Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

TheMightyHandful posted:

Amethyst need not apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Quoth the simpleminded cretin "Nevermore"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Mithranderp posted:

The "good" part of the whole thing is the literacy and numeracy requirements.

But yeah it seems depending on how their methodology for psych assessments, they might exclude someone on the wrong basis.

The literacy and Numeracy requirements were added back last year, the new feature is the personality test which (again) seems to have built on the predication of an autistic university graduate being someone not a teacher (despite apparently being advised to do the course and then talked out of it). It's like the worms have already escaped the can.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Ok I have the moral outrage you're looking for amethyst. That speech is bad in my opinion.

It is definitely a good sentiment he is making. He seems to be appealing to the idea that Australia can be the safe, welcoming end of the road for people in the world who are suffering. If Australia The Idea was binary, either we open to those who need it, or close the seas and open the camps, then it would be the good speech you're looking for.

However, both of these positions accept Terra Nullius. A welcoming Australia or a rejecting Australia; both are White. I commend him on the welcome to country, but he follows on to thank the Australia Whitey Built.

Australia Day celebrates White Australia, it's in the date, the name, everything. Just because he wants to change from within and make us think hey, maybe if we weren't so aggressively white and let some refugees in we could have something to celebrate doesn't mean the nations foundations are any less genocide-y.

Sorry if you get all knee jerk and claim black arm band gone too far but there really is no reason to celebrate anything about Australia day, and hearing a speech by a house-refugee telling us how great we can be is a bit of a joke to be honest.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm gay irl

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

asio posted:

Ok I have the moral outrage you're looking for amethyst. That speech is bad in my opinion.

It is definitely a good sentiment he is making. He seems to be appealing to the idea that Australia can be the safe, welcoming end of the road for people in the world who are suffering. If Australia The Idea was binary, either we open to those who need it, or close the seas and open the camps, then it would be the good speech you're looking for.

However, both of these positions accept Terra Nullius. A welcoming Australia or a rejecting Australia; both are White. I commend him on the welcome to country, but he follows on to thank the Australia Whitey Built.

Australia Day celebrates White Australia, it's in the date, the name, everything. Just because he wants to change from within and make us think hey, maybe if we weren't so aggressively white and let some refugees in we could have something to celebrate doesn't mean the nations foundations are any less genocide-y.

Sorry if you get all knee jerk and claim black arm band gone too far but there really is no reason to celebrate anything about Australia day, and hearing a speech by a house-refugee telling us how great we can be is a bit of a joke to be honest.

good effort troll but a bit straightforward, missing the killer twist
7/10

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
IMO Rosie Batty did more harm than good and we should stop shaming men who use domestic violence as a coping strategy for their own problems

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Solemn Sloth posted:

IMO Rosie Batty did more harm than good and we should stop shaming men who use domestic violence as a coping strategy for their own problems

Go home Mark Latham, you're drunk.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Birdstrike posted:

good effort troll but a bit straightforward, missing the killer twist
7/10

Thanks whitey, but not a troll

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
This ride is the loving worst and I want my money back.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

starkebn posted:

A degree just educates you, it's not the place of the university to do personality tests. If it's necessary then it's up to the education board once you want to work.

I work at a country school so we have a lot of young teachers coming through doing their compulsory country placements; fairly often these are first time teachers. There's coaching that goes on; obviously everyone has already done their student placements before they get to do teaching for real but as well as that the school leadership on-site work out ways that they can help support new teachers and ease them into things. A full year of teaching is a lot different to a temporary placement; it's like any job, some slowly come to grips with it, some find that they can do the work fine but they hate every moment of it. A personality test isn't going to be able help find out any of this, young teachers won't know how it will go themselves until they are out there doing it. There are many "right" ways to be a teacher.

However, we did have a new teacher come through a few years ago who was somewhere on the autism spectrum. There were a few... incidents. The only one I know the details of happened during some interschool parade event, this teacher decided to make the class goose-step instead of walking in the parade normally. The thing is, schools know that kids are going to have good years and bad years as they go through the system. It's not the end of the world if a kid doesn't click with their teacher one year. It's also not the end of the world if the kids are subjected to some strange times with a teacher who is having a bad time. There's always next year to get them caught up to where they need to be. If things really go south, the school can juggle it around so that the teacher does NIT work (ie PE, Science) and someone else steps in for class time. The kids aren't going to be endangered by someone who is not the "best most perfect teacher archetype" according to some test result, kids are all different and it's good for them to come across all different kinds of people as their mentors. There are systems in place to protect kids from actual dangerous people, and we all do "protective practices" training to know how to avoid inappropriate situations. The kids don't need some personality test to protect them from an "unsuitable" teacher.

As far as I know the goose-stepper came into the school with a known diagnosis, was given a fair go to see how they would do, and at the end of the year the principal wrote an unfavourable report back to whoever gets the reports on new teachers who are in their probationary period. There was no pre-screening or discrimination based on that known diagnosis, the goose-stepper was judged on how well they taught and how well they responded to coaching; the kids that were in the goose-stepper's class were not significantly disadvantaged by having been taught by this person. I couldn't say whether the principal's report would affect goose-stepper's future employment prospects as a teacher, I don't know how it works beyond that point. But there is potential there for this person to get further training to address their deficits based on recommendations from the principal's report, whereas a personality test before the degree has even started might as well be a quiz from a cleo magazine for what use it is to anyone involved.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

The literacy and Numeracy requirements were added back last year, the new feature is the personality test which (again) seems to have built on the predication of an autistic university graduate being someone not a teacher (despite apparently being advised to do the course and then talked out of it). It's like the worms have already escaped the can.

The thing which makes me uncomfortable is how vague it is. A well-handled HR department which uses organisation psychologists to assist in finding good person-job matches is where that kind of psych assessment is well-utilised. Conversely, when the job is extremely mentally taxing (i.e. military), then correctly utilised psych assessment again aids in ensuring people don't blow their brains out when they get access to a firearm/kill other people etc.

The risk these dudes are taking is that they have an idea, being that they need to raise the standards of teachers in NSW. People have this idea that we can give someone this magic personality test and see if they'd be a great teachers - there's probably some personality traits (which change depending on how you actually define them) but theres other things which influence teacher effectiveness. If a person can't teach, then they shouldn't be graduating with a B.Ed. I was of the opinion that there were actual practicals that Education students did, and you had to be judged competent in order to actually "pass".

I'd be interested to see how this interacts with anti-discrimination laws. The anecdotal evidence re: the guy who couldn't maintain eye contact etc. should really be taken witha grain of salt, because if there was a real demand for personality tests, then there would be a study or something to back up his assertion. Perhaps with time and training the person who was talked out of the degree would've made a fine teacher and have gone on to positively impact the lives of students. Proving that THIS PARTICULAR GUY would not have been able to teach will require a fair amount of evidence and research.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 22, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Stoca Zola posted:

I work at a country school so we have a lot of young teachers coming through doing their compulsory country placements; fairly often these are first time teachers. There's coaching that goes on; obviously everyone has already done their student placements before they get to do teaching for real but as well as that the school leadership on-site work out ways that they can help support new teachers and ease them into things. A full year of teaching is a lot different to a temporary placement; it's like any job, some slowly come to grips with it, some find that they can do the work fine but they hate every moment of it. A personality test isn't going to be able help find out any of this, young teachers won't know how it will go themselves until they are out there doing it. There are many "right" ways to be a teacher.

However, we did have a new teacher come through a few years ago who was somewhere on the autism spectrum. There were a few... incidents. The only one I know the details of happened during some interschool parade event, this teacher decided to make the class goose-step instead of walking in the parade normally. The thing is, schools know that kids are going to have good years and bad years as they go through the system. It's not the end of the world if a kid doesn't click with their teacher one year. It's also not the end of the world if the kids are subjected to some strange times with a teacher who is having a bad time. There's always next year to get them caught up to where they need to be. If things really go south, the school can juggle it around so that the teacher does NIT work (ie PE, Science) and someone else steps in for class time. The kids aren't going to be endangered by someone who is not the "best most perfect teacher archetype" according to some test result, kids are all different and it's good for them to come across all different kinds of people as their mentors. There are systems in place to protect kids from actual dangerous people, and we all do "protective practices" training to know how to avoid inappropriate situations. The kids don't need some personality test to protect them from an "unsuitable" teacher.

As far as I know the goose-stepper came into the school with a known diagnosis, was given a fair go to see how they would do, and at the end of the year the principal wrote an unfavourable report back to whoever gets the reports on new teachers who are in their probationary period. There was no pre-screening or discrimination based on that known diagnosis, the goose-stepper was judged on how well they taught and how well they responded to coaching; the kids that were in the goose-stepper's class were not significantly disadvantaged by having been taught by this person. I couldn't say whether the principal's report would affect goose-stepper's future employment prospects as a teacher, I don't know how it works beyond that point. But there is potential there for this person to get further training to address their deficits based on recommendations from the principal's report, whereas a personality test before the degree has even started might as well be a quiz from a cleo magazine for what use it is to anyone involved.

This is kind of what I was talking about. There's already systems in place, without the addition of personality testing, to guarantee the quality of teaching. As much as I absolutely psychological assessment and more jobs for psychologists, I question whether a personality test (and there is a lot to choose from) would prove to be an effective instrument in raising teaching standards. Interestingly, as far as I am aware, the military actually uses a combination of aptitude testing and psychopathology screening, so they gauge both your mental capacity and whether you have any existing mental issues.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Now this is a newscorp publication I can get behind.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stoca Zola posted:

However, we did have a new teacher come through a few years ago who was somewhere on the autism spectrum. There were a few... incidents. The only one I know the details of happened during some interschool parade event, this teacher decided to make the class goose-step instead of walking in the parade normally.

Don't just cut and run! I want to know what happened, drat it! Goose-stepping can be funny in certain contexts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwoSFQb5HVk

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

So the principal had words to goose-stepper to try and work out why the gently caress they thought goose stepping was a good idea, and the reasoning was that "it is the March of my peoples" only in this case, goose stepper insisted that goose stepping is something that Irish people do. I really don't know if the class was actually supposed to be representing traditional Irish marching styles in this parade, I got the impression that it was an on the spot idea not something that anyone had planned or rehearsed. Can anyone confirm or deny that there is any kind of traditional Celtic goose step?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Numerous large Australian coal mines have had their environmental regulations relaxed, in changes the federal government hopes will make life easier for the struggling industry.

Environment law is not red tape, it is a safeguard for Australia's clean water, air and good health

Australian Conservation Foundation spokesman Paul Sinclair
Certain coal mines owned by Glencore, BHP Billiton and Whitehaven Coal have received favourable changes to their approval conditions within the past month, which in some cases reduce the environment minister's ability to demand changes and reduce public oversight of miners' compliance with approval conditions.

The changes, many of which were initiated by the environment department rather than being requested by mining companies, come after a series of controversial coal approvals in recent years and after the federal government threatened to change environment laws in a bid to prevent green groups using the courts to challenge approvals.

Approvals for two Glencore coal mines in the Hunter Valley, Bulga and Liddell, have had environmental conditions revoked within the past month which appear to remove the environment minister's ability to request changes to environmental management plans.

The Caval Ridge coal mine that BHP operates had eight conditions on its approval altered last week, including one which means the company no longer has to wait for written approval from the minister if it wishes to change the way it manages offset areas or threatened species, so long as the companies believe their new plan will not have an increased impact.

Some miners were also told they can report on compliance with their environmental conditions less often, with BHP now allowed to report on Caval Ridge once every two years rather than annually.

The alterations also mean BHP no longer have to publish their compliance reports for Caval Ridge on their websites, and instead need only submit their documents to the environment department.

BHP's Mt Arthur coal mine in the Hunter Valley and the Tarrawonga and Werris Creek coal mines run by Whitehaven have also had their environmental approvals altered.

A spokeswoman for the Federal Environment Department said that some of the recent changes were initiated by the department, and were not specifically requested by the companies involved.

"In line with the Australian government's broader regulation reform agenda, some recent variations have been initiated by the department as a means of reducing unnecessary regulatory burden. These variations are designed to reduce the administrative burden associated with approval conditions while still maintaining high standards of environmental protection," she said.

The spokeswoman said that 34 project approvals had been changed over the past nine months, with the environmental conditions loosened in 21 of those cases.

The spokeswoman said the changes were being made to a range of project approvals, not just coal mines.

But coal mines appear to be very well represented, with Fairfax Media aware of at least seven coal approvals which have been changed in recent months.

Fairfax Media is aware of just one copper mine (BHP's Olympic Dam) and one iron ore mine (run by BC Iron) which have had conditions changed.

Australian Conservation Foundation spokesman Paul Sinclair said it was not appropriate for the government to be running from Australia's environmental law.

"Environment law is not red tape, it is a safeguard for Australia's clean water, air and good health," Dr Sinclair said.

"The Federal Government has a duty to ensure major resources companies comply with the law."

When asked if BHP was happy with the changes, a company spokesperson said; "BHP Billiton welcomes actions by all levels of Government which are directed towards reducing the regulatory and compliance burdens faced by the sector."

The Minerals Council said it did not believe the environment minister's powers had been reduced.

"We believe that regulation and compliance can be more efficient and effective while continuing to uphold high environmental standards," said a spokesman for the council.

"The MCA supports a risk-based approach to compliance, which account for a company's track record and the maturity of their environmental management systems among other things. This reduces unnecessary regulatory burden on the operator and allows regulators to target their compliance resources more effectively.

"Where appropriate, project conditions should focus on the achievement of environmental outcomes and not unnecessary prescription on how those outcomes are achieved. This flexibility allows for adaptive, innovative approaches to be used."

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Innovative approach is code for Maximizing Profits.

In other words gently caress this planet.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Not sure what Leyonhjelm was trying to look like here though.

"No Mr refugee, I expect you to die! "

---

Brisbane Goonmeet
Sunday 24th 6pm.
Dos Amigo's, Taringa.

I'll make a call. Sorry for late notice.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

If you guys despise Amethyst that much you should probably just put him on ignore instead of attempting to savagely burn him with insults like "use big words, much? :allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:"

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

BBJoey posted:

If you guys despise Amethyst that much you should probably just put him on ignore instead of attempting to savagely burn him with insults like "use big words, much? :allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:"

Thanks for digging up a dead derail for this vital hot take.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

So dead the last post two posts about it were 5 and 10 posts ago respectively

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BBJoey posted:

So dead the last post two posts about it were 5 and 10 posts ago respectively
I think you're mistaken about that now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Cartoon posted:

I think you're mistaken about that now.

Please do not bring up my numerical illiteracy I am very sensitive about it.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Kommando posted:

"No Mr refugee, I expect you to die! "

---

Brisbane Goonmeet
Sunday 24th 6pm.
Dos Amigo's, Taringa.

I'll make a call. Sorry for late notice.

lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want Rod Harding to be mayor so bad just so News Corp can have a golden age of dick puns.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
ALP status: getting worse lol

quote:

One of the Australian Labor party’s most outspoken opponents of offshore detention, mass surveillance and live animal exports will not contest the next federal election.

Melissa Parke, who has represented the West Australian seat of Fremantle since 2007, said she would not seek a fourth term because it was “time for me to be closer to my family and to travel less”.

“I believe that renewal is a good tonic for our democracy,” she said on Friday.

Parke, a former UN lawyer, has been a frequent critic of the positions adopted by Australia’s main political parties on asylum seeker policy and laws increasing the powers of security agencies in the name of counter-terrorism.

Melissa Parke: Labor cannot support the deliberate cruelty of current asylum seeker policy
Melissa Parke
Read more
Three months ago, she renewed calls for Labor to drop its support for the processing of asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island. In an opinion piece for Guardian Australia, Parke argued a properly resourced regional arrangement would be better than maintaining “the convenient lie that our Pacific gulags are hard but necessary”.

In 2014, Parke was the sole voice of major party dissent during lower house debate on a bill to increase the power of security agencies. She warned that encroaching on the privacy of citizens “might in fact wear and fray the fabric of our freedom, trust and faith in government”.

In the statement on her future, Parke said the role of an informed and engaged backbencher was “undervalued in the Australian political system, which increasingly favours the executive over the parliament”.

“It has been a pleasure to work with parliamentary colleagues, academics, scientists, experts, industry, unions and community groups on issues such as abolition of the death penalty, justice for refugees, nuclear disarmament, marine sanctuaries, climate change, press freedom, fair trade, closing the gap, war powers reform, Australian aid, early childhood education, public health, rare diseases, medicinal cannabis, dying with dignity, support for veterans, whistleblower protection, an independent office of animal welfare, an end to gene patenting, and long-overdue justice for the Palestinian, Tibetan, West Papuan and Rohingya peoples,” she said.

Labor's boat turnback option a 'bad karaoke version' of Coalition policy
Read more
The Labor leader, Bill Shorten, said Parke had been “an unstinting champion for human rights, international development and social justice”.

“In the caucus and the parliament alike, Melissa has always stood up and spoken out for her beliefs, with an eloquence and fearless passion drawn from a deep well of integrity,” he said.

“For every minute of her time as a federal MP, she has been true to herself.”

The former speaker Anna Burke, another outspoken critic of Labor’s refugee policies, announced last month she would not recontest her Victorian seat at the next election.

Burke and Parke said they would continue to work for the election of a Shorten-led Labor government at this year’s election.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
loving

So someone on Facebook posted this:

Which led to this:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

http://www.mocavo.com/Historical-Records-of-Australia-Volume-9/122867/882

You can read the source of the quote there, be sure to check out page 139 too.

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
"God Almighty... In all of my travels, I've only ever known a human to be an ocean of poo poo."

- Howard Howe, Walrus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Clive Palmer is a hero! You should be thanking him! Am I the only sane one here?!

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Fuckin SJWs and their shutting down of harmless murder and terrorism.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Stoca Zola posted:

So the principal had words to goose-stepper to try and work out why the gently caress they thought goose stepping was a good idea, and the reasoning was that "it is the March of my peoples" only in this case, goose stepper insisted that goose stepping is something that Irish people do. I really don't know if the class was actually supposed to be representing traditional Irish marching styles in this parade, I got the impression that it was an on the spot idea not something that anyone had planned or rehearsed. Can anyone confirm or deny that there is any kind of traditional Celtic goose step?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mC0rWgUqTc

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wait, do people actually use the term "SJW" unironically even when their real name is attached?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

People who describe themselves as 'gamers' unironically.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
'Many years ago I was in TAFE doing a media/journalism thing for a bit and one of the other students during orientation being asked by the teacher why they wanted to be there answered the following

"I have two passions to write about, video gaming and atheism."

I gave up on that course that very moment.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

open24hours posted:

http://www.mocavo.com/Historical-Records-of-Australia-Volume-9/122867/882

You can read the source of the quote there, be sure to check out page 139 too.

For speed, type in 168 and it's at the bottom of the page. Apparently they had the gall to refuse the "indulgences" of settler life. I thoroughly recommend the Dollop podcast covering this fun time, happy invasion day weekend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BBJoey posted:

Wait, do people actually use the term "SJW" unironically even when their real name is attached?

As a white male in a first world country, I have spent my entire life swimming in an ocean of privilege, therefore let me tell you why people who don't find racism and racist genocide funny are SJWs because

It's loving horrifying how many people there are like that :(

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

SynthOrange posted:

People who describe themselves as 'gamers' unironically.

As someone with over 800 games in my collection I shudder at being associated with the current crowd of self-proclaimed "gamers". Nothing positive there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

As a white male in a first world country, I have spent my entire life swimming in an ocean of privilege, therefore let me tell you why people who don't find racism and racist genocide funny are SJWs because

It's loving horrifying how many people there are like that :(

I'm one of them.

• Locked thread