Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

thathonkey posted:

has anyone posted leisure suit larry yet? i was too young to buy those games when they were popular (that might be a stretch of the word) but i remember somehow I acquired a demo to one but it was just adult humor that i didnt really get when i was really angling for some sweet sweet 32 bit nudity. i think it must have come on a PC Gamer demo disc.

Oh yeah, I meant to post that. It was educational - those questions at the start taught me who Spiro Agnew was.

I liked how LSL 3 had some questions and the number of questions you got wrong affected how much nudity you could see, most notably there was a telescope on the first screen where you could look at some lady's window, and she'd pull her blind down by a different amount before she got undressed. It seemed like pretty amazing technology to me.

ShiroTheSniper posted:

This is a game with ugly rear end FMV but drat I played it often at the computer shop near my house as a teenager.

That reminds me, my parents used to drop me off at Radio Shack when they went shopping and I'd play King's Quest III or IV or something. I suppose whoever was behind the counter was probably too young to give a crap about kids loitering in the store, despite it happening every weekend for who knows how long, probably without my parents buying a single thing.

Is this still a thing that happens in stores?

Sten Freak posted:

My old tower has one of these.

The inputs are great, quarter inch, midi, RCA, optical, but ironically sound of the card itself just got surpassed by more modern cards. It isn't as good as my current on board. Loved the remote too for volume.

I remember thinking: drat, audio jacks on the FRONT of my PC? that'd be pretty handy. Rather than buy this thing, I could probably just get some extension leads going out the back of the case, then back in, drill some holes into a blank plate on the front and glue the jacks in.

Well lucky I didn't waste my time doing that, since I was able to just do nothing for 15 years and then PCs started coming with jacks on the front as standard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

PureEvil6_13 posted:

I still have the animation file on a floppy disk somewhere, but no hopes of ever finding a way to play it again.

No way, you can probably do something like get a KryoFlux (and maybe you also need to get a genuine Amiga 500 drive, but maybe not, I don't know) to copy the disk into some kind of image file that you could load into an Amiga 500 emulator.

Actually I just googled and found a whole list of options: http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/13-118

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's got 4 colors! White, black, light blue, and pink! :buddy:

:eng101: That's cyan and magenta, not light blue and pink.

Let's not forget the other palette that a game could use on CGA: black, red, green and brown :barf:

Killswitch posted:

Also getting the option at startup to choose your colours, CGA (EGA?), Tandy TGA, or VGA. You dont get choice like that these days.

:lol:

For how many years was I forced to hit 5 and wonder what the other options were like before I finally got to hit 1? In fact I probably tried all the other options just in case.

If you were l33t like me you made a .BAT file to pass the command line options so it wouldn't prompt you for that stuff.

Thanks, I think the last time I heard the theme to Monty on the Run, Iraq had just invaded Kuwait.

Thanks to the front page I learned that the intro to Bad Cat is also great.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Anyone remember Chopper Commando? I used to play this game all the time and it was a great CGA game despite how simple it was. Perma-death and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwG7kJf4Ezg (yes, it's a lovely video I made last night after reading this thread)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Buttcoin purse posted:

Thanks to the front page I learned that the intro to Bad Cat is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQnouu_ehs

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Tarkus posted:

Anyone remember Chopper Commando? I used to play this game all the time and it was a great CGA game despite how simple it was. Perma-death and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwG7kJf4Ezg (yes, it's a lovely video I made last night after reading this thread)

Oh man did I ever. Best part was blasting holes in the mountains at the end of the map and then flying into the SECRET AREA which was a message from the programmer.

My dad told me that game was made my a 14 year old kid and it really inspired me to learn to code and make games myself!

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I got as far as drawing a box in visual basic and then quiting forever

Gonzo the Eggman
Apr 15, 2010

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes.
A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

a starwar betamax posted:

I got as far as drawing a box in visual basic and then quiting forever
Does anyone remember Box Commando?

Rumour has it it is a very early precursor to Metal Gear

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Ze3IsbipE

It's a review of Kings Quest on the IBM PCjr. I looked for something on the PCjr because it was meant to have fancier sound, but just look at the weird-rear end box at 0:35 due to IBM publishing the PCjr version. LOL at 1:18 there' s a keyboard template too. It's a cool video, there's a bit of early history of IBM and Sierra On-Line, and how the introduction of the Tandy 1000 and Apple IIc saved Sierra. It turns out that Kings Quest didn't have much sound on PCjr though.

The same guy also has a video demonstrating that a CFL light bulb makes the PCjr think it's receiving keystrokes from its infrared keyboard.

https://youtu.be/cdazuHKWmmk?t=6m41s - Here is the Leisure Suit Larry theme playing on a PCjr, it does seem better than on my PC speaker :)

https://youtu.be/s5a6jKUkjlA?t=4m32s - Alley Cat sounds better too although it's certainly no Bad Cat!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I'm trying to find a Star Trek electronic collectible card game from the late 90s/early 00s. I played the demo over and over again. I think it might have been TNG themed, and it was you against Q. Does anyone else remember it or know where it can be downloaded?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Buttcoin purse posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1Ze3IsbipE

It's a review of Kings Quest on the IBM PCjr. I looked for something on the PCjr because it was meant to have fancier sound, but just look at the weird-rear end box at 0:35 due to IBM publishing the PCjr version. LOL at 1:18 there' s a keyboard template too. It's a cool video, there's a bit of early history of IBM and Sierra On-Line, and how the introduction of the Tandy 1000 and Apple IIc saved Sierra. It turns out that Kings Quest didn't have much sound on PCjr though.

The same guy also has a video demonstrating that a CFL light bulb makes the PCjr think it's receiving keystrokes from its infrared keyboard.
LGR is a great Youtube channel for old computer stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHl0niBxd18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9ywgxbGEZ8

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I remember playing those cyber dreams games.

I even bought darkseed II with a bunch of quarters i saved over the summer, the software etc people were surprised cause they had just gone out to get some change.

I have no mouth and i must scream, was a neat game as well.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

max4me posted:

I have no mouth and i must scream, was a neat game as well.

I didn't play it, but I watched the retsupurae and that was a tough enough challenge for me!

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Buttcoin purse posted:

:eng101: That's cyan and magenta, not light blue and pink.

Let's not forget the other palette that a game could use on CGA: black, red, green and brown :barf:

:lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

They could also intensify all the colors for each palette, making the second palette less ugly as the lighter brown was yellow. There was also a third unofficial palette that could be used with trickery on RGB monitors. It was used in two of the games my parents bought with our first computer: Chuck Yeager's Advanced Flight Trainer and Superstar Indoor Sports (intensified version). The red looks much better than magenta in my opinion.

GI_Clutch has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Jan 24, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Spent so many hours on that Chuck Yeagar sim

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Psh I don't know what are you guys on about, CGA had AMAZING graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRO7lno_DM

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Any mid-nineties Mac gamers around here?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

THEY'RE EVERYWHERE

E: Still vaguely bitter about Bungie. It was the last time I truly cared about anything gaming-related.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
this thread is one

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Don't think I've seen a post about GameFAQs yet. While it still exists it's very much so a product of its time (which is one of the reasons why I still actively browse and post there).

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
gamefaqs is sometimes a great resource when you just need to get unstuck or a basic question about the game answered, as opposed to endless advertisements and other dumbshit videos. I loving hate video guides ughhgh.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I loving hate video guides ughhgh.

Jesus yes. There's god drat nothing worse than Googling "how to do thing in such and such" and having to sitskip through 10-15 minutes of video footage (2-3 minutes of which are useless title cards and introductory nonsense nobody gives two shits about) for something better explained in three bullet points that I can read/do in 5 seconds.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Buttcoin purse posted:

I remember reading an update log for DOSBox (or maybe it was a random thread on VOGONS) about CGA version of Frogger that thanks to some trickery the water passage had the fifth colour - blue.

pepito sanchez
Apr 3, 2004
I'm not mexican
i almost forgot about this:

sega attached to a segaCD with a mounted sega 32x

i only had the first two as a kid thinking it would be great. turned out to have a pretty bad selection of games. like yeah, you had cds now instead of cartridges, but it still looked and felt like they were only holding 10mb of data tops.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

pepito sanchez posted:

i only had the first two as a kid thinking it would be great. turned out to have a pretty bad selection of games. like yeah, you had cds now instead of cartridges, but it still looked and felt like they were only holding 10mb of data tops.

:allears: Sega's peripheral-happy period got pretty insane in the end. It didn't help that there were multiple designs of the SMS and MS/Genesis (and I think even a combo console) available. I was a Nintendo kid growing up and my parents begrudgingly agreed to get me extra games and gimmicks for birthdays and Christmas. They do not know how lucky they were.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
Speaking of Old Computers, I decided to visit my parents today and dug through my old Computer stuff in the attic. Holy moly, I had forgotten my parents still had this old beast along with some of my old RPG's.

Some of these were probably last played in 1988-89 when we bought a gateway 386/DX which blazed at 16 Mhz.

It's sad because I can't find the PSU for the IIc, and despite me owning an 8-bit Atari 130XE and drive for that machine, I can't find it anywhere. I think my parents tossed it years ago, even though they still have the gateway 2000 from the 90's. up there that probably is running win 3.1. I clearly remember copying programs to a spiral bound notebook from byte magazines I borrowed from my friend and having to enter them because I didn't have a disk drive to save them on.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

God Sega really dropped the ball post-Genesis didn't they?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

fuckingtest posted:

Speaking of Old Computers, I decided to visit my parents today and dug through my old Computer stuff in the attic. Holy moly, I had forgotten my parents still had this old beast along with some of my old RPG's.

Wasteland easily has one of the greatest boxarts ever created. I never did play a lot of PC games as a kid but I probably wouldn't waste any time begging my folks for that if I ever saw it. I still have never played it, nor it's recent sequel, but I did end up a big Fallout fan so it probably would have been right up my alley.

Edit: Now that I think about it I hated RPGs as a child., so I probably would have thought Wasteland was hot garbage. Excellent boxart though!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

pepito sanchez posted:

$649 if some dumb parent bought all that at launch price, or about $1100 today.

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
I pulled out some other stuff from my parents attic...Did I mention the Commodore 64 stuff?

Like this gem:

I read like 25 pages of this book when I was 9, and no, Assembly language is not for kids. I think Im gonna dig out the rest tomorrow.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

error1 posted:

Psh I don't know what are you guys on about, CGA had AMAZING graphics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNRO7lno_DM

:eyepop:

So was it that no game developer wanted to invest the huge amount of time required to make their game look like that on top of the time they were already spending on development, or that they didn't want to make things even less portable back in an era when they were trying to release to half a dozen different platforms?

e: lol KIDS' ASSEMBLER. I had a quick look at the book online and I don't get what's "kids" about it. I assume it's still using the same assembly language and maybe it just has a nicer user interface to allow you to type it in?

Buttcoin purse has a new favorite as of 01:34 on Jan 24, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, those credits. It's like the 80s never ended :allears:

Only thing missing is WWIV/FIDOnet board addresses.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Buttcoin purse posted:

So was it that no game developer wanted to invest the huge amount of time required to make their game look like that on top of the time they were already spending on development, or that they didn't want to make things even less portable back in an era when they were trying to release to half a dozen different platforms?

Demos like this are made with an intimate knowledge of the hardware and applying every trick in the book possible and need a lot of experience, sometimes experience that wasn't around because the platforms were not that old. They also often rely on knowledge and technologies that only became common when the platforms were obsolete and are sometimes actually quite modern. Also the code usually is very tightly knit to produce exactly what you see, not more, not less. There is very little flexibility and leeway and it takes lots and lots of time. The approach to demos is not exactly the same approach you'd take to more traditional pieces of software you'd also like to maintain and expand somewhat long-term. Developing and especially debugging also was a bitch on many of these old systems, because of their constrained resources. Emulation makes these development steps also A LOT easier, and this cannot be overstated. I don't think many of the very neat things you see in modern Demos you'd ever see without emulation on modern hardware making things so much easier for developers.

That being said, in a lot of old games there's already a lot of trickery going on to achieve what you get, especially with platforms like the C64 and Amiga where there was a lot of knowledge about the inner workings of the system and you as developer could be sure that they're all essentially the same. (Which wasn't always the case and sometimes led to problems) Programming back then was a job I'd call a lot more challenging in some aspects as it is now, or at least you needed a lot more intimate knowledge about your platform to be a good programmer. That this knowledge is lacking sometimes you can see in some software products today. You can get away with a lot more inefficiency at least.

Police Automaton has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Jan 24, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

XYZ posted:

God Sega really dropped the ball post-Genesis didn't they?
Basically. One of the executives from that era best described it with something along the lines of "We got to the top of the hill, then we realized it was the wrong drat hill."

The 32X was an attempt to turn the Genesis into a more powerful system after Sega's answer to the Super FX chip Nintendo were embedding into some games (The Sega Virtua Processor) turned out to be ludicrously expensive. The add-on was pricy, the games were either rushed or cheap upgrades of Genesis games, and all the developers abandoned it after like six months to work with real 32-bit systems.

The Saturn was built to be a 2D powerhouse, with 3D capabilities bolted on near the end of development to try and compete with the Playstation. This resulted in it being an absolute nightmare to develop for in comparison to Sony's system, which is why a lot of 3D games on the Saturn run worse than their counterparts on other hardware.

The Dreamcast... The Dreamcast fixed all the problems of the Saturn, with good quality graphics and easy development tools, but financial issues, corporate reshuffling, EA's refusal to develop games for the console (Sega's sports games turned out better, but the Madden brand name was just that strong) and the looming spectre of the PS2 (and later the Xbox) resulted in Sega peacing out of console hardware. The Dreamcast hardware did go onto a successful second life, though, as the NAOMI, a low-cost arcade game system that saw another whole decade of releases...

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Having sprites was one of the bullet points they sold the c64 with.

I've mentioned it in other threads but the programs that made music using the floppy drive head stands out as one of the weirdest things about that platform. Having to get the drive head aligned (Sears would take it in and presumably ship it somewhere) was something you had to do. Wonder if the drive head music caused this?
Also my first computer after the c64 was an IBM Pentium 75. Iater put a 133mhz (?) evergreen chip in it and maybe the first voodoo. Great box that served me a long time. It shipped with win3.11 , later upgraded to win95 using floppies iirc, and win98. The default screen saver in 3.11 was text saying Windows 3.11 which was preserved on upgrade. Everyone said you don't want to upgrade but install fresh but I didn't want to lose stuff so did it anyway.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

One of the greatest things about that 8088 mph demo is how much of it they have documented in detail, explaining exactly how and why it works

Go read http://8088mph.blogspot.com , it's well worth your time

Especially http://8088mph.blogspot.com/2015/04/cga-in-1024-colors-new-mode-illustrated.html if you want to know how to get that many colours out of something that never supported it

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

People who push computers seemingly far beyond their limits are modern day wizards.

Are those days long past now? Memory, colors, and sound channels* are comparatively limitless in modern systems. It seems the only thing we can really push is how quickly things can be rendered/processed, rather than what.

You got a 3D mark score of 35000? Big whoop. Can you get a 25 year old 8k computer to display 256 colors?

* yeah I guess it's not so important anymore when everything is recorded/sampled

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Are those days long past now? Memory, colors, and sound channels* are comparatively limitless in modern systems. It seems the only thing we can really push is how quickly things can be rendered/processed, rather than what.
Not quite the same thing, but compare the first generation of, say, PS3 games with the final generation. It's the same static hardware configuration, but it's being used so much more efficiently and cleverly that a whole new level of results are being achieved.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Buttcoin purse posted:

there's a big fat difference between programming a game, which is a program that changes in real time and responds to user input, versus a demo, which is a fixed program that shows how far you can be johnny badass and bend a computer to do crazy poo poo it shouldn't be able to do

games you don't want to invest endless years in, because eventually your platform and tech becomes obsolete and the whole point of making a game is usually to sell it for a profit. look at what happened to Duke Nukem Forever. on the other hand, a demo is just nut flexing for nerds so you can really get boutique and wild with it to show off your chops in whatever obsolete niche system. there are still people who make C64 and NES games just to prove they can

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Is there an atari 2600 demo scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

No system is too old for the demoscene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Wk9Oi_Fsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXWyUUQ2EtI