Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it cleansed my loving WALLET heyoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Each DD mission has a 15k gold reward, and completing a DD mission gives you stress relief for the entire roster so it's not like you need to spend that gold on recovery (and vets of DD missions are semi retired anyhow.) That's a lot of bandages.

Yeah for real if you're actually fretting over the cost of loving bandages then you're so far out of complaints you lost the argument 5 points ago.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
For some reason at a glance I thought the witch was flipping you off and started to chuckle.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

she p much is, by her very existence

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees
Let's do this! :buddy: And they're all wearing Sun Rings too!

EDIT: Trip report!

The red leper is actually my good one so I was worried there for a while.

Lyrax fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 23, 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If I have any problems with this game, it's that god-damnit, everyone's hitting level 3 and guys we are not done with the level 1 bosses yet!

And on top of that I'm paranoid enough with retreats that no one's dying, so I don't have fresh guys to go point at those bosses. :sigh:

edit: Treebranch Giant just casually wrecking my party by shuffling it, then one-shotting my poor Plague Doc down to Death's Door. :stonk:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jan 23, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Lyrax posted:

Let's do this! :buddy: And they're all wearing Sun Rings too!

lmao

have fun chopping and hewing through endless buffed summons while the graverobber desperately plinks away at an otherworldly abomination

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have any problems with this game, it's that god-damnit, everyone's hitting level 3 and guys we are not done with the level 1 bosses yet!

And on top of that I'm paranoid enough with retreats that no one's dying, so I don't have fresh guys to go point at those bosses. :sigh:

edit: Treebranch Giant just casually wrecking my party by shuffling it, then one-shotting my poor Plague Doc down to Death's Door. :stonk:

Hey, now you've got some room on your roster for fresh meat :unsmigghh:

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
Totally new to the game here. Are there any classes to avoid like the plague, or are they all serviceable?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Every class is useful to one extent or another but most people seem to agree the Leper and the Jester are low tier.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fargom posted:

Houndmaster is my favorite class, HM/HM/HM/Leper is currently my A team and they are smashing level 3 missions pretty easily at this point. Having all 4 people capable of self heal is pretty loving rad, and blackjack might be the best stun in the game.

It might be, if Flashbang and Uppercut did not exist. Batman > dogman.

Dr. Carwash posted:

Totally new to the game here. Are there any classes to avoid like the plague, or are they all serviceable?

Leper and Jester are generally acknowledged as the duds. They're "serviceable", after a fashion, but definitely focus on other classes until you get a better handle on the game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

lmao

have fun chopping and hewing through endless buffed summons while the graverobber desperately plinks away at an otherworldly abomination

Looks like he did quite well. The thing I like about this game is people getting their knickers in a twist when people use sub-optimal party compositions

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Lyrax posted:

The Berserk Mask and Berserk Charm are two different trinkets. One exclusively for the Leper and one equippable by everyone. And you may as well put it on everyone with that DMG and Spd boost.
Stress damage is a big deal in the DD unfortunately

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Exmond posted:

Looks like he did quite well. The thing I like about this game is people getting their knickers in a twist when people use sub-optimal party compositions

im loving furious that he's using lepers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im loving furious that he's using lepers

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he is a Darkest Dungeon thread leper, for using lepers

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Eonwe being in this thread has increased the quality by 100%.

PARRRRRP

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
he should have used three lepers and a jester, for perfectly curated trolling

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011

Coolguye posted:

Yeah for real if you're actually fretting over the cost of loving bandages then you're so far out of complaints you lost the argument 5 points ago.

Seriously, if the cost for supplies is chafing you that much, just edit their cost in the inventory .json file to something more palatable. And if it's REALLY chafing you that much, then give them a (much) higher buy-back price, and cheese the game for easy money. It's far better to seek practical solutions than complain about the existing problems. If gold is that big a problem, then cheese inventory items. If you need trinkets, then increase the number the Wagon generates. If you need rarer trinkets, drop common/uncommon rates to 0. The game is highly editable. It's best to take advantage of that. At least until the next update rolls in and restores all files to default settings, and then you have to change them all again, anyway.

Incidentally: what's everyone's strategy(s) for The Collector? Ran into him for the first time a couple days back, and I feel like pulling him to the front and wailing on him first wasn't how that fight is supposed to work.

Radiochromatic fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 23, 2016

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rascyc posted:

Stress damage is a big deal in the DD unfortunately

Berserker Charm has extremely good synergy with Heaven's Hairpin, which is really cool and thematic for hellions. You wind up with net +5 acc, +15% damage, +3 speed, and -5% stress damage, which is a pretty nice set of bonuses for any pair of trinkets. The only penalty you're left with is -10% virtue chance, which doesn't matter, because you've got a hella buff hellion who will murder everything instead of going crazy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fargom posted:

Eonwe being in this thread has increased the quality by 100%.

PARRRRRP

hi

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

Exmond posted:

Yeah wow I didn't even have a point posting the initial picture other than I knew the party composition is loving awful. And with you always getting surprised by the Shambler, who knows how useful those Lepers are on the first round.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Would it be wise just to load up every Darkest Dungeon Team with the Hero Rings for +15% Virtue chance?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I might take 1 to be moved around to whoever's stress is the highest, but giving up 4 trinket slots for virtue chances is not a great tradeoff imo. I've started using Hero Rings instead of destressing my guys and the results have not been great, purely anecdotally +15 virtue chance seems to get me 1 virtue per 3 or 4 afflictions

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

my view is that it is probably better to not get to 100 stress in the first place, and to use other trinkets to help prevent that

i mean, if it's 50/50 vice/virtue and you get +15% to virtue, that's still a 35% chance of each of your dudes turning into something that actively works against your party, and i think the actual virtue chance is less than that

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Finally lost a dude for good. RIP Not-Reynaud, you were pretty cool but you got Collectored like a Champion. Also the first mission I gave up because that Collector happened in the first or second hallway so I was never going to finish the dungeon alive.

I find it oddly appealing to do dungeons with totally expendable dudes and sub-adequate supplies. I did this a couple of times on a fresh save file and made 30-40k pretty darn quick (Dismas died on the way back to his home planet, though). A trick I read on reddit is to float between the 51-75 range and the 26-50 range, torch-wise. The former is for rooms, for surprise% and scouting, and the latter is for hallways, so that curios give out more $$$.

e:^^^^^ There's no way the affliction/virtue chance is 50-50. A rough estimate based on my experience is that the base odds are something in the 15-25% range.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I might take 1 to be moved around to whoever's stress is the highest, but giving up 4 trinket slots for virtue chances is not a great tradeoff imo. I've started using Hero Rings instead of destressing my guys and the results have not been great, purely anecdotally +15 virtue chance seems to get me 1 virtue per 3 or 4 afflictions

Ooh that's actually smart, it's a pity you can't take Trinkets with you anymore, I would have loved to bring along trinkets to swap into after using the... I think there's a trinket that gives +20% actually, one of the Ancestral ones. Just bring it and the hero Ring, throw them on whoever has the most Stress, swap em about.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

my view is that it is probably better to not get to 100 stress in the first place, and to use other trinkets to help prevent that

i mean, if it's 50/50 vice/virtue and you get +15% to virtue, that's still a 35% chance of each of your dudes turning into something that actively works against your party, and i think the actual virtue chance is less than that

Also, the Darkest Dungeon is the worst place to try to gamble with afflictions. You can do virtue chance gimmick runs in other dungeons, because if it doesn't pay off you can always just abort. In the DD, you're stuck with an afflicted character who has bad trinkets and you can't retreat without losing someone.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hands down my favorite party name in the game so far.

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015
Why do people on here hate the Jester so much? Battle Ballad is the best buff in the game (not even taking into account the fact that it stacks) and Inspiring Tune is the only worthwhile Fear heal. I got through every mid-level dungeon and boss pre-release with a Jester in my fourth rank Battle Ballad-ing and spot healing for Stress. After the Ballad stacks it's pretty much assured that all four of your adventurers will go first every round, which allows for teams with unusually slow characters who have massive buffs to damage from trinkets.

I think the Jester is actually worse after the release. My go-to teams used to be Jester/Vestal/Crusader/Crusader, with both Crusaders with Holy Lancing and stunning, or Jester/Occultist/Abom/misc. Now both Crusader and Abomination have been nerfed, so you need that fourth slot for an additional marker, spot damager, or utility character, and can't justify the inclusion of a pure Fear healer and general buffer.

As for the Leper, he is and always has been a chump. A leprous, self-righteous chump.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I like my leper even if he's kind of bad :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

centaurtainment posted:

Why do people on here hate the Jester so much? Battle Ballad is the best buff in the game (not even taking into account the fact that it stacks) and Inspiring Tune is the only worthwhile Fear heal. I got through every mid-level dungeon and boss pre-release with a Jester in my fourth rank Battle Ballad-ing and spot healing for Stress. After the Ballad stacks it's pretty much assured that all four of your adventurers will go first every round, which allows for teams with unusually slow characters who have massive buffs to damage from trinkets.

I think the Jester is actually worse after the release. My go-to teams used to be Jester/Vestal/Crusader/Crusader, with both Crusaders with Holy Lancing and stunning, or Jester/Occultist/Abom/misc. Now both Crusader and Abomination have been nerfed, so you need that fourth slot for an additional marker, spot damager, or utility character, and can't justify the inclusion of a pure Fear healer and general buffer.

As for the Leper, he is and always has been a chump. A leprous, self-righteous chump.

You could spend a few turns buffing, then more turns stress healing.

Or use an actual good character and kill things faster and in fewer turns.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

centaurtainment posted:

Why do people on here hate the Jester so much?

For my part, excepting the in-combat stress heal - which makes him pretty much necessary in a veteran party if you have more than one abomination - unless the dice decide to conspire against you, he doesn't do any particular thing others do significantly better.

Accuracy/speed buffs? Check out the MAA's Bolster, or Occultist's Dark Ritual/Communion camp skill (I forget it's exact name).

Strong enemy rank 1 damage/long-term debuffs if the victim survives? Hellion's Bleed Out doesn't reshuffle your party, and it's negatives can be mostly countered by Adrenaline Rush.

Two odd-position and single- and mixed-target bleed attacks? In my experience, Highwaymen bleed single targets better, and Houndmasters deal better with mass bleeds thanks to Hound's Harry.

Solo/Finale combo? ...I'll grant the self-speed buff is nice and uniqueSomehow I forgot about the Arbalest's Blindfire, but that's not necessarily reliable; otherwise, literally why. Look, if you're that desperate for that enemy-group wide speed debuff before executing a single target, use an MAA's Bellow to screw/stun the enemy before you drop a Hellion's/Crusader's/Leper's kill skills on their heads while they're off-balance.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Also a perfectly acceptable opinion. :zombie::hf::black101:

Serpentis fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 23, 2016

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

leper bad so what?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Had to abandon another champion dungeon because my whole party was in single-digit health.
One of the Maguffins was in the furthest possible point so I had like 3 fights left, there's no way everyone makes it out in the end. It wouldn't have been so bad if I just hadn't been ambushed after my camp.

It's really frustrating trying to do these dungeons without suitably high upgrades unlocked, but I'm pretty sure I would be bored if I just did an indefinite low-level money and heirlooms grind so that my high level guys had all of the advantages. I'm trying to at least have most things upgraded to level 4, but it's still quite rough.

Also, the way I'm playing means that my main party members are too high-leveled for all of the non-DD bosses currently available. They really compressed the XP curve at the higher end.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I am getting some new recruits up to speed while my Level 5s and 6s recuperate and I ended up running a fun, goofy little party:

Man-at-Arms, Vestal, Houndmaster, Houndmaster.

MaA has the Position 4 shield just just buffs and guards all drat day.
Vestal has her heals, judgment for back ranks, and stun (though I'm using a heal boost trinket that reduces stun chance).
2nd Position HM uses targeted bites or hound harry.
1st HM uses Stun Baton with a +Stun Trinket, often able to chain stun people even with the post stun buff.

After the first round, everyone is faster than the bad guys, and it's just a stun and targeted bite massacre, with heals out the rear end. It's obviously not an optimal build (the HMs are a little squishy in front rank) but it's kinda fun. Try it today!

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Anal Surgery posted:

I am getting some new recruits up to speed while my Level 5s and 6s recuperate and I ended up running a fun, goofy little party:

Man-at-Arms, Vestal, Houndmaster, Houndmaster.

MaA has the Position 4 shield just just buffs and guards all drat day.
Vestal has her heals, judgment for back ranks, and stun (though I'm using a heal boost trinket that reduces stun chance).
2nd Position HM uses targeted bites or hound harry.
1st HM uses Stun Baton with a +Stun Trinket, often able to chain stun people even with the post stun buff.

After the first round, everyone is faster than the bad guys, and it's just a stun and targeted bite massacre, with heals out the rear end. It's obviously not an optimal build (the HMs are a little squishy in front rank) but it's kinda fun. Try it today!
Sounds like a good time. Earlier today I got the MAA shield for position 4 protection and it seems like a fun tryout for guarding and tough ringing all day. I have an MAA with Tough locked in (+10% HP) so all I need is to lock in Hard Skinned if he rolls it for the finest bodyguard ever.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Boy howdy, Vestal / Plague Doctor / Crusader / Crusader is pretty loving unfair against the Necromancer, and in the Ruins in general :v:

Olive Branch posted:

Sounds like a good time. Earlier today I got the MAA shield for position 4 protection and it seems like a fun tryout for guarding and tough ringing all day. I have an MAA with Tough locked in (+10% HP) so all I need is to lock in Hard Skinned if he rolls it for the finest bodyguard ever.
I got that trinket today too. I wasn't really hot on it, but I didn't try it, and now I kind of want to, knowing just how much he can actually do from back there.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
im at a really annoying point where im like 420 deeds short of upgrading my guys to be able to do level 3 dungeons but half the time the weald is level 3 and im running out of guys to do level 1s. do i just throwaway four of them and keep doing dark runs in the weald for max deeds or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I tried running position 4 MaA and was severely underwhelmed with it. It was fine up until level 5 dungeons, but then the fact that I had a guy who could literally do nothing but buff and defend held me back too much. That was back when you could have him shield your entire team over multiple turns as well, as opposed to only a single guy.

Verviticus posted:

im at a really annoying point where im like 420 deeds short of upgrading my guys to be able to do level 3 dungeons but half the time the weald is level 3 and im running out of guys to do level 1s. do i just throwaway four of them and keep doing dark runs in the weald for max deeds or what?

You do level 3 dungeons with your level 3 guys, even if they don't have fully upgraded gear. Its harder but not impossible.