Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Envoy and PSA both announced cadet programs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

And Atlas Air announced they intend to hire me :rock:

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

quote:

Your initials wouldn't happen to be S.N. would they?

No but I do know who you're talking about, he was in my class.

Animal posted:

Siiiiiiick. 74 or 76? Either way, have fun in Doral and wear your lanyard!

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Don't know yet, I am in the pool now waiting for a class. I won't make the obligatory Facebook post with a picture of one of their planes until I get a class. There is a 747 class on February 22 that I hope to get in. But I will take whatever. I can't wait to know what the hell you are talking about!!!

KodiakRS posted:

Your initials wouldn't happen to be S.N. would they?

Kodiak are you in training with them?

Animal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 23, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

More on the cadet programs (was phone posting last night):

PSA: http://www.psaairlines.com/careers/cadet-program/

quote:

Upon completion of your CFI, you are eligible to become a Cadet Instructor which allows you to receive:
Up to $5,000 in partial tuition reimbursement paid to you as you build time. (Note- this begins at 500TT and continues until you reach ATP mins, depending on how you train and where you go to school)
Cadet Instructor placement, if required, to any one of PSA’s partner universities, colleges and flight academies.
At select partner schools, employee benefits including:
Travel privileges for you and your family on the entire American Airlines Group network.
Comprehensive health and dental and coverage.
401k retirement with company matching contributions.
Paid vacation and sick time accrual.
ATP-CTP Course paid upon reaching ATP/R-ATP minimum flight experience requirements.
PSA will pay for the ATP-CTP course (valued at $5,000) for qualified candidates needing to complete the ATP written exam prior to new hire training.
Hotel accommodations and ground transportation during the ATP-CTP course will be provided.
Get placed into the next available class at PSA upon reaching minimums, no additional interview required.
Receive an additional $6,000 tuition reimbursement paid in full on the first day of new hire First Officer class.
Flow-through to American Airlines with no additional interview, once completing requirements at PSA.
New hires at PSA are projected to flow to American Airlines after only 6 years.

I guess you interview once you have Private done. That travel benefit perk sounds a lot like what Delta Connection Academy used to provide for their CFIs.

Envoy: http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/envoy-air-launches-cadet-programproviding-a-seamless-transition-from-classroom-to-cockpit

quote:

The Program offers various levels of support as the Cadet’s certifications, training and experience evolves, including up to $16,000 in tuition reimbursement. Mentorships and internships with airline industry experts can begin as early as a Cadet’s freshman year. As a Cadet achieves more certifications, they become eligible for tuition reimbursement, placement at partner schools to serve as instructors so they can build their flight time, and, at select partner schools, employee travel privileges.

Cadets will be placed into the FAA-required Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program (ATP-CTP) course, at no cost to them, after reaching the necessary number of flight hours. Upon successful completion of the course, they can quickly start their First Officer New Hire Class at Envoy.

Is the $11,000 extra reimbursement an effort to put butts back in seats at Envoy as opposed to PSA?

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Meanwhile at JFK

:rip:

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
That's gonna take some clearing. Ouch.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Ferretking pointed out it's almost certainly some forced perspective but it's still a cool shot.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Yeah, and I am currently stuck in what was supposed to be a short LGA layover. Wouldn't be so bad if they subway lines were not closed so I could at least head to Brooklyn to drink with my friends.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Animal posted:

Yeah, and I am currently stuck in what was supposed to be a short LGA layover. Wouldn't be so bad if they subway lines were not closed so I could at least head to Brooklyn to drink with my friends.

I got stuck at the Wyndham LGA for four days during a 26" snowfall back in 1996. They ran out of normal food and beer the second day, but I got the last chow out of Mike's roach coach in the parking lot next door before he abandoned his post that afternoon. It got so we were drinking Campari and eating friggin liver and onions because that was all they had.

That was when the sea wall was breached and the airport flooded about three feet deep.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Animal posted:

Congrats man :getin:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Animal posted:

Please post pics of Dreamlifter, thanks

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
A neat personal account of a chute pull in a Cirrus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKwMLGxZJ4w

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

The Ferret King posted:

A neat personal account of a chute pull in a Cirrus:

What is that disclaimer at the end referring to? "[ANN] can not endorse or imply any approval of Cirrus Aircraft and/or its business practices -- because of serious issues that have come to our attention over the last few years."

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There are links in the comment about that. I didn't care enough to read them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey AWSEFT, when you get a chance, I need an OP update. Pending certificate issuance from our local DPE, I am an FAA Advanced Ground Instructor. :getin:

Can you update the formatting of mine to "USA - ASEL PP IR AGI (Private 141, Instrument 61)"? I like the acronym soup everybody else has better than what I gave before.

If anybody wants to know about the process for becoming an AGI, feel free to send questions my way.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 25, 2016

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I guess if we're updating the OP you can change me to Nevada and add LR-60

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Can add me to USA, ASEL PPL

On a side note, had a bit of a layoff from Nov through Dec due to weather, holidays, etc. Basically 9 weeks without any time. Booked some instructor time for T&Gs on Sunday and boy am I glad I did. Could NOT get comfortable for some reason. Was coming in high and being too aggressive on my flare. Winds didn't help. My instructor taught me to flight fairly tight patterns, generally power off*, and it just seemed like everything was happening a bit too fast. Skill degradation is a thing, apparently. Who knew?

Going to book a few more lessons to get back in the groove.

*His reasoning was if you ever have a 'live' engine out scenario, you've basically been landing engine out from the beginning so its nothing new.

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

Minus Pants posted:

What is that disclaimer at the end referring to? "[ANN] can not endorse or imply any approval of Cirrus Aircraft and/or its business practices -- because of serious issues that have come to our attention over the last few years."
There's some information on that subject here:
http://www.ousterhout.net/zoom/cirrus-vs-zoom.html

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

Tide posted:

*His reasoning was if you ever have a 'live' engine out scenario, you've basically been landing engine out from the beginning so its nothing new.

Good for him. In addition to the reason above, nothing gets on my nerves more than a 172 flying widebody patterns. I was trying to get some quick pattern work in prior to my commercial checkride last week and I got stuck behind someone doing one of these guys:

That's an 8000 foot runway, for reference.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rickety Cricket posted:

Good for him. In addition to the reason above, nothing gets on my nerves more than a 172 flying widebody patterns. I was trying to get some quick pattern work in prior to my commercial checkride last week and I got stuck behind someone doing one of these guys:

That's an 8000 foot runway, for reference.

I like to passive aggressively call out traffic like that when tower clears me #2 behind them.

Cleared number two behind Cessna over *landmark obviously 5+ miles away*. :smuggo:

That or request a short approach and jump the line, because that poo poo is just unacceptable.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Passed my CFII check ride today. :toot:

Now I have to get used to writing exp 1/18 instead of 10/17

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 28, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I've always been of the opinion that if you're in the pattern in a single engine airplane, it's extremely poor form to be unable to make it back to the field if you lose the engine.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

I've always been of the opinion that if you're in the pattern in a single engine airplane, it's extremely poor form to be unable to make it back to the field if you lose the engine.

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That's the general rule. Don't screw yourself when you aren't even leaving the airport environment anyways.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I am selling a headset if any GA guys need one or are looking to upgrade.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762153

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Just learned that the pilot group I work with voted for a new contract that guarantees us 30 jets (replacing 20 Q400's that become beer cans next year), plus at least half of any additional regional jets our parent airline decides to buy for the next eight years.

I'll probably never fly the jets (unless I want to spend a decade or so in the right seat), but since voting down the contract would have likely meant parking 40% of our airplanes and outsourcing even more flying to the lowest bidder, It's nice to know that I don't need to start looking for another regional job in a few months.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 29, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Q400 in the US didn't last long, didn't it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm surprised, considering airlines in Canada are still ordering more. The one I flew on recently was quite a comfortable plane, too; noticeably less cramped than a CRJ or ERJ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Horizon still has 50 for the time being.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Any pay or QOL increases in the Horizion contract? Or was this more of a whipsaw against Skywest type of deal?

Animal posted:

Kodiak are you in training with them?

No, but they seem to be hiring a bunch of our FOs. If I hadn't just moved to base I would consider applying.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

Q400 infodump ahoy!

At some point this year, Horizon will become the last Q400 operator in the US, with 52 airplanes in service, although at least 15 (possibly 20) of those are being parked beginning in 2017 when their leases expire.

The biggest problems with the Q400 are related to reliability, and a lot of those trace back to Bombardier cutting corners on the design to keep costs down, but it's a good airplane when it actually decides to work.

Off the top of my head, the ANVS system (which reduces noise and vibration from the props) is probably the least reliable thing on the airplanes, since it uses a bunch of actuators to vibrate the fuselage at the appropriate frequencies, and those cause some interesting thumping noises in the cabin when one of them inevitably decides to fail. Bombardier also decided to use pneumatic boots for deicing the wings and tail, so the sheer amount of plumbing required to run the boots means there's lots of failure points, which tends to manifest around September/October, once known icing season kicks off. The cabin door seals are also pneumatic, and are also prone to failures, either from punctures/leaks or freezing when water gets into the seals.

Thankfully, the engines are extremely reliable (the rate of in flight shutdowns is well below the requirements for two engine ETOPS), but the propellers tend to be maintenance hogs due to balance issues and the amount of stress on them, to the point where Horizon actually does their own propeller work in-house, which encompasses everything short of manufacturing the blades and hubs. Since the electrical system is somewhat convoluted, we have a fairly lengthy section of procedures that crews use to resolve issues like cabin PA deciding not to work or the stall protection system being confused by buildings on short final and disabling itself once the airplane is on the ground.

For the most part, the Q400 is actually pretty reliable (after 15 years to work out the worst bugs), but keeping it that way requires substantially more maintenance hours than a CRJ or E175, so a lot of the money saved from the lower fuel burn goes back into keeping the airplanes working, and unless an airline is willing to invest the $$ in preventative maintenance for the fleet, the airplanes are going to spend a lot of time broken.

That said, the Q400 is a very capable airplane when everything works. Aside from the economics working out really well for short flights, the airplane also has the performance to get in and out of some pretty short runways, especially when carrying reduced fuel loads. Since the props can provide a substantial amount of drag in flight, we can do some pretty steep descents without picking up speed, and have the ability to hold about 200kts until a 4-5 mile final, then dump the gear and flaps in time to be slowed down to our approach speed (around 110kts) early enough to meet stabilized approach criteria. Since the Q400 is a high wing design, there's basically zero risk of striking a wing in crosswinds, which combines with a very effective rudder to make crosswind landings pretty simple.

If an airline is willing to spend the money, the Q400 can also be certified for CAT III approaches (via a HUD for the captain) as well as RNP 0.1 approaches, which gives the airplane the ability to get in and out of airports in some pretty bad weather.

KodiakRS posted:

Any pay or QOL increases in the Horizion contract? Or was this more of a whipsaw against Skywest type of deal?

The only pay increases are an annual 1.5% increase, and since we agreed to fly the jets for our current turboprop rates, there's some grumpy folks who view it as a concessionary contract. We are going to PBS at some point next year (which is probably a net neutral for most people, since our union has control over the software choice and options), but we got some nice changes to the reserve language and protections against more outsourcing, so the contract is probably a wash when you put everything together.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 30, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Forbes suggests the days of the regionals are numbered: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryn...e/#57d215ee5228

e- This was the stat I didn't know:

quote:

“There are approximately 18,000 pilots set to retire over the next seven years assuming each works to 65, but most retire between 62.5 and 64,” she told Forbes. “There are 18,000 pilots employed at the regionals. There just aren’t enough pilots to go around right now.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 31, 2016

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

quote:

Republic, for example, is hoping for a law change including the reduction in required hours for the right seat. Republic CEO Bryan Bedford said last week the airline tried to hire foreign nationals last year as co-pilots and could not get them registered in the US.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Forbes suggests the days of the regionals are numbered: http://www.forbes.com/sites/kathryn...e/#57d215ee5228

e- This was the stat I didn't know:

I guess the thread title is only half right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Assuming there is going to be a significant pilot shortage, maybe they shouldn't have treated pilots like such poo poo, in turn causing people like me to abandon the idea of becoming a commercial pilot. If there is a shortage, it's their own goddamn fault for making it such a financially unattractive career path.

Kawachi
Sep 16, 2006
Been a little while since I've checked in, but just passed my multi-engine instrument rating flight test today! :toot:

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

PT6A posted:

Assuming there is going to be a significant pilot shortage, maybe they shouldn't have treated pilots like such poo poo, in turn causing people like me to abandon the idea of becoming a commercial pilot. If there is a shortage, it's their own goddamn fault for making it such a financially unattractive career path.

Same here, saw how the regional airlines treated new hires and thought better of going 200K in debt so I could barely make minimum wage. And thats after working several years in the industry as an instructor. I love flying and I didn't become a professional pilot because I want to continue to love flying.

In short, get hosed regionals. If there really is going to be a pilot shortage (there won't be) then you have nobody but yourselves to blame.

Lockmart Lawndart fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 3, 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Is the pilot/pay shortage a uniquely American regional thing, or is everyone all over the world being hit with the same problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

PT6A posted:

This was exactly me, too, besides screwing up my training and trusting the wrong people with my educational loans that dug my debt hole even deeper. I have all the requirements met for my commercial license. I was close to being ready to test, but realized I'd not get out of the hole I was in for the majority of my career and would only bleed money to try to get a career in the first place. By the time I got in to a regional job let alone a major I'd have been in very bad shape for a long time.

It was quite depressing going to friends I had who were in law school when I started my flight training for help with my situation realizing the huge difference between our educational costs and potential careers. I've admired those of you here who stuck through it and am always glad to see how your experience has progressed. That office view has to be very validating at times!

• Locked thread