Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

this performance was I think my very first exposure to David Bowie, I was 13 years old. at the time I didn't really get it (and I'm still not a big fan of the Tin Machine stuff) - I'd heard of Bowie and knew he was supposed to be some big deal and then I saw him do this on SNL so I thought he was boring. So I didn't really start to appreciate him until 1.Outside came out a few years later, which completely blew me away.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grabbed The Next Day on vinyl today. Almost got some weird import that had a bunch of poo poo like The Laughing Gnome on it just for novelties sake, but they wanted $20 for it.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

BigFactory posted:

So the early European leg of the 95 tour was pretty rad with lots of Lodger and Scary Monsters songs, but by the time it got to the States with NIN it's half songs from Outside in a short split bill. Which is a great concert if you include both bills, but not the best Bowie concert.

Vs. Heathen tour where you had about 7 songs from that album, 2 of which are pretty interesting covers, and a much longer setlist in general, with room to throw in more hits, but it also had 3 songs from Low and other good covers. If you go through and look deeper, that second leg of the tour when he was playing summer sheds back in the states was lovely. The first leg and the European run was amazing, though. Look at this show from the Hammersmith Apollo:

I like Heathen and Outside for different reasons, but they're both good. If Outside was your favorite Bowie album, I guess I can see liking the 95/96 tour better, because it's the only one that showcased that material. I've got a tape of the boston show from the Heathen tour, if I can dig it up maybe I'll upload it somewhere.

Really, it's just a matter that I think Outside Tour had the best backing band, you needed Carlos there to keep the Reever in check --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAblQAS1nuQ

On the Heathen tour, the band is just kind of there, I dunno, I don't want to say it's bad necessarily

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
The Reality tour had an impressive band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Really, it's just a matter that I think Outside Tour had the best backing band, you needed Carlos there to keep the Reever in check --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAblQAS1nuQ

On the Heathen tour, the band is just kind of there, I dunno, I don't want to say it's bad necessarily

It was a good band. Gail and Garson, Sterling Cambell's as solid a drummer as you can find, and Earl Slick's great. Definitely doesn't have the guitar firepower the Outside tour band had, though.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

Get an original RCA pressing; they used better tapes

I did check out what was available on eBay but secondhand prices are understandably high right now. Are the RCA pressings really that superior that it's worth risking buying a secondhand copy somewhere? I know my local record shops are near enough sold out of Bowie so I'm not expecting to be able to actually see a copy before I buy it any time soon.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

I did check out what was available on eBay but secondhand prices are understandably high right now. Are the RCA pressings really that superior that it's worth risking buying a secondhand copy somewhere? I know my local record shops are near enough sold out of Bowie so I'm not expecting to be able to actually see a copy before I buy it any time soon.

I think I had, like, some bargain bin RCA pressing that I got for a dollar, and it still sounded better than any of the CD's. Ask the people on Stevehoffman.tv or wherever and they would probably tell you to find some super-rare UK pressing with the loud mix of "Starman," but they all sound surprisingly good.

I can vouch for this one, RCA AYL1-3843: http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Rise-And-Fall-Of-Ziggy-Stardust-And-The-Spiders-From-Mars/release/1139519

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 20, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mermaid Autopsy posted:

I think I had, like, some bargain bin RCA pressing that I got for a dollar, and it still sounded better than any of the CD's. Ask the people on Stevehoffman.tv or wherever and they would probably tell you to find some super-rare UK pressing with the loud mix of "Starman," but they all sound surprisingly good.

I can vouch for this one, RCA AYL1-3843: http://www.discogs.com/David-Bowie-The-Rise-And-Fall-Of-Ziggy-Stardust-And-The-Spiders-From-Mars/release/1139519

I have the '77 RCA Ziggy and it sounds good.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Have I missed something, or has there been any discussion about the meaning of the star fragments at the bottom of the Blackstar cover?

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
I think it's his first and last name written in stars.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

I thought it looked like just his last name in vague star-letters.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think it's just supposed to be Bowie in star parts.

Going back through his discography I remember how Station to Station was my first Bowie album and then the Berlin Trilogy because I was on a big Radiohead and post-punk kick and being pretty underwhelmed when I first heard the glam era stuff. It's crazy that he was able to jump genres to the point where you can like totally different Bowies

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

This is a very good album.

I'm an idiot and only know bowie's big hits. Anyone wanna recommend 3-5 essential records of his?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Puppy Galaxy posted:

This is a very good album.

I'm an idiot and only know bowie's big hits. Anyone wanna recommend 3-5 essential records of his?
If you're looking for that few, check out the Berlin trilogy - Low, Heroes and Lodger.

Also The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Low, Scary Monsters, Outside...

It's really hard to pick only 5. I love 90% of his albums.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

ziggy stardust, scary monsters, station to station, low, and either hunky dory or alladin sane imo

I watched a video of one of the glass spider shows today. I thought it was pretty awesome.

I still kinda like never let me down, but I LOVE scary monsters. up the hill backwards is such a good song.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Puppy Galaxy posted:

The Man Who Sold The World
Diamond Dogs
Station To Station
Lodger
Scary Monsters And Super Creeps

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

obviously taste is subjective and all that but if you don't consider Low one of the essential albums there's something wrong

Lodger is a good record but the least significant of the "trilogy" in terms of Bowie's composing and in terms of general impact on music in subsequent decades

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I like Lodger better than Heroes.

My dad liked Bowie in his youth, but I left Low in his car once and he complained that it was "weird".

Leon Einstein fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 21, 2016

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:
Well, this would have been interesting...

http://gu.com/p/4g2gj?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
I keep finding great tracks that I haven't paid attention to before :
https://youtu.be/EhpbEU_jgzw

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

obviously taste is subjective and all that but if you don't consider Low one of the essential albums there's something wrong

Lodger is a good record but the least significant of the "trilogy" in terms of Bowie's composing and in terms of general impact on music in subsequent decades

Low's one of the best rock records ever made. Lodger is still pretty rad, though.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The more I watch Lazarus, the sadder it gets. The woman from Blackstar who appears before the cult and accepts the jeweled skull emerging from the wardrobe is obviously Death, coming to claim him. But he's not ready yet, and gets up to write one last album. But she's always there, waiting. His legacy is the jeweled skull, now sitting on his desk. He eventually succumbs and retreats into the wardrobe, accepting death. It's brilliant. Utterly depressing, but brilliant. At least, that's my interpretation of it.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

The more I watch Lazarus, the sadder it gets. The woman from Blackstar who appears before the cult and accepts the jeweled skull emerging from the wardrobe is obviously Death, coming to claim him. But he's not ready yet, and gets up to write one last album. But she's always there, waiting. His legacy is the jeweled skull, now sitting on his desk. He eventually succumbs and retreats into the wardrobe, accepting death. It's brilliant. Utterly depressing, but brilliant. At least, that's my interpretation of it.

That's my interpretation too but I don't see it as depressing, nor do I really see Bowie's death as depressing. Death is something that has to happen at some point, and the fact that he was able to live long enough to have this incredible career and have an enormous impact on the arts, and then to die just after releasing one of his best works in decades, shortly after a period of reflection back on his career, and turning that process of death, consciously, into art as well.. IMO that's about as close to an ideal scenario one can get.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
All of the songs on Side A of Low end right as they're getting interesting.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
I think it's pretty telling that the director of the videos shared a crucial interest with Bowie: Aleister Crowley.

Now I know the ISIS he was talking about (to great saxophonist, but apparent doofus, Donny McCaslin) was the Egyptian goddess Isis (linked with funerary rites, motherhood, protection, and magic), not the other stupid ISIS.

Absolutely love that the harmonica line from "A New Career in a New Town" is in "I Can't Give Everything Away".

Well, it's Friday guys. Popo blind to the polly in the hole.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Earwicker posted:

That's my interpretation too but I don't see it as depressing, nor do I really see Bowie's death as depressing. Death is something that has to happen at some point, and the fact that he was able to live long enough to have this incredible career and have an enormous impact on the arts, and then to die just after releasing one of his best works in decades, shortly after a period of reflection back on his career, and turning that process of death, consciously, into art as well.. IMO that's about as close to an ideal scenario one can get.

I haven't reached the acceptance stage yet :smith:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Henchman of Santa posted:

All of the songs on Side A of Low end right as they're getting interesting.

Well, the extended versions of those songs on Stage (Speed of Life, What In the World) reveal that this really isn't true, but I kinda get the sentiment. Low does feel like a weirdly "incomplete" album, though I think that makes side B a lot stronger than it would be if it followed a more "traditional" side A.

I recently did a list of my ten favorite Bowie albums for the http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com poll, and I put Low at #2 (though it wasn't a ranked poll beyond your #1 pick), but in retrospect I don't think I would have put it so highly. I feel like Low and Heroes cohere into a single mind-blowing double album in my head (they were released in the same year, after all), and that Low on its own isn't as perfect as people often make it out to be. Like, side A of Heroes is way stronger than side A of Low on a song-by-song basis.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Totally disagree. I love Heroes but imo nothing on it is as good as Speed of Life, Sound and Vision, or A New Career in a New Town

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Earwicker posted:

Totally disagree. I love Heroes but imo nothing on it is as good as Speed of Life, Sound and Vision, or A New Career in a New Town

Yeah, I'm with you.

And I actually don't think the first side of Heroes is nearly as cool as side two. Heroes is fine, Joe the Lion is pretty good, and Blackout is a great song, but Beauty and the Beast and Sons of the Silent Age aren't two songs that I'd mention with Bowie's best, where almost all the cuts on side one of Low would make my list.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I love Sons of the Silent Age. The chorus is great. Heroes doesn't grab me the same way Low does though.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrtXFTw2ico

David Bowie answers your question "what if Lou Reed/Iggy Pop/Bob Dylan/Bruce Springsteen sang Absolute Beginners?"

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 22, 2016

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

HerzogZwo posted:

I think it's pretty telling that the director of the videos shared a crucial interest with Bowie: Aleister Crowley.

Now I know the ISIS he was talking about (to great saxophonist, but apparent doofus, Donny McCaslin) was the Egyptian goddess Isis (linked with funerary rites, motherhood, protection, and magic), not the other stupid ISIS.

Picnic Princess posted:

"Yes. I remember Ramona. She set herself up as the no-future priestess of the Caucasian Suicide Temple, vomiting out her doctrine of death-as-eternal- party into the empty vessels of Berlin youth. The top floor rooms were the gateways to giving up to the holy ghost."

The Sarah lookalike = Baby Grace
The Priestess = Ramona A. Stone
Button Eyes = the Acolyte
The Trickster = the Minotaur
The Villa of Ormen with a solitary candle = the Laugh Hotel with a diamond friendly (Isis)

What a fantastic death abyss ...

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 22, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

FadingChord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrtXFTw2ico

David Bowie answers your question "what if Lou Reed/Iggy Pop/Bob Dylan/Bruce Springsteen sang Absolute Beginners?"

His Springsteen and Iggy Pop are pretty good! The Dylan and whoever number 3 is? tom waits? are not good.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

BigFactory posted:

His Springsteen and Iggy Pop are pretty good! The Dylan and whoever number 3 is? tom waits? are not good.

I really enjoyed that - the Lou Reed was great but he needed to narrowly miss a few more notes to make it believable.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Earwicker posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. What an incredible way to finish your legacy.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

M42 posted:

Yeah, I agree with this. What an incredible way to finish your legacy.

Completely. I mean it totally sucks when it happens, obviously, but you can do a lot worse than going out on a high note AND leave behind a legacy like he did.

Tonight's special is a bottle of wine and singing along to Strangers When We Meet, by the way. Hell of a song.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

BigFactory posted:

Holy poo poo that Tom Waits is really good. He keeps too good in sync with the beat but drat he really was a chameleon man. Also the Lou Reed.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Holy poo poo that Tom Waits is really good. He keeps too good in sync with the beat but drat he really was a chameleon man. Also the Lou Reed.

Paraphrasing here, but Bowie said he was not a chameleon because their whole thing is trying to fit into the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I'd give anything to know how they got those snare drums sounds on "Breaking Glass", I mean drat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgdCIAEupNI

• Locked thread