Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Last night I went to bed instead of waiting in the pleb-queue with +400 premium moneyhavers. The premium line was still growing last I saw. Waited about 5 hours before realizing I just wasn't logging on tonight.

Now the servers are dead and the devs don't know what do? Game's kinda popular I guess. Also HOLY poo poo theres a ton of people that bought premium for this game it's kind of nuts..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just found out about this game. Looks pretty neat, but is this going to last longer than a few weeks before the servers are ghost towns? D:

edit: how is the pvp in this game?

Etrips fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 23, 2016

spidergoats
May 20, 2001
It's not really an option to play without premium right now. I entered the non-premium queue yesterday at 3:30 with less than 500 before me. At 8:30 I was still waiting. Bought the student pack, entered a 200 premium queue and was in in under 3 minutes.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The premium queue is weird in that whenever its over 200 I always seem to get in once my position in queue gets near 100.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Etrips posted:

Good. 1v1 and 3v3 are gear-equalized so all you need is max level to participate on an even playing field. Class balance is a little wonky because of the patch/level cap situation we're in, but a lot of that comes down to different class matchups and player skill as well, and that sort of stuff will even out as we get to 50 cap.

Open-world pvp is also pretty fun but gear matters there so you'll have to work harder to keep up.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Hra Mormo posted:

The premium queue is weird in that whenever its over 200 I always seem to get in once my position in queue gets near 100.

Not all channels are unlocked even when the server is at capacity, so I'm guessing they use the closed channels to grab premium players in batches, unlocking them on demand.

Edit: Then again those channels might only be there to meet demand for that particular map, so who knows.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 23, 2016

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Etrips posted:

Just found out about this game. Looks pretty neat, but is this going to last longer than a few weeks before the servers are ghost towns? D:

I hear that the PVP (and combat in general) is really good. Though, my PVP experience consists of putting on PVP cloths on accident and getting attacked by 2 separate players (and owning them. Thanks catfriend!)

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Ass_Burgerer posted:

I hear that the PVP (and combat in general) is really good. Though, my PVP experience consists of putting on PVP cloths on accident and getting attacked by 2 separate players (and owning them. Thanks catfriend!)

There's a drat pop-up that warns you.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The tooltip is actually pretty easy to miss. I've not had any tutorial pop-ups or anything about PVP so far, weirdly.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

cathead posted:

Good. 1v1 and 3v3 are gear-equalized so all you need is max level to participate on an even playing field. Class balance is a little wonky because of the patch/level cap situation we're in, but a lot of that comes down to different class matchups and player skill as well, and that sort of stuff will even out as we get to 50 cap.

Open-world pvp is also pretty fun but gear matters there so you'll have to work harder to keep up.

Awesome, sounds like something I want to try out while I'm snowed in. I know that it is still early, but are there any classes that are more under/over powered?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Anoia posted:

There's a drat pop-up that warns you.

This. Just lol if you haven't bloodied your hands by now anyways

My only problem with being in the Cerulean Order is that blood is easily visible on my clothing after a fresh Crimson kill. If it's Red, make them dead has worked out for me well.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I guess login servers are down right now. There appears to be no ETA.
https://twitter.com/bladeandsoul
https://twitter.com/BladeAndSoulOps
https://forums.bladeandsoul.com/topic/154651-na-emergency-maintenance-1232016/

Some classes start off really slow - Destroyer is one that starts slow. They are very tanky and their RMB hurts, but it murders your Focus bar.

Once you get up and able to put points in your skills, you can get things that recharges your Focus bar faster. You can also get Eradicate and Execute, which are great.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 23, 2016

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
The twenty-some-odd levels until you get the chokehold to upper-cut launch to arial suplex combo are just to prevent everyone from always only playing Destroyer...

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Servers are up! For now....

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Etrips posted:

Awesome, sounds like something I want to try out while I'm snowed in. I know that it is still early, but are there any classes that are more under/over powered?

I'd say play what you enjoy the playstyle of the most. Things will be changing quickly as we get on newer balance patches and get the cap raised to 50. You'll benefit a lot more from practicing with a class you enjoy from the start rather than trying to play something later and losing anyway because you're poo poo at the class.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
Still having issues getting the updater to actually behave. Stuck on 8.1 mb / 16.1 mb

Someone mentioned finding a torrent in the files to download it manually but I don't see it anywhere.

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

I finally got in the game. My in game name is Heerui. Which guild has spots open on mushin?

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Amante posted:

As far as I know (which isn't much), you can some... are all soloable though?

There's only actually three purple dungeons in the game right now. The two ones you hit while leveling, Blackram Narrows and Tomb of the Exiles, are both soloable as a Destroyer without the gear from that instance (and substantially easier once you do have the gear from them) and presumably other classes besides. The one at cap has a gear requirement high enough that it might be soloable, but not without better gear than I have.

Jamizzy99
Jul 4, 2007
So is there any hope of actually getting into the server without paying priority queue?

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Jamizzy99 posted:

So is there any hope of actually getting into the server without paying priority queue?

My friends who are not premium tried logging in when I got home at 7pm pst yesterday, and they finally got on around 11pm. That's on Jiwan. So it's not impossible, but 4+hour queues at prime times are not unexpected.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
You could pick one of the "new" servers. Arenas and Dungeons, the real meat of the game, are entirely cross-server. If you take the time to add someone to your friends list, you can even chat with them in-game, regardless of which server you're on.

The Big Bad Worf fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 23, 2016

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

Clairetic posted:

My friends who are not premium tried logging in when I got home at 7pm pst yesterday, and they finally got on around 11pm. That's on Jiwan. So it's not impossible, but 4+hour queues at prime times are not unexpected.

Jiwan is the most popular server by a large margin, though. Queues on Mushin and Old Man Cho should be a bit better.

Or yeah, you can roll on one of the new servers and hope they merge them or at least offer paid transfers when they inevitably become ghost towns.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
It's me, I'm the guy farming Pinchy for his outfit instead of already being max lvl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I farmed the lair of the yutaty for that outfit. Max level doesn't matter in MMOs. It's all about max fashion.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Dress-up is the real endgame of every MMO.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

chumbler posted:

I farmed the lair of the yutaty for that outfit. Max level doesn't matter in MMOs. It's all about max fashion.

Schubalts posted:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

This is another reason why I feel forced to play a Summoner. They can even dress up their catfriend! :kimchi:

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I can understand not having all the content as the east does from the start but it is a shame we don't get the extra classes, soul fighter looks like a lot of fun.

Tiger Millionaire fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2016

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Me and a friend are playing this together... is going Force Master and Summoner going to be gimpy for us? Can my cat be our 'tank'?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

KittyEmpress posted:

Me and a friend are playing this together... is going Force Master and Summoner going to be gimpy for us? Can my cat be our 'tank'?

You don't need a tank and no.

Edit: To elaborate, FM + melee that can't draw aggro is annoying as gently caress. But since you're both ranged, it won't matter.

As for the Cat, it won't keep aggro against a FM, despite being capable of tanking.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 23, 2016

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

If specced properly, cats are very good tanks, you won't be dissapointed. FMs can also spec for a defensive build and tank in a pinch as well.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

I'm looking at playing a lot with a friend who's already rolled a Blade Master. If I play Blade dancer how much will I be stepping on his toes? Or do they differ enough it doesn't feel like we're just playing the same class.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

LordVorbis posted:

I'm looking at playing a lot with a friend who's already rolled a Blade Master. If I play Blade dancer how much will I be stepping on his toes? Or do they differ enough it doesn't feel like we're just playing the same class.

You have some some overlapping skills (hell, you share a skill with summoners) but the play styles are very different. I wouldn't worry about it.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

cathead posted:

First of all, PvPing at low levels is going to be kind of painful as you're generally lacking the skills and skill points that give your class all the tools it needs. You might want to give yourself some more time in PvE to get more skills/points and get used to the class before you start thinking about going hard on PvP.

A lot of your issues are just a matter of just knowing what your class is capable of, and what OTHER classes are capable of. It takes some work as there's a lot of skill interactions on both sides that you need to get used to, but it's pretty rewarding once you get it down. This is probably the biggest thing that makes BnS similar to fighting games. Hajoon's combo training usually covers some really basic parts of your kit, but for the rest you're just going to have to look elsewhere. It's not always easy to find but there's stuff out there for every class. Check bladeandsouldojo's class forums and see what you can get from there, and check youtube for guides or combo videos for your class so you can get a visual idea of things to combine with what you're reading. Experiment with different builds and look at all the different ways your skills can change depending on how they're specced. Once you've got a good handle on your class then it's time to start looking at OTHER classes and how your matchup is with them so you can understand what to watch for them to do and how to handle it. Sometimes it's even a good idea to just make the class and play it for a bit so you can get a better idea of how they play in general.

I haven't played BD to cap but the main thing they usually need is to have their Vortex (Tab) specced down the tree that gives it a 0.5 sec deflect. This allows you to use your spin often and force your enemy to try and time it so they don't get deflected (basically the same problem you were having against them). Q/E are also useful at close range to move around someone who's blocking the front or to dodge someone's attacks since they give you invulnerability frames. Then you're basically looking for an opening to get some CC off (stun, daze, or knockdown, you'll need to spec your skills for some of this stuff) and then launch them into an air combo (requires stun or daze, then hit F to knock them up and then you have a couple of options with LMB and RMB to keep them in the air) or go into draw stance and spam lightning flash (right tree for flash step, which is F in draw stance with a lightning focus) and LMB (flicker, I think?) on them. Hopefully those names are right, bnstree doesn't use the NA translations for everything. Also, beware that people have CC escapes that they'll use, so you'll probably need to try multiple times to get them to blow their escapes first before you actually get something off on them. Again, a lot of this stuff will require higher levels and skill points to be able to get so you might have to wait a bit.

Anyway, BnSTree is super useful for looking at builds and stuff. It has effect "tags" for each skill so if you're looking for where all your stuns or dazes or whatever are you can just type those terms in the search bar and it will show you all abilities that either have it baseline or could be specced to have them. Most good guides should have a linked build to bnstree so just look at stuff and compare it with videos and in-game, and see if you can derive an understanding of the class from all of that. Good luck! :v:

I guess if I had to summarize what to focus on in general for any class it'd be:
-Know your CC, what types they are, and what skills have it or can be specced to do it
-Know your big damage combos and what setup they need (air combo, draw stance, etc.)
-Know your invulnerability frames and block/counter/deflects, again what skills have it by default or can be specced for it

Then you'll have an idea of how to keep yourself alive (iframes and deflects), how to get the other guy to stand the gently caress still (CC), and how to actually hurt them once they're standing still (damage combos).

Thanks for this awesome post. I talked with someone in a clan I'm in, and she suggested that I'd wait until I reach like level 40+ to do Blade Dancer pvp as all the core abilities and combos to dish out proper damage isn't available until then.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Don't log out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What is it that people don't like about Destroyers? They seem to catch a lot of flak in the cesspools that are faction and region chat.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What is it that people don't like about Destroyers? They seem to catch a lot of flak in the cesspools that are faction and region chat.

They kinda feel a bit one dimensional to play, but that is probably not what they are complaining about. More likely it's just people not liking being cced.

RobertDanger
Dec 4, 2003
Here comes danger!

I made the mistake of logging out haha. I got to level 8 before that though. 1500 in queue so I guess I will be able to play tomorrow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Anything I should be putting points into right away as blade dancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I don't really understand the point of these goofy survey questions, this game is just translated from Korea it's not like any answers we give will cause them to make any actual changes. I keep answering them though because they are tied to loot. I guess that's one way to get people to fill out that kind of thing.

• Locked thread