Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm 21, and yeah I've lived in... LA, Baltimore, and NYC. Woo cities.

All I know about the weather is what said friend said about it being pretty hot, though she said it's better than australia so that's still consistent. I guess having lived in LA I just naturally assumed 'pretty hot' means 'i'm probably gonna die if i stay outside for more than a few hours'

Edit: Note I am not actually planning to move to NZ right away, but yeah it's an interesting sounding place.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

You might die but that would be later from skin cancer thanks to the lack of an ozone layer. It's not really that hot even in summer.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Temperature wise you're really looking at a general high of 80 Fahrenheit in summer. New Zealanders will complain it's cold at 55 for winter. It is really comfortable, to the degree that the extreme ends of both are exacerbated by almost no pre-2010 house/complex having central heating or air conditioning because you can "just put a jumper on if you're cold".

It never gets close to the time in Australia where I literally laid down outside in the shade and waited for night or death because the was no air con where I was staying.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, if you've lived in NY and LA you've experienced temps way more extreme than nz can offer.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Laverna posted:

Hot as balls? Sure you're not thinking of australia there?

Australia is hotter, sure, but I'd rather be in 35° in Melbourne than 25° in Auckland, due to the humidity and massive loving hole in the ozone layer that makes the sun here oppressive as gently caress and prohibits you from being in it directly for more than 10 minutes at a time, lest your skin peel off.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

NZ is much smaller and remote. Don't go if you like to travel, its like a 10 hour flight minimum from everywhere other than Australia or the Pacific islands. Also consider that it's very small, maybe think whether you'd be happy to live exclusively in a single state of the US if it were that far from everywhere else.

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Australia is hotter, sure, but I'd rather be in 35° in Melbourne than 25° in Auckland, due to the humidity and massive loving hole in the ozone layer that makes the sun here oppressive as gently caress and prohibits you from being in it directly for more than 10 minutes at a time, lest your skin peel off.

Aussie sun isn't much better tbh

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

fong posted:

Also consider that it's very small, maybe think whether you'd be happy to live exclusively in a single state of the US if it were that far from everywhere else.

Diverse landscape tho

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

fong posted:

NZ is much smaller and remote. Don't go if you like to travel, its like a 10 hour flight minimum from everywhere other than Australia or the Pacific islands. Also consider that it's very small, maybe think whether you'd be happy to live exclusively in a single state of the US if it were that far from everywhere else.

Aussie sun isn't much better tbh

My sister just came here from perth yesterday and she said it's definitely worse here, everything feels clammy and sticky. Also apparently auckland smells funny.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Exclamation Marx posted:

Diverse landscape tho
With rivers to die from.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Auckland is v humid but not terribly so IMO. You do need sunblock if you plan to spend more than 10 minutes outside in summer though.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

KittyEmpress posted:

All I know about the weather is what said friend said about it being pretty hot, though she said it's better than australia so that's still consistent. I guess having lived in LA I just naturally assumed 'pretty hot' means 'i'm probably gonna die if i stay outside for more than a few hours'

Edit: Note I am not actually planning to move to NZ right away, but yeah it's an interesting sounding place.

If you've lived in NYC and like city life for the love of god don't move to NZ ever.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If you've lived in NYC and like city life for the love of god don't move to NZ ever.

Depends what you like about a city. Auckland has world class cafes and restaurants and some amazing beaches and scenery, but not a world class cultural scene or transport system. Also not the same night life, you'll also struggle to find anything at all open after 3am, even clubs.

Yes unironic use of "world class"

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 23, 2016

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

fong posted:

Depends what you like about a city. Auckland has world class cafes and restaurants and some amazing beaches and scenery, but not a world class cultural scene or transport system. Also not the same night life, you'll also struggle to find anything at all open after 3am, even clubs.

Yes unironic use of "world class"

I mean for the amount of money invested in culture in NZ (sweet gently caress all), people are doing some pretty cool things? I really don't enjoy Auckland's nightlife in comparison to Wellington or even post-earthquake Chch, though.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I mean for the amount of money invested in culture in NZ (sweet gently caress all), people are doing some pretty cool things? I really don't enjoy Auckland's nightlife in comparison to Wellington or even post-earthquake Chch, though.

Lol, the only good night life in Auckland is at house parties. And it's 2016.

On the arts and culture front, I highly recommend checking out the Blackbird Ensemble if you get the opportunity.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I more meant pop culture I guess, like NZ has nothing even close to the galleries and museums in NY or LA, and gets very rare visits from only a selection of big name productions or bands/musicians. You're right there are some really cool cultural things going on in NZ, but I feel like you have to be part of the community to be involved in them.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
NZ culture is eating overcooked sausages, drinking until your liver explodes (but only on a Friday and Saturday night, mate), smoking bush weed, beating your partner while/and watching The Ruggers, and complaining about the Bloody Maaries.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

NZ culture is eating overcooked sausages, drinking until your liver explodes (but only on a Friday and Saturday night, mate), smoking bush weed, beating your partner while/and watching The Ruggers, and complaining about the Bloody Maaries.

I mean yeah, but not everyone lives in the city of the future?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

That may be true where you live but in other parts of the country it is different. For instance around here league has a bigger following than union. Also we complain about the bloody Aucklanders.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I mean yeah, but not everyone lives in the city of the future?

The future sucks. At least it's Rotorua/Taupo that are the STD capitals now.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Noxin of Shame posted:

Lol, the only good night life in Auckland is at house parties. And it's 2016.

On the arts and culture front, I highly recommend checking out the Blackbird Ensemble if you get the opportunity.

I'm not into nightlife so what makes drinking in one dark room full of sweaty people with loud music different from the next one

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

If you're 21 and still studying then definitely look into doing an exchange. Come here, burn couches, get wasted and the international fees are still less than college in the US! (apparently)
The true NZ experience!

If you're considering moving here at all then visiting first wouldn't be a bad idea.

Whereabouts does your friend live? The advice we give could vary a lot depending on if she lives in Auckland or Invercargill.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Wellington owns

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Exclamation Marx posted:

Wellington owns

Lol this guy 🌝💨

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

And of course switching between governments not based on who has the best policies or will actually help things but on a vague and capricious idea of giving everyone a turn every now and again.

Seriously, one of my coworkers thought that the Republicans were gonna win the presidency in the USA because "The other guys have had a turn, and I reckon everyone's sick of them at this point."

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lol this guy 🌝💨

Can't beat it on a good day

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Somfin posted:

And of course switching between governments not based on who has the best policies or will actually help things but on a vague and capricious idea of giving everyone a turn every now and again.

Seriously, one of my coworkers thought that the Republicans were gonna win the presidency in the USA because "The other guys have had a turn, and I reckon everyone's sick of them at this point."

That's actually kind of sweet.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Wellington owns

Agreed. When the weather is good, its really good. Then the next day it shits itself for a week pissing down rain and hurricane strength winds. Also, the drivers are straight up cunts to anyone not in a car.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I've lived in Chch, Auckland, London, Melbourne and now Welly.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Wellington owns

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Exclamation Marx posted:

Can't beat it on a good day

What about the other 364, mate.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Somfin posted:

I used to work with people who voted John Key in (the first time) for literally that same reason.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

WarpedNaba posted:

What about the other 364, mate.

Weeping.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Wellington is city built for people rather than cars. Auckland is really underdeveloped in the CBD, to the extent that any road that isn't one of the main streets (Queen, High, Karangahape) is really dreary and horrible to walk along. The University is right next to a four-lane highway that you have to cross to get the bus. In Wellington the whole city, from Cuba across to the Beehive, is full of interesting cafes and stores even when you turn down side-streets you haven't seen before.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

That's because people in Wellington don't have actual jobs. Y'know, ones where punctuality is a thing.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
You think Wellington's bad — since I moved to London, I feel like the world's most diligent worker if I show up before 9:30.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

WarpedNaba posted:

That's because people in Wellington don't have actual jobs. Y'know, ones where punctuality is a thing.

Who the gently caress can't get to work on time in Wellington?

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Wandle Cax posted:

I'm not into nightlife so what makes drinking in one dark room full of sweaty people with loud music different from the next one

Nightlife or no, I bet you there is at least one sweaty person in the room that you're in right now.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Who the gently caress can't get to work on time in Wellington?

Nobody, but that never stopped 'em.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Lancelot posted:

Wellington is city built for people rather than cars. Auckland is really underdeveloped in the CBD, to the extent that any road that isn't one of the main streets (Queen, High, Karangahape) is really dreary and horrible to walk along. The University is right next to a four-lane highway that you have to cross to get the bus. In Wellington the whole city, from Cuba across to the Beehive, is full of interesting cafes and stores even when you turn down side-streets you haven't seen before.

Dunedin also- a city on the smaller of all possible scales of cities- is deeply concentrated and friendly to walk amongst the gothic aesthetic and old buildings. Parking is terrible because its so concentrated. The bus services are hit and miss with few lines considered particularly reliable and on time.

Takes 10-15 minutes drive to get anywhere/out of the city. When I am old enough with some kind of capital to own a home with actual modern insulation and HVAC and some kind of continuing work/thing to keep me busy in Dunedin, I am heading back.

Cynical part of my brain things Dunedin/ Otago will be a good place of the world to be as climate change rolls on, even though South Dunedin built on reclaimed land and with our most vulnerable population is in for a rough time :\

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
For some reason computer posted twice.

Anyways- I am going to a Bernie Sanders volunteer event in Atlanta tonight, will try and post some pics folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Jacobin posted:

Dunedin also- a city on the smaller of all possible scales of cities- is deeply concentrated and friendly to walk amongst the gothic aesthetic and old buildings. Parking is terrible because its so concentrated. The bus services are hit and miss with few lines considered particularly reliable and on time.

Takes 10-15 minutes drive to get anywhere/out of the city. When I am old enough with some kind of capital to own a home with actual modern insulation and HVAC and some kind of continuing work/thing to keep me busy in Dunedin, I am heading back.

Cynical part of my brain things Dunedin/ Otago will be a good place of the world to be as climate change rolls on, even though South Dunedin built on reclaimed land and with our most vulnerable population is in for a rough time :\

Hey, Dunedin's where I'm at too!

It's pretty tiny, so if you're used to living in big cities you could either love it or hate it. If you love big cities don't ever come here. But if you hate them then come for the fact that you can drive for less than half an hour and be at a beach or a forest or whatever.
I feel kind of claustrophobic living here too long cause of the size, but I travel a fair bit and to be honest whenever I'm overseas I can't help pining for how nice it is to not be constantly surrounded by people.

Again I'd recommend coming as a student. Get a flat in the middle of town with a bunch of other idiots and just have a great time.
If you wanted to come to work then yeah you'd probably be better in Auckland or Wellington, not the best place for jobs.

• Locked thread