Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The crafting poo poo is seriously time-gated since you can't go collect materials on your own or anything, you place an order and then like half an hour later the NPCs have materials or product for you. So probably moderate regret if you put it off, but not crippling regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.
That's kinda lame.

Looks like fishing+herbalism+medicine+talismans is the most solid moneymaker unless literally everyone picks those?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I'd consider pottery + whatever supports pottery since it seems like every other profession needs their stuff to make anything worthwhile and the one time I have looked at the market so far the thing I needed was ludicrously expensive compared to the stuff I needed it for.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For FM's Impact, what the hell does "All Attack and Defense Skills" in the first training point mean?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing as the only pet class that Summoner is the class for soloing? I love their aesthetic, but it's super confusing to me to play as a ranged class in an action game :smith: Do all skills just automatically home in on your target?

I tried out a Blade Dancer for a bit and it felt much more "natural" to me, but soloing and survivability are some of the things I enjoy the most in MMOs. Anyone got similar experiences?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
You can solo as anything, it doesn't matter at all.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Roleplayin'

Your Computer posted:

I'm guessing as the only pet class that Summoner is the class for soloing? I love their aesthetic, but it's super confusing to me to play as a ranged class in an action game :smith: Do all skills just automatically home in on your target?

I tried out a Blade Dancer for a bit and it felt much more "natural" to me, but soloing and survivability are some of the things I enjoy the most in MMOs. Anyone got similar experiences?
Needing to group to level hasn't been a thing since like FF11

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

As of level 20 I'm pretty sure you don't even need to group to do at-level instanced dungeons.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Clairetic posted:

Obviously :v: I'm talking more in general, like content actually meant for 2+ people like dungeons, difficult mobs or w/e. Which reminds me, does this game level-scale dungeons, zones, and/or PvP?

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Your Computer posted:

Obviously :v: I'm talking more in general, like content actually meant for 2+ people like dungeons, difficult mobs or w/e. Which reminds me, does this game level-scale dungeons, zones, and/or PvP?

Honestly, whether or not you can solo technically-non-solo content comes down to your skill as a player (in most instances, some dungeons have bullshit that you're just not going to be able to do). You'll get a warning that dungeon "is not suitable for solo play" or something around that when you enter things that are 2+ people, and I've soloed a very large number of them at level on Destroyer. (which doesn't mean I'm any good, it means that destroyer is a cheesy class. not like overpowered cheesy, just cheesy)

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there a good write up for what each class has in terms of cc and escapes for PvP? I feel like I'm always being blindsided by stuff, and I'm not sure how to play around certain classes.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

soscannonballs posted:

This game seems pretty cool but I have no idea what I am doing. I made a guy on Mushin and got him to like level 10, but then I wanted to try another class and when I went to make him it said there was like a 45 minute queue on that server. Is there a frequent queue on Mushin during primetime? Also, since apparently the guild on Mushin server is full would I be better of going to the other server listed in the OP (Jiwan)? I am also having a hard time deciding what class I want to play, which usually isn't a problem for me. I have tried out Destroyer and Kung Fu Master both to level 10, but Assassin also looks cool. If I wanted to try out the Assassin I would have to delete one of my other guys though since I can only have 2 guys without paying.

Yes, there's queues at prime time. Jiwan is the most popular NA server so that's a bad idea if you want to avoid them.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

Wow, the dungeon finder in this game is next level.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Beat a Destroyer to get into Gold, feels good

Being able to spam a shitload of CC really helps a lot

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm not sure if its my friends playing on the EU server that's harming my ability to play this game, me being dense as gently caress at blade master, or something else, but this isn't grabbing me as much as TERA did at level 20. The combat feels rather schizo, against normal dudes I just like one-two hit them so it doesn't feel like I need to put much effort against them. Bosses are more engaging but I haven't learned how to actually play my class when I fight them so it's all scrambling to learn while on fire. As well, this might be lag, but the mobs feel really busy, I have a hard time reading their tells in time to block in comparison to TERA. If nothing else it makes me want to retry that game. :v:

Also the whole upgrade/key/charm thing is probably less evil than TERA's upgrade poo poo, but I am not a fan of it, it's just a weird system that super reinforces the game as a f2p game.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008

Clairetic posted:

Wow, the dungeon finder in this game is next level.

The dungeon finder is ridiculously cool.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Lemming posted:

Beat a Destroyer to get into Gold, feels good

Being able to spam a shitload of CC really helps a lot

Annoying that you can't use it while doing something else*, though

* dancing naked in town ofc

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

For the person asking about being able to report, I think it might be tied to your level? I'm guessing 15 is probably the level as that's when you can trade, too.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm dissapointed that the bank people dont have voices in this version. I remember that they did have lines in the chinese version.

Speaking of different versions localizations, I'm liking the voices that are there in the English version. Very campy. But anyone found a way to get the chinese voices in this version for the authentic wuxia feeling?

The only voice packs I can find so far are for English, French, German, Japanese and Korean. Maybe there's something about the Chinese version that makes it harder to pull out the files.

I'm sure it was posted in the previous thread earlier on, but if anyone wanted the voices in another language they are here:
https://drive.google.com/folderview...MFFzajNseXdXY3c
(In the SoundPacks folder)

To use those voices, you have to create a folder called 'mods' in '...\BnS\contents\Local\NCWEST\CookedPC\' and then dump the .upk files into the 'mods' folder you've created.

Note that whenever you run the game when doing this the NA/EU version will always complain about some 'ambiguous packages', and will generate one of those messages for every file in the 'mods' folder (which you can skip it all just by holding enter). For some reason NC West hasn't made it not do that yet, since you can already do this in every other version that I know of and not have it spit out those 'ambiguous packages' message. Last I heard was NC West going to look into it in CBT1, but I've heard nothing about it since then.

Edit: I should add that the Japanese, Korean and Chinese versions at the very least has NPCs babbling about random things. It's probably due to budget or they might've not felt the need to do so, but the original English version at least has a ton of that stuff cut out and only given to 'important' NPCs/bosses or replaced with one-liners ("Blocked!"). Using one of those three Asian voices also lets you hear the different names some NPCs and enemies had in their respective versions, and using the Japanese voicepack myself, there's multiple instances where what the NPCs say in Japanese do not match up with the English text at all.

Karistar fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jan 23, 2016

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone give me the lowdown about soul shields and the crafting guild ? I have no idea what im doing with either.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

punakone posted:

Can someone give me the lowdown about soul shields and the crafting guild ? I have no idea what im doing with either.

from what i can tell, soul shields are your gear, since your clothing is just clothing.

no clue about crafting guilds though, haven't reached that far.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

punakone posted:

soul shields are your armor basically. there are 8 wedges. You can't 'rotate' them. They give set bonuses at 3, 5, and 8 pieces (so you can mix 3+5 of two different sets if you like the 3-piece of one set better than the 8-piece of another set).

The Jiangshi ones give you an achievement if you equip all 8 of them so keep killing the jiangshi guy after clearing the area and getting red droplets to spin the wheel for soul shield pieces until you have 8/8. I dunno if there is an achievement for completing any other ones; the blackram set doesn't.

You can salvage soul shield pieces for a chance to get yellow dust which you use to fuse soul shield pieces. Fusing them isn't dependent on the angle of the piece, so e.g. you can fuse a <| piece with a ^ one. The primary piece in the fusion gets a 3rd stat based on the non-hp stat of the fusion material (so fusing a Jiangshi piece with a Blackram Critical piece will add a small crit boost to the jiangshi piece.) By this method you will basically burn through every soul shield piece that you get.

crafting: You get 2 gathering and 2 crafting profs. You want them like this basically:
simpler: pick one of these two builds.
Herbalism+Fishing -> Medicines+Talismans.
Mining+Stonecutting -> Jewelry+Blacksmithing.
pain in the butt: try to juggle these.
Two of Woodcutting+Harvesting+Trapping -> two of Soul Shields + Pottery + Cooking

Gathering and Crafting both work by paying people to do work for you.
You gain new options for gathering by finding it in the world. It's pretty straightforward and tells you where to find them.
You gain new options for crafting by increasing your rep with that crafting guild, which happens by ordering them to do stuff. Also very straightforward.

Someone who knows more than me please correct me if I'm wrong and also let me know if any other sets have collection cheevs.

Clairetic fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I'm dissapointed that the bank people dont have voices in this version. I remember that they did have lines in the chinese version.
Unfortunately, several of them actually do (starting from first town in Cinderlands). Hearing the same line every time you enter X tab gets annoying for me real fast.

Your Computer posted:

You can essentially solo any "dungeon" that isn't a purple portal (Blackram Narrows, etc.). So get gud or bring a friend I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think I might roll Japanese voices. My inner weeabo demands satisfaction.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

HapiMerchant posted:

Gotta wait for 50 before seeing delicious Yura and karate man again

Until then, please enjoy getting your rear end laminated by a tiny, angry pirate princess who brings chainguns, high explosives and loving tigers to a kung fu battle.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Amante posted:

Unfortunately, several of them actually do (starting from first town in Cinderlands). Hearing the same line every time you enter X tab gets annoying for me real fast.

You can essentially solo any "dungeon" that isn't a purple portal (Blackram Narrows, etc.). So get gud or bring a friend I guess.

You can solo those too if you get gudder.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

RPZip posted:

You can solo those too if you get gudder.
As far as I know (which isn't much), you can some... are all soloable though?

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
This game is telling me to go cut myself with the amount of razor blades it's giving me.

VVV Edit: That explains why I can't get back in due to a crash.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 23, 2016

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

The login server seems to be down atm.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah, been down for a half hour. They're looking into it.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
For those online, I think whatever that's happening to the server is also causing problems to the Cross-Server Dungeon, because you can't enter any dungeons through there and can't see announcements, etc.

Edit: If you join the Cross-Server Dungeon and return from there, the game will not put you back into Faction Chat. It's a nice change not to have all that spam for once.

Karistar fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 23, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I ran around and punched dudes, and I figured out my first sin combo and felt cool about it. Good game

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Stalins Moustache posted:

Alright, so I'm actually having a real good time with this game surprisingly enough. The combat is incredibly fun, although I still have a hard time understanding how all the combos and stuff works. So, as a lyn bladedancer, I decided to google a bit and aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :suicide:

Seriously, I know that this other midget dude taught me some combos but I've already forgotten some of them. Now, at level 23, I decided to try some 1v1 arena PvP and I get absolutely obliterated. All my attacks are constantly blocked and parried, it feels like none of my abilities are working correctly at all as nothing seems to hit ( I can stand and face my opponent, clicking left mouse button while I have an electric charge up and the game will bluntly tell me that it doesn't work ), and I'm constantly starved for chi, and the ability descriptions aren't much to help as I'm having issues understanding how they all sync and relate to each other. I tried searching for some guides but those I found I couldn't understand at all. What I really need, I think, is just a simple guide telling me how the combat in the game works in general compared to other tab->target MMOs I'm used to playing like WoW.

How do I block / parry? How do I counter? How and why should I do the combos the tutorial taught me? What benefits will doing these combos give me when there's no clear indication whatsoever that I've done a combo? And so on and so on.

First of all, PvPing at low levels is going to be kind of painful as you're generally lacking the skills and skill points that give your class all the tools it needs. You might want to give yourself some more time in PvE to get more skills/points and get used to the class before you start thinking about going hard on PvP.

A lot of your issues are just a matter of just knowing what your class is capable of, and what OTHER classes are capable of. It takes some work as there's a lot of skill interactions on both sides that you need to get used to, but it's pretty rewarding once you get it down. This is probably the biggest thing that makes BnS similar to fighting games. Hajoon's combo training usually covers some really basic parts of your kit, but for the rest you're just going to have to look elsewhere. It's not always easy to find but there's stuff out there for every class. Check bladeandsouldojo's class forums and see what you can get from there, and check youtube for guides or combo videos for your class so you can get a visual idea of things to combine with what you're reading. Experiment with different builds and look at all the different ways your skills can change depending on how they're specced. Once you've got a good handle on your class then it's time to start looking at OTHER classes and how your matchup is with them so you can understand what to watch for them to do and how to handle it. Sometimes it's even a good idea to just make the class and play it for a bit so you can get a better idea of how they play in general.

I haven't played BD to cap but the main thing they usually need is to have their Vortex (Tab) specced down the tree that gives it a 0.5 sec deflect. This allows you to use your spin often and force your enemy to try and time it so they don't get deflected (basically the same problem you were having against them). Q/E are also useful at close range to move around someone who's blocking the front or to dodge someone's attacks since they give you invulnerability frames. Then you're basically looking for an opening to get some CC off (stun, daze, or knockdown, you'll need to spec your skills for some of this stuff) and then launch them into an air combo (requires stun or daze, then hit F to knock them up and then you have a couple of options with LMB and RMB to keep them in the air) or go into draw stance and spam lightning flash (right tree for flash step, which is F in draw stance with a lightning focus) and LMB (flicker, I think?) on them. Hopefully those names are right, bnstree doesn't use the NA translations for everything. Also, beware that people have CC escapes that they'll use, so you'll probably need to try multiple times to get them to blow their escapes first before you actually get something off on them. Again, a lot of this stuff will require higher levels and skill points to be able to get so you might have to wait a bit.

Anyway, BnSTree is super useful for looking at builds and stuff. It has effect "tags" for each skill so if you're looking for where all your stuns or dazes or whatever are you can just type those terms in the search bar and it will show you all abilities that either have it baseline or could be specced to have them. Most good guides should have a linked build to bnstree so just look at stuff and compare it with videos and in-game, and see if you can derive an understanding of the class from all of that. Good luck! :v:

I guess if I had to summarize what to focus on in general for any class it'd be:
-Know your CC, what types they are, and what skills have it or can be specced to do it
-Know your big damage combos and what setup they need (air combo, draw stance, etc.)
-Know your invulnerability frames and block/counter/deflects, again what skills have it by default or can be specced for it

Then you'll have an idea of how to keep yourself alive (iframes and deflects), how to get the other guy to stand the gently caress still (CC), and how to actually hurt them once they're standing still (damage combos).

cathead fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 23, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blackram critical soul ahield doesn't have its own achievement for completing it but it is part of the collect all viridian coast soul shields achievement.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
What is weed whack? I see it included on a ton of summoner skills and I don't see anything clearly causing weed whack? Not that any skill is even named that as far as I see.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Clairetic posted:

Roleplayin'

yea MMOs, it's all solo play. It's really the biggest irony in the genre currently given its present atmosphere in that it attracts anti-social people for social play. It's also very hard to balance it where you don't want to be over reliant on parties to progress either I suppose. It's kind of why I enjoy dungeon content the most in MMOs, closest to teamplay you can get, even if PUGs are the shittiest.

I miss lobby play like Phantasy Star Online :smith:

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What is weed whack? I see it included on a ton of summoner skills and I don't see anything clearly causing weed whack? Not that any skill is even named that as far as I see.

It's the dot that allows Nettles to be cast. Shows up on the enemy debuff bar as Ivy Poison. Thanks spotty translation!

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
After a couple of hours of seemingly doing nothing at all, NC West finally decided to restart the servers a few minutes ago to try to tackle the login issue (among other things).

Apparently that did nothing, so they restarted the server again, but it's still down.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Dabir posted:

For FM's Impact, what the hell does "All Attack and Defense Skills" in the first training point mean?

So does anyone know what's going on with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Dabir posted:

So does anyone know what's going on with this?

BnSTree translates it as Offensive-Defense, which means a skill that attacks and defends at the same time (since it has a projectile block attached to it). There are specific abilities which can disable Offensive-Defense skills, like Glacial Palm's right tree.

When in doubt, check BnSTree as they have tags for the skills which you can mouseover for an explanation of what it means.

• Locked thread