Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The real problem with Darkest Dungeons is that there's absolutely no advancement or unlocking of cool new stuff. Unlocking the skills you require on someone for a build or a particular squad position is doable immediately, at which point you're basically using those skills on a character forever. On top of that skills are sufficiently balanced enough that they really aren't any fun to use nor particularly impressive at late-game. It's not a hard game but it very rapidly devolves into work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

fishmech posted:

POWDER is a nice and simple introduction, which also comes with a number of great tiles: http://www.zincland.com/powder

As a bonus, it also has a free Android version and it's been ported to and from a number of consoles and handhelds, so you can also play it on a Wii or GBA or DS (provided you have homebrew enabled on your Wii, and a flashcard for either GBA or DS.

Since it was originally designed around the constraints of a GBA, the control interface is very simplified and uses a lot of assignable buttons around the outside that you can customize to your choosing. Most people use that for spells.

Maybe you meant free iPhone version?

Also, Humble Bundle is giving away free Steam Keys for Bionic Dues. Any good starter hints anyone?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

I apparently owned it already. Installing now.

Because, you know, they own EVERYTHING.

Seriously.

It's sad. I add a game, BAM!, look at the friend that owns one!

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Chakan posted:

The "my dudes leveled up right at the end of a run so now they won't fight the boss I was preparing them for" issue sucks.
It's a deliberate design decision and it's not an issue at all if you are paying attention to your XP bar, since it's 100% deterministic how much XP you'll get from a successful run and how much it takes to level. I will say that unless you are really shuffling among a huge roster your heroes will quickly level past the early bosses which is kinda frustrating.

Sorry to hear that the game isn't fun for you.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"I don't like game"

"ACTUALLY YOUR OPINION IS WRONG. I LIKE GAME, SO YOU MUST ALSO LIKE IT."

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

darkest dungeon isn't bad but it's easily solvable which makes it boring for a certain population of players

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"I don't like game"

"ACTUALLY YOUR OPINION IS WRONG. I LIKE GAME, SO YOU MUST ALSO LIKE IT."

Yes hello this is a thread where we discuss such things, are you new here?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Junkie Disease posted:

Reminds me of the dumb hell that is FTL's final boss.
FTL's final boss is great, though. I know we keep going over this in this thread, again and again, but unless you gently caress up along the way building towards the final boss it's virtually always possible to beat it, and there's tons of viable builds to fight it with

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

packetmantis posted:

Yes hello this is a thread where we discuss such things, are you new here?

nah this argument is pretty poo poo

e: hey so I need a new title for the new OP. Suggestions?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
YAST(Yet Another Stupid Thread)

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

This argument is pretty poo poo. Start again with the same argument? (the roguelikes thread)

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

IronicDongz posted:

FTL's final boss is great, though. I know we keep going over this in this thread, again and again, but unless you gently caress up along the way building towards the final boss it's virtually always possible to beat it, and there's tons of viable builds to fight it with

Its the without prior knowledge that you need to build for that boss is the problem though. I love every other inch of FTL though. I wish they would update it with player ghost ships. I'm sure its been said before lets move it on to greener pastures.

http://necropolisgame.com/

4 player coop rogueish game. Chances of this being good are decent. Shadowrun was at least well presented.

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 23, 2016

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

IronicDongz posted:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PleasingFungus posted:

hm. a game about carefully hoarding your ammunition over the course of long, incredibly repetitive levels filled with identical enemies. check, please!

A game about getting every range upgrade you can because it's literally the only stat that matters because many, many enemies will oneshot you with little to not recourse if they get a shot off.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Roctavian posted:

darkest dungeon isn't bad but it's easily solvable which makes it boring for a certain population of players
This was my impression, for sure. I haven't gone back since launch since it sure seemed easy after you figured it out. The atmosphere is cool but then I played it for awhile and had enough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

madjackmcmad posted:

Those Master's Programs are a little different, and they're high level anyway. If you get a professor in the Academy who teaches one, you're very lucky, but otherwise even after you unlock them you can't skill into them unless your mans is level 9. If I had kept the Bannermans locked away, it would be a number of interesting mechanics that someone couldn't use until they'd cleared multiple towers on a different hero.

There is one more line you need to fill for Grimdark Darkmans. You are close.

One more? I've filled an entire loving page plus another skill set. How much do you need?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jedit posted:

One more? I've filled an entire loving page plus another skill set. How much do you need?

It's necronomics, deadcrafting and legendary armsman to unlock grimdark darkmans. Sounds like you have all 3 so poo poo is bugged for you. :rip:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

IronicDongz posted:

Yeah, this.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Samizdata posted:

Also, Humble Bundle is giving away free Steam Keys for Bionic Dues. Any good starter hints anyone?

Bionic Dues is seriously rocket-taggy. Every enemy that isn't chaff will kill you in one hit, and if you keep up on your upgrades you will be able to kill most lot of enemies in one or two hits as well. Sightline management is the order of the day.

For your starting exos, I would suggest the setup Brawler-Siege-Science-Ninja. Brawler has short-to-medium range weapons but a lot of them have weird attack patterns that hit around corners. Siege is fragile but has a lot of powerful AOE attacks. Science has a huge detection radius, a deceptively powerful weapon in the form of the pistol (it takes no time to shoot and freezes the enemy in place, allowing you to cloak and run a couple of tile out of range), and lets you start getting good exo upgrades right from the first mission. Ninja can shoot out of stealth and can be upgraded to have an enormous amount of time in stealth; depending on the mission you can sometimes just run past half of the enemies on your way to the objective. Sniper is also fine, especially on open maps where you can really take advantage of its sight range. Assault is kind of meh, even with the shield bonuses it's still going to die really quickly against anything you care about.

For your pilot, Rey is good if you want some leniency on the rocket tag, Genji give you an enormous power boost right out of the gate but eventually stops contributing, and Meg gives you an enormous power boost by the end of the game.

The first thing you want to do as far as missions go is find some upgrades - any upgrades. The second thing is to get weapon upgrades in particular. The third thing - if you aren't Genji - is to scout the map as fully as possible for Bahamut Drive missions. If you ever have an opportunity to attack a Factory and don't feel underpowered, take it. The last few days will be spent attacking concentrations of bots (Lion's Den and Assassination) and going after Robot Command Centers to reduce the amount of time the bots get to build up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
blegh, there was a serious difficulty leap between the end of this mountain fortress and its boss

rip me, should have used a scroll of escape dungeon

are mountain fortresses supposed to be normally inescapable? i noticed there seemed to be no normal exit

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

DisDisDis posted:

Download Sil and splat a few characters to experience the best combat and some of the tightest design in a roguelike. I need to play more Sil. Caves of Qud is probably the most approachable of the open world/crazy story generator style of roguelike and there's a free ASCII version.

Sil is honestly the one i would suggest

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ninjas in Bionic Dues with lots of trapskill and turrets are ridiculously good. High-level turrets are durable and the enemy bots will happily waste their ammo shooting at turrets rather than shooting at you (assuming you moved out of range). The game also has a kind of wonky fog-of-war, so if you switch to your science exo (with massive +sight range) and then switch back, you can still see what's going on in the tiles the science exo revealed.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Killed Durin for the first time. :toot:
Also Listen is an amazing skill that has paid for itself already.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm failing to create the proper witticism here, but I'd think it has to be some reference to player ghosts/bones files sort of thing.

"Came back from the dead to cause my own permadeath: the roguelikes thread" or something.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Here lies the Roguelike Thread, slain by the Roguelike Thread's ghost in Hell

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:saddowns:
I got two shot by a Fire Elemental.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"Pain don't hurt" - Rogue House

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 23, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

FreeKillB posted:

It's a deliberate design decision and it's not an issue at all if you are paying attention to your XP bar, since it's 100% deterministic how much XP you'll get from a successful run and how much it takes to level.
this legit sounds awful. "hold on cant run this dungeon until i do some loving maths on the exp bar to figure out if i can fight the boss afterwards"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
If you have a brain you do level 1 bosses with your level 2 characters as soon as they hit level 2, it's really not a problem in practice unless you go out of your way to make it one

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Awesome! posted:

this legit sounds awful. "hold on cant run this dungeon until i do some loving maths on the exp bar to figure out if i can fight the boss afterwards"

You can't level up mid-dungeon-run so if you can go through the dungeon to the boss you can fight the boss, not sure what the problem here is really?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Benly posted:

You can't level up mid-dungeon-run so if you can go through the dungeon to the boss you can fight the boss, not sure what the problem here is really?

in that case i guess i misunderstood that post

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

If you have a brain you do level 1 bosses with your level 2 characters as soon as they hit level 2, it's really not a problem in practice unless you go out of your way to make it one

Doesn't stop it from being a stupid practice. Hey level 3 bounty hunter wanna fight evil witch theres money and fame in it? Nah its beneath me. Also i have rabies and I'm nightblind put me in the sanctuary for 2 more turns.
Its a system they put in place to solve a "flaw" in their design. Higher level peeps make lower level bosses easier.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Junkie Disease posted:

Doesn't stop it from being a stupid practice. Hey level 3 bounty hunter wanna fight evil witch theres money and fame in it? Nah its beneath me. Also i have rabies and I'm nightblind put me in the sanctuary for 2 more turns.

v:shobon:v game's supposed to be hard, Red Hook didn't want you stomping level 1 bosses with level 3+ characters. Having a 1 level advantage (you can fight them at level 2) is already pretty big. You can mod that out really easily, so you can bring level 6s to stomp if you want!

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Awesome! posted:

in that case i guess i misunderstood that post

The way the game is structured is that each dungeon run is a specific mission with a specific level, with its own mini-dungeon generated for it. After doing enough missions in an area you can get a boss mission for the area, which is its own dungeon with a boss at the end. High-level characters won't do a low-level boss mission, so I guess the complaint is that you can't train up Level Amazing shitkickers on purely non-boss missions and then have them go curbstomp the low-level bosses?

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

The issue can usually be solved by scaling the level of the dungeon to the character levels, but you can't really do that in a game with a roster of mixed level critters without either completely loving over lowbies or making the scaling too shallow for high level characters to give a gently caress. Coded arrogance isn't the greatest thing ever, but I'm hard pressed to think of a better way of solving it without completely altering the game.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

If you make the rewards exponential so you have no reason to go back to lower level missions, you would have to do the same to the costs of upgrades. If you did that, you'd make it even more grindy recovering from a partial/complete wipe of the A-team.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if you made it so when bosses showed up you got diminishing returns from other missions to discourage just grinding up characters instead

e: and i guess set it up so that boss missions aren't available if you don't have characters that can challenge them
and/or reset/delay the diminishing returns thing if you wipe a group on them

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

Tollymain posted:

what if you made it so when bosses showed up you got diminishing returns from other missions to discourage just grinding up characters instead

e: and i guess set it up so that boss missions aren't available if you don't have characters that can challenge them
and/or reset/delay the diminishing returns thing if you wipe a group on them

Then you have to make the game extremely good at judging what groups can potentially challenge them. The problem is that a level 1 party can handle a level 1 boss if it's the right party, with good trinkets and skill layouts and a good strategy/synergy, and a level 1 party has no chance against the same boss if it's four Jesters fresh off the wagon. Then, assuming the game is very good at this, you run into the danger that the game knows you have a potential victory but the player doesn't, and so is effectively walled because the game won't let him grind up a good party and he doesn't know what "good" party he supposedly has access to from the 12 dudes living in his barn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Samizdata posted:

No, Android. The link to the APK is on one of the news posts.