Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is it possible for the Imperials to even win rogue squadron? (Or whatever the gently caress the flying maps are called) It seems like the Rebels win every time
ABORT MISSION THE AT-PTs HAVE BEEN DESTROYED!

Yes, they can win. I've been on both sides of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

ABORT MISSION THE AT-PTs HAVE BEEN DESTROYED!

Yes, they can win. I've been on both sides of this.

Click here to sign the petition to bring back Escape from Fest as an impossibly-hard-to-win-as-rebels fighter squadron mode

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Is it possible for the Imperials to even win rogue squadron? (Or whatever the gently caress the flying maps are called) It seems like the Rebels win every time

Yea but not without cheat codes or medals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LY8sBrlEio

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Click here to sign the petition to bring back Escape from Fest as an impossibly-hard-to-win-as-rebels fighter squadron mode

Escape from Fest was the goddamn worst. gently caress that mission. I thought Rescue from Thyferra was bad but ohhhh boy when this fucker came up...

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Easiest mission of Rogue Squadron. Blow up the upper two shield generators with your proton torpedoes and buzz as many of the turbolasers on the Star Destroyer as you can. Suicide to get your proton torpedoes back and blow up the generator on the underside. Once that's done, fly your B-Wing into the bridge of the Star Destroyer. It doesn't log a death because you blow up the Star Destroyer before you technically die. Instant gold.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I adored the Rogue games, but they were only viable with the cheat code to unlock all the levels from the start. No way I was ever going to beat some of those.

On the first game I remember being annoyed that failing a victory condition meant an instant mission over, becaause Goldeneye from the same era would let you just fanny about in the level shooting stuff and making your own fun. Some of the Rogue Squadron levels (those goddamn AT-PTs) had no time at all for sightseeing.

moosecow333 posted:

My key to success is the CA-87, Thermal Detonator, and the Jump Pack. Throw your grenade at the height of your jump and blast anyone you land near. I consistently get over 30 kills. I do only play Blast and Drop pod though, so that could factor into it a lot.

I don't remember ever seeing the green bug aliens you can play as in the movie, what scene were they in?

They are in the background of the conference room in Return of the Jedi when they are planning the assault on the second Death Star/Endor shield generators. No, I didn't remember them from the films either, but they are there.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Holy god gently caress Escape from Fest. I downloaded Rogue Squadron from GOG when they got it and I'd forgotten the utter bullshit that was that level.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ChickenWing posted:

Holy god gently caress Escape from Fest. I downloaded Rogue Squadron from GOG when they got it and I'd forgotten the utter bullshit that was that level.

The original RS really didn't age as well as its sequel. Christ, the fog.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I never played the sequel. Enjoyed my second time through the first though. It was nice being not a child and understanding how to actually play the game.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I just watched a play through of every Rogue Squadron II mission and it still looks fun as gently caress today.

Except the 100 wave endurance mode. gently caress that.

Skoll fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 22, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played Tie Fighter a year or two ago and it's still a pretty awesome game.

gently caress A-Wings in that game too though

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Thank you. I bought the sec14 and wow what a difference. I'm actually able to kill enemies now.

But I still don't see how people get so fuckin many kills

Few things.

The radar. Learn this poo poo immediately, it's immensely strong.

• Red circle in the center, someone is either sprinting or firing a weapon in your IMMEDIATE vicinity.
  • Red cone from the center circle to almost the edge, someone is either sprinting or firing in that direction at medium range.
  • Red flash at the edge of the circle, someone is sprinting or firing in that direction, but far off.
  • Learn to turn on the spot to test the radar. If someone is sprinting or firing in x direction at medium range, and you know the corridor your in has a left turn that corresponds to that direction and range, then turn right. If the radar flash moves anti-clockwise, there's about a 90% chance he's in that corridor. Then you can choose. Long range weapon? Run (DON'T SPRINT) to the corner ready to fire. Short range weapon? Watch for the continued red flashes, and IF the circle in the center flashes, he is right about the turn around the corner. If he doesn't know how to use the radar to figure out your position, you will win the firefight.

I could go on and on about the radar, it's that important, but there's more reasons those guys are 56-5 Kills-Deaths.

Bounty Hunter trait.

At level 1, which you ALWAYS have, this gives a 25% chance of a powerup on any kill. Infantry only, heros/vehicles don't get traits. 25 sounds small, but it kicks in often enough to make a difference. Infantry turret, thermal imploder, smart rocket, prox mine any those 3 is basically another free kill. Infantry turrets in the right places can be ridiculous.

At level 2, that 25% becomes 50%. Every other kill (in average) you will get a powerup. That's huge. Such a massive advantage over non-BH traits.

At level 3, EVERY SINGLE KILL gives you a powerup. Yeah, at this point I just throw grenades, prox mines, rockets etc everywhere, because you're basically rambo. But BH3 has something else - cooldowns reset on kill. Your two active starcards will instantly be available after every kill. Ever seen this? That's BH3 resetting his cooldowns. Notice how he camps, he doesn't move forward, too much danger. He even got the 6th kill necessary for BH3 from a prox mine.

Scan pulse.

See that pulse-like thing in the video above? That's scan pulse. Ever seen a map hack in an FPS? Scan pulse is a fully-legal map hack. Through walls, ceilings, floors, other people, anything. People spam this poo poo like candy, and when combined with the radar it's ridiculous. If you ever pop round a corner and die instantly, chances are you got scanpulsed. It's so easy to follow the red outline such that when they come round the corner or object your crosshair is already on their head.

There's more, but these are some tricks you need to be aware of.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Well half the problem is that I'm not high enough level for the bowcaster or the bounty hunter trait. And as for my scan pulse, maybe it's broken? If say one out of every ten times I use it till actually pick up like one person. All other times it shows nothing at all.

So basically it's continue to grind it out and be frustrated as hell until I'm high enough level to buy the good poo poo that'll help me kill the lower level people grinding it out.

END OF AN ERROR fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 22, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yorkshire Tea posted:

On Windows witha good card it's really good. I used to play the N64 version without the memory expansion, now that was something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Well half the problem is that I'm not high enough level for the bowcaster or the bounty hunter trait. And as for my scan pulse, maybe it's broken? If say one out of every ten times I use it till actually pick up like one person. All other times it shows nothing at all.

So basically it's continue to grind it out and be frustrated as hell until I'm high enough level to buy the good poo poo that'll help me kill the lower level people grinding it out.

The scan pulse has a range to it. Use it when you you're close to an area where enemies are, and you'll pick up a LOT of people.

Bowcaster is great but you can get a lot of kills with just Sec-14 and scan pulse + whatever other kit. Scan pulse is the key. As Mors Anima said we really can't overstate how powerful an ability that is. Couple it with Bounty Hunter and you're a murder machine.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

And I've found the smaller games like Droid Run and Drop Zone and such are great for accumulating the charges you need to keep your Scan Pulse active for the bigger games, where charges are harder to come by.

Also, I think my favorite challenges so far have been the ones where I have to get a bunch of melee kills. It's amusing to sneak up behind a guy and clobber him with my gun instead of shooting him.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Honestly, the bowcaster is nothing special. I am killed by it so infrequently that it is the only time I remember it is in the game.

The trait cards though, yeah - those will help. Like Ginette Reno said, scan pulse is vital. I've started using the Sec-14 and scan pulse on the smaller maps (Droid Run, etc) and I am unstoppable. I have only one upgrade on my jump pack and use Bounty Hunter, which helps with grenade spam.

Steve Vader posted:

Also, I think my favorite challenges so far have been the ones where I have to get a bunch of melee kills. It's amusing to sneak up behind a guy and clobber him with my gun instead of shooting him.

Especially when they are using Personal Shield.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Steve Vader posted:

And I've found the smaller games like Droid Run and Drop Zone and such are great for accumulating the charges you need to keep your Scan Pulse active for the bigger games, where charges are harder to come by.

Heroes vs Villains and Hero Hunt, especially, since the game is trying to give the regular soldiers more of a fighting chance against the heroes.

That said, I could never actually recommend that anyone play Hero Hunt. Ever. It is one of the worst things I've ever seen in a game, and its only redeeming quality is that you could use it to farm charges.

Let us now spend the next six pages talking about how bad Hero Hunt is and how much it fails at pretty much every level. :argh:

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Sith Happens posted:

Heroes vs Villains and Hero Hunt, especially, since the game is trying to give the regular soldiers more of a fighting chance against the heroes.

That said, I could never actually recommend that anyone play Hero Hunt. Ever. It is one of the worst things I've ever seen in a game, and its only redeeming quality is that you could use it to farm charges.

Let us now spend the next six pages talking about how bad Hero Hunt is and how much it fails at pretty much every level. :argh:

Every time I've played that (which admittedly hasn't been in weeks) the hero hides. They just run away the entire match or do their best to hunker down somewhere and camp the best they can. It's maddening.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 22, 2016

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
scan pulse was so effective for me i actually had to get myself off it like a drug because i'd use it everywhere. Eventually I got to the point where I was only using it when I needed to be sure where someone was nearby, esp. on Endor, because otherwise my money was going down instead of up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Steve Vader posted:

If you are in like your first ten hours of the game sure. After that just buy charges. The charge is so poorly thought out there is really nothing stopping you from just buying scan charges en masse and spamming them constantly.

Like not since the first week of the game being out have I had to think "hmm might not getting anything out of this pulse, better save the charge!" It's just "nearing objective ---> activate pulse, can buy however many needed at end of round".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also scan pulse is stupidly, unbelievably OP. The only reason it isn't regarded as being equal to the A-wing is because both sides have access to it, and it's not overt in causing you repeated, embarrassing deaths. poo poo needs a big nerf.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I really out to give Bounty Hunter another spin. I've been sticking with Scout exclusively.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I pretty much only use scan pulse on Endor (since I can't see poo poo for poo poo on that map) or indoors when jerks are camping at entrances and we can't storm in and I need to work around it.

But I forgot you could buy charges, and now that I'm 50+, there's not much I'm saving points for (besides unlocking emotes, since I have all the aliens and when aliens and helmet troopers are an option, I could give a poo poo about the human faces)... and I suppose eventually the Sharpshooter trait, but I still suck so bad at aiming that I even skip all the 'headshot' challenges, so I'd never play that one, unless I decide to give a poo poo about unlocking all the diorama figurines.

Also, I really want them to put speeder bikes on all the other maps, because they'd be so much more fun to ride around on if you could see where the gently caress you're going.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

MorsAnima posted:

Ever considered a loadout with Pulse/Cycler and bounty hunter. With bh3, you reset after each kill.

I had that setup going for a while until I went survivalist. Im lovin the quick health regeneration.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.

Steve Vader posted:

I pretty much only use scan pulse on Endor (since I can't see poo poo for poo poo on that map) or indoors when jerks are camping at entrances and we can't storm in and I need to work around it.

But I forgot you could buy charges, and now that I'm 50+, there's not much I'm saving points for (besides unlocking emotes, since I have all the aliens and when aliens and helmet troopers are an option, I could give a poo poo about the human faces)... and I suppose eventually the Sharpshooter trait, but I still suck so bad at aiming that I even skip all the 'headshot' challenges, so I'd never play that one, unless I decide to give a poo poo about unlocking all the diorama figurines.

Also, I really want them to put speeder bikes on all the other maps, because they'd be so much more fun to ride around on if you could see where the gently caress you're going.

Sharpshooter is worthless. Bh3's cooldown reset should be on sharpshooter 3, and Bh should just be powerups, but :dice:

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

If you know where you're going on Endor, the speeder bike can inflict some serious damage on the opposition.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Did someone have a guide for keymapping the air stuff on PC so it's not so lovely?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Speeder bikes on Hoth and Jakku would be great. Could lead to some interesting flanking strategies but really I just don't want to have to run around on foot so much. The spawns on those maps are too far away from the action.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Scout is nice until you realize no one on console seems to even look at the radar

runningdonut
Feb 22, 2008
yeah, I've stopped using scout on the larger game modes. Still great for Cargo, Droid Run, and HvsV

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Glass of Milk posted:

Did someone have a guide for keymapping the air stuff on PC so it's not so lovely?

Before I changed to controller, all I did was change the mapping so that A and D are turn left and right and whatever you call what they did before is one the mouse for fine tuning your aim. Then put pitch up on space, just like in BF4.

Now it should be way easier to fly. I don't know why they did not do it that way in the first place.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Is it me, or has anybody else noticed that being attacked by Darth/Luke, when you're also a hero, sends you into a stun state that basically leaves you helpless and almost incapable of escaping?
I've died numerous times as Boba Fett or Han Solo – both of whom have abilities to get away in a bind – and as anybody else you can pretty much die within 4 or 5 swipes of a lightsaber.

Also, if you've charged up your Pulse Rifle and die before you use it, you respawn with the card unused. But die with a charged Bowcaster and you're left waiting for it to recharge :|

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I kinda hate that your cards don't recharge instantly upon respawn. I just died, assholes, gimme a break.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Hello Spaceman posted:

Is it me, or has anybody else noticed that being attacked by Darth/Luke, when you're also a hero, sends you into a stun state that basically leaves you helpless and almost incapable of escaping?
I've died numerous times as Boba Fett or Han Solo – both of whom have abilities to get away in a bind – and as anybody else you can pretty much die within 4 or 5 swipes of a lightsaber.

Also, if you've charged up your Pulse Rifle and die before you use it, you respawn with the card unused. But die with a charged Bowcaster and you're left waiting for it to recharge :|

This happened to me as Vader last night. I ran up to Luke, he hit me once and made me stumble back and then was able to continue hitting me until I was dead. I couldn't move, attack, jump or anything. SUPER fun!

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
So the January DLC has only new costumes for Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia...wow thanks :dice:

quote:

Battlefront will allegedly have Daily Challenges, Private Matches and Special Community Events launched by the end of the month.

I'm having lack of faith in this actually happening.

https://twitter.com/Kvasibarn/status/690508328640876544

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 23, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Steve Vader posted:

I kinda hate that your cards don't recharge instantly upon respawn. I just died, assholes, gimme a break.

That would be horrible. You'd face even more Bowcaster spam than normal.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
All I'm going to do while I'm snowed in is play more battlefront. I pity the suckers with no power.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Junior Jr. posted:

So the January DLC has only new costumes for Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia...wow thanks :dice:

Is that the season pass DLC pack? Or just a FreeLC bonus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

jivjov posted:

Is that the season pass DLC pack? Or just a FreeLC bonus?

lmao if the season pass part 1 was just two costumes.

Even EA/Dice isn't that asinine.

• Locked thread