Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Onmi posted:

JESUS TAPDANCING gently caress CHRIST the levels to which poo poo just went wrong in this expedition are insane. 1. Torches doused by the water, unfortunate. 2. Assaulted by Minotaur while fighting Skeleton Mages, wind up haivng to use the last Wakestone. We can live with this, would have preferred it on a boss, but okay. SUDDENLY A loving ELDER OGRE POPS UP! I can handle this I just need a bit of time to get things under control. Oh. The Ogre just grabbed me. And he's hauling rear end ACROSS THE loving MAP! After triggering every mob in the Dungeon and forcing me to run all the way back to revive my Pawns, I finally have the Ogre down to one last health bar, I've got my pawns up and... He picks me up, bites my head off and kills me because I didn't hit Select fast enough for healing items.

My GOD did Bitterblack just pile it on. I'd turn this car around, but the only thing left for me is The Everfall so I've got nothing better to do.

EDIT: The turning point was literally the sprint, As not only was I laughing my rear end off at the Ogre's desire to wake up literally the entire map, but it caused a lot of damage and wasted a lot of Items sprinting back. On top of just being loving hilarious.

I loving hate bitterblack ogres. They hit so hard and take so much goddamn punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ignimbrite posted:

I loving hate bitterblack ogres. They hit so hard and take so much goddamn punishment.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't move so fast

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Also that. Woops sorry I moved out of the sigil before it could activate and I OHKO'd two of your pawns in one hit because they're dumbfucks AND YOU'RE NEXT BUDDY

Orv
May 4, 2011

Onmi posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't move so fast

Torpor is your friend, abuse it.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't know for sure that I've seen an elder ogre, but last night I got stuck in some tunnel with an eliminator and what *may* have been an elder ogre. I am unsure because I got splattered so quickly and called it a night. Oops?

I really need some new armor soon though. BItterblack stuff isn't showing up nearly fast enough, and when it does it's a plate item for my fighter pawn.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Does Bitterblack progress, like the shortcuts to the surface, save across NG+?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I saw my brother try to 100% all of this poo poo on the 360, and wow, I'm glad they finally ported it to the PC so that it can go past 10 frames a second, this game's monster killing is still second to none. Other games will make it a quick-time event, but nooo, you grapple onto that fucker, run it aground, cripple that man-killing beast.

They're masterworks all, you can't go wrong.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Colapops posted:

I don't know for sure that I've seen an elder ogre, but last night I got stuck in some tunnel with an eliminator and what *may* have been an elder ogre. I am unsure because I got splattered so quickly and called it a night. Oops?

I really need some new armor soon though. BItterblack stuff isn't showing up nearly fast enough, and when it does it's a plate item for my fighter pawn.

If it was in Bitterblack, it was, I ran into one in a room with an Eliminator after killing a Skeleton mage.

This time I managed to take them out with Lightning Damage. I can't say there was a... fight so much as running around aimlessly while laying Runes and running about endlessly

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

No! They hold the advantage!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
What'll - What'll - What'll it be today, then?

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
The Steam forum is starting to give me headache... I think I'll stick to this one instead. If anyone wants my pawn, the ID is: l_hamalainen

I think she gets to look a bit more like a troll or something soon, though...

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So, forging items at the Black Cat, what is generally the best items (rare and otherwise) to forge?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
RNGsus was with me today and dragonforged two 1-star items from killing the Drake south of Shadowfort! Should probably finish up the main quest now, at lvl 55 on normal. It's just that running around killing and looting is so much fun!

Also I switched my pawn to Ranger with a 3-star Rusted Longbow and he's not even half as effective as he was being a Strider with a regular 3-star Rusted Bow. Gonna stick it out until I get the more swag longbow skills and see how he fares but he really was crowdcontrolling like a champ before the switch. Thinking Ranger pawn is better for damaging weak points while Strider is king Torpor?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Koorisch posted:

So, forging items at the Black Cat, what is generally the best items (rare and otherwise) to forge?

From the top of my head: Moonshimmer pelt, Maleficent Heart, Idol of the All-Mother, Bone Lantern, Scythe shard, Bone Crest. Depending on what you need.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

From the top of my head: Moonshimmer pelt, Maleficent Heart, Idol of the All-Mother, Bone Lantern, Scythe shard, Bone Crest. Depending on what you need.

What about anything that you get before endgame/BBI?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Schurik posted:

Does Bitterblack progress, like the shortcuts to the surface, save across NG+?

Nope.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
In the maingame I only forge some of the items which you have to collect for the Alehouse quest board, Ambrosial Meat, Kept Giant Fish etc. The main quest is easy enough so that equip upgrading is not a must so while stuff like Griffin Claws is hard to collect it's not worth all the running back and forth.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Fargin Icehole posted:

Other games will make it a quick-time event, but nooo, you grapple onto that fucker, run it aground, cripple that man-killing beast.

Games is also including comedy-sidekick-cut scenes beeing just part of the actual gameplay, like early in the game when my pawn grabbed the leg of a Cyclopse and while he was dragged along shouted towards me 'finish him while I hold him down'. :unsmith:

I love how so much that would end up a cutscene or a QTE is just actual gameplay happening at random in this one.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
lol I picked up a Saurian mid-fight and carried it around like some big dumb scaly baby... this game is fantastic.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I really need the RNG to give me some Wakestone shards or just Wakestones, Each room is tending to spawn a Necrophage encounter, I don't think I may survive to the final boss.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Koorisch posted:

What about anything that you get before endgame/BBI?

Ah, there's a couple of quest rewards you should forge if you can. The Wyrmking ring you get from a quest is very useful, so you can make a forgery and deliver that. Then there's the gold idol that still gives you the 30% discount even if it is a forgery, so that one is useful to forge, seeing as you need to turn in the original to open up a better stock of weapons.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Koorisch posted:

The Snakeskin Purse. :argh:
Took me ages to find it on the PS3 and things didn't go much better on PC. I'm going to gift one to every pawn I hire from now on.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Ignimbrite posted:

Number 1 reason I made my pawn into a ranger with rusted weapons, made cursed dragons a joke too.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Onmi posted:

I really need the RNG to give me some Wakestone shards or just Wakestones, Each room is tending to spawn a Necrophage encounter, I don't think I may survive to the final boss.

Go to the Everfall for a bit. You'll get wakestones like crazy and iys a good bit easier. Even ignoring the Ur-Dragon's 20 almost every big monster drops 2 and little ones drop shards frequently.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay I think I've hit my limit. When the room is 3 Garms, 2 Gorecyclopse Giants, and then a bunch of Corrupted Pawns and Sirens, I do not think I can win this room with the Garm spawn.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 23, 2016

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If my pawn has been a sorc for almost 50 levels is it still worth to switch to warrior just making a different party setup? I get all these kickass items for fighter/warrior classes and cant use them.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Onmi posted:

Okay I think I've hit my limit. When the room is 3 Garms, 2 Gorecyclopse Giants, and then a bunch of Corrupted Pawns and Sirens, I do not think I can win this room with the Garm spawn.

Haha I just lucked my may through that room on hard an hour ago. It's a loving joke. Especially since the Garms are able to stun you, then maul you, and the mauling is impossible to L-Stick wiggle out of, or heal through, or be saved by pawns.

Pulled one at a time and saved inbetween. Left the second Goreclops to rot.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

radintorov posted:

The Snakeskin Purse. :argh:
Took me ages to find it on the PS3 and things didn't go much better on PC. I'm going to gift one to every pawn I hire from now on.

The wiki has a picture of a place where you supposedly can find it every time. I don't think I've bothered looking for it more than once.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

If my pawn has been a sorc for almost 50 levels is it still worth to switch to warrior just making a different party setup? I get all these kickass items for fighter/warrior classes and cant use them.

I was asking myself this same question and I honestly say go for it if you want. I did the math and after 50 levels of sorc, another 40 or so levels of strider until level 100 would put my pawn at about 60 less strength than if it had been a strider all along (and granted also 400-500 less HP/stamina), albeit more defenses and magic attack which I think is helpful for enchanted weapons?

It might not be some min-maxed optimal pawn but given how many random guardian-inclination pawns I still see in the rift, I hold to the play the game how you want mantra.

E: to make it extra clear after asking myself these questions I changed up my sorc to a strider because why the hell not.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Koorisch posted:

Love-in-the-rough is a once per run item that you need for upgrading some stuff so that.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Is there any way to approximate the Ur grace period? It's at about half health right now.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i picked a really bad voice for my main pawn by accident, how long before I can change it?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jose posted:

i picked a really bad voice for my main pawn by accident, how long before I can change it?

There's a barber in Gran Soren where you can change it. Just remember to pick the most expensive option.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Jose posted:

Kill a thing in the Encampment (You'll know), wait a bit and then talk to the new merchant in the tent. He'll sell an item for Rift Points.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Guys, the Dragon fight was reeeeeally cool and all but I have one lingering question:

Do wolves hunt in packs?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
We may never know.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Schurik posted:

Haha I just lucked my may through that room on hard an hour ago. It's a loving joke. Especially since the Garms are able to stun you, then maul you, and the mauling is impossible to L-Stick wiggle out of, or heal through, or be saved by pawns.

Pulled one at a time and saved inbetween. Left the second Goreclops to rot.

i ran through to the other side and then turned around after passing through the door, this Despawned the Pawns and moved the Garms to the starting room. Then I was able to take each Goreclopse out one by one, before finally taking each Garm out the same way (thankfully I have a lightning buff for that.)

Now. I've made it to the Arisen's refuge, I can prepare for the final boss in a few more floors, and build my skills accordingly.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Can I inflict Torpor/Poison from a Rusted Sword/Mace with Great Cannon?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Can I inflict Torpor/Poison from a Rusted Sword/Mace with Great Cannon?

The sigils and orbs can also transmit debilitations from the weapon used to strike it, such as Silence from Golden Weapons or Torpor and Poison from Rusted Weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Kiggles posted:

-The Duke never got over taking the Dragon's bargain, and Aelinore looking so much like the one he sacrificed was a focus for his madness. On the one hand it was like he had Lenore back. On the other a remainder of his cowardice.
-If you did the Arousing Suspicion quest the Duke calls Aelinore "Lenore". He isn't just slurring his speech, he's actually calling her Lenore. It's also a wonder why he would apparently be trying to kill her if he reminds him of his lost love, but speculation is he was frightened that if "Lenore" was still alive the Dragon's bargain would be null and would soon come for him.
This is a while back, but something interesting about her name is that it's clearly some derivation of the modern Eleanor, whose etymology is Aliénor, which is a concatenation meaning "the other Aenor". The things Crusader Kings make you interested in.