Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't even start the two shows I got told to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

First of all, thank you for not recommending School Rumble. I only put it there because it was on someone's top-10 list on Youtube and I didn't have any ideas.

Code Geass: (I'm on Episode 6, so I've watched my required 5 episodes, but I still don't know about a lot of stuff -- like who the girl that gave Lelouch his power actually is or wants)

First off, Geass is actually Geis, right? So, Terry Pratchett lampooned the word "geis" in one of his Tiffany Aching books. After reading how Rob Anybody, of the Wee Free Men pronounced it, I always thought it was "geese" but apparently, "geis" is pronounced "geish" or "gesh" (if you say it fast). I'm "geshing" (couldn't help myself), this is another Japanism of a non-Japanese word. Like "Gosick" = Gothic, etc. Right?

Second, Lelouch reminds me of Light Yagami. Well, I went to Wikipedia, my single source for all things authoritative, and apparently I'm not alone in this comparison.

Third, thumb drives. Rule the world and start your mecha.

Fourth, America is renamed Brittania, and is evil. Also, pure blooded Brittanians. Really? I can't imagine anyone from the current North American continent being "pure blooded" anything -- other than perhaps Native Americans. Well, of course, there are subgroups. I have a good Italian friend who dated Irish girls but would never marry other than Sicilian (and yes, he did). But still, "pure blooded" what? I wonder. (The answer is obviously, Brittanian.)

Japan is renamed Area 11 and Japanese dehumanized.

Suzaku, a Japanese man and honorary Brittanian, is about the only decent person around.

Okay, I'll go with it though. We have a scenario. Our homeland, Japan, has been ravaged by an evil force. Generally speaking, the foreigners are all complete assholes and we, the repressed Japanese, are on the ropes. One shining light in the dark is the son of the previous prime minister.

While the foreigners are mostly awful, the royal family pretty-much takes the cake for horribleness. The emperor appears to be a "survival of the fittest" type of guy and has thrown at least one child out into the ravages of the world in a do or die situation. Said child now seeks the utter destruction of his own country and will use any means to accomplish his task.

I still need to find out how the girl that gave Lelouch survived the gunshot wound. Also, what the hell does she want? She never says (yet).

Also, Pizza Hut!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Dan7el posted:

First of all, thank you for not recommending School Rumble. I only put it there because it was on someone's top-10 list on Youtube and I didn't have any ideas.

Code Geass: (I'm on Episode 6, so I've watched my required 5 episodes, but I still don't know about a lot of stuff -- like who the girl that gave Lelouch his power actually is or wants)

First off, Geass is actually Geis, right? So, Terry Pratchett lampooned the word "geis" in one of his Tiffany Aching books. After reading how Rob Anybody, of the Wee Free Men pronounced it, I always thought it was "geese" but apparently, "geis" is pronounced "geish" or "gesh" (if you say it fast). I'm "geshing" (couldn't help myself), this is another Japanism of a non-Japanese word. Like "Gosick" = Gothic, etc. Right?

Second, Lelouch reminds me of Light Yagami. Well, I went to Wikipedia, my single source for all things authoritative, and apparently I'm not alone in this comparison.

Fourth, America is renamed Brittania, and is evil. Also, pure blooded Brittanians. Really? I can't imagine anyone from the current North American continent being "pure blooded" anything -- other than perhaps Native Americans. Well, of course, there are subgroups. I have a good Italian friend who dated Irish girls but would never marry other than Sicilian (and yes, he did). But still, "pure blooded" what? I wonder. (The answer is obviously, Brittanian.)

Suzaku, a Japanese man and honorary Brittanian, is about the only decent person around.

Okay, I'll go with it though. We have a scenario. Our homeland, Japan, has been ravaged by an evil force. Generally speaking, the foreigners are all complete assholes and we, the repressed Japanese, are on the ropes. One shining light in the dark is the son of the previous prime minister.

While the foreigners are mostly awful, the royal family pretty-much takes the cake for horribleness. The emperor appears to be a "survival of the fittest" type of guy and has thrown at least one child out into the ravages of the world in a do or die situation. Said child now seeks the utter destruction of his own country and will use any means to accomplish his task.

I still need to find out how the girl that gave Lelouch survived the gunshot wound. Also, what the hell does she want? She never says (yet).

Also, Pizza Hut!

Code Geass is great fun.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kaiba Trip Report

Episode 4 So, in this weeks episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog Kaiba, we have Courage Kaiba running away from Eustace Vanilla, only to get caught up in a plot by the greedy villains of the week, and has to rescue Muriel Propeller Girl (and Eustace Vanilla) because "The things I do for Love". There is a heartwarming moment, Courage Kaiba saves the day, and the villain get karmic punishment (their ignorance leads to them dying in the engine of the ship).

But seriously, this was fine as a once-off story, but unlike the previous episodes, this one was ostensibly a filler. We do get to see Kaiba talk inside of the Woman's dream, which seems like a plot element that might come back, and the themes that the episode was trying to convey seems to be more important to the overarching story of Kaiba than the actual plot. Noticeably, it talks about how everybody has a role, a place, and an impact, and those seeking "foreign, far-away, or just plain exotic" place or thing died or caused misery (Grandpa died getting flower, making Grandma sad; Parents abandoned children to go to space, hurting both of them and their parents; and Kids try to leave planet, resulting in them dying and nobody left to watch the lighthouse). I actually do wonder if this is setting up a theme, that maybe it isn't a good idea for Kaiba to keep on searching into the unknown?

Also, I feel like literally everybody suffered from plot stupidity in the first 10 minutes, since apparently Vanilla didn't recognize the hippo, though it still had a hole shot out of it; Propeller girl got captured despite being agile; and Kaiba didn't really do anything productive.

Episode 5 So this was an interesting episode. Like the previous episodes, I had to watch this one twice for it to make a little bit more sense. I'm still a little bit confused by the lapse of time in this episode, and I still don't understand why Kaiba took out the hippo suit in the first place, or even where Propeller Girl (Now called Hyu-Hyu) went off to. Also, why did the baby have Kaiba stop by Patch and Quilt's place first, before taking him (or would that be her?) to the food processing plant? Was I missing something here?

So, the first thing I noticed is that the animation style is different in this episode. Obviously, the new bodies are purposely designed to be garish and cheap, but the animation has a noticeable effect on the appearance of Kaiba and Vanilla as well, looking quite off-model. Also quite important is the title of the episode, calling the planet a "Utopia". This makes a little bit more sense when you realize that the world is a PG version of Soylent Green, where people move on from one body to the next, leaving the old bodies to be broken down into food for the public to consume. This gives off a circle of life message, though.

Patch and Quilt are a bit interesting as characters, mainly in how Patch is opposed to the way things are now, but he goes along with it. The motivations are a little bit unclear, but you still can understand enough about the woman whose mind got put (or copied?) into Patch to gain a sense of sympathy for her and the dog. Also, apparently people's virtual minds can get filled with so much information that they can't store anymore, since this is what happened to Patch.

Also, I didn't even realize those yellow blobs were supposed to be Gold until the end of the episode. Seems stupidly irresponsible of Baby to drop them all in from of the house.

The moments with Vanilla were pretty sweet, and shows that he really does love Chroniko. Also, that baby was a straight up G.

This episode feels like it might be more important down the line, or it could just be an episodic romp through an alien world. Hard to tell. The ending served remind us that Kaiba was given the name "Warp" at the end of the first episode, and that this is the same name as the King of the planet where all of the memory tanks being held exploded

Anything else I'm missing about episode 5?

Julias fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dan7el posted:

Also, Pizza Hut!

It doesn't really go into the backstory at all in the anime (you've gotta read supplemental products for that), but the deal with Britannia is that the American Revolution failed, along with a bunch of other minor historical changes. Napoleon kicked the British nobility out of the isles, and the capital got re-established where Arizona is or something.

Glad that you seem to be enjoying it, though. Pizza Hut!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Barakamon eps 10-12 - Well, I finished it. What a wonderful, sweet, happy show. Probably in my top 15 all time. I do still think a couple of the characters were needlessly quirky (also why do we only get to see Handa's parents right at the end?? come on yall), but that's the only complaint I have.

Other shows:

Snow White w/ the Red Hair (full series) - Probably one of the better shojo shows I've seen. Unlike, well, a lot of shojo, it seems to actually recognize and respect boundaries and independence?? I dunno if I would call it feminist but it does focus primarily on the main character trying to make her way on their own strength. Also.. at one point (character) kisses (character) but then immediately apologizes for doing it without consent, which, well it's something I don't often see and can appreciate. The fantasy/Disney-esque trappings I think really worked in this show's favor, separating it from the one billion high school student shoujos, and the political conflicts kept it from being just pure slice of life. Not sure if this is based on manga, they try to tie it off quickly in a filler episode, I would assume it wouldn't just neatly tie off that way if they had another 12 episodes, especially with the by-the-book older brother prince character. Maybe there will be more next year, who knows.

Rokka (#3-4) - Alright now we're getting somewhere. Now everyone's together and the mystery can begin. Hindsight may be 20-20 for this animation team, but they probably should have just compressed these first 4 episodes into 2. It's such a slow drowsy beginning to get everyone to the point where they can flip the script. I think it would have been better if they merged #2 and #3 into one episode.

Now I'll go into the recommendation thread or maybe just the anime chat thread I dunno. Added more series to my queue: Black Lagoon, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Moribito, Gargantia on the Vertuous Planet, Tiger & Bunny, Galaxy Angel, Eden of the East, Psycho Pass, FMP Fumoffu. Some of these are pretty different fare from what I normally watch. I'm just gonna give em all a try

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Oct 28, 2015

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
The Nisemonogatari toothbrush scene. That's a thing I watched now. Thanks thread.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

NOTinuyasha posted:

The Nisemonogatari toothbrush scene. That's a thing I watched now. Thanks thread.

Glad to be of assistance.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NOTinuyasha posted:

You're welcome.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Baccano update. Isaac and Miria are still great.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

hello i finally watched my mandated five episodes of szs

its good and im going to continue watching it. watching this after watching monogatari is a little disappointing though just because while it is experimental and there are a lot of shinbos directorial hallmarks that i love the information overload doesnt feel as intense. and it doesnt feel as cohesive or fully realized as monogatari (or madoka to use another shinbo show as a point of comparison) but its primarily a gag show and im only 5 episodes in so w/e. anyway sometimes i feel lost but generally just go with the flow and enjoy it because the animation is cool even if i dont understand whats going on or if the jokes fly over my head.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Radio Spiricom posted:

hello i finally watched my mandated five episodes of szs

its good and im going to continue watching it. watching this after watching monogatari is a little disappointing though just because while it is experimental and there are a lot of shinbos directorial hallmarks that i love the information overload doesnt feel as intense. and it doesnt feel as cohesive or fully realized as monogatari (or madoka to use another shinbo show as a point of comparison) but its primarily a gag show and im only 5 episodes in so w/e. anyway sometimes i feel lost but generally just go with the flow and enjoy it because the animation is cool even if i dont understand whats going on or if the jokes fly over my head.

Never watched the anime, but I read the Manga. A lot of the jokes that you aren't getting are probably because there are a metric ton of references to books, comics, tv dramas, politicians, etc. Most chapters focus on a single subject, sometimes something very japanese, such as the habit of gift giving, or just something obtuse.

Julias fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 29, 2015

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I finally got around to watching my assigned Mushishi and it's amazing. I ended up watching the first seven episodes in one sitting and would have continued if I had the time. It's relaxing, trippy, philosophical, and slightly creepy all at the same time, which strikes me as a very impressive feat. The sound directing and musical score are especially good. I'm not going to post another list until I watch every episode of Mushishi because drat I love it.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh, you gotta watch Code Geass. Make sure you watch it subbed, because as great as JYB is in the dub it just doesn't compare to the sheer overload of ham by the japanese VAs. Norio Wakamoto :swoon:

My list:

LOGH
Kill la Kill
Cowboy Bebop
Nanoha
Monogatari

If I've read the thread correctly then this post never got a proper response, so I'm ordering you to watch LOGH. But the five episode rule works a bit weird with it since there's a prologue movie and episodes 1 & 2 are replaced by another movie, so watch two movies I guess?

For me:

K-On!
Patlabor
Sound! Euphonium
Durarara!!
Maria the Virgin Witch

Technically I've seen one or two episodes each from the last two so if they don't count I can alter the list.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

VostokProgram posted:

If I've read the thread correctly then this post never got a proper response, so I'm ordering you to watch LOGH. But the five episode rule works a bit weird with it since there's a prologue movie and episodes 1 & 2 are replaced by another movie, so watch two movies I guess?

For me:

K-On!
Patlabor
Sound! Euphonium
Durarara!!
Maria the Virgin Witch

Technically I've seen one or two episodes each from the last two so if they don't count I can alter the list.

Here's my new list:

Sound Euphonium
Nana
Big O
Otona Joshi no Anime Time
Idol Defense Force Hummingbird

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I watched the first ova of yokohama kaidashi kikou and it was really good. It's a very surreal slice of life with some neat animation, a charming main character, and great directing.

Also, the setting is really cool and greatly contributes to the surreal atmosphere

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Linnaeus posted:

I watched the first ova of yokohama kaidashi kikou and it was really good. It's a very surreal slice of life with some neat animation, a charming main character, and great directing.

Also, the setting is really cool and greatly contributes to the surreal atmosphere

read it
read it

READ IT!

The ova are decent, but it's a masterpiece manga.

A Doomed Purloiner
Jan 4, 2006

Lol, books. Nerd.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm resurrecting this thread because it's a useful thread.

Gonna just post my list since it's been so long since Doomed Purloiner's last post:
  • Symphogear G
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Gunbuster
  • Real Drive
  • Yamato 2199
Hopefully, the next poster can successfully follow the rules. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 23, 2016

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm resurrecting this thread because it's a useful thread.

Gonna just post my list since it's been so long since Doomed Purloiner's last post:
  • Symphogear G
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Gunbuster
  • Real Drive
  • Yamato 2199
Hopefully, the next poster can successfully follow the rules. :v:

Yeah, I could use someone else making my decisions for me. You should watch Gunbuster, it's real good.

My list:
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Snow White with the Red Hair
  • Giant Robo
  • Kyousogiga
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks, Cantaloupe. :shittydog:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Yeah, I could use someone else making my decisions for me. You should watch Gunbuster, it's real good.

My list:
  • Yona of the Dawn
  • Snow White with the Red Hair
  • Giant Robo
  • Kyousogiga
  • Idolmaster Cinderella Girls

Well I completely forgot about this thread.

Everyone seems to freak out over Giant Robo so go with that I guess.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero (Apparently I'm exempt or something)
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AnoHito posted:

Well I completely forgot about this thread.

1. Toradora!
2. Fate/Zero (Apparently I'm exempt or something)
3. And The Town Still Moves
4. Golgo 13
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Shirobako

I was about to revive this thread this weekend once I finished Kaiba. Still, guess I can take on a second anime now.

Watch GTO or GTFO.

Pick one for me!

1. Zegapain
2. Kyousougiga
3. Katanagatari
4. Hibike! Euphonium
5. Punchline

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

AnoHito posted:

Aye, Cap'n.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never got around to watching any of my shows

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Julias posted:

I was about to revive this thread this weekend once I finished Kaiba. Still, guess I can take on a second anime now.

Watch GTO or GTFO.

Pick one for me!

1. Zegapain
2. Kyousougiga
3. Katanagatari
4. Hibike! Euphonium
5. Punchline

You've got a strong lineup, but I'm going to have to go with Zegapain. Takes a couple of episodes, because mysteries, so stick with it. And don't spoil any of the plot for anybody.

And here's my list.
1. Dominion Tank Police
2. Saraiya Goyou
3. Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi
4. The Skull Man
5. Last Exile

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, the first Gunbuster ED is super cute:

http://a.pomf.cat/vsesex.webm

:3:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Reds posted:

You've got a strong lineup, but I'm going to have to go with Zegapain. Takes a couple of episodes, because mysteries, so stick with it. And don't spoil any of the plot for anybody.

Thanks! Besides Gunbuster, I haven't seen an old-fashioned Anime in quite some time! Hopefully I can find it easily...

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Julias posted:

Thanks! Besides Gunbuster, I haven't seen an old-fashioned Anime in quite some time! Hopefully I can find it easily...

Zegapain was made in 2006, I don't think I'd call that old-fashioned. It has CG mecha that look decent considering CG mecha's usual standards. The action is not the strong point, I'll warn you.

Reds fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 23, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gunbuster trip report: it was good! I mean, that won't come as a big surprise to basically anyone. I went into it with some trepidation since I really don't like Evangelion, and thus Anno, but it turned out to be largely free of the stuff I hated in Eva. Of course, it goes without saying that it's stupidly gorgeous, since it's a big-budget late 80s OVA.

I'm not a super robot fan in general, so I was pleasantly surprised that it's actually mostly real robot, with mass-produced mecha being the focus for 90% of the show, and all the tech lovingly animated and mostly explained away. I liked their take on the bug aliens and the way they handled near-c travel. The decision to not animate the battle in episode 6 was kind of weird, but I'm guessing they didn't have the budget and would rather spend it animating the scenes with characters in them.

Wish Gainax spent less time lovingly animating 16-year-old titties, though (and those uniforms were ridiculous). :v:

I laughed at them sneaking the Yamato into one of the shots of the fleet going to warp in episode 4.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Reds posted:

And here's my list.
1. Dominion Tank Police
2. Saraiya Goyou
3. Yokoyama Mitsuteru Sangokushi
4. The Skull Man
5. Last Exile

The only one on that list I've seen is Last Exile, which is weird but pretty, so I'm going to say go ahead and watch that. It's got a very neat setting.

New list:
  • Armitage III
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Gunsmith Cats
  • rewatch Patlabor: The Early Days
Apparently, I don't have issues finishing OVAs so I'm keeping it to stuff that's 4 hours or less.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The only one on that list I've seen is Last Exile, which is weird but pretty, so I'm going to say go ahead and watch that. It's got a very neat setting.

New list:
  • Armitage III
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Gunsmith Cats
Apparently, I don't have issues finishing OVAs so I'm keeping it to stuff that's 4 hours or less.

I haven't seen any of those so I'm gonna say Gunsmith Cats because it has the best name.

Here is a list of things that I should have watched by now but haven't:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Ghost in the Shell (both the movie and SAC)
3. Patlabor (OVAs and movies)
4. Bakemonogatari
5. Gunbuster

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
As of episode 3/7, Giant Robo is good and fun, but I'm not seeing what makes it a favorite of so many. The characters are interesting visually, the fights are well-choreographed, and I love the weird Chinese technology, but well... nothing aside from the visuals particularly impresses, yet. I'm going to keep going, though, and likely finish tonight.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

As of episode 3/7, Giant Robo is good and fun, but I'm not seeing what makes it a favorite of so many. The characters are interesting visually, the fights are well-choreographed, and I love the weird Chinese technology, but well... nothing aside from the visuals particularly impresses, yet. I'm going to keep going, though, and likely finish tonight.

The plot gets significantly more interesting the further the series goes on.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still: COMPLETE

I liked the back half more than the front, overall. The first half of the sixth episode in particular was really cool. Really, any scene with the Magnificent Ten was great. Sadly, none of the cool behind-the-scenes Big Fire stuff went anywhere (I'm aware that they had plans to make more that fell through). Lots of stuff seemed to happen because the plot demanded it be so, with no other explanation for characters' actions given, which always kind of irks me. Sure, the samples had to come together for the finale to work right, but in-show all the good guys had every reason to smash theirs, especially after they were done researching it, and yet no-one saw any issue with sending it towards the enemy with their front-line soldiers. Sure, Gin-Rei was pretty much doomed the moment the consequences of her powers were revealed, but I'm really not clear on why she felt the need to teleport everyone, friend and foe alike, to wherever, nor why she then had to give the sample to her brother. The writing seemed focused on theme and tone to the neglect of everything else.

But! It looked great the whole way through. The action scenes were consistently beautiful, and everyone's powers were fun and imaginative. I liked the character designs, too, garish wardrobes and all. I love the old-school (well, given that this is already ~20 years old, double old-school) aesthetic. I see why this is a liked show! But still,

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I'm not seeing what makes it a favorite of so many.

Glad I finally watched it. I'm not going to continue the chain just yet; instead I'm going to wait until I again feel like watching a bunch of anime in a row, and then present options that I feel inclined to watch at that time.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Stanfield posted:

I haven't seen any of those so I'm gonna say Gunsmith Cats because it has the best name.

Here is a list of things that I should have watched by now but haven't:

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Ghost in the Shell (both the movie and SAC)
3. Patlabor (OVAs and movies)
4. Bakemonogatari
5. Gunbuster

Bakemonogatari is one of the three things on that list I've seen, it's also very different to most other things.

My own list of things "everyone" has seen:

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Baccano
4. whichever of Gunbuster and Diebuster comes first
5. Record of Lodoss War

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kaiba Trip Report:

Episode 6: Lot's of things going on here. We meet Gel, which is implied to be the girl on Warp/Kaiba's Necklace. We are also told that Warp is the name of the king again, and the enemy of the terrorists. Kaiba comes up for the first time, as the name of a "legendary" plant that eats memories. Notably, it is unaffected my the freeze ray/memory viewer. We also are namedropped Issoudan, which I guess is the terrorist organization, or their leader?

We also get to meet a superior to Vanilla, a creepy, smiling yellow thing, surrounded by an army of monkey-devil dogs. It was really weird. It also sets up that things are going bad for Vanilla, which leaves one wondering what is going to happen to him. I don't get the memory transfer thing, unless it's like some sort of Big Brother type policing of memories, though.

There are a lot of things to contemplate regarding this episode, but it's probably best to continue onward and see what gets answered.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Kaiba Trip Report

Episode 7:This episode was really enjoyable, though I didn't really follow what was going on with the memories of the moon coming to life. And hey! An aquatic based planet that doesn't suck! Well, the girl's name is Neiro. Her memories are something fierce, with all of the censorship going on. We see that Warp, the King (?) has been killing lots of people, and he also killed her. We've got the name Dada now, as well, probably the leader of Issoudan.Vanilla makes his last stand here, and I'm happy that he found some sort of solace before death, even if he wasn't able to get a body for him mom. Also, :rip: Chroniko.I feel like there's much more to say about this episode, but nothing's really coming to mind right now. There will probably be more to notice on a rewatch of the series.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Gunsmith Cats trip report: :yeah:

I saw this OVA when I was a kid and then read the manga, and I'm a big fan of the characters. I reread the manga in October and christ, it's skeevy as gently caress, so I'm really glad that the OVA is a completely separate arc and features no mind-raping lesbian mob bosses or child prostitution. Minnie May's age is never actually brought up, nor is the age gap between her and Ken ever elaborated on, so if you mentally block out the manga's backstories you can pretend that she's just in her early 20s and make the whole thing less horrifying. Really makes me wish there'd been a full 2-4 cours anime-original show with all the bad bits excised. :(

Anyway, the OVA is just as good as I remember it, so I definitely recommend watching it. It also has what is still probably my favourite OP of all time:
https://a.pomf.cat/bygzqj.webm

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dzhay posted:

Bakemonogatari is one of the three things on that list I've seen, it's also very different to most other things.

My own list of things "everyone" has seen:

1. Legend of the Galactic Heroes
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Baccano
4. whichever of Gunbuster and Diebuster comes first
5. Record of Lodoss War

You picked the worst show on Stanfield's list, so to punish you, go watch Legend of Galactic Heroes, a show that a ton of people love, but is extremely slow-paced and has a million episodes. I couldn't make it past the second or so before I gave up (not because it was bad, but because I didn't feel like I had the level of energy required to invest in it).

New list:
  • Armitage III
  • Cyber City Oedo 808
  • Dominion Tank Police
  • Bubblegum Crisis
Still in an 80s OVA mood.

• Locked thread