Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Finally decided that since I 1: don't care about clan warfare much at all, and 2: am in WoL anyway I'm just gonna sell my other two timberwolf chassis' after I master my C. That'll give me the money to build the laserfist nova I want so bad even if it's actually terrible! And also a Mad Dog for LRM shenanigans since my founder's catapult only has 2 missile hardpoints and if I'm going to lurm I'm gonna do it to loving unreasonable excess (also my Stalker is set up as a rhino and that is never changing ever).

I decided to switch the Timberwolf up from an srm brawler to a 3 medium pulse/uac20 build and immediately had a 650 damage match. Seems pretty solid :smugdog: I might go whole hog on the short range though and swap down to small pulses and three more tons of ammo

vvv it was exactly that, and yes, extremely nasty. I just have like 7 srm brawler mechs, sooooo

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rocketpriest posted:

Finally decided that since I 1: don't care about clan warfare much at all, and 2: am in WoL anyway I'm just gonna sell my other two timberwolf chassis' after I master my C. That'll give me the money to build the laserfist nova I want so bad even if it's actually terrible! And also a Mad Dog for LRM shenanigans since my founder's catapult only has 2 missile hardpoints and if I'm going to lurm I'm gonna do it to loving unreasonable excess (also my Stalker is set up as a rhino and that is never changing ever).

I decided to switch the Timberwolf up from an srm brawler to a 3 medium pulse/uac20 build and immediately had a 650 damage match. Seems pretty solid :smugdog: I might go whole hog on the short range though and swap down to small pulses and three more tons of ammo

what did you have on the SRM brawler timby? 4 ASRM6 plus 4 SPLS is nasty

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Washout posted:

Jared was innocent! Kardashians are good role models!

I get that the map is too big, but I also get that Skoll is more patient than most of us "BRAWL OR DIE" types.

Skoll's wise, well thought out, eloquent post ( :psyduck: ), and the successful use of those tactics last night while goosed on 198 proof Kansas moonshine has swayed my opinion on the map from "gently caress THIS EARTH" to "perhaps".

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

armchairyoda posted:

I get that the map is too big, but I also get that Skoll is more patient than most of us "BRAWL OR DIE" types.

Skoll's wise, well thought out, eloquent post ( :psyduck: ), and the successful use of those tactics last night while goosed on 198 proof Kansas moonshine has swayed my opinion on the map from "gently caress THIS EARTH" to "perhaps".

the matches I've played on it have been either super awful or really fun. no middle ground

Creamfilled
May 11, 2007

???
Is there any chance someone could give me an invite to WoL, please? IG name is the same as my forum username.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
WoL's contract ends either tonight or tomorrow. Instead of asking for opinions or holding some sort of straw poll I believe it best we just go counterclockwise throughout the Innsersphere on 7 day contracts starting with Marik.
Pink Bird why not?

So that makes it FWL, Steiner, FRR, Kurita then DAvhahahahahaha no.

So the mechbayinging should help out some dudes.

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

TeeMerk posted:

WoL's contract ends either tonight or tomorrow. Instead of asking for opinions or holding some sort of straw poll I believe it best we just go counterclockwise throughout the Innsersphere on 7 day contracts starting with Marik.
Pink Bird why not?

Yes please. I need more mechbays.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
Why is Davion bad? Is there a backstory of some sort?

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Bait and Swatch posted:

They hate us cuz they aint us.

ahdink and creamfilled sent friend invites, Send me a PM in game, I will appear as offline.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Bait and Swatch posted:

Davion were the protagonists in MW4 and MC2... but imo the reason why goons don't care for Davion in this game is strictly because of the community that has formed under its banner. Tryhards and roleplayers iirc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

in the lore the Davions were The Good Guys for a while, always clowning on a bunch of very evil ethnic stereotypes

this resulted in a lot of Bad units going Davion, and when CW was in its infancy they made up for their Badness by zerg rushing planets and winning through uncontested drops

seriously go look at the faction stats for each Battle of Tukayyid sometime, the Davion units are universally terrible

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
i remeber when cw came out and our lances were rawdog buttfucking all davions, their tactic switched to just straight up trying to stall us while they ghost dropped our planets.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Willfrey posted:

i remeber when cw came out and our lances were rawdog buttfucking all davions, their tactic switched to just straight up trying to stall us while they ghost dropped our planets.

This is why PL in general and Mordale in particular are priority targets

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Love Stole the Day posted:

Tryhards and roleplayers iirc.

Good enough for me. I do wish this game had more role players to troll, I expected some ebushido clan players tbh

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Rocketpriest posted:

You should keep 2 just in case, the minimum needed for CW on the clan side is just two timberwolves and two stormcrows, and maybe eventually you will want to go on a solo tour for a bunch of mechbays or something.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can I get an invite to GIRL? Ingame name Ironworm. I used to roll with WOL back in beta.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

TeeMerk posted:

Pink Bird why not?

At the very least going Purple Bird will do :squawk: justice.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Bait and Swatch posted:

Good enough for me. I do wish this game had more role players to troll, I expected some ebushido clan players tbh

There are a few.

A good thing to do when you find them is to go I CLAIM U AS MY BONDSMAN when you kill them

Drives them nuts I swear

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mashed_penguin posted:

Pair up a DDC and an S for the best of both ghostdadding and dickpunching. Also you get to make silly mumble shittalk about having two dads. Truly the best of both worlds.

I think it was me and Phaoroshi who went Ham one game with a D-DC and a S and 2v6'd their team on a flank while our pubbies hosed around doing some bullshit on tourmaline. That was pretty good.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Oh, come on, that's not even Liao colors. I didn't know we had a smilie.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
WOL invite, por favor? UN Mexicola

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If I can't get an invite to GIRL I'm ok with WOL instead.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can we get something in the op about who to pm for an invite. I'm always happy.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Dreadwroth posted:

Call your CW drop: clans (furrys/incest) = GIRL, IS (state sponsored racism/incest) = WoL.

FWIW, nobody really drops CW much because herding goons/cats and dropping CW solo is akin to being a gold medalist in the special olympics.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ahh ok so I'm better off dropping in pugs then?

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

Drone_Fragger posted:

I think it was me and Phaoroshi who went Ham one game with a D-DC and a S and 2v6'd their team on a flank while our pubbies hosed around doing some bullshit on tourmaline. That was pretty good.

Saw Pharoshi, the goon who inspired me to brawl, in an LRM boat tonight. For shame Pharoshi, for shame.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

ZenVulgarity posted:

What can have ecm and er large lasers

The Cicada 3M I run it with two ER large lasers, its great for harassing and as long as you can scurry back to the main group decent in a brawl because people tend to ignore you.

Also yes FWL... now if only they would add Optimus Prime... I mean the Grand Titan.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dreadwroth posted:

Ahh ok so I'm better off dropping in pugs then?

Do Quickplay with any amount of Goons, do not faction play without 11 other goons.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dreadwroth posted:

Everyone in GIRL has the ability to invite, so if you haven't gotten one from the people who usually do it they're probably busy and everyone else is just being a lazy gently caress.

TeeMerk posted:

You had me worried there for a minute.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=101&l=6cd9a79185f19aedbacbaf5299cd6af0c59911bb

I'm gonna try that orion build. How retarded is it? Im not sure how to play this thing. I looks like it should poo poo missiles ok, but it's too slow and fragile. See what happens I guess

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=101&l=6cd9a79185f19aedbacbaf5299cd6af0c59911bb

I'm gonna try that orion build. How retarded is it? Im not sure how to play this thing. I looks like it should poo poo missiles ok, but it's too slow and fragile. See what happens I guess

I don't know much about Orions, but I think you are too slow for how tough you are for brawling. I think you wanna be 90kph or more.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Surprise Giraffe posted:

generally a single ballistic is not worth the tonnage unless it is an AC/20 or gauss

really the Orion is tough to build for. You could try this maybe?

ON1-VA

I don't even know if it would work

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Safety Factor posted:

Oh, come on, that's not even Liao colors. I didn't know we had a smilie.

It was from PTN's battletech thread. I would have preferred it to be :marik: but :squawk: is still fine.

That being said I've had a green one in the pipes right now but it might be a while until I can get back to it. :shobon:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Anita Dickinme posted:

Everyone in GIRL has the ability to invite, so if you haven't gotten one from the people who usually do it they're probably busy and everyone else is just being a lazy gently caress.

You had me worried there for a minute.

GIRL contract expired if you want to sync up in marik. Corn is online and can do it?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Orions have massive CT's and should be avoided.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Pattonesque posted:

generally a single ballistic is not worth the tonnage unless it is an AC/20 or gauss

really the Orion is tough to build for. You could try this maybe?

ON1-VA

I don't even know if it would work

That one is good, Heres my preference

Other Orions aren't as hard to fit for though.

ON1-K
PROTECTOR

Its still tight though. More of a striker than a brawler.

E: They do twist well, so if you roll your poo poo it's not so bad. Side profile is nice too and the arms take some pressure off of the sides.

DiHK fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bait and Swatch posted:

Saw Pharoshi, the goon who inspired me to brawl, in an LRM boat tonight. For shame Pharoshi, for shame.

The Hunchback-4J is not a boat. I have 4 Medium lasers and I use them. The Awesome8-R is definitely a boat and inexcusable.

Man, that's why I picked that name, it's super simple and yet people mispronounce it all the time. Hell yes never getting called primary in EVE :smith:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
-4J is perhaps the only acceptable lurmboat because it gets crazy quirks, has a high TAG so you can get your own stupid locks, and is only 50 tons

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Pattonesque posted:

-4J is perhaps the only acceptable lurmboat because it gets crazy quirks, has a high TAG so you can get your own stupid locks, and is only 50 tons

I've said it multiple times:

No arm armor, 3 ML, 2 LRM 10, one BAP in hunch,
STD255 engine
TAG in head
Get at least 1000 ammo somehow, maybe more, depends on if you can postion yourself to survive or not.
Fill with heatsinks (you only really need about two), you can take armor out of left torso/legs to meet cooling needs.
Artemis is not required, but you can run it if you want.

BOOM, you go 90kph, can reposition and effectively never get caught since your team is only a step away with all your speed. The HBK chassis allows you to almost twist 180 to maintain lock, you BAP counters light mechs that come up to your team, gets locks faster, you have TAG in your head to hill hump, you have 3ML quirked heavily for range, you have 2LRM 10 quirked heavily for smashing.

I get loving 400 damage minumum every game and take up a paltry 50 tons. I can squirt out missles faster than any other "boat" in the game, even more so with the module and 2x skills w/ fast fire. Light mechs will not gently caress with you as you twist 140 degrees to look back at them firing 3ML with cooldown quirks while running towards your team if you somehow get "caught."

The HBK-4J is the perfect mech for LURMING. It is a LRM boat.

Try to prove me wrong, I'll show you the avg damage per game stats and mine will be better than whatever you run, gauren-loving-teeeeeeeed.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

An oldbird is flummoxed by good light play, having been caught alone in the water https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k319DbHU80

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 23, 2016

• Locked thread