Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I haven't messed with the new amazon app store, but a few years ago the main problem with it was that the extra step in the process (developer->google->you to developer->google->amazon->you) meant that your app was updated slower than people who bought directly from google. For five bucks, I'd rather just get it directly and not worry about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Fuzz posted:

DHCP was off on the Cisco, because it's on on the Verizon router.

Basically the Verizon router is the NAT and DHCP, distributing IPs (UPnP on there, as well) while the Cisco is just a bridged set of IPs under the same system, plus a wifi network. (wifi on the Verizon is turned off)

Not sure what happened, but this morning when I turned everything on it was working and I can access from outside, which is what I wanted. Guess maybe the network or router reset overnight or something... I had reset it manually multiple times and it didn't do poo poo, but whatever, all working now!

That makes more sense :D

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

iajanus posted:

That makes more sense :D

Yeah, it works out pretty well... I'm still having the Verizon assign IPs and handle ports, so it doesn't require me loving with coaxial splitters and crap to maintain my TV, but I still get the superior Wireless-N of the Cisco. Somehow it finally started working right, so now I'm all good to go and am loving being able to watch everything on my phone/kindle from wherever. Watched some Gotham on the train to work today! :hellyeah:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone put their plea media database on hosting?

I'm trying to think of a good way I can share media with my parents than taking them a USB stick every other week.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Laserface posted:

Has anyone put their plea media database on hosting?

I'm trying to think of a good way I can share media with my parents than taking them a USB stick every other week.

Honestly, when most people mention their plans to be a mini media mogul and dole out media to family, I wonder why they bother with the hassle. In your case you would probably be better off with bittorrent sync.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I really wish Plex didn't suck with music videos.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

Honestly, when most people mention their plans to be a mini media mogul and dole out media to family, I wonder why they bother with the hassle. In your case you would probably be better off with bittorrent sync.

The server is meant for remote sharing I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the bandwidth and can do the initial setup which takes 5 minutes.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I really wish Plex didn't suck with music videos.

Why download them? I've used watch later for stuff I wanted to watch or the YouTube plugin or a YouTube app on another connected device.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

sellouts posted:

The server is meant for remote sharing I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the bandwidth and can do the initial setup which takes 5 minutes.

Why download them? I've used watch later for stuff I wanted to watch or the YouTube plugin or a YouTube app on another connected device.

He really wants this as his permanent background music and animated backsplash:

https://youtu.be/YDgTRY9vGCM

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sellouts posted:

I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the disk space and can do the initial download which takes 5 minutes. /s

As to "why avoid it" - PLEX is super useful for loads of things, but if you're dedicating your own gaming PC to serving other people :filez: I'd have to wonder why, and why loads of simpler solutions aren't being used instead. In particular, a local install onto mom'n'pops desktop and a way of dropping them files / giving them magnet links and a client to download public domain media that will directplay at 1080 is nearly always going to be better than feeding them a 720 transcode.

Not so much here, but look at r/plex or their forums sometime, and you'll find people dedicating all manner of resources to serving content to other people, and it's 10:1 them wanting to be ~~the guy~~ vs it being in any way the best option for the people to get content.
Most eventually stop when they realise being free tech support and/or dealing with people sharing the password around is more trouble than it's worth.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My parents are too stupid to use the internet to download things.

it is easier that I tell them to open the Plex app on their TV and look at all the nice new stuff to watch.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

But plex is absolutely the easiest way (best way) to get content to others? The system you describe requires hardware to host the files, management of the files, and the risks that torrents have from content providers. I'm not dealing with that poo poo for them remotely from 2100 miles away. I spend less time organizing the library and that covers everyone who uses it.

My parents can't remember their passwords yet have had 0 problems with a remote setup. The hard drives never die, they never run out of space, things are consistently organized and the Amazon Fire tv environment is safe, cheap, fast and easy enough that they aren't plagued with updates or other annoyances that a fuller system that runs torrents would have.

You may have to spend a bit of money to do it right, my system is definitely overkill, but the remote streaming has been the one thing I've done to try to introduce my parents to technology that they use because it never has problems and is simple enough that they can operate on its own. Don't exceed or underestimate the requirements for a server but if you've got the setup with hardware and a lack of bandwidth cap there's absolutely no reason why this isn't the best way to share media with a modestly sized group of people.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sellouts posted:

But plex is absolutely the easiest way (best way) to get content to others? The system you describe requires hardware to host the files, management of the files, and the risks that torrents have from content providers.
I disagree. At the point where you're dedicating hardware, upkeep (electricity, bandwidth) to it, or having to ask "can I still game on my own machine" there are absolute drawbacks you can place a monetary value on, one that's probably not significantly less than the cost of the content from the "correct" source.

If you want to avoid torrents then sure, I'd agree you might want to do that. A more scalable option though, is still to share out a folder with movies in, and have plex on their home PC look at that folder and serve it out. This is also near-infinitely scalable as friends and more distant relatives can join the shared folder and serve local content to themselves.

If they don't have a computer made in the last 5 years and have a decent TV then sure, PLex is great. It's not the best default answer though IMO.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Khablam posted:

I don't know why anyone would avoid it if they have the disk space and can do the initial download which takes 5 minutes. /s

As to "why avoid it" - PLEX is super useful for loads of things, but if you're dedicating your own gaming PC to serving other people :filez: I'd have to wonder why, and why loads of simpler solutions aren't being used instead. In particular, a local install onto mom'n'pops desktop and a way of dropping them files / giving them magnet links and a client to download public domain media that will directplay at 1080 is nearly always going to be better than feeding them a 720 transcode.

Not so much here, but look at r/plex or their forums sometime, and you'll find people dedicating all manner of resources to serving content to other people, and it's 10:1 them wanting to be ~~the guy~~ vs it being in any way the best option for the people to get content.
Most eventually stop when they realise being free tech support and/or dealing with people sharing the password around is more trouble than it's worth.

lol you're saying that plex is too complicated but instead recommend loving bittorent of all things.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Khablam posted:

I disagree. At the point where you're dedicating hardware, upkeep (electricity, bandwidth) to it, or having to ask "can I still game on my own machine" there are absolute drawbacks you can place a monetary value on, one that's probably not significantly less than the cost of the content from the "correct" source.

I personally recommend against running Plex Media Server on a PC that you use daily for other tasks. The ideal setup is dedicating a machine exclusively for Plex Media Server duties.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

teagone posted:

I personally recommend against running Plex Media Server on a PC that you use daily for other tasks. The ideal setup is dedicating a machine exclusively for Plex Media Server duties.

Yeah, I have Plex on my main PC but since I'm the only one that uses it I can just not be using my computer when it has to transcode stuff and pegs the cpu at 100%. Even then I'm still considering getting a dedicated plex box/NAS at some point in the future.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

havenwaters posted:

Yeah, I have Plex on my main PC but since I'm the only one that uses it I can just not be using my computer when it has to transcode stuff and pegs the cpu at 100%. Even then I'm still considering getting a dedicated plex box/NAS at some point in the future.

I've been recommending the Lenovo TS140 barebones server with a Core i3 processor and 4GB RAM as a base to get started; just need to add drives and an OS (and more RAM if you can budget it in). The i3 TS140 usually goes on sale for around $200. Lowest I've seen it go was $175 after rebate. For roughly $100 more, you can bump up to a TS140 with a Xeon E3 processor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FCKGW posted:

lol you're saying that plex is too complicated but instead recommend loving bittorent of all things.

Are all your parents in assisted living? Who can't click a magnet link once it's been setup?

I'm done with the discussion but wow some people have low opinions of other people, and I have worked in IT.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
My parents can't reliably open Microsoft word, there's no way in hell I'm going to make them download torrents. In addition the electricity costs for running my server come in at less than the price of a Netflix subscription and it has just as easy a learning curve. It really shouldn't come as a surprise that you're the only person arguing that some setup where you send magnet links to your parents to independently download is somehow easier than getting them to click on big icons on plex.

Edit: The idea that making people wait for how ever long their internet needs to torrent something compared to just pressing a button and getting a slightly lesser quality but almost indistinguishable version is somehow better I'd crazy too

DJ Burette fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 24, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

DJ Burette posted:

It really shouldn't come as a surprise that you're the only person arguing that some setup where you send magnet links to your parents to independently download is somehow easier than getting them to click on big icons on plex.

Edit: The idea that making people wait for how ever long their internet needs to torrent something compared to just pressing a button and getting a slightly lesser quality but almost indistinguishable version is somehow better I'd crazy too

It genuinely is a surprise, and I think if people didn't treat their parents / friends as people who can't click a link and look at a progress bar, then it'd make things better for many reasons but whatever BIG BUTTANS OK MAH DONT SPILL THE CEREAL WHEN YOU DO IT. I also suggested just making them a folder which syncs automatically if this was an issue. I swear your mom will still think you're magic computer man with that solution.

Both were aimed as alternatives to people who were making sacrifices to get it working in a very sub-par way. It's quite different if you just have spare capacity.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FYI I was never suggesting I wanted to host the files myself. I have the files on my server and, if I wanted to, I could share them to my parents already. it works. I tested it.

The problem is, I have a 1mbit up connection, which, in a house with 4 housemates, is not really a connection that can handle the gaming and netflixing plus streaming video out all during peak times.

I was asking if anyone had put their media/Plex in the cloud to share stuff. Sure it would essentially be 'Netflix lite' or whatever but I would still keep my files locally and sync it out. I would of course have other uses for the server (backup of photos and videos and other stuff I dont want to lose being one of them) so the cost isnt entirely to support my parents streaming (which if anything, would be significantly less than what I am doing with it)

and yes some people literally have no idea how computers or the internet work. Being in IT, you should know that.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Khablam posted:

It genuinely is a surprise, and I think if people didn't treat their parents / friends as people who can't click a link and look at a progress bar, then it'd make things better for many reasons but whatever BIG BUTTANS OK MAH DONT SPILL THE CEREAL WHEN YOU DO IT. I also suggested just making them a folder which syncs automatically if this was an issue. I swear your mom will still think you're magic computer man with that solution.

Both were aimed as alternatives to people who were making sacrifices to get it working in a very sub-par way. It's quite different if you just have spare capacity.

"Okay mom, so you've got VLC open, but... for Chrissake's mom, didn't you update the codecs like I told you to!?"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

I have worked in IT.

There it is!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

"Okay mom, so you've got VLCMedia Player Classic open, but... for Chrissake's mom, didn't you update the codecs like I told you to!?"
VLC is self-contained.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Plex Megathread - Where we talk about not using Plex.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My parents would never be able to figure out using bittorrent, but I was able to put Plex on their Roku box and they can just use my stuff like it's Netflix. My dad DOES know how to use Facebook enough to send me a message telling me they're going to be using it beforehand to make sure my computer is on and all that. It's real easy.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
You guys have parents that know how to use Plex?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

lurksion posted:

VLC is self-contained.

From hell's heart I stab at thee, Media Player Classic.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

89 posted:

They wouldn't know how to add stuff to a server, or get to it on their computer, but they can press the "ok" button on their remote on the thing on the TV that says "PLEX" in big letters, yes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

89 posted:

Oh, sure. It came with their TV, and I set up a server on their desktop for them. They don't give a crap about streaming movies or TV, but my mom loves using it as a streaming music solution. They even know how to add new music as they gradually digitize their collection. A substantial upgrade from the 5-cd-changer they've been using since the 90s.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

"Okay mom, so you've got VLC open, but... for Chrissake's mom, didn't you update the codecs like I told you to!?"

To re-iterate because of the poor reading comprehension on display here, I never said any of this. Nor is that true, but whatever.
It's functionally as simple to use for your retarded family if you simply:

- Install plex on their PC and TV / iPads
- Have it look at eg c:\movies and c:\tv
- set those as BTsync directories
- stick poo poo in your own folders to sync across
- it appears for your family on their devices as per any other solution
- if you have other family elsewhere you can repeat the above and 3-4 way syncs only get faster
- none of it needs any maintenance

99% of anything will direct play or just transcode the audio stream, so almost any computer made after 2007 is more than enough to do this. You'll also get high bitrate 1080 content to them much easier, which will look a lot better on what is probably a living room TV.

Medullah posted:

The Plex Megathread - Where we talk about not using Plex.
No, I'm saying use plex. I'm saying there are other options other than needing to rely on one central server and especially when that involves significant compromises.

Laserface posted:

and yes some people literally have no idea how computers or the internet work. Being in IT, you should know that.
I actually found that if you explain basic concepts people pick it up, at least in part. Like the concept "the files are on your computer, they get sent to your TV" is not hard for anyone who can understand they need to open the door and walk through it.

Half the problem with parents being illiterate is kids doing everything for them and never teaching them how. But this is really too far aside already.

Plex is great.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

- if you have other family elsewhere you can repeat the above and 3-4 way syncs only get faster

- share my library

:confused:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think "parents" might be throwing expectations off as some people have 40 year old parents who aren't scared of computers, whereas some are in their 70s and it's still a frightening and confusing world.

I've tried to setup things for mine where I don't personally think there's any difficulty, but it's proven problematic when deployed.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Khablam posted:

So now I'm:

* Using 2x as much hard drive space to host copies in 2 places, resulting in more chance for failure of drives vs reading off of my NAS with drives that have longer warranties, a battery backup, and 2 drive fault tolerance.
* sending full copies of content vs lower quality compressed copies on demand. Or I'm wasting my hard drive space compressing this on my end
* requiring the computer that is wired to the network be the one that hosts content, otherwise i'm likely saturating their non-AC wifi if something is syncing without warning and they're trying to stream something else.
* sucking up their poo poo download speeds at unknown times to sync folders resulting in complaints that "the internet is slow"
* sucking up their poo poo upload speeds by running BT to other locations, resulting in complaints that "the internet is slow"
* managing what they want vs letting them choose from my library which is expanded to things they don't know about or wouldn't otherwise ask for
* dealing with operating system updates that may or may not break things
* deal with their complaints that the computer always has to be on to watch TV vs using my computer as the server which is always on doing things aside from hosting Plex

vs:

Install plex on PC and TV / iPads once
Link it to my library once
Let them treat it like a DVR that has a bit of a delay to start forever
Be blissfully unaware of any updates that are required because they go so smoothly I don't know/care if it's updating or not

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also: install/enable VPN server on their end and sign up DDNS or similar so you can always connect remotely to fix anything that has gone awry at least.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

sellouts posted:

* Using 2x as much hard drive space to host copies in 2 places, resulting in more chance for failure of drives vs reading off of my NAS with drives that have longer warranties, a battery backup, and 2 drive fault tolerance.
This isn't really a valid problem and if it was you could solve it really loving easily.

quote:

sending full copies of content vs lower quality compressed copies on demand
Yes, literally what I said. This is better for them because re-encoded 720 content is rear end compared to a decent 1080 rip.

quote:

requiring the computer that is wired to the network be the one that hosts content, otherwise i'm likely saturating their non-AC wifi if something is syncing without warning and they're trying to stream something else
This, and your complaint that they'll claim "the internet is slow" don't really chime. You need about ~12mbit for great quality files. If their WiFi is already locking itself down to 12mbit, it'll be lovely and slow anyway. They'll say "the internet is slow" in your scenario if 2 people are watching an iPad and someone is trying to do something else anyway.
The solution to this terrible problem is just to set a bandwidth at setup you know won't be an issue.

And for like the 5th time, my comments that there are other ways to get it setup are/were aimed at people saying they had CPU / bandwidth limitations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also: install/enable VPN server on their end and sign up DDNS or similar so you can always connect remotely to fix anything that has gone awry at least.

We just use join.me or whatever I installed. I forget. The great thing is I rarely have to do it because I put simple systems in place that are limited in scope and less likely to fail.

But yeah the btsync is cool if you've got extra hard drives for your parents to store stuff on, don't mind them failing and being replaced every 14 months because they are capable of having a backup plan in place for those drives and they can't handle a 5mbps stream served from your remote server and need to trickle download overnight or something. Or if they can't handle the quality which for my family is better than what they got off of the hgtv xbmc plugin before we moved to plex.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 25, 2016

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My dad is 65 and only just stopped using a Nokia 3310 last year.

He worked as a fitter for 45 years and has never required a computer for work at all.

So yeah, you are incredibly over estimating the computer literacy.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Both my parents are in their late 60s with zero training in computers.

I guess perhaps my mum is a genius, because when my brother showed her how to flick the VPN on and click a magnet link, she did the technologically demanding process of writing down the handful of clicks to remind herself how to do it next time.

I'm not over-estimating computer literacy; there's simply none involved in anything I've suggested, but you're happy doing whatever you're doing so I'll stop reiterating it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

My parents also write down stuff I tell them to do with their computers. Then they immediately lose it in the piles of other loving notes they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You're all stupid.

Use a remote desktop to manage a server storing in your parents' basement and download poo poo on that. Have everyone share that account.

Use your own computer for whatever the hell you want.

Their Plex is already pointed at the server. When they ask for stuff, go on the remote desktop and throw it on there. Plex will automatically add it, so you did your minimum effort to find an active torrent and click it.