Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

In "collect 3 quest items" missions, can I throw out the quest items after getting the mission completed screen to pick up more loot, or does the game immediately fail the mission?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

You do level 3 dungeons with your level 3 guys, even if they don't have fully upgraded gear. Its harder but not impossible.
Echoing this. You'll be grinding for gold/heirlooms endlessly if you won't let your A-team attempt things without being set up ~just so~. I don't see how making sure they have the best possible equipment for their level doesn't lead down a slippery slope where you cure every negative quirk, lock as many good quirks as you can, have the best possible trinkets from the Nomad's Wagon, have all camping skills unlocked, etc. etc. At that point the game becomes a chore, no?

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008
so, i've been playing for about 6+ months or so, long enough to be irritated by the whole corpses thing, but that's not why I'm posting. I can't figure out the point to the Arbalest or the Abomination. The Highwayman can mark and pull and strike, so the Arbalest's mark ability seems redundant and she doesn't really shine on anything else. The Abomination is a decent heavy hitter, but there's already like 3 other classes that can handle front-row duty without causing stress every friggin fight. Basically, i'm a goober, please help me figure out how to use these classes correctly.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I don't know about pro strategies, but I enjoy using the Arbalest with the Bounty Hunter. She marks, she suppresses fire, she benefits from the marks herself. (and Blindfire's great for the panicy "i've been shuffled into the wrong spot, let's pray I don't hit a corpse")

As for the Abomination, he absolutely wrecked the cannon boss by spamming rake every turn.

Lyrax
Aug 17, 2008

Favorite Food: Milksteak
Hobby: Magnets
Dislikes: People's knees

FreeKillB posted:

Echoing this. You'll be grinding for gold/heirlooms endlessly if you won't let your A-team attempt things without being set up ~just so~. I don't see how making sure they have the best possible equipment for their level doesn't lead down a slippery slope where you cure every negative quirk, lock as many good quirks as you can, have the best possible trinkets from the Nomad's Wagon, have all camping skills unlocked, etc. etc. At that point the game becomes a chore, no?

My issue is if you let your main guys do too many runs, you can't make them go for Veteran bosses anymore. The requirement to grind more guys with skills and armour up to that point takes about as much time I'd say as just grinding resources to keep your guys low enough but with better gear/trinkets, with more money going to who you want it to and less guys dying by accident or needing to be fired that you actually care about.

Kaincypher posted:

so, i've been playing for about 6+ months or so, long enough to be irritated by the whole corpses thing, but that's not why I'm posting. I can't figure out the point to the Arbalest or the Abomination. The Highwayman can mark and pull and strike, so the Arbalest's mark ability seems redundant and she doesn't really shine on anything else. The Abomination is a decent heavy hitter, but there's already like 3 other classes that can handle front-row duty without causing stress every friggin fight. Basically, i'm a goober, please help me figure out how to use these classes correctly.

Arbalest is possibly the best attacker to put in rank 4. Not sure how competitive she is for rank 3 but the other ranged attackers generally have front rank hitting melees in that spot as well so she probably doesn't ever belong there. Basically, rank 4 should be an Arbalest unless your dedicated healer or damaging houndmaster can't fit elsewhere.

Abomination is seriously better than any other heavy hitting class damagewise. If you think you can mitigate the stress and the fact you can't bring specific other classes, you will be handsomely rewarded. During the Veteran Hag fight, my Abom must've done over half her health in damage himself. His stun and blight aren't half bad either.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried running position 4 MaA and was severely underwhelmed with it. It was fine up until level 5 dungeons, but then the fact that I had a guy who could literally do nothing but buff and defend held me back too much. That was back when you could have him shield your entire team over multiple turns as well, as opposed to only a single guy.

You do level 3 dungeons with your level 3 guys, even if they don't have fully upgraded gear. Its harder but not impossible.

they get completely smoked every time. i've failed three missions in a row because they just cant quite make it, and i cant really afford to risk much more because they're using my 8 best trinkets every time

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
For the Arbalest try:

4 - Arbalest - Sniper shot / battlefield medic/ anything else
3 - Occultist - Spooky bleed heal / Vulnerability Hex / anything else
2 - Houndmaster - Hound rush / Whistle / blackjack / anything else
1. - Bounty hunter - Collect Bounty / Uppercut / Anything else

Gives you a ton of healing, especially if you take it on the houndmaster. Also gives you 2 pretty reliable stuns, and the ability to mark high health enemies or bosses with either negative dodge or Prot, depending on if you use the Occultist or houndmaster. With three people capable of doing bonus damage to mark, you can murder most high health enemies pretty easy, especially the warrens boss.

For abomb, just murder everything through level 3 with:

4 Occultist - heals / anything
3 - jester - Stress heal / battle buff / slice a face
2- Abomb - This guy can stay human form unless the fight is medium or hard, just whip people with chains forever.
1- Abomb - Transform for most fights.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Arbalest is pretty much just a ranged Bounty Hunter with a heal hth

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I missed it. Why DOES the game call that class a leper? He's not rotting from a horrible disease!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Verviticus posted:

they get completely smoked every time. i've failed three missions in a row because they just cant quite make it, and i cant really afford to risk much more because they're using my 8 best trinkets every time

Huh, I didn't have that kind of issue but maybe that's because I did all of my early missions in the Warrens/Weald and left my stagecoach at base for a while. I think that level 2 blacksmith and level 3 guild was good enough for my guys to start out with Veteran dungeons, and things were quite comfortable with a mix of level 3 and level 4 skills and level 3 equipment, which is far from the maximum possible for the level. Mind you, I still don't have enough deeds to be at my comfort level for Champion dungeons, though.

Maybe try to focus on the easier veteran dungeons? Short exploration tends to be the easiest for me since if you go in with enough scouting you can avoid an encounter or two.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tyrone Biggums posted:

Arbalest is pretty much just a ranged Bounty Hunter with a heal hth

Arbalest does way less damage and has 0 stuns instead of 2 different awesome stuns, so no, she isn't.

At thus point Arbalest is honestly probably one of the worst classes not named Jester or Leper, but still does ok by virtue of the fact that you have limited options for slot 4 and none of them are powerhouses.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just had two bad runs in a row; one on purpose, kinda, the other by accident-ish.

For the first expedition I threw together three stressed out adventurers with a ton of negative quirks and a Leper fresh off the stagecoach. A bunch of my actually good guys were in rehab or undergoing treatment, so I figured I'd just send out a suicide squad with zero provisions, call them back so as they hauled in some loot. Well they took a wrong turn and ran right into a Shambler who ground them into mincemeat. Didn't summon him or anything, he was just there. When I tried to retreat the last guy standing - the Leper oddly enough - dropped dead. Welp.

So for my second run I threw together a pro team of marksmen: Grave Digger, Hound Master, Abomination, Bounty Hunter. Marking, bleeding, stunning, blighting. I'd used all these guys before and pretty much considered them my A Team. So good were they that I didn't even sweat it when the Collector showed up - whom they'd actually beaten before with minimal fuss. Well I guess he remembered that cause he summoned two highwayheads with a headstal to heal them and those two dismals proceeded to score two 25+ damage critical attacks in a row killing two of my guys outright via bleed damage the turn after. A third died soon after and only the Abomination lived to tell the tale, though since he was ultimately victorious he scored some good loot. Recalled him immediately and discovered he's now a kleptomaniac.

I know you wanna focus on the Collector's heads before the big man himself but geez, those crits. :cthulhu:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Speedball posted:

I missed it. Why DOES the game call that class a leper? He's not rotting from a horrible disease!

As a matter of fact, he is! His camp skills reference that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hunger why. Hunger why do you always show up right after I run out of food from a previous hunger.

gently caress hunger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

He is, actually. The terrible accuracy is because he's going blind and his damage soaking abilities are because he doesn't really feel pain.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Speedball posted:

Google King Baldwin.

Night10194 posted:

Hunger why. Hunger why do you always show up right after I run out of food from a previous hunger.

gently caress hunger.
One time I had a hunger event immediately following a (late) camp where I'd used up all my remaining food with only like a room or two left.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Gabriel Pope posted:

He is, actually. The terrible accuracy is because he's going blind and his damage soaking abilities are because he doesn't really feel pain.

Huh. Talk about lemons into lemonade.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
It's almost like it's a good idea to save four food no matter what, just like it's a good idea to have at least one shovel if there are any necessary passages that are unscouted. I've passed up on camping just to save on food. (luckily i think i found some later). Better a 2-food camp or even no camp at all than taking the hit from being unprepared for hunger. If you have invested at all about your adventurers, you should always round up in bringing food. All of my recent champion dungeon runs I've bought ALL THE FOOD.

Taking this kind of attitude is why I always have to start discarding stuff in medium+ dungeons, but provisions are super-cheap compared to fixing stress quickly, or replacing non-scrub heroes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Verviticus posted:

Even a failed run can still turn a profit. Just by looting stuff in level 3 dungeons you can make money even if you can't complete the actual mission. When you run away you keep whatever treasure you've found, so its not like a failed run is a total wash unless you have to bail in like the first room. As for risking trinkets, I highly doubt you've found enough trinkets that have a huge enough impact for that to be reasonable fear. Trinkets are nice but most of the really good ones can't be acquired until later on unless you get absurdly lucky. If you're really worried about losing them, you could always just not bring them.

I found the step up to level 3 dungeons to be difficult, but you can do it. Its way harder than what has come before but you shouldn't view it as impossible. Besides, getting a ton of deeds in early dungeons won't help if you don't have the gold to upgrade all your heroes anyways. Upgrading gets ridiculously expensive.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

widespread posted:

I kinda wish there was an affliction called Mega Kleptomania or similar where they will use the items needed... but it's always the worse ones. (IE, torch to books, shovel to display, torch to shambler altar)

"Death Wish." :v:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Sniper shot might be the strongest vs mark ability in the game for general use. You get up to +100% and +17% crit at max level, and can hit slot 2/3/4. The other guys get a +specific race damage bonus and less damage/crit against others. The difference between her and bounty hunter is basically he gets a stun and a pull, and she gets a heal and clear stun/mark.

In terms of a mark party, an arb-occ-hound/bounty-hellion is better than taking hound AND bounty. Too many guys trying to take advantage of marking tends to be less good than just grabbing a solid all-rounder damage guy. Boss might die slightly slower but the fight to get there is a lot nicer.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

fun fact! leprosy doesnt make you rot. while it can be disfiguring, more often than not it is as minor as a numb spot on your ankle or knee, because the bacillus likes places close to the skin. much of the damage it causes is due to its victims not realizing that theyre accumulating injuries to the spot it is afflicting. a stone in the shoe of someone suffering from leprosy may go unnoticed until it has worked its way into their foot.

its also very, very difficult to contract leprosy. you have to either be extremely unlucky and in close contact with a carrier over a long period, or be trying to catch it. its, in truth, a fairly laid-back disease,

our dear, mediocre friend Baudouin the Leper is merely someone who rolled a few too many ones on his cosmic dice. poor guy.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 23, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

centaurtainment posted:

Why do people on here hate the Jester so much?

pictured: the jester in a fight with bandits

Legacyspy
Oct 25, 2008
Arbalests are very misleading at level 1. I had the same impression of them as some of the posters here, not very good. However once they hit level 2 they started one hitting back-row enemies which made them much, much better.

My strongest party right now is Arbalest,Arbalest,Houndmaster,Bounty Hunter.

The houndmaster just spams guard on the the BH to protect the BH from front line enemies and wear's evasion trinkets (40 base evasion right).
Whichever of the arbalests or BH go first, mark a back row enemy. Other 2 kill them. Generally the enemy back row gets at best one action.
Then the arbalests & BH kill the position 2 enemy. Then the BH Kills the position one enemy while the arbalests heal everyone to full.

You could probably drop any tank into the houndmaster spot, as long as you can protect the BH. I take the houndmaster for the self heals, great evasion, and most importantly the +surprise camping skill. Surprising is really usefull as arbalests have low speed so its hard to move before the enemy back line, but significantly stronger when you do.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The arbalests and their low speed is brutal. Especially now with the camp changes so they can't even get +2 speed for the whole run.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The Necromancer is so much easier than the other bosses it's not even funny. Even the cannon boss makes the Necromancer look like a chump.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
He ain't easier than the siren. One holy water per party member means she's useless for the first three turns of the fight

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Doctor Schnabel posted:

He ain't easier than the siren. One holy water per party member means she's useless for the first three turns of the fight

That's actually a neat trick, I'll keep that in mind. thanks.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Baer's latest foray into the Darkest Dungeon sums up the Leper pretty well (Even though Baer still makes a lot of mistakes, such as attacking when he doesn't have to rather than healing up for the long haul)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6Dz_xwtD0

While he was able to do damage in the front row, the moment they met the Shuffling Horror, the Leper became a massive Liability, bounced around endlessly with no real way to fight or move back into position until he was eventually killed.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I like how the shuffling horror is named that not because it moves in a shuffling fashion, but because it shuffles your party.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
How or where do you find secret rooms ??

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Arbalest isn't as bad as you think. She gets a really nice self-buff, Bola does 50% damage to 2 targets which is probably one of the most forgiving AoE attacks in the game (plus it pushes them back).

Low speed isn't a huge problem; you tend to want somebody else like an Occultist to mark a target for you before you shoot it, particularly tough monsters/bosses.

Doing 56 damage crits in the 4th position is nothing to sneeze at.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Darth Windu posted:

boost your scouting chance a lot

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Darth Windu posted:

Press "up" when you're on map portions marked with a black star. You only find these black stars if your party does the scout ahead thing that makes the map fill up ahead of you.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Ugh, the latest hotfix makes the sound lag and repeat.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

FreeKillB posted:

A chore? No.

This is what I'll do. I'll grind the gently caress out of low level dungeons, keep healing every stupid quirk and capriciously reinforcing the positive ones, amassing gold until I have at least two fully pimped parties that will steamroll anything anywhere.

Well at least I hope the game will allow me to do that, haven't played enough to know! :)

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Periodiko posted:

It doesn't make you lazy, you just aren't playing a good version of the game. If you want your back-rank abilities/strikers to suck, okay I guess.

If evaporating the enemy's back two ranks with a round one graverobber lunge train is wrong, I don't ever want to be right.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Kawabata posted:

A chore? No.

This is what I'll do. I'll grind the gently caress out of low level dungeons, keep healing every stupid quirk and capriciously reinforcing the positive ones, amassing gold until I have at least two fully pimped parties that will steamroll anything anywhere.

Well at least I hope the game will allow me to do that, haven't played enough to know! :)

Well first of all, you'll need at least four pimped-out parties, in the very end. 16 people.

Grinding quite as you put it is only doable to an extent-as level rises, higher-level characters will refuse missions to areas that are 'beneath them'.

And even with the best possible stuff(There are multiple candidates for that category depending on what you're doing, mind you), this does not 100% guarantee steamrolling. Easier, yes. But chance can still make you scream. This may cause problems, but is necessary to the general tone of the thing. Whether you agree with that is something only you can decide. I mean, just now, on release, the makers hit long-running strategies concerning both characters(Crusader Holy Lance) and camp buffs(Now they're temporary only) hard. They may change things again in the future. They do keep an eye on things.

...It will be interesting to see/hear how many people even try the New Game+ with it's various restrictions and how many actually succeed.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 23, 2016

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Speedball posted:

Huh. Talk about lemons into lemonade.
Just to add to the info about the Leper: the background comic on the Darkest Dungeon website pretty much confirms this. Apparently he's also a king or high ranking noble.

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/media/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Onmi posted:

Baer's latest foray into the Darkest Dungeon sums up the Leper pretty well (Even though Baer still makes a lot of mistakes, such as attacking when he doesn't have to rather than healing up for the long haul)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc6Dz_xwtD0

While he was able to do damage in the front row, the moment they met the Shuffling Horror, the Leper became a massive Liability, bounced around endlessly with no real way to fight or move back into position until he was eventually killed.

Oh hey someone who managed to do worse than me on that mission :buddy: