Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

Apparently they recently created glasses or something that somehow can show red-green colorblind people what normal vision is like, but I imagine that everything must seem garish and tacky as gently caress since we're used to a limited palette.

One web search later, I learned something neat. Thanks, Homestuck thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

One of the biggest points of contention about Vriska is something you haven't reached yet so hold that thought.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
For the record, this is how Ytlaya is seeing troll blood colors, possibly with slight shade variations.

Also of note is that the kid's colors are pretty different to each other, except for Dirk and Jade, who luckily haven't had a conversation.

Though Trickster Mode is going to be even more hellish than it would be normally.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

That particular piece of fanart is meant to be a representation of how Terezi "sees" her friends.

But what happens when she licks a mirror!?

curiousTerminal posted:

Though Trickster Mode is going to be even more hellish than it would be normally.

Good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

curiousTerminal posted:

For the record, this is how Ytlaya is seeing troll blood colors, possibly with slight shade variations.

One thing people often confuse about color-blindness is that it isn't like a bunch of colors are just switched/reversed. It's more that colors are often very ambiguous and difficult to identify. Like, a bunch of red/green/brown shades just seem like some ambiguous reddish-greenish-brownish color. This only really causes a problem in real life if there's some situation where you need to associate a large number (like <5) colors with something, like in a graph/figure.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ytlaya posted:

Gamzee just killed Equius and Nepeta. Saw it coming obviously, though I was hoping Equius would put up some sort of fight since he is strong as heck (though the reason he didn't makes perfect sense).

So i can complain about Nepeta now! Her death was supremely unsatisfying. I'd tweak it slightly: get rid of Gamzee's grabbing her hand. Have her successfully scratch his face. THEN he kills her dead.

That right there would make the whole thing so much better.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

This conversation between John and Vriska is interesting. I think he did a good job of characterizing Vriska here.

lol the one for Tavros, Karkat, and Aradia all look the exact same color to me (maybe Karkat's looks slightly darker?). This is one of the few times (other than geography classes in elementary school) that I can remember my colorblindness actually causing any confusion.

Apparently they recently created glasses or something that somehow can show red-green colorblind people what normal vision is like, but I imagine that everything must seem garish and tacky as gently caress since we're used to a limited palette.

to be fair, the difference between karkat and aradia isn't super huge, hers is just, kind of muddier

also vriska is the best at being the worst

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keiya posted:

So i can complain about Nepeta now! Her death was supremely unsatisfying. I'd tweak it slightly: get rid of Gamzee's grabbing her hand. Have her successfully scratch his face. THEN he kills her dead.

That right there would make the whole thing so much better.

but then you'd lose that bit of characterization where holy poo poo gamzee is a loving sadomasochistic murderbeast (just like in my japanese animes!)

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Ytlaya posted:

One thing people often confuse about color-blindness is that it isn't like a bunch of colors are just switched/reversed.

To be fair I just plugged a hemospectrum image into photoshop and hit the color blindness filter, I was expecting it to be a bit off.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Ytlaya posted:

lol the one for Tavros, Karkat, and Aradia all look the exact same color to me (maybe Karkat's looks slightly darker?). This is one of the few times (other than geography classes in elementary school) that I can remember my colorblindness actually causing any confusion.

Mostly the troll blood exact color doesn't matter--if there's blood everywhere and a dead troll, I don't think you'll have much trouble figuring it out. I would point out, however, that Karkat is the only troll with brightly colored blood--everyone else's blood is a murky color.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

One thing people often confuse about color-blindness is that it isn't like a bunch of colors are just switched/reversed. It's more that colors are often very ambiguous and difficult to identify. Like, a bunch of red/green/brown shades just seem like some ambiguous reddish-greenish-brownish color. This only really causes a problem in real life if there's some situation where you need to associate a large number (like <5) colors with something, like in a graph/figure.

Yeah, that's actually roughly what I see in the modified image. It goes from fairly distinguishable to the entire first half (other than karkat's grey, of course) being various shades of yellow-brown.

But yeah Karkat's is human blood color and that's weird is the most important part, the rest has other cues or isn't important.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Tollymain posted:

but then you'd lose that bit of characterization where holy poo poo gamzee is a loving sadomasochistic murderbeast (just like in my japanese animes!)

and how Nepeta is actually weak and cute and defenseless!!!!

Yeah I loving hate Nepeta's death and basically what Nepeta was supposed to be just changes as the comic's plot keeps switching ideas about what it's trying to do. It doesn't make Gamzee threatening, it just makes Nepeta a pointless chump. and in her future appearences she's even more nauseatingly cutesified and nonthreatening.

About why I didn't like Hiveswap: it took forever and put the brakes on everything. The excuse for hiveswap is it's about characterization and worldbuilding, so of course it has so much "characterization" that the comic has to forget things like "Nepeta is a feral wild beast" when it would be plot inconvenient.

To be fair Midnight Crew did that too but that was a fun, cohesive short story full of murder and fun that didn't end up having to "Skip to the end".

IMO, if the comic had cut away after she pounced and then when we get back to Gamzee he's scratched up to hell but has won... that would've worked. And would've had less panels too.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

YEah exactly that scene kills one of Nepeta's two traits and that's stupid.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think the point of that scene is that Equius and Nepeta, both of whom are supposed to be dangerous, go down like Teletubbies. The deaths are supposed to be ignominious and pointless, because that's how Gamzee rolls. You're *supposed* to be frustrated and let-down.

e: I am not saying "Because that's what the author wanted and therefore it is right". I am saying that the meaningless carnage is being committed by two of the trolls who were jokes before that. Cronus and Gamzee aren't supposed to be scary. Equius, Sollux, Kanaya, Feferi, and Nepeta are supposed to be very dangerous. And yet look who gets destroyed.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 22, 2016

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tenebrais posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence. Aradia's dreamself was there the whole time.
It's worth noting even she didn't think she had one. I don't think she would have lied to Rose about that, and her dawning realization in that flash, even before Jack attacks her, is one of my favorite parts. (Vriskaface taunting Tavros with his entire lower half is the best, though)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Bell_ posted:

(Vriskaface taunting Tavros with his entire lower half is the best, though)

nevar 4get

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You're *supposed* to be frustrated and let-down.

The Homestuck Story.

Nah but more seriously, I'm not entirely sure how much "savage hunter" Nepeta had in her character. She killed wild beasts all over the place and held her own during SGRUB, sure, but all trolls need to have a little bit of a killer instinct (Tavros excepted) just to survive. Her character always seemed more dominated by her cutesy love of roleplaying and shipping and her crush, rather than the juxtaposition between that and being a wild hunter. Well, except that it's funnier for her to draw her shipping diagram in blood.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the point of that scene is that Equius and Nepeta, both of whom are supposed to be dangerous, go down like Teletubbies. The deaths are supposed to be ignominious and pointless, because that's how Gamzee rolls. You're *supposed* to be frustrated and let-down.

Hussie knows the cliches he's writing towards, and has no problems suberting them. He also know that the readers know this. The readers also know that he knows that they know.

It's like that scene from the Princess Bride. Except not only have both glasses being poisoned, everything has been covered by poison. You were doomed since you stepped foot in this field. And Hussie didn't take an antidote, he's dying in front of you, coughing up blood in between howling fits of laughter. As your lungs refuse to fill with air, the world darkens, and everything turns to pink and teal...

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Except you build a character with literally two traits, throwing one of them away doesn't feel like a letdown on Nepeta's part, it feels like the guy writing it has no idea what he's doing. Which while in Homestuck's case probably true is still a bad feeling to inspire in your readers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean she showed her fighting spirit by jumping out to battle Gamzee, it's just that Gamzee was stronger.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Nepeta goes out like a punk because who cares, it's Nepeta, not someone relevant to the story.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Nepetaquest 2016, never give up hope!

GodFish fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 22, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So based upon what white text dude is saying, it seems like Eridan's "role" was to destroy hope: "What would you say if I said a vengeful boy on a path of nihilism was taken under the wings of fearsome angels, and learned to destroy hope with their light?"

He also referred to Kanaya being taken under the wing of a bulb-headed guardian and giving the ability to glow after death; so I'm guessing she got her vampire abilities or whatever from white-text dude?

edit: lol Rose is so dumb, though at least she's being dumb in a more relatable way now.

Um, am I supposed to know who is writing this letter? http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005575 Jade's grandson which I guess with the ectobiology weirdness means her grandfather?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 22, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Ytlaya posted:

Um, am I supposed to know who is writing this letter? http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005575 Jade's grandson which I guess with the ectobiology weirdness means her grandfather?

It's a mystery for you, right now.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ytlaya posted:

You're not supposed to know yet, but good guess.

By the way, the "magic needle the size of a skyscraper" is a reference to Problem Sleuth, where this exact thing was used to stitch back the universe after it had been split in half.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

So based upon what white text dude is saying, it seems like Eridan's "role" was to destroy hope: "What would you say if I said a vengeful boy on a path of nihilism was taken under the wings of fearsome angels, and learned to destroy hope with their light?"

He also referred to Kanaya being taken under the wing of a bulb-headed guardian and giving the ability to glow after death; so I'm guessing she got her vampire abilities or whatever from white-text dude?

The thing with Doc Scratch is you cannot take for granted anything he does not literally say. He makes a point of never lying, and you can't trust someone like that.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tenebrais posted:

The thing with Doc Scratch is you cannot take for granted anything he does not literally say. He makes a point of never lying, and you can't trust someone like that.

In specific, "What would you say if..." is not a direct statement. "What would you say if the moon were green cheese?" is not a statement that the moon is green cheese, and therefore is not, by a logician's standards, a lie. Any time Doc Scratch phrases a statement as a question, bear in mind that Scratch is scrupulous only when saying "X is Y". Anything else, in particular including, "X causes Y" when really ("X + Z causes Y") and/or ("X causes Y + Q"), cannot and should not be taken as a complete statement of fact.

e: Ytlaya, wasn't it cool, though, when Kanaya came roaring back from the dead?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

even worse than that is when you realize he was being straight up about something that you thought was rhetorical

Try to think of me as one of your kindly human uncle figures.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there an analysis of Scratch's statements and how he danced around certain things anywhere?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is there an analysis of Scratch's statements and how he danced around certain things anywhere?

Not that I know of, but give me a week.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I feel like that will need to wait until after the comic is over. There's probably still statements he's made that have not been 100% revealed, yet. The uncle thing, for example, was only graspable with certain reveals extremely late in the comic.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Bobulus posted:

I feel like that will need to wait until after the comic is over. There's probably still statements he's made that have not been 100% revealed, yet. The uncle thing, for example, was only graspable with certain reveals extremely late in the comic.

It'll be a more manageable task when the comic's over if I start now. And it's a fun distraction.

e: So far I have learned nothing at all about Doc Scratch but I have learned that Sollux can put psychic bees to sleep and Aradia can put psychic trolls to sleep. Which is to say, part of me already knew this, but now I have been reminded.

e2: I've gotten through one conversation of his, the very first one in sequence with the story, and already I have two pages of notes.
This is gonna be fun.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 22, 2016

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah here's my analysis: Doc Scratch is a prick.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
But how is he as a waifu?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

whowhatwhere posted:

But how is he as a waifu?

The worst. He locks you up and beats you with a broom forever and ever.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

e: Ytlaya, wasn't it cool, though, when Kanaya came roaring back from the dead?

Yeah, though I'm kind confused as to why she was able to. I'm guessing it's just some unique attribute she has for whatever reason. If one of the dead trolls had to survive, I'd rather it be her.

I just watched a neat flash where Terezi confronts Vriska. I'm not sure what's up with the disk being scratched and everything being all glitchy as a result, though; is that just a joke?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
While it's definitely a joke, it's also a thing that's literally happening.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It's Terezi's fault, she put Homestuck Disc Two on the record player and scratched it up!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So Vriska said all her feelings to John before getting stabbed (which I guess stuck since it was a "Just" killing) and then Karkat saw the messages and said some thing that would clearly imply to any normal person that Vriska was dead but I guess John is kind of dense and isn't picking up on it.

Do we ever find out more about Doc Scratch other than him being the guardian of the trolls' planet? His role in the story kind of confuses me.

edit: lol
CG: IS THAT YOUR GAME, EGBERT. HAVE YOU HAD YOUR EYE ON MADAME LALONDE, AND YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A CONVENIENT RESURRECTION OPPORTUNITY TO BUST OUT YOUR MOST PASSIONATE SMOOCHMOTIFS KEPT IN RESERVE? AND IN FRONT OF HER DEAD FEMALE "OFFSPRING" NO LESS! JUST SHAMEFUL.

hahahaaa

CG: I'VE TRIED TO TELL HER THAT HER SPRITE SELF IS PROBABLY NOWHERE NEAR AS DESPICABLE AS SHE'S MAKING OUT WITH HERSELF TO BE.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

(which I guess stuck since it was a "Just" killing)

Spades Slick smashed the clock. Vriska did nothing wrong.