Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

david_a posted:

Hey, it's better than him being Spanish-but-really-Egyptian and asking a Frenchman playing a Scotsman what haggis is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uIIY2glaY

I listened to the director commentary for HfRO and McTiernan wanted better shots for stuff like that and the underwater sub/missile effects but was limited by time/money. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, saying it was shot on an iPhone is a little misleading because while they do use the phone as the camera it's still using professional lenses and rigs for everything else.

It still saves a bunch of money, though.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
So did they lose funding? Is that why they are on HBO

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

bows1 posted:

So did they lose funding? Is that why they are on HBO

Basically, yes.

2 fat 4 my lambo
Oct 9, 2003

WEED POOP
SFX question: How did they film this without actually throwing a kid out of a moving van
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPGGfPWWWk&t=258s

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Duck and roll, timmy

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

SFX question: How did they film this without actually throwing a kid out of a moving van

It's a stuntsperson and the stuntsperson is probably female to be shorter and of slighter build. But not even like, all that short, if you look at the legs.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

T2 has some good shots of stuntpeople in place of Edward Furlong, a 12 year old boy playing a 10 year old. Watch the bike chase down the LA river and you'll see a few shots of a 10 year old boy on a dirt bike who appears to have aged 30 years in some shots.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

2 fat 4 my lambo posted:

They probably did just use a short woman, but child stunt doubles do actually exist. I've seen kids permitted to fall off of cantering horses, which is at least as risky as the jump in this clip, if not more.

This shot in particular seems to have been filmed at two different focal lengths, which can cause that "this looks wrong, but I can't put my finger on why" feeling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
For serious though, why can we see the trees through Alec Baldwin's hair?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Snak posted:

For serious though, why can we see the trees through Alec Baldwin's hair?

Matting was still pretty poor well into the 80's and early 90's. Since they didn't go in an literally trace around every hair in his head to make the matte "perfect", they use a fuzzy boundary that followed the general contours of his head, so you end up with areas where the matte is transparent.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Matting was still pretty poor well into the 80's and early 90's. Since they didn't go in an literally trace around every hair in his head to make the matte "perfect", they use a fuzzy boundary that followed the general contours of his head, so you end up with areas where the matte is transparent.

Yeah but, it's not like a little but on the edge of his hair. It's up to his face. A sloppy matte could still look decent if it was close.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, but there are a lot of sloppy mattes out there. Some are so bad they're a hairs breadth away from being partially invisible ghost Obi-Wan quality.

In this case it may have even been a (poor) creative decision. The matte artist thinking "well, you could see the background partially through strands of hair, so I'll just fudge it and make the whole hair area transparent".

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I just watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Who played the singer of Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head on the Gong Show? I didn't know the character's name so the credits were of no help unless I missed him there an on imdb.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Superrodan posted:

I just watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. Who played the singer of Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head on the Gong Show? I didn't know the character's name so the credits were of no help unless I missed him there an on imdb.

No one. That was a clip from the actual Gong Show. You only ever see a vague blurry version of the singer in the background in the movie, some no-name extra miming along with the clip, while the actual old clip is playing on the playback monitors.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

No one. That was a clip from the actual Gong Show. You only ever see a vague blurry version of the singer in the background in the movie, some no-name extra miming along with the clip, while the actual old clip is playing on the playback monitors.

Thanks! I thought it looked kind of like Jason Mewes in a wig and was possibly the weirdest cameo ever. Also, I just went back to watch it and they said the name of the guy really clearly, "Mick Donnelly" so I probably could have googled it myself. Sorry about that.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 24, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

T2 has some good shots of stuntpeople in place of Edward Furlong, a 12 year old boy playing a 10 year old.

Wow, he was only 12? That dude had some chops (although it's been a while since I've seen it and my be getting confused with his American History X performance)

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

xcore posted:

Wow, he was only 12? That dude had some chops (although it's been a while since I've seen it and my be getting confused with his American History X performance)

Well turns out it was 13 through 14, not 12, but still pretty young.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, but there are a lot of sloppy mattes out there. Some are so bad they're a hairs breadth away from being partially invisible ghost Obi-Wan quality.

In this case it may have even been a (poor) creative decision. The matte artist thinking "well, you could see the background partially through strands of hair, so I'll just fudge it and make the whole hair area transparent".

Actually, the transparency artifact is from reducing the opacity of the foreground element to make matte seams less visible. This technique was used during the Hoth scenes in The Empire Strikes Back. You'd occasionally see through the X-wing dashboards at high contrast areas (black on foreground, white on background). This is also a problem in a few shots in the Toontown scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit where you can see through Eddie Valiant's jacket.

If the shots had been lit properly, it wouldn't be anywhere near as obvious.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What are some colored actors that could have been played in Gods of Egypt but didn't because Hollywood is full of idiots? I already know I am going to have this conversation with my cinephile friend and I'd like to be prepared to his likely answer.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

What are some colored actors that could have been played in Gods of Egypt but didn't because Hollywood is full of idiots? I already know I am going to have this conversation with my cinephile friend and I'd like to be prepared to his likely answer.

This is a pretty funny question

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well Chadwick Boseman is the in the film and he's African American and Egypt is in Africa so that's close enough, right???

Edit: serious answer, Omar Sharif is the only actor who is actually Egyptian who I could name off the top of my head and he died last year.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

paradoxGentleman posted:

You may not realize this but there are like ten billion actors in Los Angeles desperate for work, many of them "colored," as you put it. They all work as waiters or w hatever but they'd literally drop everything for a chance to star in a blockbuster.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I mean we all came from Africa originally, aren't we all truly coloured??

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You may not realize this but there are like ten billion actors in Los Angeles desperate for work, many of them "colored," as you put it. They all work as waiters or w hatever but they'd literally drop everything for a chance to star in a blockbuster.

Uh, when you put it like this it sounds rather obvious. Thank you. (Is colored not the preferred nomenclature? I wanted to include both African American and all the various brown-skinned ethnicities.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You may not realize this but there are like ten billion actors in Los Angeles desperate for work, many of them "colored," as you put it.

Unfortunately for those guys in LA the movie was filmed in Australia, which is why it's choc-a-block full of Australian actors like Bruce Spence and Geoffrey Rush and Bryan Brown in minor roles.
"Strewth, welcome to Ancient Egypt ya flamin' galah! Chuck another scarab beetle on the barbie!"

paradoxGentleman posted:

Uh, when you put it like this it sounds rather obvious. Thank you. (Is colored not the preferred nomenclature? I wanted to include both African American and all the various brown-skinned ethnicities.)

Also the Egyptian Coptic ethnicity is a pretty small subsection of the 'colored' category. Arabic/Middle Eastern would probably be the next closest ethnicity but I'm sure there's people who would argue that point.
Racial background in Ancient Egypt is actually a pretty complicated topic, we've had the discussion elsewhere in CD before.

We've got a fair few expat Egyptians here in Australia but I have no idea how many of them are working as actors up in NSW ...

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the Egyptian Coptic ethnicity is a pretty small subsection of the 'colored' category. Arabic/Middle Eastern would probably be the next closest ethnicity but I'm sure there's people who would argue that point.
Racial background in Ancient Egypt is actually a pretty complicated topic, we've had the discussion elsewhere in CD before.

We've got a fair few expat Egyptians here in Australia but I have no idea how many of them are working as actors up in NSW ...

I don't suppose you could point me to where that discussion has taken place? I'd like to learn a bit more about it and wouldn't want to bother everyone by retreading old ground.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The Egyptians were pretty metropolitan and multi-ethnic, but they saw themselves as neither Levantine, nor "Libyan" or "Nubian". They were also invaded by anyone and everyone who could sail or cross the Sahara at one point or another.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

paradoxGentleman posted:

The answer is always Cliff Curtis.

Always.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Slugworth posted:

Always.

Has there ever been a movie where Ben Kingsley and Cliff Curtis played father and son? There should be.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't suppose you could point me to where that discussion has taken place? I'd like to learn a bit more about it and wouldn't want to bother everyone by retreading old ground.

I had a good hard look but I couldn't find it. :(

Slugworth posted:

Always.

Since they were filming in Australia it would have even been pretty much local for him.
Fans of Cliff should check out this interview about his childhood if they haven't already seen it, but be warned that it's pretty loving depressing in places. He had a really fuckin' lovely life when he was a kid.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

paradoxGentleman posted:

"People of color"

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
People who ain't white.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!
(Alexander) Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi should get more work in general.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"Colored people" lmao, also there's tons of awesome actors who aren't white in Hollywood but Black People Are Bad For Business Especially In China so we never see any of them, otherwise that wouldn't even be a question you'd have to ask.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Colored people" lmao, also there's tons of awesome actors who aren't white in Hollywood but Black People Are Bad For Business Especially In China so we never see any of them, otherwise that wouldn't even be a question you'd have to ask.

Yeah, I'm sure the dastardly Chinese are the reason why we've never had a lot of black leads.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

computer parts posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the dastardly Chinese are the reason why we've never had a lot of black leads.
Check out the mainland Chinese poster for The Force Awakens (2015).

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

SubG posted:

Check out the mainland Chinese poster for The Force Awakens (2015).

Oh, right. Is it racist to call Chinese people for the most part racist?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Yeah! Where's Chewie!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Why is Kylo Ren so prominent then?!