Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Onmi posted:

It's a Japanese made RPG. Also It turns out my trouble was using Holy as I decided this time to go Fire Enchantment and just rinsed the Bishop. Also got a Dragon Forged Dragon's Dogma

Tis weak to darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Man I really should have bought new equipment before doing the well quest with everyone having rusted stuff. I've kept it but it took forever to kill the Saurians

I'm going magick archer yet again because its easily the most fun class to play as. I just hope I don't get hosed with the BBI rings for 9 fold bolt or whatever its called like last time

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

ChaoticGood posted:

The wiki has a picture of a place where you supposedly can find it every time. I don't think I've bothered looking for it more than once.
It's still multiple possible locations with a % chance of finding it in any of them, so if the RNG isn't on your side, it can take a lot of travelling back and forth to find one.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Koorisch posted:

So, forging items at the Black Cat, what is generally the best items (rare and otherwise) to forge?

Forge basically every quest item ever. No need to go overboard, but some quests have different outcomes depending on whether or not you give away the real item or the forgery.

FrickenMoron posted:

If my pawn has been a sorc for almost 50 levels is it still worth to switch to warrior just making a different party setup? I get all these kickass items for fighter/warrior classes and cant use them.
Yeah, go for it. If, for instance you're level 60, and you pick up like 40 levels of warrior, your stats will balance out pretty well, and pawns can really use the HP. They're not nearly as good at avoiding damage as the player, where Warrior has the highest stamina growth.

Just something to keep in mind. Between the Warrior/Sorc levels your stamina is going to be low. This isn't such a big problem, but can indirectly tinker with your inclinations. You basically have three options to tinker with things. 1) Don't worry about it, and just give your pawn a ton of mushrooms. 2) be very careful about your own playstyle and never burn through your own stamina so you don't teach your pawn to be so aggressive. 3) Level as strider for a ton of time after level 100 for the stamina growth.

In the case of number 1, it can actually be a big positive IF you actually want your pawn to be utilitarian. By burning their stamina and frequently scarfing mushrooms they will gain utilitarian inclination, with no particular involvement on your part, other than making sure they have plenty of items to use. If you don't want them to be utilitarian, well, you'll need to defer to 2 or 3, OR regularly pour some inclination elixirs in their head to keep things the way you want.

Personally? Utilitarian pawns are loving awesome. Utilitarian Sorcs are great. Utilitarian Rangers are great. Utilitarian Fighters are great. Utili Strider, and Warrior pawns are kinda sketchy, BUT the two in combination are actually pretty rad, where a utilitarian warrior will tend to restrain NPCs more often, and utilitarian pawns will have a tendency to use Master Thief every so often, but especially on restrained NPCs.

Even when it isn't so good, I still really like utilitarian pawns. They're not as aggressive of damaging as scather/mitigators, but provided you give your pawns some "effect" skills, fights usually got a whole lot smoother.

Long story short, yeah. Make your pawn a warrior. It'll be a bit underwhelming at first, but as the HP fills out they'll be fine.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Schurik posted:

Is there any way to approximate the Ur grace period? It's at about half health right now.

Ur (on PC, at least) is so messed up that it could be twenty minutes or five seconds. Sometimes it'll skip straight to the next gen but the next gen will have insanely low health so it instantly goes into grace.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If you forge the gold idol for the shopkeeper though he'll 'send it to a buddy' and they'll realise it's fake and not give you access to the special weapons. :(

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Pierson posted:

If you forge the gold idol for the shopkeeper though he'll 'send it to a buddy' and they'll realise it's fake and not give you access to the special weapons. :(

thats why you give the real one to the shopkeep and keep the forgery in your pawn's inventory to keep the discount

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

You can give him or Madeleine the real Gold Idol and keep the forgery; it gives you the same bonus as the real one. I'd personally always give it to Caxton, just because the weapons he sells are extremely useful for getting around physical-immune enemies (and are also very powerful early, to boot).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I'm in postgame everfall, about level 60, and get repeatedly hosed over by the one room with infinite dogs, a flying lich, and a chimera.

Uh, what should I do? Currently an assassin.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Tae posted:

So I'm in postgame everfall, about level 60, and get repeatedly hosed over by the one room with infinite dogs, a flying lich, and a chimera.

Uh, what should I do? Currently an assassin.

git gud

Seriously though, that room is notoriously difficult. A few tricks you can pull, however. Grab some throwblasts. As soon as you get in, sprint like a mad man toward the lich, and hit it with the throwblasts before it can get into the air.

Otherwise you're stuck dealing with hellhounds, which the lich will continuously spawn, and the lich will only (easily) be accessible when it comes down to summon more hellhounds.

Once you deal with the lich the room gets a whole lot easier, as it is only the chimera+gore chimera, and by this point you should be able to tear through the regular chimera in about 15 seconds. That may make it seem like a better target to go after before the lich, but the lich is far and away the most dangerous. If you can't get it with throwblasts, then stock up on blast arrows, and use threefold/fivefold flurry to blow it the gently caress up while it's in the air/knock it out of the air.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Focus attacks on the Lich, he summons the Hellhounds.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It's been a while since I've done that room but as an assassin you should be able to abuse the heck out of Masterful Kill (and Instant Reset)

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010
Cute troll & goblin

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Koorisch posted:

What about anything that you get before endgame/BBI?

The Blessed Flower you get on Quina's quest, since it lasts for a day and doubles the EXP you get just by sitting in your inventory. If you always keep one in storage you can keep making them. Also Ne're-Do-Parts, from the quest the nun gives you after Quina's quest, since they're the best healing item in the game, and only cost ~50k to duplicate.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Can I get an invite to the steam group?

https://steamcommunity.com/id/Bogdeath

Thanks!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Alright, I'm just starting this game and I'll probably be playing a fighter / assassin, with maybe a little warrior and/or ranger thrown in now and then. What kind of pawn should I make, and what kind of pawns are most useful for other people to use? I was thinking maybe all out fighter or strider. I'm not really interested in the magic stuff so I could probably just use other peoples mages for healing or whatever.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
So, uh, what exactly is Daimon's second form?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Got my first revenge pawn summon by some rando that didn't take well for me trying to use their lovely 66 striker that couldn't handle a garm or cockatrace. I used it for like an hour of grinding and gave him a bad grade with a rotten ambrosial meat and he didn't even use mine, gave me a lower grade and a rotten giant fish. Unfortunately for him, I still needed some giant fish for a Taste of the Ocean so thanks angry steam jerk! :smug:

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Koorisch posted:

So, forging items at the Black Cat, what is generally the best items (rare and otherwise) to forge?

Also forge the Wyrmkings Ring's, it's a much better item then the reward for giving the real one in for the quest. Letting it sit in a casters inventory decreases spell casting by 15%, couple this with Articulacy for another 15%, and you get a 30% reduction for spell casts which is massive.

Also if you gift it to a pawn you can buy another from Black Cat straight away making them incredible gifts. They costs 66,660 G to buy back though.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

finding pawns that can actually survive BBI is really hard. my fighter pawn works great (in my game at least) and so does my support mage but the last slot always ends up being dead weight :(

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 23, 2016

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

Imagine a dragon stamping on a human face — forever.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Broken Cog posted:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Broken Cog posted:

It's, like, a spiritual manifestation of hatred or something of the dragon that Ashe bargained with. The face on the torso is like a really squashed version of Grigori's.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What are good inclinations for warrior pawns?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Scather/Challenger/Mitigator. Warriors are all about dealing a ton of damage with inbuilt CC, so you want them getting into the absolute thick of it as much as possible.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

for mage pawns what do i want as a secondary inclination after utilitarian? basically i just want buffs then healing then damage

i might give up on the healing though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FrickenMoron posted:

Scather/Challenger/Mitigator

Avoid Medicant/Guardian at all costs.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Just incase someone didn't know, Instant reset isn't just good at canceling out of attack animations. It can also cancel out of stunlock animations like when you get hit by lighting or getting knocked down if you do it fast enough.

Lunimeow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 23, 2016

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

for mage pawns what do i want as a secondary inclination after utilitarian? basically i just want buffs then healing then damage

i might give up on the healing though

Utilitarian/Mendicant, and then either Challenger or Mitigator. Mendicant as a secondary will only prioritize healing if someone is at <=25% HP, and if there's no healing or buffing to be done, it'll then move to damage.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i have scather on my sorceror pawn and she doesn't seem prone to climbing on big monsters so i've been pretty pleased with her performance. she's pretty keen on blowing poo poo up.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i have scather on my sorceror pawn and she doesn't seem prone to climbing on big monsters so i've been pretty pleased with her performance. she's pretty keen on blowing poo poo up.

Is it primary or secondary? It's not that it turns them into Leeroy Jenkins, but it does modify their AI to make them be a lot riskier than they otherwise should be. If you're looking to make your Mage/Sorc Pawn a primary damage dealer, Challenger/Mitigator are both superior as far as keeping them alive goes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Vermain posted:

Is it primary or secondary? It's not that it turns them into Leeroy Jenkins, but it does modify their AI to make them be a lot riskier than they otherwise should be. If you're looking to make your Mage/Sorc Pawn a primary damage dealer, Challenger/Mitigator are both superior as far as keeping them alive goes.

primary! which has been surprising, because i've seen people say that leads to them doing dumb poo poo, but i've never seen it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

has someone come up with a mod or whatever that stops main pawn inclinations ever changing?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jose posted:

has someone come up with a mod or whatever that stops main pawn inclinations ever changing?

I don't believe so, no. The framework they used for Dragon's Dogma is apparently notoriously hard to mod beyond basic values and textures/models/etc.

In general, though, I rarely have trouble with my pawn's inclination changing negatively once I've given them the right elixirs, unless you're really going HAM on certain buttons (spamming "Help!" when you've got a Scather primary, for example). RC falls out of the sky, especially with the Badge quests, so it's easy to just keep a few on hand and swig them if your pawn starts acting funny.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
I've had my sorc pawn as scather/challenger/utilitarian and i've never seen her climb on a monster.

E:Although the ratings i've been getting back might indicate otherwise, I guess i'll try challenger/mitigator/utilitarian

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i just checked to make sure and my pawn is primary scather and currently doesn't have a secondary for whatever reason. inclinations are weird.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Johnny Joestar posted:

i just checked to make sure and my pawn is primary scather and currently doesn't have a secondary for whatever reason. inclinations are weird.

A lack of a secondary just means that one (or more) inclinations are equal but lower than your primary inclination. Sit 'em down in the Noob Chair and they should let you pick a secondary (which you can then shift to a different secondary after).

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Post-game world is loving ugly, jesus. Is there much of a point to doing post-game everfall except for the "real" final quest bit and Ur-dragon? I went to check Ur-dragon out and couldn't dent him so just kinda gave up on that for now. Going to save that stuff for NG+ and when I get some BBI gear for both me and my pawn.

I'll chime in and say switch your pawn to whatever you want. Mine was Mage/Sorc, then I messed around and got him all the good augments from other classes and then I realized 3-star rusted weapons inflict poison and torpor and made him Strider then Ranger. Update on that: been keeping him as Ranger for a good while now, put all the multi-hit longbow attacks on him (Spiral, Endecad, Tenfold) and he's once more dishing out Torpor like nobodys business. Gorechimaeras get slaughtered.

Having your pawn as Sorc to rank 9 for the 20% magick attack augment is not a bad idea since it affects weapons with magick damage components.

e: got Aelinor as my beloved, was shooting for Madeleine but realized too late that she'd become unavailable after Bad Business and still wanted to get the crafting item from Aelinor. Oh well, could have been Fournival!

Martout fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 23, 2016

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Martout posted:

Post-game world is loving ugly, jesus. Is there much of a point to doing post-game everfall except for the "real" final quest bit and Ur-dragon? I went to check Ur-dragon out and couldn't dent him so just kinda gave up on that for now. Going to save that stuff for NG+ and when I get some BBI gear for both me and my pawn.

I'll chime in and say switch your pawn to whatever you want. Mine was Mage/Sorc, then I messed around and got him all the good augments from other classes and then I realized 3-star rusted weapons inflict poison and torpor and made him Strider then Ranger. Update on that: been keeping him as Ranger for a good while now, put all the multi-hit longbow attacks on him (Spiral, Endecad, Tenfold) and he's once more dishing out Torpor like nobodys business. Gorechimaeras get slaughtered.

Having your pawn as Sorc to rank 9 for the 20% magick attack augment is not a bad idea since it affects weapons with magick damage components.

Everfall is great to farm up Arch-hydra, Gorechimera, Golem, Lich and various small enemy parts (Snow Harpies, Gargoyles, Hellhounds and Succubi most notably).

Also it shits out wakestones like crazy, which are hella useful for BBI. You can get like 2 per large enemy and with any BBI weapon you should be cutting through them like butter. They're much, much rarer in BBI and feel a lot more necessary easpecially if you're squish (Elder Ogres one-shot me when enraged as a level 70 Sorc with all Everfall Dragonforged gear :cry:)

Zore fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Martout posted:

Getting your pawn to Sorc rank 2 is also a great idea because the Suasion augment (increased money from selling poo poo) works even if it's on a pawn. And it stacks, so multiple party members with Suasion will net you even more cash.

Similarly, the Gold Idol or Gold Idol Forgery work when they're in a pawn's inventory, so feel free to leave them in there.

Martout posted:

e: got Aelinor as my beloved, was shooting for Madeleine but realized too late that she'd become unavailable after Bad Business and still wanted to get the crafting item from Aelinor. Oh well, could have been Fournival!

Fournival is in fact the best beloved because it's way easier to access his shop in the postgame that way.