Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
damnit, the limitations of df modding are finally backing me into enough of a corner that im seriously considering learning how to cope with dfhack scripts

:iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

scamtank posted:

A lesbian couple

scamtank posted:

simultaneous miscarriages
um

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Life finds a way.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dwarves reproduce via spores.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Grey Hunter posted:

Something really bizzare just happened.

I saved my game just as a Goblin Invasion arrived. I just loaded it up to fight them off, only to realize my population had dropped from 100 to 6. I unpaused for a few seconds, then paused again. A solitary dwarven child remained.
Unpause for a few more seconds and my fortress falls.

100 Dwarves just up and vanished into the either after unpausing a save game.

I'm a version behind, but that was really weird. Time to update and start a new world I think.

CROATOAN

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

You don't wanna know.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Dwarves reproduce via spores.

Actually it's a touch interaction now!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I wish these fuckers would actually use the instruments that I've provided them with instead of just reciting the same poetry at each other.

Another thing that has been bothering me is some dwarves that are whining about being away from friends and family HAVE NO FRIENDS OR FAMILY. You can't exactly be missing Mom if you never had one.

Lareine fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Maybe they're like those birds that form same sex couples but one of them goes and has a one night stand to be impregnated by a male so they can have a kid.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lareine posted:

Another thing that has been bothering me is some dwarves that are whining about being away from friends and family HAVE NO FRIENDS OR FAMILY. You can't exactly be missing Mom if you never had one.

Should probably be giving them an opportunity to make friends, then!

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Should probably be giving them an opportunity to make friends, then!

They have a perfectly good tavern. They could go and make friends there. I'm not stopping them from throwing parties either but they've stopped having those too.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

"Only" mistake.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
What happens in the pasture stays in the pasture.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

scamtank posted:

So uh is there a way to stop dwarves from spending every waking moment in the bar

Kinda puts a damper on me having taverns

All of my dwarves love looking at the loving books and scrolls even though they can't read. It occupies every idle moment for the whole fort population.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

reading posted:

All of my dwarves love looking at the loving books and scrolls even though they can't read. It occupies every idle moment for the whole fort population.

Who could have guessed, years ago, that the replacement for dorfs wasting time at parties would be so highbrow?

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Now available on Amazon for 99c

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If it's illustrated like medieval manuscripts I wouldn't blame them for looking at the weird pretty pictures and trying to figure out what the hell it's about.

reading
Jul 27, 2013

GenericOverusedName posted:

If it's illustrated like medieval manuscripts I wouldn't blame them for looking at the weird pretty pictures and trying to figure out what the hell it's about.

I just wish there was some path for them to achieve literacy (maybe an occiasional "tutoring" by your designated scholar where they sit around and learn the skill, like military instruction) and then some use for that literacy elsewhere- maybe including words in engravings, graffiti, personal diaries/journals. But now I'm asking for Toady to spend another year on that rather than other fun stuff.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

reading posted:

But now I'm asking for Toady to spend another year on that rather than other fun stuff.

I dunno, I'd gladly wait a year for stuff like that. One big problem about the game is how there are many events and interactions in a dwarf's day-to-day life that the player isn't notified about. The thoughts screen as it is now is pretty crowded already, so stuff like diaries and graffiti would help externalize a dwarf's personality without having to check each of your 200 dwarves' thoughts.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

chiefnewo posted:

Now available on Amazon for 99c

Urist McDwarf cancels mine: Interrupted by Chuck Tingle

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
I'm having a difficult time finding a good embark. I'm looking for an embark with sand, flux, a volcano and frequent sieges.

I've increased the amount/longevity of goblin civs, and allowed them to spawn in a wider range of biomes, which seemed to work (they actually appear on the map in some numbers now), but no matter how close I make my fort to a goblin town/whatever, they pretty much never appear on the c menu after I embark (they show up under civs when I'm finding an embark place). The one fort that I managed to get a goblin siege happened within the first season, then once again in the spring IIRC, then never again.

I've turned the number of volcanoes way up, but it seems to gently caress the rest of the map gen up.

I've never had such a pain in the rear end trying to make the game *Fun*.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You tried adding hundreds of extra volcanos and then was surprised when the world was all hosed up?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

One of my dwarves drowned. How can I retrieve the body and stuff without drowning my other dwarves?

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
poo poo, accidently tapped into the eerie pits. I forgot that the shafts aren't always purely vertical. Goodbye Gorgeworks.

On the plus side I now know where I'm going to put my visitor tavern in my next fortress.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Haerc posted:

I'm having a difficult time finding a good embark. I'm looking for an embark with sand, flux, a volcano and frequent sieges.

I've increased the amount/longevity of goblin civs, and allowed them to spawn in a wider range of biomes, which seemed to work (they actually appear on the map in some numbers now), but no matter how close I make my fort to a goblin town/whatever, they pretty much never appear on the c menu after I embark (they show up under civs when I'm finding an embark place). The one fort that I managed to get a goblin siege happened within the first season, then once again in the spring IIRC, then never again.

I've turned the number of volcanoes way up, but it seems to gently caress the rest of the map gen up.

I've never had such a pain in the rear end trying to make the game *Fun*.

Civilizations only show up on the post-embark "c" menu after you encounter them, so them not being there at embark doesn't mean anything.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lareine posted:

One of my dwarves drowned. How can I retrieve the body and stuff without drowning my other dwarves?

So everyone drowned by now, right?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

Decrepus posted:

So everyone drowned by now, right?

Naw, the other ones seem to be wise enough to not even try.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
you should forbid the body and its stuff anyways, to make sure broken pathfinding doesn't reduce your fps

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Lareine posted:

1) lots of pumps
2) wait for winter
or
3) don't. Engrave a slab

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah there's no diving. If you want something from the water, you need to make all of the water go away somehow.

Also check dis

January 25th posted:

What's been happening... I made the "really attack?" button explain more about the circumstances. Then I added adjectives in the announcement names of people when you don't know their names, so the combat logs etc. aren't so ambiguous. It uses their most prominent feature (either the body shape or a specific part)... except for long hair, since I haven't made most people cut their hair yet. After that, it was time for something dwarfy. So I started on the ability to specify materials for tasks. This'll possibly include further specifications for details like the shape of statues and wall engravings, depending on how all the complications work out. There are lots of complications, but I'm going to push at it for a bit longer and report back.

The cross-eyed dwarf punches the impossibly corpulent human in the nuts

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I decided to gen up a world because I haven't played in a while and taverns sound fun. I did advanced parameters so I would get good caves, but I think I accidentally selected very long history or whatever the term is for 1000 years of world gen. My computer has been working on this for the last 3 hours and so far there have been almost a million and a half historical events. loving dwarf fortress.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

The abort command works, it just takes like two generated years to wind the system down. You're not forced to sit it out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've tried hitting enter and escape and it just seems to ignore me and keep on making goblins bite the fingers off of kobolds or whatever. We're at 860 now. I might let it run over night.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

scamtank posted:

Yeah there's no diving. If you want something from the water, you need to make all of the water go away somehow.

Also check dis

The cross-eyed dwarf punches the impossibly corpulent human in the nuts

poo poo i think i accidentally sent psychic energies at toady to make him do that. such powers must be used with care

add syndromes to custom workshops... add syndromes to custom workshops... do it do it DO IT I DON'T WANNA USE DFHACK

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have recently gotten into Dwarf Fortress. Some things irritate me, which is why I am sticking to 42.04 instead of going to .05. Mostly I need dfhack. Graphics and other mods do not matter to me. I can't be bothered to always change labors for my dwarves. Sometimes I have no clue why something isn't building, so dfhack will just assign it to someone automatically with the autolabor plugin. TWBT is also useful if I want to move from ascii.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

I have recently gotten into Dwarf Fortress. Some things irritate me, which is why I am sticking to 42.04 instead of going to .05. Mostly I need dfhack. Graphics and other mods do not matter to me. I can't be bothered to always change labors for my dwarves. Sometimes I have no clue why something isn't building, so dfhack will just assign it to someone automatically with the autolabor plugin. TWBT is also useful if I want to move from ascii.

Are you using Windows? Somebody at Bay12 sniffed out the memory locations and compiled a 42.05 version of DFHack complete with TWBT.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
The problem with 42.05 is it still has the export/import bug where it doesn't recognise any value of trade you have done, leading to no human caravans etc. Supposedly it's fixed for 06 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reading
Jul 27, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I've never used therapist or any of the other hacks- I just occaisionally give some schmuck every single labor possible, to ensure that no matter what happens a job hanging out for a while will eventually have someone come along who can do it. Usually I do this with a peasant from the first migrant wave, just so they'll build every single workshop. Building at least one of every workshop is one of those tasks I do when everything's up and running and I'm idle (me, as the player) waiting for the next step up in complication. This system works pretty well. It requires me to turn off my natural desire to min/max everything to perfection because DF is sort of a monster in that it really draws people with that personality in, and then abuses them horribly at the inability to ever be fully min/maxed.