Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If Tonio was a JoJo he'd be the best one forever and ever.

Man gently caress that Tonio's an honorary JoJo and he is the best one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

ActionZero posted:

Let's Go Eat Italian Food is perfection on a page. Now that it's over I'm a little sad that I'm never going to be able to experience this for the first time again.

Instead of being sad you should be excited about seeing it animated a few months from now

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Enourmo posted:

Oh to experience peak JoJo again.

There's always the anime watchers.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh no...

Oh god Joseph... This is all an act right?

Someone tell me this is all an act.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't really have a hard and fast "Proper" ranking system when it comes to my favorite Jojo, so instead have this:
  • Jonathan is the best of the Joestars, a hero in the classical sense: an idealized symbol, someone to aspire to. A lot of people like to write him off or rank him low for being a "Boring" goody two-shoes but I consider his role to be one of the most important in the series for a multitude of reasons, chief among them being the mold in which all future Joestars are cast and compared against, and inevitable deviate from. He's the gold standard.
  • Joseph is good but Old Joseph is better. Old Joseph is the best. Oldest Joseph breaks my heart.
  • Jotaro is the most underappreciated Jojo. He's not a deep character or anything but he's got a lot more going on under the hood than most people are willing to acknowledge. Even if he didn't though, I've always been a fan of the serious, stoic character surrounded by lunacy who just keeps on trucking.
  • Josuke is my favorite Jojo, and combines the best aspects of all three Jojos who came before him. He's got Jonathan's heart of gold, Joseph's mischievous streak, and Jotaro's ability to act coolly under pressure. More than a mere amalgamation though, he's still his own character and a believable one at that. Just a good kid with a bad side, but it all works out in the end.
  • Giorno is probably my least favorite Jojo, but I'm basing that off the existing translation which allegedly sucks all the life out of him. I've got a reread of Part 5 planned for when everything's been fixed so we'll see how I feel about him them.
  • Jolyne is the ultimate underdog. She goes through a lot with all the cards stacked against her and weathers it all with an amazing amount of resilience. I'm still kinda mad Araki denied her a proper victory against Pucci.
  • Johnny is the most human Jojo. He's a far more complex character than all his predecessors with a real arc that's satisfying to watch unfold.
I don't rate parts or protagonists until they've finished but thus far Gappy seems "Human" like Johnny.

This is all good and great and you still need to do that Jonathan write up in the anime thread. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ActionZero posted:

Oh no...

Oh god Joseph... This is all an act right?

Someone tell me this is all an act.

joseph is old, yo. he could live a while if he practiced the ripple, but, you know, that involves work.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

i hope jojolion has an italian food arc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

There's always the anime watchers.

give me another group of people whining about how the main character isn't joseph again and the show was better with hamon, yes

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baal posted:

give me another group of people whining about how the main character isn't joseph again and the show was better with hamon, yes

Baal I'll have you know that I was an anime watcher first

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Jotaro will be the new Joseph. "We barely even see Star Platinum!"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I was an OVA watcher first, I wonder if that's even worse

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

dissapointing that anime part 7 wont have the soundtrack it had when i read it, aka the yuru yuri opening on loop forever

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Man, I'm getting some real heavy Jotaro vibe from Kira.

Killer Queen may be the best Stand design in the series, now and forever.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Makes sense. His appearance is a little similar. And he is Holly's son. I wonder why Araki went with naming him Yoshikage Kira.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Baal posted:

hi, i'm an anime watcher and the show wasn't better with hamon, stands are dope

also posting to say that part 7 of jojo's bizarre adventure, steel ball run, the fourth-and-a-half part of jojo's that i have read, is also insanely dope

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

where'd you stop with DIU, alcharagia? Just after Italian Food?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kishibe Rohan's Adventure

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Baal posted:

I have no joke had friends losing their poo poo and getting pissed because part 4 is no longer about "ironic" huge musclemans

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

mr. stefan posted:

I have no joke had friends losing their poo poo and getting pissed because part 4 is no longer about "ironic" huge musclemans

i think they're watching the wrong series if they think anything about it is ironic

alcharagia posted:

Kishibe Rohan's Adventure

you haven't read all of arc 4 yet? drat, you're in for a treat.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Johnny Joestar posted:

you haven't read all of arc 4 yet? drat, you're in for a treat.

my reading order has gone anime > half of part 4 > "actually this is so good i'd rather see the rest animated" > reading the first 3 parts > steel ball run

btw steel ball run is really good

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steel ball run IS really good. also you'll want to hold off on reading jojolion after it because it requires previous knowledge of arc 4 if nothing else. i mean, technically you could still read it if you wanted, but some details wouldn't hold the impact they do for people who have read the rest of the series.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also if you wanted you could go ahead and skip to arcs 5 and 6. technically arcs 4 and 5 are a little disconnected from the 'big' story as a whole and have little to do with 1, 2, 3 and 6, so skipping the rest of 4 for now to see it animated won't make a difference other than that i guess you'll be immediately spoiled as to a couple of characters that definitely end up alive and kicking by the end of arc 4 in the beginning of arc 5. which, really, doesn't matter one bit.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
oh? cool. yeah i'll do that

good-rear end mang

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing to note and something that comes up a lot is that the current complete translation for vento aureo is a little dry and not exactly well done. i mean, it comes off as competent english, but it has very little character to it and sometimes doesn't flow all that well. there's currently a project underway to retranslate it that's going well. the currently crap translation isn't a dealbreaker or anything but it's something to keep in mind, because for now the jojo of arc 5 is low on some lists because he doesn't get properly portrayed. at worst the arc is more jojo's which is always good, and it has some really cool fights. also some questionable story choices here and there, but overall it's a fun arc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Astro Ambulance posted:

dissapointing that anime part 7 wont have the soundtrack it had when i read it, aka the yuru yuri opening on loop forever

Look at this person, doesn't even take the time to listen to each song/band referenced as they come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne5XyG4VrmQ

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
steel ball run is the sickest poo poo

DiNo is the best Dio

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look at this person, doesn't even take the time to listen to each song/band referenced as they come up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne5XyG4VrmQ

It'd be frustrating that Araki provides the songs that loop in your head as you read for you were the songs not extremely good most of the time

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

*vomits*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I do not believe anyone who likes the dub is in any position to judge anime first timers who have caught up on the manga!!!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the exact opposite, how do you feel about that?

How does it make you feel?

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 23, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Not fussed.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i also have opinions

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad we all have opinions.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
My opinion is that Giorno is a bland character with a goofy and unsatisfying stand who has the weakest and most frustrating claim to the Jojo line while being grossly outshone by Bruno and company and no amount of translation rework has or can fix this

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Counterpoint:

He can stuff his whole ear inside his earhole.

Question:

Does that come from Dio or Jonathan?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My opinion is that all who like Jojo are cool, no matter how they first came to it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Forktoss posted:

Counterpoint:

He can stuff his whole ear inside his earhole.

Question:

Does that come from Dio or Jonathan?

Neither, it's a trait he got from his mom

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
My two dads and also my mom, and my stepdad, and my guardian secret dad. Giorno has a lot of parents.

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't rate parts or protagonists until they've finished but thus far Gappy seems "Human" like Johnny.

I would argue Gappy is more human than Johnny, he's two human

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Adlai Stevenson posted:

My opinion is that Giorno is a bland character with a goofy and unsatisfying stand who has the weakest and most frustrating claim to the Jojo line while being grossly outshone by Bruno and company and no amount of translation rework has or can fix this

Out of all of that I'll at least concede that Gold Experience is a Stand I absolutely do not care about

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Out of all of that I'll at least concede that Gold Experience is a Stand I absolutely do not care about

It's remarkable how bland it ends up being, since you'd think Araki would be able to take that concept right to the bank.

I mean it's got its moments, but everyone else seems to have way cooler powers. Guess less is more sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
At least Gold Experience continued the tradition of punching frogs.