Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

Unless you live in the loving rain forest, wash your loving hands and you will be fine.

Yep that sure helps when your opponent's grimy hands are also shuffling your cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Playpoints are Wizards scrip to reward you for winning by giving you nothing. You can't trade or sell them and the only value they have is in entering more tournaments. So if you do even moderately well you'll end up with more points than you could ever possibly use. My friend was over 2000 (which is ~$200) last time I watched him stream.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yep that sure helps when your opponent's grimy hands are also shuffling your cards.

"Judge" "Opponents hands are gross and he wants to shuffle my cards"

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Attorney at Funk posted:

It saw a lot of play in mono-red decks in its Standards. (aggro in INN-RTR, devotion in RTR-THS)

I played the poo poo out of Ash Zealot in mono-R devotion.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

The actual best flavor text:

Quoted for truth. The second best flavor text in this vein is Skullcrack.

Chill la Chill posted:

That's a shame. I hated OG dragon shields because they stuck together and later had sizing problems. I was hoping they were better with the matte version. Stickiness is always a problem with glossy sleeves that mattes never have. How they even hosed that up is beyond me. :psyduck:

Don't list to Balon. Matted Dragon Shields are straight up THE best sleeves on the market right now. All of my decks minus one are in DG Mattes and the biggest issue I have had is dust collected at the very top of sleeve around the opening. Not a single one has split, and I have had zero grime build-up.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 23, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

Unless you live in the loving rain forest, wash your loving hands and you will be fine.

I might as well, it's called next door to the

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

"Judge" "Opponents hands are gross and he wants to shuffle my cards"
Yeah ok I'll believe this when I see it.

AlternateNu posted:

Don't list to Balon. Matted Dragon Shields are straight up THE best sleeves on the market right now. All but one of my decks minus one are in DG Mattes and the biggest issue I have had is dust collected at the very top of sleeve around the opening. Not a single one has split, and I have had zero grime build-up.
I still have a couple packs of KMC left but will consider getting the DG mattes next time I buy a case. I've always bought cases from potomac dist as they are much cheaper (board games require a ton of sleeves) but last for many years so these KMCs will probably last for a while.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
:siren: :siren: Patrick Sullivan is back! :siren: :siren:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

A big flaming stink posted:

:siren: :siren: Patrick Sullivan is back! :siren: :siren:

Yeah. He was always going to be back. He's just not full time contracted.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

This Abzan Aggro deck is running Sylvan Advocate, which someone in here was thinking was pretty good. We'll see if it pulls its weight.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The card definitely has potential to be good. It has upside of being a 2/3 with vigilance for 2, which is sometimes good enough, and lategame it's a 4/5 with vigilance which also may affect cards you're running.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

The card definitely has potential to be good. It has upside of being a 2/3 with vigilance for 2, which is sometimes good enough, and lategame it's a 4/5 with vigilance which also may affect cards you're running.

The main thing is with shambling vents and warden running around, it doesn't eat your mana, unlike, say, Deathdealer.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The main alternatives are Snapping Gnarlid and Heir of the Wilds. It's a bit worse at attacking in the early game than those but it's decent at defending and scales up better in the lategame.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Ramos posted:

This Abzan Aggro deck is running Sylvan Advocate, which someone in here was thinking was pretty good. We'll see if it pulls its weight.

That was me, and I maintain that it is a very playable card. Six lands isn't a high threshold in a world of Explosive Vegetations and Oblivion Sowers. 4/5 vigilance with upside for 2 is definitely going to find a home, if maybe a limited one.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One interesting thing about the Twin ban, there is a card that stopped the combo for one black mana, and it saw next to no play.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Konstantin posted:

One interesting thing about the Twin ban, there is a card that stopped the combo for one black mana, and it saw next to no play.

sorcery speed

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Konstantin posted:

It saw no play because there are a boundless horde of better cards to play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stinkles1112 posted:

That was me, and I maintain that it is a very playable card. Six lands isn't a high threshold in a world of Explosive Vegetations and Oblivion Sowers. 4/5 vigilance with upside for 2 is definitely going to find a home, if maybe a limited one.

It might be good in the ramp decks but I hate it in Abzan Aggro... It's not as good a blocker as Hier and not as aggressive as Snapping Gnarled.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Konstantin posted:

I played this when the LGS had a lot of twin players and a couple token tokens regulars. :)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

It might be good in the ramp decks but I hate it in Abzan Aggro... It's not as good a blocker as Hier and not as aggressive as Snapping Gnarled.

But it's more midrange-y than either of them, so hey.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

The point is that the deck needs some cards to be a little more aggro in that slot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ramos posted:

It's really not since it's meh as a 2/3 and by the time a deck with no ramp gets to 6 mana it's way outclassed.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Went undefeated last night at the LGS Release Sealed with a really "meh" pool. No bombs or synergistic elements (had like 4 allies total in the pool, one ingest guy and no processors, one landfall guy and a retreat). Ended up just going blue red aggro, with the blue providing evasion and prowess while the red provided hasty / trample guys and combat tricks. Built the deck using the tips from the CABS article that someone linked earlier and I smashed all my opponents 2-0. Drew in the last round and rolled home with an FNM promo and a bunch of packs

And holy poo poo the financiers / binder Sharks were out in full force.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

Went undefeated last night at the LGS Release Sealed with a really "meh" pool. No bombs or synergistic elements (had like 4 allies total in the pool, one ingest guy and no processors, one landfall guy and a retreat). Ended up just going blue red aggro, with the blue providing evasion and prowess while the red provided hasty / trample guys and combat tricks. Built the deck using the tips from the CABS article that someone linked earlier and I smashed all my opponents 2-0. Drew in the last round and rolled home with an FNM promo and a bunch of packs

And holy poo poo the financiers / binder Sharks were out in full force.

We got snowed in but now that I did a bunch of inventory and realizing I'm not gonna play all these extra decks, I can't wait to see the lowball offers I get for my stuff. :3: Really hoping someone tries to get me to trade my foil burnwillows for a hundred each.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

mcmagic posted:

It's really not since it's meh as a 2/3 and by the time a deck with no ramp gets to 6 mana it's way outclassed.

It's not so much that it gets outclassed by then as it is that it's a two drop that scales up if it makes to the late game, and also I'm going to jam this guy and Noyan Dar and Ojutai's Command and stuff all together and it's gonna be sweet.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Suffice to say, next FNM I'm bringing my Eldrazi Turbo Titans instead of that Zombie Hunt.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Stormchaser Mage is 20 bucks foil.

:negative:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

There's currently a UR prowess mirror on. The decks are playing 4 Stormchaser Mage, all the new 1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise. Seems pretty sweet.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's currently a UR prowess mirror on. The decks are playing 4 Stormchaser Mage, all the new 1 mana cantrips and Treasure Cruise. Seems pretty sweet.

Also, Jace.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

Also, Jace.

Wanna build this deck and replace Jace with Elusive Spellfist :shobon:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Sickening posted:

If you are making dragon shield mattes sticky you need to wash your loving disgusting hands every once in a while. That is the only way you are making these things sticky.

Cleanliness is godliness, sir. I find its more an issue with upturned edges in the sleeves. Ive had the same issue with two different boxes of them.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I've been testing the UR Prowess, and it is pretty sweet. If you want to play it and don't have Jaces, don't worry. In my testing it's almost better to not have any Jaces and instead have more burn or draw.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Why not have white for Mantis Rider also? And you get other good options like Silkwrap and Surge of Righteousness and Seeker of the Way. That's what I've been brewing.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

stinkles1112 posted:

Why not have white for Mantis Rider also? And you get other good options like Silkwrap and Surge of Righteousness and Seeker of the Way. That's what I've been brewing.

White's a great color to splash and just make it Jeskai Prowess. I personally would forego Mantis Rider and put in Monastery Mentor instead. The deck seems to need as few creatures as possible to make the most out of such a large number of cantrips to fuel Prowess; and in that respect, Mantis Rider kinda sticks out amidst other choices.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mantis Rider seems a bit expensive for the deck and isn't really much better than your other threats in the context of this shell. I can imagine playing Monastery Mentor though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

stinkles1112 posted:

I'm waiting for the stormchasers a I order a week ago to show up but I have this deck ready to go using ascendancy to combo out with the man lands as well as an alt win-con. Who knows if it will work!!

No mantis rider just a few ascendancys and mentors.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
If you're going to splash white, might as well try Jeskai Ascendancy as well.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
What are the lists you guys are seeing running for dudes? Just Swiftspear, Stormchaser and Jace? That seems so brittle.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

stinkles1112 posted:

What are the lists you guys are seeing running for dudes? Just Swiftspear, Stormchaser and Jace? That seems so brittle.

Swiftspear, stormchaser, abbot, Jace mentor and man lands.

The brew I'm working with has
4 spears
4 stormchasers
4 abbots
2 Jace
2 mentor

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Reminder that Recurring Nightmare is the best combination of powerful, fun, and utterly oppressive card in legacy cube, and to never pass it (and to always open it P1P1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Reminder that Recurring Nightmare is the best combination of powerful, fun, and utterly oppressive card in legacy cube, and to never pass it (and to always open it P1P1).

Its also the best art in the cube.

• Locked thread