Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

CherryCat posted:

I've got a con in September and really, really want to go as Shepard from Mass Effect. I'm just not sure where to get materials (UK based) or if I even have the skill/equipment to make the armour. I have a few backup ideas but frankly feel too chubby for most of them.

I'm not UK based but if you aren't sure where to find EVA foam where you are I would post on the Replica Prop Forum either on facebook or their site and ask, I'm 100% sure there will be local people who can give you specific advice! Also you almost certainly aren't, do your thing and have fun and gently caress everybody else IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.

McPantserton posted:

I'm not UK based but if you aren't sure where to find EVA foam where you are I would post on the Replica Prop Forum either on facebook or their site and ask, I'm 100% sure there will be local people who can give you specific advice! Also you almost certainly aren't, do your thing and have fun and gently caress everybody else IMO.

Speaking of RPF, congrats Pants on making one of their fb front pages posts yesterday.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

fallin1 posted:

Speaking of RPF, congrats Pants on making one of their fb front pages posts yesterday.

Aaaa thanks, I'm so excited about it! My facebook traffic is usually super low and I'm still getting a ton of comments and stuff today, yayyy :woop: and just in time because I finally got to do some photos and editing literally today.

Posted in the PYF thread too but

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Great shots! The Christmas lights really add something at the end. :haw: You look fantastic.

It's so nice to finally get some snow up here.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

CherryCat posted:

I've got a con in September and really, really want to go as Shepard from Mass Effect. I'm just not sure where to get materials (UK based) or if I even have the skill/equipment to make the armour. I have a few backup ideas but frankly feel too chubby for most of them.

What are your backup ideas? Don't worry about being too chubby, September is eight months away and that's plenty of time to get in shape. Working out is cosplay prep.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

McPantserton posted:

If EVA foam is the stuff those exercise floor mats are made from then basically any Argos or big sports equipment store sells these in the UK.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice

blastron posted:

What are your backup ideas? Don't worry about being too chubby, September is eight months away and that's plenty of time to get in shape. Working out is cosplay prep.

Capable from Mad Max, female Fourth Doctor or a BB-8 swing dress with a little pillbox hat that looks like his head/antenna.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

CherryCat posted:

a BB-8 swing dress with a little pillbox hat that looks like his head/antenna.

Today in ideas I am sorely tempted to steal, oh my god :3:

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

McPantserton posted:

Today in ideas I am sorely tempted to steal, oh my god :3:

If it's any consolation, I know about 5 other people planning things just like this, so I wouldn't sweat it. There's like, 3/4 really big ticket things for 2016 that I am expecting a fairly big saturation of.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
OK, I've got 24 sq ft of EVA foam and a heat gun borrowed from my dad. Just need to get the pattern scaled and measured; I'm quite excited actually, I've never attempted something like this before.

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
I've been busy over the holiday period chugging away on my Diana armor and it's finally starting to look like something that makes sense. Only 9 weeks till the local con though so I have to get my A into G since I have no doubt painting will be a lengthy job too and I still need to make butt flaps and leg pieces.

Not shown in the picture are the arm pieces which I have also finished and base coated in paint.

I really like the finish of a bunch of coats of PVA before painting but I was wondering whether anyone has good methods for applying it more quickly to larger areas than just brushing? Has anyone tried spraying it on or does that just either clog up the spray bottle or is too watered down to stick?

I also got a couple of bottles of plastidip to experiment with to see if I like it since they were on special but on my test pieces it made a really odd dimply texture, like lots of tiny air bubbles got caught in it. I had a couple of goes and it happened both times. Has anyone else had this issue and/or has good ideas for avoiding it?
And since we are on painting questions, do you usually spray some kind of top-coat to seal the paint when you are done or do you just leave them as is?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

I have't tried using plastidip for armor before, but if I had to guess, it's reacting with your foam. Lots of things do, including most types of paint, so you might need to seal the foam with something it doesn't react with beforehand. I used wood glue for that on my last foam prop project because that's what I had, but you've got lots of options. I always seal my paint on things that are going to move, flex, or rub so that the paint doesn't crack or chip as easily, I usually don't bother otherwise.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I will attest that plasti-dip will melt some foams and cause it bubble and pock. Ironically, I got this while trying to work on a two-face mask

You can use wood glue, white glue or modge podge to seal foam first, I think.

lord_daeloth
Jun 2, 2004

This method probably doesn't require a video for explanation, but in case anyone was interested in a decent method and seeing results for plasti-dipping foam:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwQg6CX25A

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
Thanks for that video. It's really helpful. I guess I'll need to add a few layers of PVA glue before using plastidip. I also did another test piece with just the plastidip and used a slightly heavier coating which seems to have eliminated most of the bubble issue but it still does look better over PVA glue so I'll go with that.

I also did a test fit today of all the amor so far and a make-up test and am really happy with how everything is coming together. I still need to make the leg pieces and weapon and of course all the painting but at least it's starting to look like something that makes sense now. I am pretty stoked with how it looks given I've never done anything like this before. Now I just really really need to not gently caress up the paint job.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Dori posted:

Thanks for that video. It's really helpful. I guess I'll need to add a few layers of PVA glue before using plastidip. I also did another test piece with just the plastidip and used a slightly heavier coating which seems to have eliminated most of the bubble issue but it still does look better over PVA glue so I'll go with that.

I also did a test fit today of all the amor so far and a make-up test and am really happy with how everything is coming together. I still need to make the leg pieces and weapon and of course all the painting but at least it's starting to look like something that makes sense now. I am pretty stoked with how it looks given I've never done anything like this before. Now I just really really need to not gently caress up the paint job.

This is looking boss as gently caress, do not stop posting updates or I will die. ...OK maybe not die but this is kind of a costume progress deadzone time of year on my facebook so I'm really loving the badass inspiration!

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep

McPantserton posted:

This is looking boss as gently caress, do not stop posting updates or I will die. ...OK maybe not die but this is kind of a costume progress deadzone time of year on my facebook so I'm really loving the badass inspiration!

Thanks McPantserton. It's fantastic to get positive feedback from people who actually know what they are doing and make super awesome stuff like yourself and some deadzone filling has got to be a definite plus. ;)

I am starting to be in slight panic mode as the con is March 12/13th (judging one day and stage presentation/awards the next) and I am away a ton of weekends in February due to long weekends (and enjoying the summer and all that). But hopefully we'll get there. If not there's always the alternative option of entering the later comp in October but I don't really push out that far plus I think the competition in Auckland will be much tougher (bigger population and all that). My main concern is whether or not I will have time to make the weapon, as the costume would be significantly less awesome without it.
At least with having made the undersuit myself now instead of buying things I have a bit more wriggle room in the "must make 75% yourself without help" rule which the comp has and might be able to convince my partner to knock up the basic weapon structure for me to build on.

If anyone is interested I also have an imgur album with all the progress photos which I've just updated since my Facebook is set to friends only and that's the main place where I post all my costuming woes. http://imgur.com/a/oeKTc

On other competition questions (since I've never done one before): The comp I am entering has optional skits and not that many people seem to do them (there are no special awards for best skit but one of the 5 or so technical awards has previously been used for this purpose). Would those of you who've done comps recommend planning a skit over just posing? Is funny the way to go over serious (keeping in mind the League of Legends lore is extremely lame and uninteresting).

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What's in March, chch Armageddon?

(phone posting, so not going back to look)

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
Yep Christchurch, Dunedin and Manukau Armageddons are all in March. But I'm CHCH based so will be going to that.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For those of you who are good at 3d modeling or those of us who have a 3d printer, this is remarkably cool!

https://zortrax.com/3d-printing/zortrax_super_hero_mask/

Sorta like Batman Beyond meets Iron Man.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 27, 2016

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
You guys,
I just started a job where I have access to giant 3D printers, mills, routers, vacuforms, powder coating, and all sorts of exotic foams and materials.
Nobody else I know understands that I can finally do cosplay like I always wanted.

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep
I need some (more) advice on y Diana.

I have been doing some work on the undersuit because sewing is an easy thing to do at the local cosplay craft evening. The undersuit Diana has in the concept art has sort of tech lines over it which I'd quite like to capture. I tried two different methods: 1) creating strips of slight contrast 'welts' and sewing them onto the undersuit and 2) just painting on the lines.
The sewn on lines look nice as they are very noticeable and because I think they do look more like concept art but the sewing of them bunches the stretch fabric which the pants are made out of which I don't like.

Which method do you think looks better? Any other ideas for how to attach the strips without bunching my fabric (I sewed these on while wearing the pants to minimise bunching but it still happens :( )

Also I finished making boots. Very happy with these and this means all armor pieces are now constructed. I've also finished PVA coating about 1/2 of them now so get start painting! Yay finally something I know how to do.

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker
How do you pick your projects?

Dori
Jan 14, 2005
Abducted by sheep

oneof27 posted:

How do you pick your projects?

Previous costume projects for me have always been the result of some kind of themed event so that makes it easier. For specific events I mostly chose costumes based on comfort, timeline I have and something that is body appropriate for me. The last 2 especially tend to produce a fairly narrow selection and then I just chose what looks coolest. Sometimes I also coordinate with my husband.

For the Diana costume I decided that I really wanted to try and make an EVA-foam armor costume because all the ones posted about in this thread have been super cool and it's something I never worked with. So as a gaming geek I figured that'd be a good place to look for suitable ideas. I googled loads of cool pictures and characters for a couple of weeks and saved stuff I liked. I pulled up about 10 characters out of different games in the end (key criteria: minimise sewing as much as possible!). I discarded 5 on account of "too difficult for my first go", 2 more for "not wearing enough clothes for getting on stage at a con", and chose Diana our of the remaining three because I liked the look the best. I also liked the fact the although people might not know Diana most people will have heard of LOL so I am not super obscure.

I feel like a bad cosplayer for choosing a costume based on "I want to build a thing" + "what would look cool" as opposed to the "I love this character and really want to bring it to life" approach but I also see myself more as crafter of all sorts of random stuff and a cosplay costume is just the current project. But I do keep this quiet at the local cosplay group things I go to as most people there appear to think that the character love is fundamental to good cosplaying (I do like LOL a lot so I go with that).

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

oneof27 posted:

You guys,
I just started a job where I have access to giant 3D printers, mills, routers, vacuforms, powder coating, and all sorts of exotic foams and materials.
Nobody else I know understands that I can finally do cosplay like I always wanted.

Oh my god I'm so jealous

I googled "stretch applique" and found a lot of tips and tutorials, using iron-on stabilizer, sew, and tear the stabilizer off seems to be a common technique. Or could you carefully glue/hand-sew the lines on while wearing the leggings?

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

McPantserton posted:

Oh my god I'm so jealous

I googled "stretch applique" and found a lot of tips and tutorials, using iron-on stabilizer, sew, and tear the stabilizer off seems to be a common technique. Or could you carefully glue/hand-sew the lines on while wearing the leggings?

Yeah check out the sewing thread and see what goldaline has done. Very impressive. I wouldn't do it probably on a non flat garment.

I think drawing or painting would be fine though for what you have going on as the armor covers most of it anyways

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know of a material that looks like a circuit board but is flexible? Something preferably raised or having some detail to it?

Just looking to tweak out the inside of a mask for some detailing. Don't need yards upon yards of it, but just like a square foot tops.

Color doesn't matter as I can paint it if need be, but I'm just stuck trying to figure out what to even start searching for.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What are you trying to do? Just make the inside of your mask look appropriately 'techy'? You can buy fabric that has a circuit-pattern print, just google for 'circuit board pattern fabric' and you will get a number of results. Or so you need something with texture?

fallin1
May 14, 2007

...mostly MSG.
Guys, wish me luck I've decided to try something way ambitious for my next costume. I'm going to attempt to build a suit of X-01 power armor. It's going to be my first major foam armor project and I'm super nervous about it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Was hoping for something with some texture to it. Helps give it that 3d look/feel.

Originally I was just going to get gold netting or something and use it, but then I thought if there was an option for some flexible circuitry, that'd be a lot cooler looking.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

fallin1 posted:

Guys, wish me luck I've decided to try something way ambitious for my next costume. I'm going to attempt to build a suit of X-01 power armor. It's going to be my first major foam armor project and I'm super nervous about it.

Good luck! I'd love to build some T-45 armor someday.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Was hoping for something with some texture to it. Helps give it that 3d look/feel.

Originally I was just going to get gold netting or something and use it, but then I thought if there was an option for some flexible circuitry, that'd be a lot cooler looking.

Don't those daft punk helmets have flexible circuit boards or something similar ?

oneof27
May 27, 2007
DSMtalker

McPantserton posted:

Oh my god I'm so jealous

It's crazy!
This is my shop.
http://animaxdesigns.com

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Don't know how much they'll run you, but poo poo like laptops have flexible circuitry to connect things through hinges, etc. A bit of Googling suggests the term "flex PCB."

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm on the Fallout train too, was contemplating T60 myself but after how big Arthas was I'm leaning cage armor instead, I think. And I'm building a lifesized prop Codsworth, already started getting poo poo together for him :D

e. looking at something like this, I'm really wanting to make a Fat Man and/or shishkebab to go with it

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

McPantserton posted:

...a lifesized prop Codsworth...

Do you just have, like, a second house you store cosplay props in?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Magnus Praeda posted:

Do you just have, like, a second house you store cosplay props in?

My apartment is basically a clown car of cosplays and tools. I just got a dressform for my birthday too, things are getting out of hand.

But part of why I want to do Codsworth (besides the fact that I love him forever and ever) is that he can hang from the ceiling in the corner behind my TV and he won't take up any actual usable space once he's done.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you just start cosplaying every day, you can burn all your normal clothes and free up a ton of closet space for projects!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I think I've settled on my next project...

For reference, this was my last project...

It's a little tricky since there's not too much refernce material out there yet, but I've got enough to get him from most angles and I can freestyle anything that I can't see. I just ordered 100ft of 12gauge wire so I can drive myself insane with the chainmail early. From what I can tell, this should be an easier costume to wear - Artorias' arms were pretty hard to put on / wear, so just having pauldrons/elbows/gauntlets should make it easier to get into and wear. I also love armoured characters that are filthy/burned/corrupted, since those effects are much easier to render than pristine armour.

I think the biggest challenges are going to be figuring out how to make the sword with the materials at my disposal, and making enough chainmail to over my arms/torso (I'm going to repurpose the waist chainmail from Arty though, gently caress making all that again). I'm also not sure where I'm going to get the leather straps, but I think I've got an idea.

Dat helmet tho... can't wait to start on that. That's going to be a steel wire frame and Sculpey.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think there's some show at a tokyo mall that has a statue of that dude.

Not helpful if you aren't in tokyo but it might be worth searching around to see if anyone has some pics of the setup in the mall. It's supposed to have costumes, statues, posters, etc.