Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Halfway up on every range I've used will burn things and smoke oil. I've yet to "sweat" onions.

I have Calphalon stainless pans.

It's not the pans or the range, obviously. It's me. It just doesn't help that everyone says "medium" or "medium low" as if that corresponds to a dial position, when really it's a temperature. And obviously I'm letting my pans get above that temperature. Sort of irrelevant what the dial says if I am smoking up my kitchen.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The Ferret King posted:

Halfway up on every range I've used will burn things and smoke oil. I've yet to "sweat" onions.

I have Calphalon stainless pans.

It's not the pans or the range, obviously. It's me. It just doesn't help that everyone says "medium" or "medium low" as if that corresponds to a dial position, when really it's a temperature. And obviously I'm letting my pans get above that temperature. Sort of irrelevant what the dial says if I am smoking up my kitchen.

Yeah this is definitely my experience with every non-gas range. My last glass top stove would get "smoking hot" with the burner set to "2" out of "8". I never took it above "4" for anything but bringing water to a boil.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lase...ser+thermometer

You can get a cheapo laser thermometer if you want something measurable.

Keep in mind that laser thermometers can NOT measure stainless steel directly, so you have to put a little oil in your pan and measure the temperature of the oil. The laser can however measure non-stick and cast iron pans directly.

Let's say:
200°F to 250°F is low
250°F to 300°F is medium low
300°F to 350°F is medium
350°F to 400°F is medium high
400°F and up is high

Now, this is assuming we're talking about empty pans (other than the oil used for checking the temp), and this is assuming you've been heating them about 3 minutes or so. Once you throw in your food you can expect the pan's temperature to come down drastically, a 400°F pan might come down to 250°F or so and slowly climb back up afterwards.

When it comes to pots that's a different matter since you're cooking with water and even with a burner turned up full blast the pot's never going to get above 212°F until the water's all boiled off.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 23, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can you describe your stove? Is it gas, electric coil, glass or induction? Are the burners regular size or larger?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Steve Yun posted:

Can you describe your stove? Is it gas, electric coil, glass or induction? Are the burners regular size or larger?

It is currently gas with a few different sized burners. Probably mid 90s model, cheapie looking.

Previously it was a glass top , and before that it was a few coil electrics.

I like the gas arrangement. Though I'm still getting used to it. I've noticed that the sides of the pans heat first as the flame wraps around the bottom.

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 23, 2016

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

madkapitolist posted:

I want to make garlic butter, would this work?

Blend raw garlic with a little bit of olive oil+salt+pepper. Cook mixture in pan until cooked, place in bowl to cool down. After cooled down, mix this garlic/ olive oil mixture with softened garlic, cool down then wrap in wax paper.

Will anything go horribly wrong?

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. I also prefer roasting garlic and folding it into soft butter. I assume you'll have to very gently poach the garlic in the olive oil or end up with a crispy, gritty raft of micro garlic bits in your oil.

Yep too cripsy, still worked pretty well though, I did end up draining the olive oil and using it to cook other stuff. I think next time I will try to do the same thing, but let it get brown/ crunchy. As you said, "lightly poach" in oil. Still made very good garlic bread though.

madkapitolist fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 23, 2016

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah, that'll throw you off since the burners will have different definitions of what's "high"

If you have small medium and large burners, use the small one for just keeping things warm after you cooked them, the medium burners for most things, and the large burner for getting pans extra hot like if you're going to sear a steak, or for boiling large pots of water extra fast.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

So I've been watching The Great British Bake-Off and I've noticed many of the bakers use these nice white cloth oven gloves connected with a loose strap of cloth.

For some reason I'm having trouble finding this particular type of oven mitt on Amazon. I've tried every search, and have even poked around the GBBO branded bullshit (not a great showing)

If anyone knows the type I'm talking about, I'd love a bit of help.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

It is currently gas with a few different sized burners. Probably mid 90s model, cheapie looking.

Previously it was a glass top , and before that it was a few coil electrics.

I like the gas arrangement. Though I'm still getting used to it. I've noticed that the sides of the pans heat first as the flame wraps around the bottom.

Whoah, you've got your heat set way too high then. The flame should never lick around the sides of the pot or pan. Maybe consider thinking of "high" as "burners reach edge of pan," medium as middle, etc.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Lawnie posted:

Whoah, you've got your heat set way too high then. The flame should never lick around the sides of the pot or pan. Maybe consider thinking of "high" as "burners reach edge of pan," medium as middle, etc.

It doesn't depart the sides of the pan. But they definitely heat before the center does

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

The Bananana posted:

Hello cooking masters!

I'd like a little guidance here. I am a novice, to sometimes intermediate cook, and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to accomplish here, but your help in nailing down the details would be much appreciated.

I'd like to take a flatbread, topped with mozzarella, tomatoes, sweet onions, goats cheese, and basil, and a bit of bacon, bake it in an oven, then add arugula, basil, parsley(?).

What do y'all think?

Good plan? Ingredients play well? Eager to hear any suggestions or advice.

It's... not coming along very well. This seems super simple, and it's not coming out right, so it's kinda discouraging. :(

Biggest problem is it was soggy. Thinking I need to strain my wet ingredients to drain all the water out.

This is the test run, so I guess it's good I'm practicing before I try to make this for people.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Bananana posted:

It's... not coming along very well. This seems super simple, and it's not coming out right, so it's kinda discouraging. :(

Biggest problem is it was soggy. Thinking I need to strain my wet ingredients to drain all the water out.

This is the test run, so I guess it's good I'm practicing before I try to make this for people.

Most people vastly overestimate the amount of toppings that can go on a pizza before it gets unmanageably wet or heavy.

Less is more! Don't feel bad, it happens to everyone.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, mineral oil and sanding.

Awesome! Thanks man.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How long does a pork shoulder stay good for in the freezer? I've got some that has to be 8 months old by now.

Related, how long at what heat should I cook pulled pork at?

I've had some go at least a year and been okay, just a little freezer burned.

I re-saute it in a skillet until it gets slightly crispy, like 5-8 minutes.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Most people vastly overestimate the amount of toppings that can go on a pizza before it gets unmanageably wet or heavy.

Yeah, I think if you're just trying to get a handle on pizza-making technique it's worthwhile to start with the simple margherita and get that down before adding more moving parts. In addition to loving up by getting too lol meat on the thing, using the wrong mozz or not getting your oven hot enough are the most common failures that'll lead to soggy crust, and it's easier to get a feel for how those factors affect things if you're not throwing a lot of poo poo on the pie.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

^^^^what's the wrong kind of mozzarella? I was using medallions of mozzarella fresca. I was inclined to think they were partial culprits in the soggyness, as they're very moist.

Thanks number 1 sexy dad. I'll keep that in mind. *sigh*

Back to the kitchen!

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jan 23, 2016

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The Bananana posted:

^^^^what's the wrong kind of mozzarella? I was using medallions of mozzarella fresca. I was inclined to think they were partial culprits in the soggyness, as they're very moist.
Yeah, that's probably part of it. An ultra-traditional, protected designation of origin style Neapolitan pizza will use a fresh buffalo mozzarella...and about 9 times out of 10 it'll be a little soggy in the middle.

For the kind of pie you're probably expecting, try looking for a low-moisture mozz. That's not a skim milk mozz (although you can find some that are both). Pretty much any grocery store that carries mozzarella at all should have some labelled whole milk, low-moisture or words to that effect.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Bananana posted:

I use fresh mozzarella on pizza as well (I can't find the low water stuff in the store) and about an hour before I put the pizza in the oven, I chop the moz up and spread it over a plate covered in kitchen paper to absorb the water, with another sheet of kitchen paper on top. Every 15-20 minutes the paper is soaked through, so I transfer the cheese to a new plate, with dry sheets of kitchen paper. By the 3rd or 4th plate, most of the moisture is gone and you won't get puddles on top of your pizza. It's a bit of a pain, but the amount of water that comes out of the cheese otherwise is crazy.

I've noticed that certain other things bleed a lot of water out onto pizza as well if you use too many of them. Mushrooms and Bell Peppers release a lot of water when cooked, as do chunks of chicken. Usually, the mozzarella was the main culprit though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The sauce also can be a problem. If you're using a cooked sauce you need to cook that poo poo down to as pasty a consistency as possible.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

As well as all that, if you're using fresh tomato, it helps immensely to scoop out the jelly bits and seeds and dice the flesh, bruschetta style.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

As well as all that, if you're using fresh tomato, it helps immensely to scoop out the jelly bits and seeds and dice the flesh, bruschetta style.
It's worthwhile to keep all the squishy stuff and just reduce it, as the seeds and the gelatinous membranes in the locular cavities are where most of the glutamate in a tomato are. If you just use the pericarp---the outer, fleshy part of the tomato---you won't get nearly as much flavour.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So, I got the transport help from family to grab a crock pot, finally.

Problem: My available fresh meats looks like this.

Anyone got good, staple-heavy (mind you, Finnish staples, so the non-dried vegetables available are pretty much potatoes, carrots and rutabagas) crock pot recipes to start out with?

(You might want to check my post history for the context. Also, an addition: Docs say I've recovered about as much as I'm going to, and I'm still Infomercial-Man.)

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I'm having trouble with pizza and I think it's my oven.

I have a 3/8" pizza steel and a gas oven-last week I let it preheat for 1.5 hours at 500(max setting) and I barely got any browning on the bottom.

Would the oven temp be the only problem here or could dough composition play a role?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We don't have a pizza thread? That needs to be remedied.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

We don't have a pizza thread? That needs to be remedied.

We do: romancing the pizza stone

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635&pagenumber=32&perpage=40

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Whoops! Thanks for the link.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

endlessmonotony posted:

Anyone got good, staple-heavy (mind you, Finnish staples, so the non-dried vegetables available are pretty much potatoes, carrots and rutabagas) crock pot recipes to start out with?

(You might want to check my post history for the context. Also, an addition: Docs say I've recovered about as much as I'm going to, and I'm still Infomercial-Man.)

Even just carrots, beef and a little salt and pepper in a crock pot is going to come out pretty drat good.

Do you have access to frozen chopped vegetables? You can't do chopping on your own correct? Looks like the selection you have in your link is pretty good so there are a lot of meat choices to slow cook there. I'd probably start with throwing in some beef of some kind for 2 hours on the "low" setting on the crock pot then adding in some carrots and if you can get them some chopped onion and/or celery and if you have it, either a cup of wine or a cup or two of stock of some kind and let that cook for another 2-3 hours on low. If you had some frozen peas to dump in during the last half hour or so that would be good too.

At this point with a decent meat selection and a crock pot I'd just start reading through recipes and then playing around with what fits your restrictions. Overall you're probably going to enjoy most of the things you make and find ways to improve them as you go.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Those of you stuck inside due to snow, what's your all-day delicious meal plan? I spent yesterday making chicken stock. I don't have anything in the house that would be good with a long cook so it might be a bread-making kind of day.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

endlessmonotony posted:

Ok, looking over that site you linked and there is definitely some stuff you can do. First lets make a list:

1) Some of the pre-chopped stew meat from that site.
2) Some of this coarse sea salt.
3) Some ground pepper.
4) Some Canola Oil or other cooking oil.
5) Some frozen, chopped onion.
6) Some of these pre-chopped and peeled root vegetables.
7) Some stock cubes, canned stock would be better but this will work, if you can find something better feel free to use it instead.

Ok, assuming you have an oven with a broiler: Take the chopped stew meat and add a generous amount of the sea salt, like a heaping spoonful or so and mix it up to get the salt distributed throughout the meat, then add a couple spoonfuls of oil, enough to coat the meat, and mix it again. Put the meat in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil and broil it on high heat in the oven, keep an eye on it and turn off the heat once it's browned. Let it cool and take it out of the oven once it is safe for you to do so. If you don't have a broiler you can skip the above steps, but add the salt directly to the crock pot later with the other ingredients.

Next you take your frozen, chopped onion, the other pre-chopped and peeled vegetables, a couple stock cubes, the beef, and a couple pinches of pepper and the salt if you did not add it to the beef earlier and add them all to the crock pot. Add some water, enough to cover all but the last inch or two centimeters of the mixture in the crock pot. Cover the pot and set to cook on low for two to three hours and you should have a nice beef stew. Other good things to add would be Thyme, Rosemary and garlic powder, a teaspoon of each would be good.

Anyway, good luck, I hope it turns out well! :)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

detectivemonkey posted:

Those of you stuck inside due to snow, what's your all-day delicious meal plan? I spent yesterday making chicken stock. I don't have anything in the house that would be good with a long cook so it might be a bread-making kind of day.

I am braising a pork butt. Cold enough outside that I don't mind the oven being on (low) all day.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

I don't see why those meats are a problem; it looks like there's a good selection of already-cut meat in perfect stew cubes. Is it the cost?

That Works has your answer; cubes of beef and chopped root vegetables are basically the core of a beef stew so you should be good to go. Cook the beef in some water for a few hours, then add the vegetables for another few. If you need to you can add the vegetables at the start, they just might get mushy since they require less cook time than the beef. Season with salt and pepper until it tastes good. You can also put in a handful of rice or barley at the beginning. Be aware that grains like that will soak up lots of water and expand a lot, so at the beginning, it should look like a huge amount of water and a small amount of grain.

Also, thank you for coming back and giving us an update, we're happy to help.

e: also the recipe from AVeryLargeRadish.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jan 23, 2016

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

endlessmonotony posted:

That looks like a good variety! You only linked the beef, but if you also have the available pork products, pork shoulder would work well, too. Most meat that cooks for a long time in the slow cooker is not only good for you for slow-cooker purposes, but also because they won't require a knife. If you make a pork shoulder, you can just throw in the pork shoulder and then when it's done you can pull it apart with a fork. You could probably do the same thing with chicken thighs (although I haven't so someone else can speak to that).

On the beef side, short ribs would work for this, as would chuck roast.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

endlessmonotony posted:

Oh, if you get bored with beef and potatoes, don't forget the jook/congee thread, rice porridge with basically any other add-on ingredients.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030
You should be able to get some inspiration there that will work with the ingredients you can conveniently get. I don't know if canned chicken is readily available where you are, but it's really handy for congee since you don't have to deal with the sanitary or carving issues of fresh chicken.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 23, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Well, that's one recipe to try. Yeah, I have access to most things on Foodie.fi... when I have family assistance for the trip. And they have what I need in stock that day.

So probably next month. Also, anyone navigating that site without knowing the language has my respect, I still remember the last time I tried to search for "kananrinta".

hogmartin posted:

I don't see why those meats are a problem; it looks like there's a good selection of already-cut meat in perfect stew cubes. Is it the cost?

Yeah, it's mostly the cost and package size - I tend to not be able to eat much at once. Also relates to the previous time I appeared, where people gave me advice not really applicable to my shopping experience, which is mostly "make a list on foodie.fi and have a family member go pick it up".

hogmartin posted:

Oh, if you get bored with beef and potatoes, don't forget the jook/congee thread, rice porridge with basically any other add-on ingredients.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692030
You should be able to get some inspiration there that will work with the ingredients you can conveniently get. I don't know if canned chicken is readily available where you are, but it's really handy for congee since you don't have to deal with the sanitary or carving issues of fresh chicken.

Canned chicken is actually available! And since it can handle long bus trips fine, I can easily enough get some.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

How long is the bus trip?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

spankmeister posted:

How long is the bus trip?

I've not been answering that question for a reason.

Anything that needs to stay cold requires me to get a family member to help.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

detectivemonkey posted:

You could probably do the same thing with chicken thighs (although I haven't so someone else can speak to that).

I can attest to this. I have a tiny crock pot and occasionally do nothing but fill the bottom with an inch of water or so, throw in a potato (one big one, or 2-3 small red/gold ones, cut in half, cut faces down in the water), a couple carrots (cut or broken into reasonable chunks, this can be pretty easily done by hand, or buy precut ones), salt and pepper liberally over the top, throw 1-2 chicken thighs right on top of that, then salt, pepper, and optinally rosemary/thyme/sage/italian herb mix/whatever you can get, really sprinkled over the thighs. Let it cook on medium or high depending on when you want it done, with lid on.

Once it's done, spoon it onto the plate, and if you want gravy, whisk a bit of flour into a bit of water, whisk the mix into the crock pot squeezins, and turn it up to high. A few minutes later, it'll start bubbling, then turn it off, let it cool a tad, and you can spoon it safely over the potatoes and carrots. It'll all be forkable at that point.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

endlessmonotony posted:

Well, that's one recipe to try. Yeah, I have access to most things on Foodie.fi... when I have family assistance for the trip. And they have what I need in stock that day.

So probably next month. Also, anyone navigating that site without knowing the language has my respect, I still remember the last time I tried to search for "kananrinta".

Yeah, it's mostly the cost and package size - I tend to not be able to eat much at once. Also relates to the previous time I appeared, where people gave me advice not really applicable to my shopping experience, which is mostly "make a list on foodie.fi and have a family member go pick it up".

Canned chicken is actually available! And since it can handle long bus trips fine, I can easily enough get some.

Hmmm, if canned and dried stuff is convenient you could get dried beans and some canned pulled pork and make pork and beans, it's easy to make and does well in a crock pot. It also keeps well in the fridge and reheats well in a microwave.

EDIT: Another thought, how hard would it be to get an insulated bag, the type that is used to keep things cold on long trips? If you add some ice everything inside would stay nice and cold so you could get some cheaper fresh meats and freeze them once you get home, once frozen they will last for months before freezer burn starts to become a problem and honestly you can still eat stuff with freezer burn, it just won't taste quite as good. For instance these chicken legs+thighs look pretty cheap compared to the other stuff, if you got like three packs of those and froze them that would give you six meals easy and all you have to do is coat them in some salt, pepper and spices and roast them in the oven until they are done.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 23, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What are some simple ways to season chicken breast? I'm not doing thighs because I started doing a food log and I realized I'm getting about half my calories from fat.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Fat is tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What are some simple ways to season chicken breast? I'm not doing thighs because I started doing a food log and I realized I'm getting about half my calories from fat.

Lemon, rosemary, garlic, salt, black pepper.