Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It's also difficult to get an idea of the number of occupiers because (as the report says when describing the 30) some of them have left the refuge, and others only visit during the day and stay elsewhere at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, how many people do you think are there? The videos have made it look like about 50 total, counting women and children. 15 probably isn't perfectly accurate, but I'd guess maybe 25 armed men?

Who gives a gently caress

I'm not disputing numbers I'm disputing that the description accurately lays out the problems going on in Burns and Malheur, which are not at all limited to the already hosed up Malheur occupation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I love Joe O'Shaugnessy. He apparently thought that the ease with which they occupied the (empty, seasonal) building and the fact that they left the power on over the winter was a sign that the refuge was bugged and the government somehow lured them into occupying it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chitoryu12 posted:

I love Joe O'Shaugnessy. He apparently thought that the ease with which they occupied the (empty, seasonal) building and the fact that they left the power on over the winter was a sign that the refuge was bugged and the government somehow lured them into occupying it.
That dastardly Obama has tricked us into discrediting ourselves with this inviting bird sanctuary!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

kartikeya posted:

It's worth popping back in for the last few pages at least. Sarah Palin endorsed Trump, and Freep is split pretty cleanly between Trump and Cruz right now. The wars are amazing.

Jimrob was always for Trump wasn't he? It's not nearly as entertaining if the one he's supported is the current winner.

theflyingorc posted:

Oh ok, i thought i might have missed info that indicated there were more people than that or something

There could be exactly 15 guys and no women or children present and Jarmak's description would still be hand-waving bullshit because he's conveniently ignoring that these people are harassing locals (including the one guy whose tired got slashed) they don't like while the militia's defenders (including here) give bullshit defenses of said harassment because well gosh we can't ID the perps so what can we do. :shrug:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Nessus posted:

That dastardly Obama has tricked us into discrediting ourselves with this inviting bird sanctuary!

When the time is right, Obama's gonna push a button, and shutters are going to come down over all the windows and doors.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

KOIN is reporting that Bundy walked out of todays FBI talks after 5 mins because they wouldn't let the media in too, says he'll only deal with the local police and headed over to the sheriffs office.

Happening now or very recently as far as I can tell.

Sounds like the FBI strategy is working, then. Keep starving them of oxygen.

As a Millennial I posted:

That report is also from the earliest days of the occupation. There's got to be a lot more by now. Had the PPN and 3%ers even showed up by then?

PPN and 3% are actually the same group, with Brandon Curtiss at the effective helm. They're not affiliated with the occupiers, although they share similar beliefs-instead, Curtiss is attempting to draw media attention.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

it is loving insane how daintily the fbi is handling this

allowing a criminal to come forward to discuss terms? not even the terms of his surrender, just getting him to go home

they are unbelievably committed to making sure these lunatics don't have a worry in the world. where was this fbi during the occupy protests?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the fbi does have an extra wing of the hospital cleared out just for the ranchers

it's so that if any one of them feels the slightest bit unwell they can be treated and back to their protest in no time

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Radbot posted:

Do you want another Waco??

The funny thing about the Waco comparisons is that anyone with half a brain can see that the only real thread connecting the two situations is that there are some people in a building that don't want to leave. As soon as the bullets start flying just about everybody in that compound is going to poo poo their pants and come crawling out on their belies. They're bullies and bullies are cowards. If any of them really are crazy enough not to leave they're just going to hole themselves in an interior room after everyone else is gone and blow their brains out the next day. Everybody wins.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Maybe they could turn it into a day spa. Some of these militia guys could probably use a massage and pedicure by now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Discendo Vox posted:

Sounds like the FBI strategy is working, then. Keep starving them of oxygen.

Please.

They said hi to the nice armed militant that brought the circus to town, gave him a media pop, and sent him on his way.

What would you be telling the fed employees currently uprooted from their own homes who can't come back until this is over?

Good news guys, we just spoke with the armed nutcase keeping you from your unoccupied house in the middle of a cold snap, keeping your child out of school for 3 weeks and counting, and he said no thanks. Stay tuned!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
i wonder what they would do if a group of people just drove up, went in and started partying with loud music. Forcibly remove them? That doesnt sound very constitutional

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Ninkobei posted:

i wonder what they would do if a group of people just drove up, went in and started partying with loud music. Forcibly remove them? That doesnt sound very constitutional

Unless this turns into the shantytown from The Leftovers I'll be let down.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Condiv posted:

the fbi does have an extra wing of the hospital cleared out just for the ranchers

Unless you've got some current info, that was disproved a while ago.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He's right, they send inpatient mental health care cases to Providence St. Vincent.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Spun Dog posted:

Unless you've got some current info, that was disproved a while ago.

Condiv's just shitposting.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Discendo Vox posted:

Condiv's just shitposting.

Gah, It's hard to know where to draw the "TOO LUDICROUS TO BELIEVE" line anymore.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Latest scuttlebutt says Bundy was stopped before entering the sheriffs office by officers, the sheriff they've talked about arresting wasn't there, he debated the constitution at them for a while and then left back to Malheur.

FBI is now bracing for at least 3 Waco's after being told of King Bundy not being allowed to go wherever he pleases and reportedly being a bit cranky at th scene.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

My understanding was that the hospital was indeed preparing for casualties at the FBI's direction, and that there'd been an official statement pointing out that this was SOP for this kind of situation, not some kind of scary threat/escalation like Santilli was screaming about. Now I can't find any such statement, though, so who loving knows.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe the goal now is some big Obama last year troll - just string em along until summer and then loving Occupy it - turn Burns into Burning Man - I'd get out to the West Coast for that.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Last I heard about it was this:

But who knows for sure? Maybe god is real and his name is Andy Kaufman

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I honestly don't see a single reason any RW militia butthole who cares less about jail (or, the increasingly small chance of dying) than being a big famous movement hero wouldn't be planning one of these things right now, especially if they think they're capable of planning a camping trip and not exposing themselves to unforced-error ridicule.

This is spree shooter publicity without all the messy killing and dying, plus you can get on tv and beat your chest about the constitution all you want. Maybe the media peters out but so what? You can still call in to any hundreds of RW radio shows, start your own social media outreach, claim the lack of coverage is deliberate and orchestrated.

Really if we don't get another one of these within a month this whole militia movement are even bigger pussies than I imagined.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Especially if you're exactly the kind of sovcit dummy who this thing was made by and for. Why bumble around racking up bullshit tickets on your way to an anonymous jail sentence when you could go out in a flashy, comfy, weeks long blaze of glory with daily press conferences all about your chosen interpretation of british common law and the bible?

Now that I think about it I take back what I said about militias specifically, I'm sure any number of movements and issues have people as we speak figuring out exactly which wildlife preserve to gently caress up so they can exchange whatever consequences (or in the case of cliven and ammon as of today, no consequences) for weeks upon weeks of media coverage and secondary media doing thought pieces about how MAYBE YOU HAVE A POINT but tut tut on your tactics. Very rude.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

As a Millennial I posted:

My understanding was that the hospital was indeed preparing for casualties at the FBI's direction, and that there'd been an official statement pointing out that this was SOP for this kind of situation, not some kind of scary threat/escalation like Santilli was screaming about. Now I can't find any such statement, though, so who loving knows.

Maybe he was making a loving joke by subverting the expectations and having the space used for the militia? Hash tag basicjokecraft

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Jimrob was always for Trump wasn't he? It's not nearly as entertaining if the one he's supported is the current winner.

I think he's leaned that way, but he's been very very quiet and hasn't come down on either side. If he's smart he won't purge the unbelievers as long as he can because that cuts into his income. But Jimrob is not a smart man.

Meanwhile, Freep is tearing itself to pieces in any thread that remotely mentions Cruz or Trump, and it's pretty glorious. With Are Sarah going for Trump, there was an avalanche of SHE IS DEAD TO ME posts from the Cruz fans.

Anyhow, content! Sort of. This is a very, very angry man, and he calls what the US Government did to the Native Americans equivalent to Waco and Ruby Ridge, so that's. That's a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMJhAGe8QtM

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Why not just turn off the power and make them literally camp since they, presumably, are not paying for the utilities for this building they are illegally occupying?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Why not just turn off the power and make them literally camp since they, presumably, are not paying for the utilities for this building they are illegally occupying?

Due to how the power's set up, there's no way to cut power to the compound without either a) cutting power to several neighboring ranches or b) doing it onsite, which would rapidly escalate. They've also brought in prepper-style generators at this point, so the effect wouldn't be that significant.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

It's a bit complicated, shutting off the power there would affect residents. And literally cutting a power cable is not as simple as it sounds.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
cut off power - > idiots try to hook up gennys to the reserve -> idiots electrocute themselves -> surviving idiots sue govt for cutting off power.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just leak it on the paranoid schizo message boards they frequent that an anonymous source at the power line plant said that government specifications require a fiber optic line be included for surveillance

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm sure that if the people inside those buildings had dark skin and said that they were occupying the refuge until Obama was replaced with a Caliph, the FBI would have already begun firing tear gas and started driving armored cars through the walls.

Assuming the Pacific Northwest right-wing militias didn't try to stage a daylight raid on the compound first.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Duke Igthorn posted:

Maybe he was making a loving joke by subverting the expectations and having the space used for the militia? Hash tag basicjokecraft

:yikes:

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down
3 weeks later, this isn't fun anymore. How does this end?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

climboutonalimb posted:

3 weeks later, this isn't fun anymore. How does this end?

Either they just get to stay there for the foreseeable future or they get bored and leave, of course they will not get charged with any of the crimes they have committed in a timely fashion. Maybe they will get book deals and get paid for this! What a cheery thought!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Maybe they will get book deals and get paid for this! What a cheery thought!

Title suggestions? "My Fight" sounds catchy but might be a bit on the nose...

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Either they just get to stay there for the foreseeable future or they get bored and leave, of course they will not get charged with any of the crimes they have committed in a timely fashion. Maybe they will get book deals and get paid for this! What a cheery thought!

At this point, I'm expecting them to get personal apology notes from politicians for daring to question their noble (delusional) cause. Once more, we prove that laws don't matter if you're white and right wing enough.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

There could be exactly 15 guys and no women or children present and Jarmak's description would still be hand-waving bullshit because he's conveniently ignoring that these people are harassing locals (including the one guy whose tired got slashed) they don't like while the militia's defenders (including here) give bullshit defenses of said harassment because well gosh we can't ID the perps so what can we do. :shrug:

Occupy Oakland murdered someone, occupy Cleveland tried to bomb a bridge, and you're accusing me of being dishonest because I failed to mentioned someone's tires being slashed?

Besides that the point I was making was in regards to numbers and location, and the difference in disruption.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

is this supposed to be a minuteman?

because the getup is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/JohnLGC/status/690629003976146944

• Locked thread