Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

VendaGoat posted:

Which is exactly how I broke my collar bone.

Should have held on tighter to your biker daddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Booblord Zagats posted:

Should have held on tighter to your biker daddy

:golfclap:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

It's not my best work but I felt someone needed to make the joke

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

GotLag posted:

Which clip was that? If you mean the one at 6:50, the dude survived.

Look closer. The second dude survived.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Triangle Shirtwaist? Never heard of it, is that a new fashion?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

Triangle Shirtwaist? Never heard of it, is that a new fashion?

Yeah it's really hot these days

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

Yeah it's really hot these days

:eyepop:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Fashion priced so low, it should be a crime.

eclipse232
Dec 4, 2001

8/24 NEVAR FORGET!

:wow:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Griz posted:

falling in a sitting position is a lot more painful than you'd expect, especially if you can't get your arms out quick enough to absorb some of your weight. I got knocked down like that in gym class, it hurt really bad for like a week and you can't do anything about it except take painkillers and sit on one of those donut pillows for people with butt problems.

Fell off a barstool in St Thomas. Can confirm, hemorrhoids suck.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

EssOEss posted:

Look closer. The second dude survived.

It's the same guy, whatever the camera is mounted to takes a hit and moves, making it look like a second guy. Note the object mounted to the wall that's visible right at the start and after the camera shifts.

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Oh yeah, you're right. Last time i watched that video it was from a couple angles and I was sure he was pancaked, but that second falling wall is just the camera moving. Cool, dude's alive!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FIRST TIME posted:

Fashion priced so low, it should be a crime.

It's a fire sale.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4iFJ-G74o

:stare:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0J6mayzQUY

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Points for being barefoot but he's a pussy for putting the beer down and having a friend help.
I pop tops all day with my McCulloch; beer in one hand chainsaw in the other.

Protip: move the beer to the chain, not the other way around.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

The little *pop* noise it makes when the top comes off is great.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
My friend was having some work done on his place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRGLfpFOQIg

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dread Head posted:

My friend was having some work done on his place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRGLfpFOQIg

Dogs on the TV, dogs in the dining room, it's all dogs in that house. Kid looks pretty calm and mom just keeps setting the table.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Kid looks pretty calm and mom just keeps setting the table.

I grew up in a DIYer household. That's just how it is.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wait for it...

http://i.imgur.com/pcQ8sWz.webm

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

This reminds me of the failed mountain climbers in the everest thread or the wing suit idiots. These people are such horrible people that they care more about some record or their stupid hobby than their loved ones. They completely deserve their fate, if only it didn't affect their loved ones.

Edit: Also as a goon I wonder what the market would be for 4K cameras attached to those of us who will more than likely die unloved and unremembered. Youtube will be gripped by following my hi def death tape as I drag my carcass toward one last soylent shake before I go silent and several cats dig into my fatty body before themselves going silent as no more nutrition is to be found in my small apartment.

7of7 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 23, 2016

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

I got caught in a flash flood once when I was a kid. That's a terrible, terrible way to spend your day.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i wish they had something like this in the hostel i stayed, insteaad of random folks walking into the common area at 4 am through the ground level fire exit

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
don't believe I've seen this one itt yet...

strong magnets are serious business, kids! :gibs:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Is that a nail between the magnets? drat.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Pingiivi posted:

Is that a nail between the magnets? drat.

Yeaaah that took me a second to fully comprehend, jesus.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!

Segmentation Fault posted:

in b4 "that was done by a belt sander!"

Similar, but it's been through an abrasion resistance test to give it European certification.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

7of7 posted:

This reminds me of the failed mountain climbers in the everest thread or the wing suit idiots. These people are such horrible people that they care more about some record or their stupid hobby than their loved ones. They completely deserve their fate, if only it didn't affect their loved ones.

You'd be hard pressed to have picked a worse example to harp on. Dave Shaw died trying to recover the body of a diver to return it to his family. Additionally, you're entitled to judge people who's ambitions aren't content with living safe lives but that doesn't make your opinion particularly correct. If not for people pushing both their own boundaries and the boundaries of what is considered possible a lot of what is now commonplace, like flying, would be out of the reach of humanity. We would all be poorer without pictures of the galaxy to marvel at, and astronauts had to risk their lives to fix Hubble to bring them to us. Daring to try dangerous things doesn't by default make them terrible people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I personally don't really care about pictures of the galaxy so as far as i'm concerned the blood of twenty astronauts is on the hubble's robotic hands.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When you think about it, driving is super dangerous and the average American risks their life every day to commute to their boring, menial job.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

When you think about it, driving is super dangerous and the average American risks their life every day to commute to their boring, menial job.

I deployed to Iraq twice and whenever people would tell me to "be safe" I'd always tell them that I was safer over there than they were driving over here.

We lose about 15 children a day in the U.S. to car accidents.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 24, 2016

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

Xir posted:

You'd be hard pressed to have picked a worse example to harp on. Dave Shaw died trying to recover the body of a diver to return it to his family. Additionally, you're entitled to judge people who's ambitions aren't content with living safe lives but that doesn't make your opinion particularly correct. If not for people pushing both their own boundaries and the boundaries of what is considered possible a lot of what is now commonplace, like flying, would be out of the reach of humanity. We would all be poorer without pictures of the galaxy to marvel at, and astronauts had to risk their lives to fix Hubble to bring them to us. Daring to try dangerous things doesn't by default make them terrible people.

no no you don't get it, empathy is a precious resource that must be metered out carefully

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Xir posted:

I am quite happy to harp on Dave Shaw's stupid dive:

He died, trying to recover a body that was at rest at a depth/conditions that made recovery stupidly dangerous.

He made his wife a widow and his two children fatherless with this foolhardy attempt that anyone with even the most basic of experience could have told you was almost guaranteed to fail.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

spog posted:

I am quite happy to harp on Dave Shaw's stupid dive:

He died, trying to recover a body that was at rest at a depth/conditions that made recovery stupidly dangerous.

He made his wife a widow and his two children fatherless with this foolhardy attempt that anyone with even the most basic of experience could have told you was almost guaranteed to fail.

Why haven't divers come up with something better than a slate or string tug to communicate yet anyway? His problem was that at that depth he couldn't think clearly, so stuck to the plan of trying to stuff the body in the bag instead of just floating it up as is. At that depth lots of stuff will fail but apparently his camera was fine, the camera just had no way to talk to the surface and people at the surface had no way to talk to him. I get that there is no wifi down there, but if they are running lines anyway why not a communication line?

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Angela Christine posted:

Why haven't divers come up with something better than a slate or string tug to communicate yet anyway? His problem was that at that depth he couldn't think clearly, so stuck to the plan of trying to stuff the body in the bag instead of just floating it up as is. At that depth lots of stuff will fail but apparently his camera was fine, the camera just had no way to talk to the surface and people at the surface had no way to talk to him. I get that there is no wifi down there, but if they are running lines anyway why not a communication line?

It was 2005, which doesn't seem that far off, but they barely had Dive Computers that could dive deep, they were on the bleeding edge of that type of diving. That tech just wasn't around yet.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Elendil004 posted:

It was 2005, which doesn't seem that far off, but they barely had Dive Computers that could dive deep, they were on the bleeding edge of that type of diving. That tech just wasn't around yet.

That being said, underwater unmanned vehicles were a thing in 2005 so....

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

spacetoaster posted:

I deployed to Iraq twice and whenever people would tell me to "be safe" I'd always tell them that I was safer over there than they were driving over here.

We lose about 15 children a day in the U.S. to car accidents.

Yeah, US road safety is amazingly poo poo, you're up there with countries like Bangladesh, Lithuania, Romania and Uzbekistan with deaths per 100,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

SumYungGui posted:

That being said, underwater unmanned vehicles were a thing in 2005 so....

They did use one, at great expense I believe, to do a search after Deon died, but all they found was the dive helmet. ROVs certainly were a thing, but you're acting like these guys were foolhardy.

I guess in a way they were foolish, but they were also the top of the top divers in the world at deep caves, and did a lot of planning. Their flaw was simply wanting to do it, everything else was meticulously planned, they had standby's on site, etc.

• Locked thread