Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You're probably right and it is may well be something he did, but I really feel like we should wait for some sort of evidence of personal misconduct before blaming the victim.

I looked over his public profile on Fbook when the news broke because I assumed he'd be some sort of ultra-Christian as they are the primary people who seem to get arrested these days. However he appears to be a normal, fun-having, well educated college student without an axe to grind for religion, politics, or other ideology.

Will be interested to see what exactly got him arrested. It was while he was leaving the country for what it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It doesn't deserve to get you imprisoned and I hope he makes it out unharmed, but you have to be a bit of a shithead to go on one of those tours in the first place, they directly support the regime. He's been reported as being a business major too? So not even studying anything related to the place. I can't say I have too much sympathy for the guy.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, you should know the risks when you go joyriding in a shitheap. Hope the North doesn't get anything out of this.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Halloween Jack posted:

Huh. Classes are canceled and the University is practically closed today, but I'm surprised President Sullivan hasn't already sent out an email about this.

Why? Is that a funny or annoying thing he does? If someone had been arrested by North Korea while a student at the school I went to I wouldn't have expected an e-mail from the president.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

You're probably right and it is may well be something he did, but I really feel like we should wait for some sort of evidence of personal misconduct before blaming the victim.

I disagree, based on past cases its more than likely that he did something. And while I'm in no way saying that North Korea's laws are just, they are laws and its not him being a victim if he voluntarily goes there and breaks them.

edit: Remember, the Bible guy was arrested while leaving the country too, even though they confronted him about the Bible a day or two previously. Its possible he did something while on the trip and was allowed to continue while the people in charge of that sort of thing decided what to do. We might find out once his fellow visitors start speaking, or until the North says something, or perhaps we'll have to wait until he inevitably gets released.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Cliff Racer posted:

Why? Is that a funny or annoying thing he does? If someone had been arrested by North Korea while a student at the school I went to I wouldn't have expected an e-mail from the president.

You're clearly too old to get the university/school system in tyool 2016, in which every student is simultaneously a customer, under constant suspicion, and mandated to be as close to every other student as a family member :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My guess would be that the guy did something to piss off the NK so they grabbed him. Not that that would be sufficient justification by most measures, but it's NK so this should be expected.

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, you should know the risks when you go joyriding in a shitheap. Hope the North doesn't get anything out of this.

Let's go a step further and say that the tour companies should provide all their clients with a cyanide pill, to be deployed in case of capture.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cliff Racer posted:

Since she came on, it's become normal for her to send out emails if, for example, a current student dies, and there was a lot of communication when the Rolling Stone sexual assault allegations came out. I can't think of a comparable situation, but I was surprised that there was no official comment, though I would agree that it's not necessary.

DeathSandwich posted:

From what I can gather based on interviews I've seen of people who have been there: The really aren't given that much leeway. Generally a tour group will take any cell phones or GPS devices you have when entering the country. The tours are guided in a very heavy-handed manner, you see what they want you to see and they get mad if you try to go off the beaten path, off message, or generally be a pest.
I spoke too hastily; it's pretty silly to say that a nation that has its tourists under observation at all times and confiscates their electronics is giving them a lot of leeway, but I've read several tourists' stories where they mention "wandering off the beaten path" in a variety of ways and not suffering any consequences besides admonishment from a guide who seemed more concerned for their own sake than for the tourist's.

Cliff Racer posted:

I disagree, based on past cases its more than likely that he did something. And while I'm in no way saying that North Korea's laws are just, they are laws and its not him being a victim if he voluntarily goes there and breaks them.

DeathSandwich posted:

That being said, I can see several scenarios being true:

1) He wandered away from a tour group and got caught, leading to calls of espionage.
2) As above, he started arguing politics or the blessings of capitalism either too loudly or too close to someone important.
3) He snuck a GPS active device in with his stuff and got caught.
4) He got really loving unlucky and they grabbed him just so they could have a political bargaining chip.

I see some of the news blurbs about him mention that he's an "intellectual risk-taker," but they're only saying that because he's part of the Echols Scholar program, which has "intellectual risk-taker" as part of their mission statement. So I'm not jumping to the conclusion that he was a missionary or some other sort of naive activist. Since there's no information available besides the standard DPRK propaganda that he must have been a secret agent for the federal government :rolleyes:, I can only give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he did something innocuous if he did anything at all. Given the capriciousness of the Jong-un regime, I wouldn't be surprised if he's being used as a bargaining chip on a very flimsy pretext.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

sincx posted:

Why would you ever go on a trip to North Korea as an American citizen in this geopolitical environment?

Hell I wanted to go to Greece and Turkey this year and probably won't go due to ISIS and the refugee crisis, and those two countries are still a thousand times better than NK.

You are being a fool and cheating yourself out of a pretty cool vacation.

As to people who go? Its people who specifically go because they do want to do stuff that other people don't. Honestly, provided that they follow ALL the rules, they probably have more to fear from internal regime collapse happening while they are there than they do being arrested "just because."

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

As to people who go? Its people who specifically go because they do want to do stuff that other people don't.

Y'know, seeing as they help directly fund the Kim regime for an extra squeak of hipster cred, I think I want them to get the dissenter treatment while they're over there.

I'm normally a pretty tame guy, but thinking about those people doing this and not giving a single poo poo about the horrors they're contributing to makes them less than human. It has to, or nothing will.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

WarpedNaba posted:

Y'know, seeing as they help directly fund the Kim regime for an extra squeak of hipster cred, I think I want them to get the dissenter treatment while they're over there.

I'm normally a pretty tame guy, but thinking about those people doing this and not giving a single poo poo about the horrors they're contributing to makes them less than human. It has to, or nothing will.

Yeah, there's millions a victims here and this guy isn't one of them. Multiple people are abducted by the regime per year for bargaining position, so not only are you funneling currency to support the regime but you are submitting yourself as a pawn to get millions of dollars in concession that will continue to fund modern day concentration camps etc.

This is why the storyline of 'wow north korea best korea so wacky 18 hole in ones' is so poo poo because it encourages these idiots.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I wouldn't wish being detained by North Korea on anybody. He'll be treated well and likely released, but that is some scary poo poo.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

You are being a fool and cheating yourself out of a pretty cool vacation.

As to people who go? Its people who specifically go because they do want to do stuff that other people don't. Honestly, provided that they follow ALL the rules, they probably have more to fear from internal regime collapse happening while they are there than they do being arrested "just because."

There are a lot of interesting places to visit in the world for cheaper that don't involve directly funding the North Korean regime and taking a literal propaganda tour. Like, the reasons to actually do this thing boil down to:

1) You want hipster cred "I was totally in NORTH KOREA guys!!!!"
2) You drink the kool-aid "It wasn't so bad guys!! Everyone is super happy and there is so much food! Obummer is just lying to you about poor Best Korea!"
3) You went to gawk at poor people.

Plus, you know, you might end up arrested as a spy if they feel like it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 23, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I am having a hard time having huge amounts of sympathy for people who go to a state known for taking prisoners for bargaining chips so they could have a unique vacation. He may not deserve this, but all of these idiots going there should know they are taking their chances.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I still can't believe all the crap the VICE guy pulled off. At least he wasn't dumb enough to ask a Korean Citizen point blank if they had any criticisms of the Kim family in front of a camera like Lisa Ling did.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I hope you guys also feel bad about paying taxes, buying iPhones, drinking coke, and wearing Nike.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

old dog child posted:

I hope you guys also feel bad about paying taxes, buying iPhones, drinking coke, and wearing Nike.

How clever, I mean paying taxes is totally the same thing as taking a hipster cred vacation to North Korea.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

How clever, I mean paying taxes is totally the same thing as taking a hipster cred vacation to North Korea.

"Hey Joe Arapio, I'll pay $5000 for a guided tour of your best local communities!" Except the guy you pay is running an oppressive international pariah state with actual death camps and nuclear weapons rather than a small time sheriff with irresponsibly run jails and a deactivated artillery vehicle.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 23, 2016

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

unlawfulsoup posted:

You're supporting a government that bombs weddings and detains people without trial.

Anyway, there's value in visiting a place like North Korea, in the same way interviewing an evil person isn't a hosed up thing to do. Nobody knows why that guy went to NK. If he was detained, then he probably wasn't there to brag about it to his friends*. It's just hosed up to place the blame on the victim when no one knows motive.

Also, more westerners should visit NK while being subversive because any cultural contamination is a good thing. Hell, anything he does to undermine the regime while there (if he is guilty) helps the US in the end. Ultimately, his imprisonment does not add any value to NK's bargaining position since he is politically worthless.

*do people actually do that? I can't tell if you guys are serious or if it's a joke

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
e: :lol: misread

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
The phrase "victim blaming" has really lost all meaning.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

old dog child posted:

*do people actually do that? I can't tell if you guys are serious or if it's a joke

I dunno, maybe you should read one of the many articles about people who do just that before dismissing it all in a long and almost uniformly uninformed post.

And equating accidental wedding bombings to very much intentional starving of one's own people is ridiculous. Its the type of things that people laugh at leftists for and make pretend ones say in right wing parody articles. That is you, the rightwinger's joke personality. You're the anti-Kelly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

old dog child posted:

Anyway, there's value in visiting a place like North Korea, in the same way interviewing an evil person isn't a hosed up thing to do. Nobody knows why that guy went to NK. If he was detained, then he probably wasn't there to brag about it to his friends*. It's just hosed up to place the blame on the victim when no one knows motive.

21 y/o frat boy business major who isn't of Korean descent (who allegedly got drunk while he was there); odds are pretty significant he went there as a vanity thing. Yes people do that, it's basically The Reason most westerners go to North Korea, even if they tell everyone it's because they want to "see life from the other side" or whatever. Why does him being detained make it sound like he wasn't there to brag to people? And even if you really do have a legitimate reason to go there, given the country's reputation you kind of only have yourself to blame if something bad happens.

quote:

Also, more westerners should visit NK while being subversive because any cultural contamination is a good thing. Hell, anything he does to undermine the regime while there (if he is guilty) helps the US in the end. Ultimately, his imprisonment does not add any value to NK's bargaining position since he is politically worthless.

Being subversive while you're there can have genuine repercussions for your tour guides, that's not a good thing to encourage at all.

on the other hand re: cultural contamination and visiting the place in general, just a few days ago Ask a North Korean covered that from one defector's point of view, according to them there's some merit to it.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 23, 2016

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And you "being subversive" isn't going to fool anyone anyway. Who are you going to impact, your guides? The people who are already trusted to not only interact with you but with all sorts of wealthy near-locals (Korean ex-patriates, Chinese people, SE Asians, etc) who quite clearly have it better off than themselves? Those aren't random college students working a summer job, they are intelligence officials who are reporting on you.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

old dog child posted:

Anyway, there's value in visiting a place like North Korea, in the same way interviewing an evil person isn't a hosed up thing to do.

Oh sure, except in this case the villain is still on the run, you haven't told anybody where he is, you asked questions like "What do you eat for breakfast?" and "How do you keep your deserter-skin jackets so silky-smooth?" and at the beginning of the interview you passed him over a briefcase filled with non-sequential bills. And then, once the whole thing was over, the only time you'd ever talk about the thing is with uninterested strangers at office parties. And your original motivation to do the drat thing to begin with was only to impress that girl in Accounts Receivable.

Yes, it is hosed up. And gently caress the people who go there on non-business or non-diplomatic purposes to the highest degree.

old dog child posted:

You're supporting a government that bombs weddings and detains people without trial.

Gee willikers Batman, I guess I'd better go nowhere for a vacation, seeing as that [sovereign authority] has done [bad thing].

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

I dunno, maybe you should read one of the many articles about people who do just that before dismissing it all in a long and almost uniformly uninformed post.

And equating accidental wedding bombings to very much intentional starving of one's own people is ridiculous. Its the type of things that people laugh at leftists for and make pretend ones say in right wing parody articles. That is you, the rightwinger's joke personality. You're the anti-Kelly.

I will look into it. I usually just read about the military/political poo poo and have seen the Vice stuff. I just think the "you're supporting the regime" logic is dumb but I see your point.

Koramei posted:

21 y/o frat boy business major who isn't of Korean descent (who allegedly got drunk while he was there); odds are pretty significant he went there as a vanity thing. Yes people do that, it's basically The Reason most westerners go to North Korea, even if they tell everyone it's because they want to "see life from the other side" or whatever. Why does him being detained make it sound like he wasn't there to brag to people? And even if you really do have a legitimate reason to go there, given the country's reputation you kind of only have yourself to blame if something bad happens.

I suppose that's true but maybe he was detained for trying to film poo poo or got into a debate or something. Who knows? I just don't want to assume the worst just because he's some white frat boy.

quote:

Being subversive while you're there can have genuine repercussions for your tour guides, that's not a good thing to encourage at all.

on the other hand re: visiting the place in general, just a few days ago Ask a North Korean covered that from one defector's point of view, maybe there is some merit to it: http://www.nknews.org/2016/01/pay-north-korea-a-visit/

Well, I don't mean shouting the merits of capitalism at everyone you see but even something as small as a conversation might eventually help change minds. I don't think NK will ever change unless it happens from within (hopefully peacefully). e: basically what that article says

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

The phrase "victim blaming" has really lost all meaning.

Victim was definitely the wrong word.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 23, 2016

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

old dog child posted:

Well, I don't mean shouting the merits of capitalism at everyone you see but even something as small as a conversation might eventually help change minds.

Yeah this is true. A lot of accounts from people that have visited the place say that the locals are often super interested in talking to foreigners, they just usually don't get the chance. The problem is that what "being subversive" is, both for the repercussions for the people that talked to you, as well as yourself- is up for North Korea to decide, not you.

Cliff Racer posted:

And you "being subversive" isn't going to fool anyone anyway. Who are you going to impact, your guides? The people who are already trusted to not only interact with you but with all sorts of wealthy near-locals (Korean ex-patriates, Chinese people, SE Asians, etc) who quite clearly have it better off than themselves? Those aren't random college students working a summer job, they are intelligence officials who are reporting on you.

tangential to your point, but South Korean citizens can't (legally) go to North Korea on those kinds of trips.

The guides are officials but you deal with student volunteers, tour schools etc too. But yeah since the guides know their necks are (often quite literaly) on the line they're meant to be pretty good at stonewalling any questions like that and shepherding tourists away from locals.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

old dog child posted:

Um gently caress yes they do
https://web.archive.org/web/20141014190259/http://americaninnorthkorea.com/2011/12/03/north-korea-shooting-range-guns-girls-and-beer/

old dog child posted:

I will look into it. I usually just read about the military/political poo poo and have seen the Vice stuff. I just think the "you're supporting the regime" logic is dumb but I see your point.

Getting abducted in NK and being used in concessions for the regime is a non-zero chance, how are you not supporting them?

You get sent to camps for ridiculous poo poo where you work until you die.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisons_in_North_Korea

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Koramei posted:

tangential to your point, but South Korean citizens can't (legally) go to North Korea on those kinds of trips.

I was actually referring to North Korean citizens living in Japan, who, despite technically being North Koreans, get the same tourist spots that "we" do.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
North Korea is now floating poop into South Korea.

edit:
SA is being a weirdo - putting "http://" in front fixed it.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/12135252/North-Korea-bombards-South-with-used-toilet-paper.html

Bates fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 3, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anosmoman posted:

I read the caption for Kim visiting the North Korean People's Army Breeding Station No. 621 before I looked at the entire picture and something entirely more horrifying flashed into my head.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Anosmoman posted:

I don't know why but your link tells me "my connection isn't secure" when I click on it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Same.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Anosmoman posted:

Kim: "We need to send our propaganda into the South so that they will recognize that we are the best Korea."

Communist Goon: "We could use balloons, they will float south and distribute our leaflets over a wide area!"

Kim: "Brilliant idea! Anyone else?"

Communist "Goon 2: What if we wrap our words in poop?"

Kim: "Yes! Double rations for your family!"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So North Korea may launch it's *Secret Nuclear Missile Test* as early as tomorrow. What are the chances that NK wants to start a war with this missile? Can we strike it down?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grouchio posted:

So North Korea may launch it's *Secret Nuclear Missile Test* as early as tomorrow. What are the chances that NK wants to start a war with this missile? Can we strike it down?

0 and nope. Calm down for once.

Juffo-Wup
Jan 13, 2005

Pillbug
What would KJU possibly stand to gain by starting a war?

Also, didn't Japan say they would shoot down any missile over their airspace? Are they bluffing?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Juffo-Wup posted:

What would KJU possibly stand to gain by starting a war?

Also, didn't Japan say they would shoot down any missile over their airspace? Are they bluffing?

Probably, its never been done before-- by anyone.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

If they release a photo of this "missile" it'll be a Scud with some sad extra fins welded onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Grouchio posted:

Grouchio, every time North Korea does anything you come here and ask if it's the prelude to war.

North Korea's entire foreign policy is based on hoping that world leaders are as dumb and panicky as you are, and trying to manipulate them. Now stop asking.