Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

rabidsquid posted:

One of the biggest problems with Nissa, and other cards like Ancestral Recall, is that you can only have 1-4 of them in your deck, legally.

150 shadowborn apostle, 4 griselbrand, 75 swamps, 24 BU duals, 4 battle of wits

E: forgot runescarred demon or whatever it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

GeneX posted:

He's also right about twin

Twin can get hosed.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

The Shortest Path posted:

Twin can get hosed.

A very well-reasoned argument indeed.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

So the first person I played against, I hosed up the timing on the first two rounds and lost horribly. The third I also lost horribly, but not for lack of trying. The second had no idea what I was running until I had 39 cards in my hand and three Reliquary Towers on the field. Absolutely stomped him the first game, then he added in some counterspells and trashed me. Third guy again had no idea what the hell I was doing, he was running a Merfolk deck. I stomped him the first game, never giving him a hint as to what I was doing. On his score sheet he wrote down "What the gently caress?" as my deck name. I lost handily the second game, he turned my Reliquary towers into islands and Islandwalked over me. Third one was close as hell, and I lost by one damnpoint of life. Again, Islandwalk killed the gently caress out of me.

Its not a great deck, you get a single game and then the other player adapts almost instantly. But that one game, holy poo poo, the look on their faces when I draw twenty something cards a turn. Worth every goddamn penny.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

anglachel posted:

After Khans rotate, Den Protector, Deathmist Raptor, Hangerback Walker will all be tourney legal. And Oath of Nissa will be a card as well. Crux of Fate will be gone, leaving Languish as the primary black sweeper.

A green/white tokens strategy with Giddeon and Nissa and Den protector and Deathmist raptor to grind it out might be a thing.

The first innistrad set had great yard hate. I hope they bring it back.

It would be useful with processors as well.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The only real problem with Splinter Twin is that you can only run zero of them, instead of the 95-123 any truly good deck requires to have proper redundancy

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This isn't really true. There was like, what, Rest in Peace?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

Ground Seal and Grafdigger's Cage count I think?
E: Ground Seal was actually M13 my bad.

is that good fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 23, 2016

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Rest in Peace was from Ravnica. Innistrad had some really lovely graveyard hate:

Crypt Creeper
Curse of Oblivion
Purify the Grave

I think that's it. These cards are all terribad.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Twin can get hosed.

This is the correct opinion.

rabidsquid posted:

Graveyard shovel
Purify the grave
Thraben heretic
Grafdiggers
Curse of oblivion

Pretty good for a standard hard hate.

Rest in peace was the best hard hate ever made.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 23, 2016

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

A very well-reasoned argument indeed.

A deck that forces your opponent to do essentially nothing after your turn three because you have the power to win on the spot out of an empty board is something that should not exist in modern, and thus can get hosed. Twin has needed a ban for years.

If the metagame is bad after its banning, ban/unban more poo poo.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You can't fix Modern by banning combo. Unless you really love linear aggro/midrange and think Modern is fine

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

A deck that forces your opponent to do essentially nothing after your turn three because you have the power to win on the spot out of an empty board is something that should not exist in modern, and thus can get hosed. Twin has needed a ban for years.

If the metagame is bad after its banning, ban/unban more poo poo.

And the article argued it should stay because it didn't have to sideboard, interactive deck that it is. I think "get hosed" was the appropriate intellectual level to counter on.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

rabidsquid posted:

Rest in Peace was actually in RTR, as was Dryad Militant, another obvious gently caress OFF SNAPCASTER card.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Not really, and I feel like they aren't gonna push Graveyard hate in a set that is incredibly likely to have graveyard based mechanics in it.

Flashback is too strong for our current era of magic apparently, and probably somehow causes Feelbads (they didnt have cards in their hand Uncle Maro! how can they cast duh spells?!) so it's probably gonna be something lovely like Unearth.

I'm sure they will put out SOME kind of Graveyard hate, but I doubt it's gonna be anywhere near as good as stuff that has come prior.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Rest in Peace was actually in RTR, as was Dryad Militant, another obvious gently caress OFF SNAPCASTER card.

Also this [masterpiece/travesty] of flavor text:

They're all about adjusting the previous block's themes in the latest sets. So if new Innistrad is as graveyard-y as old innistrad, we can look forward to good hate in the set after that one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

deftest posted:

They're all about adjusting the previous block's themes in the latest sets. So if new Innistrad is as graveyard-y as old innistrad, we can look forward to good hate in the set after that one.

I'm almost finished with my Ash Zealot/Snapcaster Mage fanfic

anglachel posted:

Not really, and I feel like they aren't gonna push Graveyard hate in a set that is incredibly likely to have graveyard based mechanics in it.

Flashback is too strong for our current era of magic apparently, and probably somehow causes Feelbads (they didnt have cards in their hand Uncle Maro! how can they cast duh spells?!) so it's probably gonna be something lovely like Unearth.

I'm sure they will put out SOME kind of Graveyard hate, but I doubt it's gonna be anywhere near as good as stuff that has come prior.

How much do you want to bet it's Madness?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

deftest posted:

Bad though the flavor text was, I always thought it was a shame it didn't see more play. a 2/2 haste first-strike for two should be playable! Guess double red does that.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bad though the flavor text was, I always thought it was a shame it didn't see more play. a 2/2 haste first-strike for two should be playable! Guess double red does that.

It saw a lot of play in mono-red decks in its Standards. (aggro in INN-RTR, devotion in RTR-THS)

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Ash Zealot's flavor text is almost Very Good; the "Smarter than death?" part is just kinda awkward. They should have cut it and come up with a better verb because you never really hear necromancers boasting about that part of necromancy in particular

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The actual best flavor text:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The actual best flavor text:

This needs a standard reprint.

Also, Simian Spirit Guide.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Eldrazi Abzan looks kinda terrifying on Hareruya.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Eldrazi Abzan looks kinda terrifying on Hareruya.

Link? I was picturing an Abzan CoCo deck with some of the new guys.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Link? I was picturing an Abzan CoCo deck with some of the new guys.

http://www.twitch.tv/hareruya but the match is over

Basically Anafenza + Rhino paired with Matter Reshaper, Thought-Knot and Reality Smasher. Mana seemed fine.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I played Patrick Chapin's all Colourless deck (not including the hangarbacks, sadly, screw those things) to a 4-0 win at my FNM yesterday, the deck is nuts.

Reality Smasher is the real deal, being able to reliably play T4 reality smashers through things like mage ring network, or being able to blank all of their wrath effects with warping wail and the dream of playing Eldrazi Mimic T2 and watch it kill someone just by curving out into Thought Knot Seers and Reality Smashers is pretty great.

The decks cons is it's weakness to going wide, I'm not sure what the deck can do against that, although I beat an atarka red player by having 4 colourless permanents on the board and using 2 tomb of the spirit dragon every end of my turn to gain 8 life. To be fair, he got a bit screwed on green mana but he was not pleased losing to a bulk last pick draft uncommon from khans.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Balon posted:

My Dragon Shield Mattes stick together a lot, but my KMC Hyper Mattes do not. My preference is KMC but I can see how people like Dragon Shields.

If you are making dragon shield mattes sticky you need to wash your loving disgusting hands every once in a while. That is the only way you are making these things sticky.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

If you are making dragon shield mattes sticky you need to wash your loving disgusting hands every once in a while. That is the only way you are making these things sticky.

Tropical humidity also tends to do the trick, you presumptuous rear end.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ramos posted:

(licks off remaining Cheeto dust, wipes hands on faded sweatpants)

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

And the article argued it should stay because it didn't have to sideboard, interactive deck that it is. I think "get hosed" was the appropriate intellectual level to counter on.

The point is not that Twin didn't need to sideboard, it's that you didn't need specific anti-Twin cards in your board in the same way as eg Affinity. It's basically a continuation of his argument that Modern should have 20-card sideboards; I don't know if it's correct, but it's at least consistent.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sarcastro posted:

(licks off remaining Cheeto dust, wipes hands on faded sweatpants)

Please wash your hands instead of licking them next time you touch my quote button. I work hard to keep that thing spotless with goons around.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Ramos posted:

Please wash your hands instead of licking them next time you touch my quote button. I work hard to keep that thing spotless with goons around.

Certainly, good sir! (tips trillby in your direction)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

God drat it.

*sprays the button again with cleaner and rubs it down*

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ramos posted:

God drat it.

*sprays the button again with cleaner and rubs it down*

Hey brother sorry I used all your cleaner, but I replaced it with Mountain Dew. We cool?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Balon posted:

My Dragon Shield Mattes stick together a lot, but my KMC Hyper Mattes do not. My preference is KMC but I can see how people like Dragon Shields.

That's a shame. I hated OG dragon shields because they stuck together and later had sizing problems. I was hoping they were better with the matte version. Stickiness is always a problem with glossy sleeves that mattes never have. How they even hosed that up is beyond me. :psyduck:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

anglachel posted:

They've made multiple good basically flashback cards in the last few sets

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I keep having problems with the Dragon Shield Mattes because they snag on my playmats. I've tried 2 different packs and it so frustrating when your cards randomly snag when you tap or pick them up. I've never had that problem with KMCs and I've gone through multiple cases of those. I have had three KMCs split but that was because cards were facing the wrong way when mash shuffling.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Samael posted:

I played Patrick Chapin's all Colourless deck (not including the hangarbacks, sadly, screw those things) to a 4-0 win at my FNM yesterday, the deck is nuts.

Reality Smasher is the real deal, being able to reliably play T4 reality smashers through things like mage ring network, or being able to blank all of their wrath effects with warping wail and the dream of playing Eldrazi Mimic T2 and watch it kill someone just by curving out into Thought Knot Seers and Reality Smashers is pretty great.

The decks cons is it's weakness to going wide, I'm not sure what the deck can do against that, although I beat an atarka red player by having 4 colourless permanents on the board and using 2 tomb of the spirit dragon every end of my turn to gain 8 life. To be fair, he got a bit screwed on green mana but he was not pleased losing to a bulk last pick draft uncommon from khans.

I like this post. After hating myself to death with Jeskai Black, I wanna find something neat to play and was looking at either this or black/devoid aggro. Unfortunately my FNM got Snowpocalypsed out this week, but I'm gonna try to get this or black done for next week.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

I'd taken some time off of mtgo but hopped into an MD5 draft yesterday with no knowledge of the format, drafted a tire fire of a deck, and lucked into the finals because my opponents were as clueless as me and mulled to 5 more than once. I offered a split to my finals opponent and was told that payouts are now in play points. What's up with that? Have mtgo payouts gotten even worse in my short absence? I know I can google it, and I will, but I like chatting with my goon buddies and hearing their nerdy opinions so I'm posting here too. If this discussion has already been run into the ground a pointer to the thread page would be super rad as well :keke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ramos posted:

Unless you live in the loving rain forest, wash your loving hands and you will be fine.

• Locked thread