Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Reflector Mage and Ayli seem decent in Rally. Kalitas unsurprisingly seems good against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I like what OGW has done to the format so far

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Reflector Mage and Ayli seem decent in Rally. Kalitas unsurprisingly seems good against it.

Jeff punted hard not sacking the vampire he had to make it lethal after attacking.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GeneX posted:

I like what OGW has done to the format so far

Keep in mind, this is the first week, it always has a lot of variety before everyone narrows down on the best set of decks.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Ramos posted:

Keep in mind, this is the first week, it always has a lot of variety before everyone narrows down on the best set of decks.

on the one hand, yes

on the other hand, remember what the first week of bfz was like

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Reminder that Jace TMS is the best combination of powerful, fun, and utterly oppressive card in legacy cube, and to never pass it (and to always open it P1P1).

Also always have a turn 4 griselbrand or, in a pinch, grave titan. God, UB reanimator is easily the best deck in this cube

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 23, 2016

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GeneX posted:

on the one hand, yes

on the other hand, remember what the first week of bfz was like

Honestly no, which I guess just makes your point.

I do remember the goggle decks from Origins though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Don't tell me there wasn't something magical about 5c Bring to Light

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
if Korey McDuffie doesn't stop fanning his graveyard for no reason I am going to punch his face through the computer

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Well that match sure made UR prowess look lovely

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

A big flaming stink posted:

Well that match sure made UR prowess look lovely

The new bushwhacker is pretty great in that matchup.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

En Fuego posted:

The new bushwhacker is pretty great.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Dragon shield mattes are better than KMCs

Agreed. The best ones are the newer variants that are flatter, which I believe are only turquoise and copper.

All my modern decks are sleeved in coppers because I swap so many cards between them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ShaneB posted:

Agreed. The best ones are the newer variants that are flatter, which I believe are only turquoise and copper.

All my modern decks are sleeved in coppers because I swap so many cards between them.

Every deck I have is double sleeved in black KMC hyper-mattes. Also every card in my binders are in perfect fits regardless. It makes it easy to swap cards around from standard to legacy to modern to commander (mostly mana bases).

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator
So I was playing the new player sealed event thing and MTGO just gave my opponent 140 random cards instead of the deck he built.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

superstepa posted:

So I was playing the new player sealed event thing and MTGO just gave my opponent 140 random cards instead of the deck he built.

You were playing new player sealed and your opponent didn't understand how to submit a deck in MTGO

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

Devor posted:

You were playing new player sealed and your opponent didn't understand how to submit a deck in MTGO

You are probably right, although you only get 6 packs so I feel like you really need to try in order to mess up that badly

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

superstepa posted:

You are probably right, although you only get 6 packs so I feel like you really need to try in order to mess up that badly

they auto-give you some hilariously large amount of lands iirc

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Reflector Mage is going to make this deck horrible to play against.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Let me get out my tiniest violin for Abzan Aggro

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bad though the flavor text was, I always thought it was a shame it didn't see more play. a 2/2 haste first-strike for two should be playable! Guess double red does that.

RTR mana was loving incredible. The problem was Ash Zealot got to get squished by assorted X/3s and X/4s for her entire tenure.

Not to mention she was in the same set as the Sphinx's Rev/Supreme Verdict shell that made WUx control not give a gently caress about a 2/2 beater for 2.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I automatically root against anyone who wears a suit and tie to a Magic tournament. .

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

I automatically root against anyone who wears a suit and tie to a Magic tournament. .

Rooting against todd stevens automatically makes you a giant baby. Don't be a giant baby.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sickening posted:

Rooting against todd stevens automatically makes you a giant baby. Don't be a giant baby.

Never mind that, it means you're rooting for Brad Nelson.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

Brad's a nice dude. I have no issue rooting for him.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I am biased because he is a local player I see around a lot. He is just a grinder that doesn't smell bad, never has a bad attitude, and generally is what you wish the rest of the players would be in your competitive scene. I hope he does well again today.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I haven't been watching because they show boring mirrors on camera. What is Kory McDuffie playing? (I guess we all have a local player or two who we cheer for at these events)

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Have Reality Smasher and Though-Knot made an appearance yet? It feels like all they're showing is rally mirrors and azban/esper

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

mcmagic posted:

Brad's a nice dude. I have no issue rooting for him.

Brad Nelson's a drunk.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Star Man posted:

Brad Nelson's a drunk.

Sounds awesome.

playground tough
Oct 29, 2007
I just pulled a Sunken Ruins and foil Kozilek, The Great Distortion in my fat pack. As a player who started at BFZ pre release without a large collection, what is the best way to maximize the value I can get from these cards? Should I wait for pro tour or something to see if anything spikes? Hang on to the expedition for a while? Set up pucatrade or what? Also I have the R/G landfall t1 deck, does ogw really affect this deck in standard?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Star Man posted:

Brad Nelson's a drunk.

so am i

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Sickening posted:

I am biased because he is a local player I see around a lot. He is just a grinder that doesn't smell bad, never has a bad attitude, and generally is what you wish the rest of the players would be in your competitive scene. I hope he does well again today.

Just how miserable is your local scene that Brad Nelson is a shining ideal that everyone else should aspire to?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bad Nelson. boom. roasted

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

InterrupterJones posted:

I haven't been watching because they show boring mirrors on camera. What is Kory McDuffie playing? (I guess we all have a local player or two who we cheer for at these events)
Atarka Red

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Just how miserable is your local scene that Brad Nelson is a shining ideal that everyone else should aspire to?

Maybe it wasn't clear but Stevens is the player I was referencing. Brad Nelson is a loving cheat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bonus posted:

Have Reality Smasher and Though-Knot made an appearance yet? It feels like all they're showing is rally mirrors and azban/esper
There haven't been any colorless mana decks yet. The main new deck we've seen is a few instances of UR prowess but there have been a fair number of new cards around.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Boco_T posted:

Atarka Red

Oh nice! That's a nice change since he's usually running Jeskai or Esper Dragons. Maybe that was a meta call, anticipating a big presence from Eldrazi. (no pun intended)

keeblerdrow
May 4, 2004
Still not king, damnit.

playground tough posted:

I just pulled a Sunken Ruins and foil Kozilek, The Great Distortion in my fat pack. As a player who started at BFZ pre release without a large collection, what is the best way to maximize the value I can get from these cards? Should I wait for pro tour or something to see if anything spikes? Hang on to the expedition for a while? Set up pucatrade or what? Also I have the R/G landfall t1 deck, does ogw really affect this deck in standard?

You can hold or trade away Kozilek any time you'd like. I don't see that as being something to act on now. As someone who also opened a Sunken Ruins yesterday, my advice is GET RID OF IT. NOW. Trade it or get it into a local card shop. It sees play, but it's gonna tank from the $100 price tag its at right now. (I see TCG is already sub-80) I got $52 in credit from my LGS for it and I consider that a good deal for me. Unless you plan to use it or to hold onto it for 3+ years, just dump it quick, while everyone's looking for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Watching SCG, yeah I think I might try the Heartless version of Eldrazi.

• Locked thread