Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I liked what there was to make of Giorno through that translation. Plus it's no secret that Bruno is the actual main character of Part 5, and Bruno owns real hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

BaDandy posted:

This is all good and great and you still need to do that Jonathan write up in the anime thread. :colbert:
Completely forgot about that.

That and the big long write-up I said I was gonna do about how the episode of Hunter x Hunter where Gon finds Pitou healing Komugi is the single best episode in any shounen serial ever.

Kabanaw posted:

I would argue Gappy is more human than Johnny, he's two human
He's got balls, that's for sure.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bad Seafood posted:

That and the big long write-up I said I was gonna do about how the episode of Hunter x Hunter where Gon finds Pitou healing Komugi is the single best episode in any shounen serial ever.

Please do this, because it's true.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Nahxela posted:

At least Gold Experience continued the tradition of punching frogs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Completely forgot about that.

He's got balls, that's for sure.

Do they go and learn to drive cars while Piccolo wears Goku's 90's as gently caress civvies?
If not, the claim of best shonen episode is wrong.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
People who complain about Let's Go Eat Italian Food will get probed right?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Out of all of that I'll at least concede that Gold Experience is a Stand I absolutely do not care about

How do you feel about his connection to Dio? My problem with it is I guess the expectation. It's why Koichi finds him but it feels like a setup with no real payoff. Like I kinda wish they ditched Koichi's lead in and just let Giorno bop around with stands and then at some point we find out he's Dio's kid, but chill. So there's a sense of contrast because we know more about him by then.

Or maybe that creates other story issues I haven't realized. I know there's some thematic resonance with contrasting Joestar and Brando heritages in him as more eloquent posters have laid out but I still feel underwhelmed by the connection.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Pomp posted:

Make me a deputy mod and I'll do this and to anyone who says Part 2 was better because it had Joseph and Ripple.

I have zero qualifications, I just wanna punish people who say wrong and dumb things.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Pomp posted:

Don't even kid about that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pomp posted:

"There wasn't even a fight, what was the point? God, I'm sick of this filler bullshit."

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Permaban and Guantanamo imo

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Moltrey posted:

Make me a deputy mod and I'll do this and to anyone who says Part 2 was better because it had Joseph and Ripple.

I have zero qualifications, I just wanna punish people who say wrong and dumb things.

I loved part 2, Joseph and the Ripple.

On the other hand, just a probation for insinuating that Let's go Eat Italian Food is anything less than perfect is way too lenient.

Basically

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Permaban and Guantanamo imo

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Pomp posted:

Moltrey posted:

do this and to anyone who says Part 2 was better because it had Joseph and Ripple.
Of course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Me to people who complain about part 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z2zWCcDu-U

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if probations aren't given out for those things i will be sorely disappointed

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Pomp posted:

Hellban them!! I'd honestly be shocked if people complain, though.

Adlai Stevenson posted:

How do you feel about his connection to Dio? My problem with it is I guess the expectation. It's why Koichi finds him but it feels like a setup with no real payoff. Like I kinda wish they ditched Koichi's lead in and just let Giorno bop around with stands and then at some point we find out he's Dio's kid, but chill. So there's a sense of contrast because we know more about him by then.

Or maybe that creates other story issues I haven't realized. I know there's some thematic resonance with contrasting Joestar and Brando heritages in him as more eloquent posters have laid out but I still feel underwhelmed by the connection.

I honestly have no idea how much pre-planning Araki puts into anything; I imagine he has a rough idea but stuff changes here and there and the details are always sketchy. The whole weird Koichi introduction thing is a really hamfisted way of tying it together and it would have been way, way better if his lineage paid off at a later time but I wager that he was worried about buy-in somehow if it was just a seemingly random gangster wannabe with a stand.

I feel like that's an element that isn't even fixed with better translations, but it does you a bit of a disservice in that it introduces Giorno in a way that doesn't even totally lay out his character well? It's a bummer because DIU absolutely nails it with Josuke, in that you see pretty much every facet of his personality in very rapid succession so it's easier to feel an immediate connection. I think you have to work a lot harder to get to Giorno, even with better translations up front. I still find him interesting because of his sort of fiddly/selective morality and aspirations but I think I do have to say that while I get why people don't want to judge him until there's a full improved translation of Vento up there, enough has been translated so that you *should* be able to get a picture of him, so if he's still not coming through with what's been done, that's sort of telling. Though maybe the people who are abstaining on judgment are also abstaining on a re-read until the full thing's done, who knows.

The family connection's definitely underwhelming and, honestly... I like Giorno, I like DIO, but being DIO's kid is kind of irrelevant unless there's something I'm missing? I guess I could force something by typing a ton of words about aspiration/power but I don't feel like it today :devil:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Hellban them!! I'd honestly be shocked if people complain, though.

i'm 100% expecting it to some degree because for some reason jojo's attracts weird people who get really strangely attached to some of the more generic parts for some reason. that or they think everything is ironic.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm 100% expecting it to some degree because for some reason jojo's attracts weird people who get really strangely attached to some of the more generic parts for some reason. that or they think everything is ironic.

We experienced a similar phenomenon with One Punch Man, where people like the series for reasons other than the reasons it's actually good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

My prediction is that Josuke will win over a lot of people who liked Joseph but hated Jotaro (Josuke effectively being Joseph 2.0), but the more meandering pace will invite a lot of criticism from the same people who hated on Part 3's villain of the week formula - twice over in fact since Part 4 doesn't even begin with a clear end goal in mind.

I don't think SA will be too bad about this, but having already seen elsewhere where people were complaining about, of all possible things, D'Arby the Gambler, I don't have much hope for the Internet at large.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Waffleman_ posted:

We experienced a similar phenomenon with One Punch Man, where people like the series for reasons other than the reasons it's actually good.
I like One Punch Man cause its neat and cool and funny and also I think animated Genos is insanely rad.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Moltrey posted:

I like One Punch Man cause its neat and cool and funny and also I think animated Genos is insanely rad.

These are fine reasons.

People liking it because Saitama could totally beat Superman are kinda missing the entire point.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Bad Seafood posted:

I don't think SA will be too bad about this, but having already seen elsewhere where people were complaining about, of all possible things, D'Arby the Gambler, I don't have much hope for the Internet at large.

Hahah, true, I know someone I'm friendly with who started with the anime complained bitterly about both D'arby's at one point in time.

I guess I do sometimes see stuff like that in tumblr tags, too, but I guess I'm just far more used to Italian Food becoming the selling point for lots of people. Like, "now I REALLY like DIU" or something. I might just have blinders on as far as DIU is concerned, I like SDC a whole lot and think it really holds up better than some people say it does but I can understand a few criticisms leveled at it; it's harder for me to see people complaining about DIU. I think folks will love the characters too much to be as concerned but you're right, if they were annoyed by some of the format for SDC, it'll absolutely come up here when there's a lot of stuff going on before they get to the point, more or less.

But yeah, knowing that stuff would play out often with OPM is why I actively avoid a lot of discussions about it.

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?

Amaryllis posted:

I don't want this earlier post to get lost in the middle of update chat, so:

Fantastic! Was it Bracketier? I know he posted something a while ago about looking into getting someone to produce a better translation. You guys (and the rest of the team) did such good work on the coloured version of Part 4.

Jeez, okay, those translations sound pretty rough. Some of them, like the missed literary reference, are just little blips--I mean, not that it isn't a problem, but I'm sure most people will just skim over that kind of thing and assume they hadn't heard of whatever the reference is. But some of the errors in GER's speeches seem like they're just going to leave people still confused about what King Crimson and/or Gold Experience Requiem does. And looking at those examples especially, it also sounds like the tone/word choice stuff is partly coming out of the awkward translation decisions. (By the way, the examples did make sense to me, a non-Japanese-speaker.)

Yeah, that would be him. He dropped me a line when he heard I wanted to do a translation of the Rohan oneshot, so we decided to work together.

Anyway, back to the translations thing, I'll admit you're right that some of them are little issues. One or two isolated cases won't make or break a translation. But, perhaps the most telling error may be the one I kinda glossed over in last example, the one where Diavolo goes, "I won't even allow you the time to lament your own death." You can see they have they key words down, like death and regret/lament, and the "once you're dead" part is very similar to "time" in Japanese. The odd thing is that the grammar of the sentence isn't even particularly difficult. Adjectival phrases and giving/receiving verbs aren't uncommon by any stretch of the imagination, and they're taught in like the second year of Japanese classes. The fact that it completely flew past the translators shows that they don't really have the foundations of Japanese down, which is quite concerning. If you can't read the original text like a natural, that makes it harder to write a natural-sounding script, and that confusion is going to trickle down to the reader. So, you may be right that those phrasing problems come back to a common source.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Bad Seafood posted:

what the gently caress

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Bad Seafood posted:

I've got a friend who's making her way through the series who though D'arby the Superior was merely okay and that surprised me. But then she's into the show overall and has other favorites so I'm taking it as a different strokes kind of thing.

If she badmouths Tonio though I'm going to formally disown her

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

alcharagia posted:

what the gently caress

i have literally seen people consider D'arby the gambler to be kind of garbage and Alessi to be great

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

alcharagia posted:

what the gently caress
It's the "Filler" argument.

Nothing of consequence transpires over those episodes, therefor they're filler, therefor they're a waste of time and bad by default because everything that doesn't directly advance the plot is a waste of time and bad by default. Quality is irrelevant, "It's filler, who cares." I'm paraphrasing, obviously, but this is legit an argument I've seen people make - including the bit where "Yeah, it was good, but it still doesn't matter in the end so it's bad."

Part 4's gonna be a hard sell for people who prioritize the destination over the journey.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Adlai Stevenson posted:

I feel like it starts to coalesce for the same reasons that someone mentioned why Steel Ball Run was so good (SBR is better, of course, I'm just using it as an example). I'm talking about the themes of "support from friends is better than power alone" and the dark side of determination. The first theme has been kind of a thing from at least Phantom Blood and becomes much more obvious in DIU, and you also have to look at the differences between the other JoJos and Giorno, but I don't want to do a huge word vomit thing, so here's the basics from what I understand.

Unlike all of the other JoJos before him, Giorno is in it for power. He isn't here to make friends, he isn't here to learn a valuable lesson about friendship, and even though he inherited the Joestar Bloodline, he still could have gone down a very dark road like DIO if it wasn't for the mysterious gangster. He views criminals the way most other people see celebrities and before he joins the gang, he styles himself as a Robin Hood-ish gentleman thief figure. Throughout the entire first part before they find out the "Boss" wants to kill Trish, there is always the real risk of Giorno being outed as a traitor because the reason he joined Passione is based on a lie. The only one who knows why he's there is Buccellati. Buccellati doesn't even know that Polpo is dead because of Giorno, and that's how they get the secret stash and are assigned to protect Trish, but moving on.

VA is basically a retread of SDC, and it's totally fine if you feel like that weakens the story, but they both have these reserved characters who slowly come to love and accept the friends they've gathered over the course of the story...and then half of them get murdered in quick succession. While both of the protagonists are responsible for the other characters even getting to that point, at least in SDC it's for a good cause and everyone knew who they were up against from the beginning. With VA....not so much. Diavolo being offed was probably a good thing anyway, and taking the position of boss is for a "good cause", in an ends justifies the means way, but it's ultimately done for the sake of power. It's why the ending is so bitter sweet and why Giorno is visibly upset. He got what he wanted, but his friends dying were all his doing, all for power's sake. It's why Sleeping Slaves comes at the end and you see how after Mista "defeats" Rolling Stone that Buccellati, Abbacchio, and Narancia are going to die: Giorno joining the gang.

Like with DIO, the entire story starts with Giorno's grab for power, unlike the other parts where a bunch of nonsense happens to the protags and they react to it. But, Giorno ends up doing what DIO can't; allowing himself to connect with other people and be friends with them, something that's first demonstrated more obviously during the White Album fight. The comparison is more obvious when Stone Ocean comes around. Even though Pucci might come close, DIO clearly goes for the manipulation angle and has no idea how to react to healthy, nice feelings that he has about other people. Giorno does, and like the other Joestars before him, learns to use that as his strength, but he's clearly in over his head and people die because of his involvement. He takes on the role of Boss because someone has to, but it's his cross to bear for the rest of his life.

You'll see some people refer to GIorno as a "redemption" of the Brando bloodline, and that's very true because it goes with the main theme of VA; no matter your circumstances, you don't have to be a sleeping slave of fate. You always have that choice. Even though his new friends have died, as Buccellati says, they're better people now because they met Giorno, another thing that marks him as a Joestar. You don't have to like Giorno; honestly I just like his style and I have a lot of some of his more non-dramatic habits (how I come off irl, how I sit back and read the room before talking to anyone, that sort of thing) so the "waaah he's boring because he [does the exact same thing I would do]" complaints kind of annoy me, but I agree he's a love him or hate him character.

Exercu posted:

i have literally seen people consider D'arby the gambler to be kind of garbage and Alessi to be great

Literally what the gently caress. :stare:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hello,

I read up to the end of part 6 a while back, and recently read part 7 and up to the latest chapter in part 8.
I am caught up on the Manga.

Is there a wiki that tracks the changes before/after the world got rebooted?

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Exercu posted:

They're both great, everything in Egypt is great, semper Egypt.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Exercu posted:

it's weird to outright dismiss D'Arby Elder, but i do prefer D'Arby Younger, and like Alessi and Pet Shop more than Elder too.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pet Shop is the hypest poo poo, but D'Arby is like the ebst poker game ever written (most Poker game sin anime and movies are complete poo poo, so it's not as impressive as that sounds).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
the best way to explain to people to not dismiss filler imo is that the show is called jojo's bizarre adventure

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Pet Shop is the hypest poo poo, but D'Arby is like the ebst poker game ever written (most Poker game sin anime and movies are complete poo poo, so it's not as impressive as that sounds).

Jojo's does it the right way with emphasis on mindset and absolutely no blind luck at all - on either side, because Jotaro's loving around to maximize his bluff to the exclusion of anything else and D'Arby's just plain cheating.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hello,

I read up to the end of part 6 a while back, and recently read part 7 and up to the latest chapter in part 8.
I am caught up on the Manga.

Is there a wiki that tracks the changes before/after the world got rebooted?

Literally everything is different in the SBRverse, other than a handful of reoccurring stands.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Literally everything is different in the SBRverse, other than a handful of reoccurring stands.

There are recurring characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

The recurring characters are completely different characters just with the same names.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

They're different people with the same/similar names.

Diego Brando isn't DIO, nor is Diego with the World. He's an homage. There's no relation between Jonathan and Johnny etc.

Even Killer Queen JJL has different abilities to DIU's, though The World in SBR is the same other than his appearance having a handful pointed design changes. (KQ's appearance is largely similar enough to say that any differences are probably art-style).

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wish the jojolion killer queen was a little different looking at the least. apparently there's some minor differences but they're not things you'd know without having an image of each side by side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

There's no relation between Jonathan and Johnny etc.

My interpretation was that they are equivalent - Johnny is Jonathan in this new universe.