Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TheFluff posted:

Getting a tank gun into a turret is actually pretty tricky business, especially for long guns. You kinda have to mount it more or less balanced or it becomes prohibitively heavy to elevate, which makes the part mounted inside the turret pretty long. It becomes even longer when it recoils, and there's a tradeoff: by making the recoil travel longer you can make the recoil dampers slightly weaker. Then you need to make sure the breech doesn't hit the turret roof when firing at max depression, and when you've done that you need to make sure the entire turret isn't too unbalanced where it sits on the turret ring because otherwise it's gonna be really heavy to traverse.

Another glorious Svenska victory for the design of the S-Tank. :sweden:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Comrade Koba posted:

Special offer: For a one-time fee of 5000 WarBuxx, your character gets transferred to a non-combat auxiliary position behind the front. The game then automatically uninstalls.

Then it just installs a pirated version of Reccetear: An Item Shop's Tale where you work for the commissary.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

HEY GAL posted:

there's no general early modern history thread any more so i will put this here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicisbeo

sometimes the past is cool because the people in it were not very different from us, but sometimes for the opposite reason

Nobody let /pol/ find out about this.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pontius Pilate posted:

Nobody let /pol/ find out about this.
everyone involved is white, if italians are white (???)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

HEY GAL posted:

everyone involved is white, if italians are white (???)

They mean for the "beta cuck lol" thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

spectralent posted:

They mean for the "beta cuck lol" thing.
yeah, and one third of that psychodrama is black, that's the whole point, black men are taking white women from the betas

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

there's no general early modern history thread any more so i will put this here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cicisbeo

sometimes the past is cool because the people in it were not very different from us, but sometimes for the opposite reason

I can't imagine the bizarre conflicts that came out of this kind of thing.

"The foppish gentleman who accompanies my lawfully wedded wife at all hours is fancier than your wife's!"

"I will meet you on the field of honor sir!"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
and everyone's drunk as hell and on drugs and all the men have those tiny little swords

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

Huh; I thought the E-100 and the 10cm tiger were both designs that someone was going to try and make, just germany was too exploded too have the manufacturing capability to do that by the point it got to them? They'd definitely not be prototypes, but I thought they were "real" in the sense that some lunatic in a nazi war office was excitedly flinging his blueprints at people.

The E-100 was planned, but with a different turret. The World of Tanks version uses the early Maus turret (which could not fit a 150 mm gun either), whereas the "real" E-100 turret had its sides thinned out to 80 mm in order for the chassis to be able to support the weight. The WoT version, naturally, does not reflect the extra weight of this increase, so the E-100 is rather agile and is actually a fun and good tank to play. For some reason, the WT version of the vehicle has the exact same stats.

The Tiger II with the 105 mm gun was also an idea in the back of someone's head, but the conclusion on that project was that the tank would need a whole new turret, an extra loader, and still end up with a laughably poor rate of fire. The WoT version did away with those changes for technical reasons (tanks can only have at most two turrets and the number of crew cannot change) as well as give a fictional designation to their made up tank gun. WT copied their "design" wholesale, right down to the fictional designation.

TheFluff posted:

At least for the E-100 I'm pretty sure Pasholok said the 15 cm gun it has in the game is way too big to fit in the turret, especially with the turret sides being way thicker in game than they should be. A 15 cm gun has a gigantic recoil force that takes some huge rear end dampeners to absorb.

Getting a tank gun into a turret is actually pretty tricky business, especially for long guns. You kinda have to mount it more or less balanced or it becomes prohibitively heavy to elevate, which makes the part mounted inside the turret pretty long. It becomes even longer when it recoils, and there's a tradeoff: by making the recoil travel longer you can make the recoil dampers slightly weaker. Then you need to make sure the breech doesn't hit the turret roof when firing at max depression, and when you've done that you need to make sure the entire turret isn't too unbalanced where it sits on the turret ring because otherwise it's gonna be really heavy to traverse.

The Tiger and Panther ended up with unbalanced guns and turrets due to the fact that you can't just jam an arbitrarily large gun into things.

HEY GAL posted:

and everyone's drunk as hell and on drugs and all the men have those tiny little swords

Hey, it's just cold, okay!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I don't know if it's the most deadly war, but this one pretty much depopulated Paraguay:
http://www.britannica.com/event/War-of-the-Triple-Alliance

I know the War Nerd isn't exactly an expert historian or anything but his article about that war is a pretty good read.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

Smallswords!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9ctDsxe0

Not enough circular movement for my liking

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

DiHK posted:

I'm driving from Amsterdam to Berlin, and again from Florence to Rome. What cool war poo poo can I stop at along the way?

(the Lions Mound, the Citadel at Lille, and that monument in Teutoburg Forest are already accounted for. Open to all periods. Would like to see some Maginot line and some Dragon teeth but the route doesn't look to support that very well.)

How much of a big cat person are you? (It's a 2 hour detour)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I know the War Nerd isn't exactly an expert historian or anything but his article about that war is a pretty good read.

'Article dude posted:

The Jesuits in those days were a hardcore outfit, like commissars in the 1930s, and they tried like hell to turn the Guarani into a country of pious, obedient little nation-state builders: gave them universal education, everything owned in common (some kind of Catholic communism, an idea I don’t get at all) and all that “respect for local customs” business that got popular a couple hundred years later.

Best not show that guy P-Mack's work, then.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rabhadh posted:

Smallswords!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cd9ctDsxe0

Not enough circular movement for my liking

the duelists was a great movie

and smh at the guy who's trying to learn about history without encountering Catholic Communism

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

HEY GAL posted:

and smh at the guy who's trying to learn about history without encountering Catholic Communism

It's the war nerd. He isn't very good at the war thing.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

It's the war nerd. He isn't very good at the war thing.

why is he so popular then? and has he written anything on my period?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

he writes in an edgy style that many nerds like, i read some of his articles that some goon linked and iirc he only wrote about modern wars and ww2

no one should read him, he's unfunny and full of poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Other idiots like his idiocy.

The best part is that he's not even a real person. He's a character created by some other idiot writer because... I dunno actually.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Hogge Wild posted:

edgy style that many nerds like,

quote:

And funny thing, the slaves weren’t that great troops. Slaves fight pretty well sometimes, which is one of the depressing features of history most people don’t like to think about—the way so many slaves are eager to die for Massa—but these must’ve been your smarter slaves, because they weren’t into it at all. The Paraguayans rolled over them every time they met, and that was usually by accident if the Brazilian rank-and-file had anything to say about it.
<...>
When the grand Brazilian expedition finally met a small force of Paraguayan cavalry at Laguna, they instantly fled back to the plantation, to resume the wonderful life of being slaves in the sugarcane fields in dear old Brazil.

He's a douche.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

chitoryu12 posted:

The mail service eliminated their Nagant revolvers in 2003 and the bailiff security service removed them in 2009. The Ukrainian police and security services retired them in 2008.

Aw man, it's such a sexy gun. I mean, personally I probably agree with keeping powerful revolvers out of the hands of the postal service, but it's just *so* Russian.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
so edgy i cut myself

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

A lot of it is the appeal of stupid myths that let people be smug contrarians who know better than the "establishment" because one blog that glosses over the facts trumps people who study the stuff for a career. For example his love of declaring that small boats dragging missiles heavier than their displacement out to the open ocean is totally a surefire way to kill carriers that renders them utterly obsolete.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Tias posted:

Aw man, it's such a sexy gun. I mean, personally I probably agree with keeping powerful revolvers out of the hands of the postal service, but it's just *so* Russian.

Hey, you need something to protect your mail from bears.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Seriously, fantastic soundtrack.

The concept and actual facts it was inspired from is Napoleonic as gently caress and I love it.

I hate that Maddox edgy writing style so gently caress the War Nerd reguardless. It's hard enough trying to get people to understand and try enjoy history enough thank you.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, fantastic soundtrack.

The concept and actual facts it was inspired from is Napoleonic as gently caress and I love it.

I hate that Maddox edgy writing style so gently caress the War Nerd reguardless. It's hard enough trying to get people to understand and try enjoy history enough thank you.
based on a short story by joseph conrad too, who never met a weird psychodrama where a relatively normal dude gets sucked into some loving life bullshit he didn't like. The costumes are good, although there's a little bit of 20th century hanging around their faces and hairstyles they did make the effort. +1 for dragoon pigtails.

There need to be more 17th century war films, good god.

I hope I've avoided that style in my writing, I try to keep things casual and I worry sometimes that I'm straying into that "pompous but with swears" style that GBS used to love five years ago.

Edit: My subjects do cuss though, and every now and then I'll get question marks in the margins from my advisors next to my translations of them. Apparently I need to come up with a more scholarly translation for vexieren than "screw around"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 23, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nothing wrong with dropping some swears now, I do it all the time. The dudes who wrote the reports and their memoirs of the stuff we love enjoy peppering the stuff with d---m and b------d!

The repeat useage of foolish wretches or something along those lines in his memoirs makes me think Sergrant Bourgogne's original memoirs were salty as hell but he had to edit the hell out of them to allow them to be published.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 23, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Cartoon posted:

I love how you didn't check the citation apparently. Here let me click that link for you:

Hm... Yes, the citation, yes, obviously.

You know, if you want Yugoslav fascism, there's plenty to pick from. The Zbor movement, for example, which was Serb-flavored though it insisted on Yugoslav unity and its membership and leadership included Croats and Slovenians. Economically a perfect match for Nazi politics, though its diversity kinda slowed down its progress down the other aspects of fascist politics (though it was slowly getting there). It even managed to almost reach a whole 1% of the popular vote during the elections! And got banned eventually for being too friendly with the Nazis, which kinda put a lid on the idea of them getting a seat in the parliament. Or, you know, you can take a look at the Ustaše terrorist group, which was funded by Italian fascists, assassinated king Aleksandar, and under Nazi Germany in WW2, led a horrifically brutal campaign of slaughter. Though, note the "terrorrist" part. They were not a political party or taking any part whatsoever in ruling the country until it fell (thought they more than made up for it once they were given power by the Nazis). Or take any other group and organization with fascist leanings at the time. There were quite a few of them, each with their own special snowflake flavor of rancid bullshit.

But holy poo poo, king Aleksandar wasn't a fascist, and neither was his regime. Authoritarian rear end in a top hat, yes. Emphasized national unity to the point of cracking down hard on any "elements of disunity", yes. Persecuted suspected communists (many of whom, like my family, only became communist due to being wrongfully persecuted about it), yes. But he was absolutely not a fascist.

He spent a decade trying to work out an alliance between Balkan nations, culminating in the Balkan Entente - a treaty between Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece, and Turkey (yes, he got Greece and Turkey to sign the same treaty) to guarantee each-other's borders and provide military aid in case of invasion by foreign powers, the goal of the treaty being that there never ever be another Balkan war. It was supposed to include Bulgaria, Hungary, and Albania as well, but these rejected the treaty, each for their own reasons. The offer was officially extended to Italy, but that was more for exploiting Mussolini's rejection of such a treaty to persude the others to join up. Aleksandar even loving tried to reach out to the Soviet Union in a sort of "How about we don't step on each-others' toes while he have bigger blackshirted fish to fry?" way. The treaty was unfortunately not completely followed through when he was assassinated in Paris by fascist terrorists funded by Mussolini, and died when Italy occupied Albania, de facto defeating the goal of keeping Italy out of the Balkans.

"The effect of Aleksandar's dictatorship was to further alienate the non-Serbs from the idea of unity." Are you loving kidding me? He tried to ban Serbian Cyrillic in order to promote the Latin script as the one writing system of a unified Yugoslavia. The Banovinas were explicitly made to ignore any sort of an ethnic (God, I hate that word, it always adds so many unintended implications whenever it's used) boundary, and the word chosen for them explicitly reached out to the legacy of the Croatian Bans. He wasn't Serbifying Yugoslavia - quite the opposite. What he did do was piss off almost everyone by removing several democratic institutions and giving himself a lot more power. Nationalists of all flavors got pissed off and complained of course, because that's what nationalists of all flavors do 9-5 5/7 when they're not in charge - but it was not nationality-based resistance that was the strongest. Most dangerous, yes, what with Italy happily funding anyone non-communist who wanted to disrupt the country, but far from the most influential. To give you a small example of hosed over Serbs, many Serbs living outside of Serbia were expecting to not be dirt-poor second class citizens under an authoritarian regime like they were in Austria-Hungary, and finally having a say in their own future - only to end up under an authoritarian regime, with little say in their own future, continuing to be dirt-poor because the government had grander ideas to follow compared to the triviality of helping its people prosper, and after Aleksandar's death, ended up being second class citizens again because of measures done to appease various nationalists. To give you an example of a non-Serb group that didn't actually complain all that much, many Slovenians took one look at what Mussolini was doing to Slovenians in Italy (hint: not something pretty), and decided that they're willing to pay a fairly high price to have someone willing and capable of protecting them from that. Obviously, there was plenty of people who thought they can avoid both problems at the same time, and either became communists, or tried to take part in fascist politics to try to leverage the Nazi influence against the Italian fascists somehow.

Fascist groups did indeed fantasize about a "March on Rome" styled takeover of power after Aleksandar died, but his failure to address the grievances of the general population resulted in a fairly strong underground communist movement - sufficiently strong in fact to dissuade any such attempt from taking place.

I kinda sort Aleksandar in the "good intentions, bad methods, is a shithead" bracket. With the country in danger of falling to chaos, it was easy for him to convince himself that all it takes is one strong man to say "Enough with this bullshit, play nice with each-other and don't make me come over there to sort you out" and everything would work out. And, by doing so, he a) hosed up because he wasn't the absolutist genius he thought himself to be and b) intruded on the principles and liberties that made people believe in Yugoslavia in the first place. Also, gently caress him and his police for murdering my great-great-grandpa.

But please, keep quoting Wikipedia at me. Clearly, I am an ignorant, insignificant worm before its glowing radiance of factuality.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nothing wrong with dropping some swears now, I do it all the time. The dudes who wrote the reports and their memoirs love d--m and b------d!
the only time i have ever read an official encounter words he refused to transcribe was in the case of a guy who had made a pact with the devil and said "that he shat upon the hundred thousand sacraments, and other things too terrible to mention."

everything else is written down as received, including the resident of Busto Arsizio who ran up to a soldier while he was sitting on the stoop and said "Hey soldier! I hosed your mouth!" in three different languages including Latin. That's fine--hell, Wallenstein is almost as open in his letters to other high officials. This is, after all, the generation of Grimmelshausen and Moscherosch, and one generation away from Rabelais. Their grandchildren will be scandalized.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Cussing a dude out in three langauges is soldier as hell.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Cussing a dude out in three langauges is soldier as hell.
That guy was a civilian, I have no idea where he picked up the Latin. Schutze and Steter cussed each other out in German, Italian, and Spanish though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Maybe he was a loving priest?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Maybe he was a loving priest?
then what the gently caress was up with his loving dagger in his hand

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

then what the gently caress was up with his loving dagger in his hand

It was his loving prayer dagger now.

Okay, I'll stop.

His f-------g praying letter opener.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Working on the book for 1915. How come none of y'all pedants ever caught me claiming that Istanbul is the capital of Turkey? Cringe.

100 Years Ago

The Ottomans are putting a lot of faith in the defences of the Erzurum Fortress. Let's do some consumer investigation of their claims. General Smith-Dorrien has proved too ill with his attack of pneumonia to actually take up that command in Africa; Verdun gets an extra corps, a prudent step if General Joffre's assumptions are correct; and Louis Barthas continues his magical mystery tour around the British rear (chortle).

PS: Have a picture of two women in puttees

my dad posted:

He spent a decade trying to work out an alliance between Balkan nations, culminating in the Balkan Entente - a treaty between Yugoslavia, Romania, Greece, and Turkey (yes, he got Greece and Turkey to sign the same treaty)

Is it okay if I believe that this required some kind of elaborate vaudeville scheme involving a carefully-folded piece of paper and a string of incredibly unconvincing excuses? "No, the manager won't give me the special government rate for ten-course formal banquets unless he has the signature of such a powerful and renowned person as yourself, folded in the traditional style of his ancestors..."

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 23, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

the only time i have ever read an official encounter words he refused to transcribe was in the case of a guy who had made a pact with the devil and said "that he shat upon the hundred thousand sacraments, and other things too terrible to mention."

everything else is written down as received, including the resident of Busto Arsizio who ran up to a soldier while he was sitting on the stoop and said "Hey soldier! I hosed your mouth!" in three different languages including Latin. That's fine--hell, Wallenstein is almost as open in his letters to other high officials. This is, after all, the generation of Grimmelshausen and Moscherosch, and one generation away from Rabelais. Their grandchildren will be scandalized.

lol i just realised that i could also say that in latin

the things you learn on this forum

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

A lot of it is the appeal of stupid myths that let people be smug contrarians who know better than the "establishment" because one blog that glosses over the facts trumps people who study the stuff for a career. For example his love of declaring that small boats dragging missiles heavier than their displacement out to the open ocean is totally a surefire way to kill carriers that renders them utterly obsolete.

Dude has a major hateboner for the concept of aircraft carriers. According to him the Chinese DF-21 is absolutely going to sweep the seas clean of all major combat vessels about half an hour into a conflict. Anyone not building shittons of subs is just going to lose, period, no questions asked.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

You have two more years to go Trin.

Halfway there. Assuming you don't start drinking yourself to death from all the selfish pointless misery.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

lol i just realised that i could also say that in latin

the things you learn on this forum
don't forget the italian. the full sentence was "Ai soldate, becche futui," and I'm pretty sure "beche" is the Regimental Secretary's misspelling of "beccé," which is Bustocco for "mouth." Bustocco is the dialect spoken northwest of Milan, which is where they are

edit: italian.png, bustocco is one of the purple ones, i do not know why the map doesn't include Swiss Italian

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 23, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

Dude has a major hateboner for the concept of aircraft carriers. According to him the Chinese DF-21 is absolutely going to sweep the seas clean of all major combat vessels about half an hour into a conflict. Anyone not building shittons of subs is just going to lose, period, no questions asked.

Worst is that he blatantly made the decision already and just keeps grabbing anything to back it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Apparently during the post Waterloo British occupation of Cambrai four British soldiers were so drunk they mistook a barrel of gun powder for a barrel of ale and gathered around the thing with mugs at the ready while one of the soldier shot his musket to crack it open.

Needless to say only two of them survived and were mutilated beyond any further service.

:britain:

Hilariously, this isn't an isolated incident. In the morning after Waterloo a Light Infantry and Rifleman soldier killed themselves horribly splitting up abandoned French artillery frames for firewood and one of the ammuniton chests still had powder inside. Eventually a spark from the axes they used ignited the gunpowder and the box exploded sending the two men flying high into the air it even made Captain Cincaid a grizzled Penisular War veteran look up and raise his eyebrows.

They survived the explosion but were naked, covered in soot and died of shock and possibly horrible internal injuries.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 23, 2016

• Locked thread