Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah i'm planning on that. It's more New England fair food, but whatever, I want a PB&J milkshake :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Don't forget to start adding the Jungle Cruise Skipper's Canteen to restaurant lists. It's still knocking it out of the park every time I go (I finished the rest of my mother's and girlfriend's food on our latest outing this past weekend, so I also got to try their awesome mac n' cheese with ground beef). The only dish I can even start to criticize is the Sustainable Fish for the fish itself not being cooked in an especially interesting way, though I can understand them trying to play it safe when the choice of fish the chefs get is practically random.

I've heard good things abut Paradiso 37 but haven't actually been yet.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would love to go to Skipper Canteen but I just know she won't eat anything other than the $30 steak.

Although i'm sure anything will be good to us hillbillies. When we go out to eat to a fancy place its a 99 or a Applebeees, not even joking. :downs:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Abu Dave posted:

I would love to go to Skipper Canteen but I just know she won't eat anything other than the $30 steak.

Although i'm sure anything will be good to us hillbillies. When we go out to eat to a fancy place its a 99 or a Applebeees, not even joking. :downs:

Guide her toward char siu pork. It's the sweetest (in a good way) that I've ever had.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah i'm planning on that. It's more New England fair food, but whatever, I want a PB&J milkshake :3:

Oh my god, that shake is the best thing. Favorite drink on property, or at least very much a contender for it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Oh my god, that shake is the best thing. Favorite drink on property, or at least very much a contender for it.

Better than the lemonade out of the Country Bear Jug?! That's a hard thing to beat....

SERIOUSLY I drink out of this every day I fuckin love it

chitoryu12 posted:

Guide her toward char siu pork. It's the sweetest (in a good way) that I've ever had.

That's what I would get :qq:

Actually, there's just too many quick service places we really enjoyed last time that we don't want to not get one at Magic Kingdom. Pecos Bill was really really really awesome, and she wants to try Gastons Tavern and Friars Nook. I'm still jonesin for a waffle sandwich, so maybe a few years down the line. :shrug:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We went to Sci-Fi at HS yesterday on a dinner whim. Menu was updated since we last went and it is much better. I love the theme though. I used to bus tables then became bartender at 50's when I first moved back to Florida and I enjoyed the place. The atmosphere was much different at that time, they have toned it down a lot since I worked there but that is also due to the staff too if they don't have the people skills and talent then you are stuck with meh.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you supposed to tip bartenders at Disney at like the small kiosks and such around Epcot? Now that I think about it, I don't think I tipped a single one. :suicide:

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
When I worked as a bartender it was below minimum wage. Tourists are hella cheap but expect you to put up a front, entertain them and wait on them hand and foot. What you get in return is either nothing from the out of country guests, drat next to nothing from the stateside guests or if you had a local they knew the situation and tipped you well. It never made up for the other two though. I was barely able to survive working two jobs and that is what led me to quit Disney after 8 years of service.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
What are the general benefits you get as a front line worker for Disney? Vacation days? Discounts? I know you can get free tickets for family/friends, but do you get anything else?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Anya posted:

What are the general benefits you get as a front line worker for Disney? Vacation days? Discounts? I know you can get free tickets for family/friends, but do you get anything else?

Full time get actual benefits (I have health, dental and vision) and vacation days that build over time (I have a whopping 1 day at the moment) All cast members get a standard 20% discount on merchandise and select table service restaurants (all cast member discounts add an automatic 18% gratuity) and quick service at the resorts (and Animal Kingdom) If you work here for three years, I believe your merch discount goes up to 35%. For the holidays (October thru early Feb) the merch discount goes up to 40% for all cast.

Part Time and Full Time cast members also earn comp tickets in addition to our main entrance guest passes (guest passes are subject to a lot of block out dates, comps are not)

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
That's not too bad. CM discount sounds like it really pays off after you hit the 30%+ level.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Anya posted:

That's not too bad. CM discount sounds like it really pays off after you hit the 30%+ level.

Saved a fortune on all those princess dresses I bought for my daughter over the years. Those things are hella-expensive.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it as bad to work there as i've read or is it mostly just primadonnas complaining that they went there expecting to have the time of their life but not realizing that it's a job at the end?

I submitted a application for Monorails, I really am debating on it :shrug:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It all depends on your actual job. I've had a friend that's worked here since 2007, started in Guest Relations and now works at Team Disney and has loved every minute of it. My wife is coming up on a year in culinary and has gotten two promotions and raises, has a ton of autonomy and room to continue moving up, and the benefits are fabulous. I had a friend that worked a minimum wage rides/crowd control job and hated it and rants all the time on Facebook about it, but he's a huge drama queen in the first place. It also depends on what park you're in, my wife is in AK and had a friend transfer to MK and has slept in her car multiple times because of extended hours and crazy shifts, she's trying to transfer back already.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, the rate of pay sucks for the huge amount of responsibility for Monorails I saw, but it's what they can get away with because people line up for jobs there. I imagine if you have something that isn't "warm body to fill a hole" then it's apprecaible.

Thanks for the reply.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

How hard is it to get hired in Disney (on the corporate side)? I remember looking out of undergrad and then grad school, and every entry level position at the time stated they were only available for college program kids.

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I just got back from first aid at Studios. We were watching the Star Wars fireworks and a piece of ash landed right in my eye. I wasn't the only one there too, four others had the same thing happen to them. Be careful if the wind is blowing to you and you are close up.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

nbakyfan posted:

I just got back from first aid at Studios. We were watching the Star Wars fireworks and a piece of ash landed right in my eye. I wasn't the only one there too, four others had the same thing happen to them. Be careful if the wind is blowing to you and you are close up.

They are launching most of the fireworks off the Chinese theater and surrounding buildings, so yeah. I had it happen to me last weekend.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Omne posted:

How hard is it to get hired in Disney (on the corporate side)? I remember looking out of undergrad and then grad school, and every entry level position at the time stated they were only available for college program kids.

I think apart from entry level college program stuff, you need to have a pretty solid background in high level corporations. The one woman I know who got a job like that at Disney also had a job in corporate at Ford, for example.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I've had ash land on me even at MK..

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
New this year at Disney parks: Glow with the show GOGGLES

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Reading this page and the tipping talk, it just made me think about what I learned on my recent cruise.

When DCL rolled out some its new policies in 2015 (ie: new alcohol policy), one of the new things was the automatic gratuity (like, 10-18%, I forgot what it was) on drink and food purchases.

However, scarcely one penny of that auto-gratuity goes to the waiter helping you. It's divvied off into a pool, and divided among the managers, the officer crew and then eeeeeveryone else. So if there is someone you really enjoy ordering from or who makes the experience a little extra special for you, you should tip them anyway.

It elevates costs somewhat, but I was really surprised to learn that the actual person doing all the work was barely getting anything from the auto-gratuity.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Doronin posted:

Reading this page and the tipping talk, it just made me think about what I learned on my recent cruise.

When DCL rolled out some its new policies in 2015 (ie: new alcohol policy), one of the new things was the automatic gratuity (like, 10-18%, I forgot what it was) on drink and food purchases.

However, scarcely one penny of that auto-gratuity goes to the waiter helping you. It's divvied off into a pool, and divided among the managers, the officer crew and then eeeeeveryone else. So if there is someone you really enjoy ordering from or who makes the experience a little extra special for you, you should tip them anyway.

It elevates costs somewhat, but I was really surprised to learn that the actual person doing all the work was barely getting anything from the auto-gratuity.

That's par for the course on cruises. In WDW restaurants things are still spread, but much thinner to everyone other than the server.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Any server will split his take for the shift with the busperson, assistant (if they have one), bartender and in the case where I worked at 50's Prime Time the person who was being beat up all day making my shakes. You can see where the tip pool becomes so much your final take home is next to nothing. Your busperson and service bar are required at a bare minimum. That was one of the reasons I switched to working as a bartender. 90% of the time I had no help so I took all the tips for my shift home.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

That's why I usually tip in addition to the required 18% with my discounts. Usually the service at Disney warrants a good tip, and going as far above the set "minimum" as I can is the least I can do. Also now I want a PB+J Milkshake.

Oh, I tried Skipper Canteen for the first time last night. Got the Char Siu Pork and it was splendid, as were the S.E.A. dumplings of Pork and Shrimp. My friend go the Kungaloosh dessert and I tried a bit of that. It was also darn good. The design of the place is what really captured my attention though. I love the audio tracks of voices coming from upstairs. That's wonderful. They even have nods to the other locations similar to this (one of the voices mentions the Grog Grotto and on a shelf is a box that says May Contain Live Snake and it belongs to J. Lindsey) Quite the fun place for a meal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

demonR6 posted:

Any server will split his take for the shift with the busperson, assistant (if they have one), bartender and in the case where I worked at 50's Prime Time the person who was being beat up all day making my shakes. You can see where the tip pool becomes so much your final take home is next to nothing. Your busperson and service bar are required at a bare minimum. That was one of the reasons I switched to working as a bartender. 90% of the time I had no help so I took all the tips for my shift home.

That's odd, our friend said she made great money as a server at various Disney restaurants, including Coral Reef and Be Our Guest. She worked in chain restaurants before Disney and said she made twice the money here, ever after tip-out. Now with automatic gratuity I would think it's even better, plus with Disney you're pretty much never going to have a dead shift.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I mean some of those servers make six figures.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I imagine it'd be chill as gently caress to be a poolside bartender at one of the hotels but probably one of the worst paid jobs

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

That's odd, our friend said she made great money as a server at various Disney restaurants, including Coral Reef and Be Our Guest. She worked in chain restaurants before Disney and said she made twice the money here, ever after tip-out. Now with automatic gratuity I would think it's even better, plus with Disney you're pretty much never going to have a dead shift.

After paying out the busperson, bar, Uncle Sam because we have to figure that out since Disney reports your total sales and regardless of what you made good night or bad you have to pay.. I would walk with $50-$60 bucks. Once I went to the bar though I was having $80 plus nights on average.

All it takes for this to go bad is working a few shifts where you get 2-tops or even 4-tops getting constantly sat with deuces, the kitchen gets in the weeds and your turns take longer than an hour AND you get lovely tips because people don't believe in tipping anyways..

Servers in restaurants with higher ticket averages will always make bank. I know someone who works at Brown Derby to this day and she makes bank.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 25, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does Florida require a bartenders liscence?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cais posted:

I mean some of those servers make six figures.

I believe it. I waited tables for 6 or 7 years when I was younger. I started at a Denny's when I was 16 and was a server though college. I like to think I'm a pretty generous tipper. I always tip extra over the auto grat at full service table service meals, but those people waiting tables at the character buffets must have it made. I feel the auto grat is sufficient for bringing some drinks and clearing some plates.

We had 7 adults and 4 kids at Akershus breakfast buffet and the auto grat was 75 bucks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

To be fair, servers in buffets get a smaller cut. The real money is in the upscale table service, like California Grill. That's some serious moolah, especially for the subpar waiter we had last time.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, anything with an average plate over $15 is where the money is at.

In Florida you do not need a bartenders license.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
My friends fiancé is a full time bartender at Blizzard Beach, he loves it. They sent him to the poly for the winter this year which he liked way better than when he got sent to the All Stars last year.

When I'm out on tour, Disney pays for all of my food and meals. They still give that automatic 18% to the servers still so they don't lose out when we bring folks through.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Cais posted:

When I'm out on tour, Disney pays for all of my food and meals. They still give that automatic 18% to the servers still so they don't lose out when we bring folks through.

I'm sure i've said it before, but drat i'd love to have your job.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Cais posted:

My friends fiancé is a full time bartender at Blizzard Beach, he loves it. They sent him to the poly for the winter this year which he liked way better than when he got sent to the All Stars last year.

That's fantastic and surprising. Definitely the coolest job. How many tours do you do a week on average? And to be nosey, is the pay as good as I would think?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 26, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Musician I'm guessing Cais?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Musician I'm guessing Cais?

When he says tour, he's refering to private tour groups. It's how I met Mr. Cais, in fact. He then blamed me for Winnie the Pooh going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh wow yeah cool gig then.

Speaking of, anyone done the Behind the Seeds tour at Epcot? Fun? How bad is the ladybugs part...someones afraid...not me...