Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I thought it was an MMO and play somewhat like final fantasy xiv? is it purely one player

There's some online multiplayer stuff but the meat of the game is single-player, it's just the gameplay is pretty MMO-like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, :rip: friendly chain chomp

The Chain-chomp didn't die, he was just taken away by Rodin and given to Bayonetta.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mega64 posted:

There's some online multiplayer stuff but the meat of the game is single-player, it's just the gameplay is pretty MMO-like.

Ah ok thanks a lot for the responses!

How's yoshis willy world. Going to play through it with a friend before I gift it

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Ah ok thanks a lot for the responses!

How's yoshis willy world. Going to play through it with a friend before I gift it

Mega adorable and cute. Easy and fun to beat, hard as hell to 100%.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Well, somehow my game pad screen cracked. I don't know if the cats knocked it down or if one of my housemates did it and aren't fessing up to it.

I know Nintendo has a repair/replace shop...but if I send mine in, will I get the same one back? My system was the Legend of Zelda edition and I'd really like to keep the special game pad...

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

I know Nintendo has a repair/replace shop...but if I send mine in, will I get the same one back? My system was the Legend of Zelda edition and I'd really like to keep the special game pad...
I can't speak for the Wii U, but I couldn't even get my black 3DS XL replaced when mine simply stopped working. They had a stock of red and blue ones and offered them as a replacement. They'll tell you if they're going to do something like that though, so, insist that they repair your Gamepad or replace it with the same special edition one.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Did they like, advertise it at all that the SMA4 VC release had all the e-reader levels localized? That feels like something they'd want to tote around but instead from all I can tell they just casually dumped 38 extra levels into the game without telling anyone.

Really wish the various bonus switches to activate new features (vegetables, Luigi physics) had been in the game in some way, but you turned those on and off by scanning cards repeatedly, so there's not as convenient a way to do that.

jivjov posted:

Well, somehow my game pad screen cracked. I don't know if the cats knocked it down or if one of my housemates did it and aren't fessing up to it.

Generally speaking, they will always just repair the thing you send in and give it back to you unless the damage to it is so hosed up they can't fix it. A cracked screen should be fine, though. They'll let you know if they intend to change out the gamepad for a different one before actually doing the deed.

Repairing your gamepad is actually about the same price as buying a new one secondhand, last time I checked--and that's for the non-special edition ones. I found it kinda shocking.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 24, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

nerdbot posted:

Really wish the various bonus switches to activate new features (vegetables, Luigi physics) had been in the game in some way, but you turned those on and off by scanning cards repeatedly, so there's not as convenient a way to do that.

Amiibo!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I thought it was an MMO and play somewhat like final fantasy xiv? is it purely one player

There's real limited Online missions and the only actual online reward given is the Pharos Holofigure from the special boss you get from doing the mission 4 group quest chain on Squad Task 20.

Online works like this:

You will join a random squad of 31 players

Each player exists in their own world alone and by themselves

Squad Tasks come up as a bunch of preset objectives that you can complete if you choose and will reward you with tickets(which are used to buy drops instead of farming them)

One a squad task is done the mission will unlock which you can complete in a group or by yourself. Every mission lasts at most 5 minutes

The other online missions are Global nemesis where a boss has like 200,000 bars of HP(which are called RP) and you can again fight the boss alone with your party members or in a group with actual other players. You have a week to down the boss before it resets it's RP and everyone who plays the game does a little bit to reduce the RP. You get rewarded after every attempt though with what parts you broke off and this is what people use to get tickets mostly instead of squad tasks.

You do all of this in your Barracks, and the rest of the entire game world is single player content only. It's sort of like how Pokemon only has online stuff in the pokemon center and everything else is single player.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You can probably actually find a new screen and attempt a repair yourself if you're brave. I read about someone doing this somewhere and it seemed not too difficult. I think they were able to get the part on Amazon or something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Viewtiful Jew posted:

The Chain-chomp didn't die, he was just taken away by Rodin and given to Bayonetta.

I did not know that bayonetta had a chain chomp weapon omg

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

greatn posted:

You can probably actually find a new screen and attempt a repair yourself if you're brave. I read about someone doing this somewhere and it seemed not too difficult. I think they were able to get the part on Amazon or something.

Fellow goon Neowyrm completely bricked a 3DS trying to repair minor cosmetic damage. Kinda put me off dismantling any of my Nintendo electronics myself.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
you're a literal dipshit if you brick a 3ds trying to replace the screen

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

jivjov posted:

Fellow goon Neowyrm completely bricked a 3DS trying to repair minor cosmetic damage. Kinda put me off dismantling any of my Nintendo electronics myself.

~$30 for parts and a guarantee you won't lose your special edition business vs $100 and a guarantee it'll be fixed

It's a simple piece of hardware, if you're not a clumsy fucker you'll probably be fine.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

jivjov posted:

Unless your cat knocked it down onto a sharp corner of another table or something... sounds like one of your roomates is a real dick. There's videos on youtube showing people drop it repeatedly from 4-5 feet with no damage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

You're a smarter man than he, and more dexterous as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

katkillad2 posted:

Unless your cat knocked it down onto a sharp corner of another table or something... sounds like one of your roomates is a real dick. There's videos on youtube showing people drop it repeatedly from 4-5 feet with no damage.

It's very possible that it caught the corner of the coffee table on its way down. Or clipped the footrest lever of the couch.

It's really immaterial at this point though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I did not know that bayonetta had a chain chomp weapon omg

the weapons in bayo2 are all pretty win, though i miss the ice skates

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Looper posted:

the weapons in bayo2 are all pretty win, though i miss the ice skates

You drive around on chainsaws like tank treads now which is a solid upgrade.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

You drive around on chainsaws like tank treads now which is a solid upgrade.

oh for sure the chainsaws are really fun, and i like their timing gimmick, i just really dig the ice skates

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

enojy posted:

It looks cool and fun, but also like it lacks F-Zero's sense of immediacy and even speed. Maybe that's just nostalgia goggles and/or the tendency of SNES Mode 7 to make everything seem fast as gently caress. Supposedly, the online community dwindled pretty quick.

In my opinion it feels a lot faster than F-Zero, actually. The visual effects quality is crazy. May be something to experience rather than look up a video on YouTube though

I think the problem with the online is that in addition to being pretty buggy it's mainly filled up with people who are way too good at this game. I never stood a chance, so while I'm still playing I don't bother going up against those maniacs anymore

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

How's yoshis willy world
lol

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

jivjov posted:

Trufax though I sent mine in after it got powersurged and died and they sent the same one back. It was a super fast turnaround too, like three days.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Looper posted:

paper mario 64 is neat but definitely kind of reserved. its sequel was made by a team much more comfortable with what they were doing and it's pretty amazing all around

I just finished Chapter 6 and if that wasn't immediately followed up by a penguin murder mystery, I may have given up on the game entirely.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just finished Chapter 6 and if that wasn't immediately followed up by a penguin murder mystery, I may have given up on the game entirely.

I think chapter 6 is widely regarded as the worst chapter in PM64.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Okay where the gently caress did this rumor of a new Paper Mario come from

I swear if it doesn't happen I'll be... very sad

I loving love the Paper Mario series, warts and all

Paper Mario 64 was incredibly charming and, when you get down to it, just competently made from beginning to end. There's not much side content, and chapter 6 drags a little, but other than that, there's just nothing bad about it. It's very easy ('cause it's for kids, DUH), but I love it.
TTYD on the Gamecube one-upped that, though, by being funny as hell, looking GORGEOUS, refining the battle system even more and deliberately loving with the player. The backtracking is pretty bad, but oh well. Easily the best Paper Mario, if you ask me. You just can't beat the power of Koopas with midlife crisis + Toad mom with gambling addiction + Bowser stumbling around never knowing what's going on + wrestling plot twists + Doopliss.
I even liked Super Paper Mario! The story was pretty neglectible and bad, but all the anarcho writing and weird characters were still there. Not to mention the degree to which the game takes the piss out of the player, again. Too bad the game itself is pretty broken, and its central mechanic (3D to 2D twisting) is pretty bad - you pretty much truck along until there's no more way, THEN check 3D, and so on. Not good. Also, switching from the great 3D environments from Paper Mario to almost purely 2D was a bad move. It... just doesn't look as great. Oh well, still a funny game.
Sticker Star is horrible, with the most mind-bogglingly bad decisions I have ever seen in a sequel. Yes, let's mute Bowser. Yes, let's remove tons of funny chatter with unique NPCs or your own partners. Yes, let's switch from our cool Paper Mario enemy designs to lovely established ones. Yes, let's throw out Kammy Koopa. Yes, let's have a fundamentally broken battle system. Yes, let's have most boss fights depend on arbritrarily having a certain large sticker in your inventory, to the point that the game bitches at you for winning the fight without it. The great and funny writing of TTYD and Super Paper Mario sometimes still shines through, but it feels almost muffled by the sheer incompetence of it all. There's one genuinely great aspect of the game: the level design itself is GREAT, with tricky and fun 3D environments with lots of perspective fuckery; THAT'S what I definitely want to see in a new Paper Mario. Honestly, the level design is what makes this mess playable. It's also charming and cute as usual, of course! Overall, this game is an absolute catastrophe, but it's got great elements that I'd love to see in future PM games. Assuming there are any.

Don't care much about the Mario & Luigi series anymore, honestly. Liked the first one, HATE HATE HATE HATED Partners in Time, BiS was fun thanks to Bowser, Dream Team was a total and utter slog that looked ugly + had tons of brainless mini games + bored me to tears. Got six hours in or so, never touched it again. The series is okay, but it was never even nearly as funny as TTYD, and compared to paper shenanigans, it doesn't look very great either. Also never got why they used items instead of Bro Team moves. Bro team moves were awesome!

I'll be sad if the Paper Mario series dies with some M&L game that I don't care for. :(

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Just thinking about this new Paper Mario U rumor got me thinking about Paper Mario 1 a lot. That game is just so brilliant, especially with the intro where Bowser beats Mario to a pulp and is established as a legitimate threat throughout the entire game. Like gently caress, that's the kind of intro that should be taught in schools.

I want to find the time to replay both 1 and 2, but I'm only realizing just now that I haven't given the original its due.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Also... Just the camera. If it can read qr codes it should be able to read barcodes, my phone can. They could make them available to print online or something. But :effort: I guess.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Theres no way that the new game isnt just gonna be some boring thing. Everyone immediately expecting something that has no chance of happening.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Edmund Honda posted:

~$30 for parts and a guarantee you won't lose your special edition business vs $100 and a guarantee it'll be fixed

It's a simple piece of hardware, if you're not a clumsy fucker you'll probably be fine.

Hell, I WAS a clumsy fucker when I replaced the top screen on my OG DS and broke one of the cable connectors, but it wasn't anything a little scotch tape couldn't fix.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Just thinking about this new Paper Mario U rumor got me thinking about Paper Mario 1 a lot. That game is just so brilliant, especially with the intro where Bowser beats Mario to a pulp and is established as a legitimate threat throughout the entire game. Like gently caress, that's the kind of intro that should be taught in schools.

I want to find the time to replay both 1 and 2, but I'm only realizing just now that I haven't given the original its due.

i liked the intro to smrpg better personally, but the shot of mario slowly falling to earth is pretty cool

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Looper posted:

i liked the intro to smrpg better personally, but the shot of mario slowly falling to earth is pretty cool

It's a very powerful image.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
As someone who loves Paper Mario and TTYD a whole lot and couldn't make it more than an hour into Sticker Star, Paper Jam is really good. Most of the stuff I've seen has been negative but I'd encourage anyone who's looking for a fun Mario RPG to give it a shot. The writing is fun, the battles are fun, and the animation is really charming.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

There was a thread made a while ago for discussing Paper Jam and other Mario RPGs. I'd hate to see it just get forgotten about.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Well what WiiU games do we have to talk about? The last major release was Xenoblade and everyone all up and decided they hate that game now for god knows what reason.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I had a hard drive SNAFU and lost my save data for Xenoblade so I've been putting off starting it up again for close to a month now. Losing 30 hours of save data in a big game like Xenoblade is not fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i really like xenoblade chronicles x but it's frustrating to see a good game could've very easily been an amazing one

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wanted to ask, I see Sticker Star get put on blast everywhere but what's the general thought on it over in Japan? Do they also dislike it with similar complaints or is it well received?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Looper posted:

i really like xenoblade chronicles x but it's frustrating to see a good game could've very easily been an amazing one

I feel like it's the kinda game that should have came out in like 2002 or am I completely wrong here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I feel like it's the kinda game that should have came out in like 2002 or am I completely wrong here

I can't imagine what the game would have to look like to run at 30 FPS with that large seamless world back in 2002.

• Locked thread