuckoff huge monsters (cursed dragons, garms, death) show up, just book it since they're way past your level, and they'll disappear once you go through a door.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

Just run when the screen turns grey/brown. The mobs that spawn then are a fair bit stronger than whatever else is in that area.

Yup. When you kill enemies in most rooms in BBI, there's a chance for a Necrophagous Beast to appear. They're some of the hardest enemies in the game. Not impossible to take down, but they require hefty damage output to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Does anyone have a mage that just heals? I will hire that pawn forever.