Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Vyst is already in the channel where it's being talked about. If he would just scroll up his irc client he would see it.

I'm not at my computer. I just finished having sex irl and I'm watching Pacific Rim on FXX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Having a hard time believing you would be phoneposting instead of paying attention to the good giant robot movie. And the 'having sex' bit.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I read that AMA and it seemed like a lot of true flame and 'my people' stuff. Also a lot of nerds asking about bans, hacks and security stuff.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Having a hard time believing you would be phoneposting instead of paying attention to the good giant robot movie. And the 'having sex' bit.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

vyst posted:

Weird. I figured you'd be the type of person to shrug off baseless claims and ignore them. Interesting

Nah that's overplaying it you were rated a solid 8.5/10 until then.

Leeroy
Mar 18, 2014

vyst posted:

lol if you give a gently caress what Darius Johnson, a man disconnected from EVE and it's meta game for what like 2 years now, thinks about present day Goonswarm. Hey fuccboi if you hate it so much how come you don't come back and fix it lolllll

I think he's too busy trying to fix Rockstar's piss poor GTAO servers and the hacker infestation :cripes:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endie posted:

Nah that's overplaying it you were rated a solid 8.5/10 until then.

Don't downvote me please.

Pretty rad dad pad
Oct 13, 2003

People who try to pretend they're superior make it so much harder for those of us who really are. Philistines!

Endie posted:

As predicted by Steve Dalton ages ago when we first said "gently caress we have to get out of here", I am being sold as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emmanuel_Goldstein and there is no end to the malign plotting, scheming, schisming and capering that I apparently get up to. It's handy to have such a figure to sell to the more simple-minded.

If you don't mind me asking, when did 'we want to leave' become the Thing for bats? Mentioning Steve Dalton makes me wonder, because I can't really remember an EG fleet with her on it that didn't involve a bunch of really unpleasant/sometimes outright hateful bitching about Those Awful Pubbies (which always struck me as loving :ironicat: from a 2003 ENLI refugee or w/e but who cares) and I never really heard much of that stuff from anyone else; is it something going back internally a fairly long way now, or just a few months, or [??]

(I haven't really been doing much in the way of eve things since about last July so I'm not really up to speed on stuff since then)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
just had sex dont mind me eve thread i just had sex and first thing im gonna do is come in and mad post in the eve thread

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

just had sex dont mind me eve thread i just had sex and first thing im gonna do is come in and mad post in the eve thread

You should mad post on goonfleet.com about it

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

lmbo

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

honestly, i hope this all is an effort to rile up reddit and get them to fight on behalf of TRUE GOONS or something equally idiotic but i know it's just bad posting

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

vyst posted:

You should mad post on goonfleet.com about it

dont need to, apparently i have a captive audience of a skin golem who just had sex and the first thing he does is run off to check the Eve Online thread on the Something Awful Forums like a healthy and normal minded guy

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

dont need to, apparently i have a captive audience of a skin golem who just had sex and the first thing he does is run off to check the Eve Online thread on the Something Awful Forums like a healthy and normal minded guy

Keep going I'm almost there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oh drat I didn't wait the standard 30 minutes after coitus to check my email and Facebook and awful app. I hope I don't get in trouble.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

vyst posted:

Oh drat I didn't wait the standard 30 minutes after coitus to check my email and Facebook and awful app. I hope I don't get in trouble.

LOL if you're not checking jabber pms during coitus just lol

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Same.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DisgracelandUSA posted:

LOL if you're not checking jabber pms during coitus just lol

I prop up my ipad on her back so i can post while doggy style

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Wings_SWMud posted:

If you don't mind me asking, when did 'we want to leave' become the Thing for bats? Mentioning Steve Dalton makes me wonder, because I can't really remember an EG fleet with her on it that didn't involve a bunch of really unpleasant/sometimes outright hateful bitching about Those Awful Pubbies (which always struck me as loving :ironicat: from a 2003 ENLI refugee or w/e but who cares) and I never really heard much of that stuff from anyone else; is it something going back internally a fairly long way now, or just a few months, or [??]

(I haven't really been doing much in the way of eve things since about last July so I'm not really up to speed on stuff since then)

I talked about it in vague terms in the leaving announcement thing but basically the alliance had set three members (who had alliance roles that they really liked, so I don't think any of us are super-mad at them or anything for their choices) to spy on us, report convos, fish for info, find out the locations of our supers and see if any of us tried to get out, stuff like that. Having been in the alliance forever and having lots of friends we got warnings that we were being watched from a couple of people that night, and that the mood was threatening.

Basically, as you can see, we were going to get hosed at some point so I said "ok guys they are not loving about, I'll take the long walk into the desert since it was my stupidity in trusting Xander that got us here and you can go on ops, click paps and grr endie until it is all forgotten" but people told me to gently caress off, pointed out that they'd not been happy with the alliance direction for months, and told me they were coming if I left. That made me super-happy - it was a huge relief amidst all the negative stuff that was being posted - and we'd had various offers from alliance inside and outside of the Imperium so all we had to do was keep it a secret for a couple of weeks (not easy), persuade people who wouldn't be happy in PL to leave, and then handle the exit.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

quote:

Before we get started here I'm going to say up front I'm not interested in discussing the article on CZ here. There's a thread for that. It's the article on CZ thread. As a matter of fact here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/422fcz/a_fart_in_space_former_twotime_goon_ceo_darius/ - THAT IS THE THREAD

I'd like to have a chat about EVE history and set some of the record straight. Most of this information is already out there but you have to look for it and all who have anointed themselves as the tellers of these tales have done so for their own personal benefit. I get that you won't all believe me. I'm not here to convince you that I'm likely one of the most honest and direct people you're likely to meet and I say that with no hyperbole.

I'm here because after 6 years of watching other people take credit for my work and the work of others I can talk about it now and I'd like to ensure the historical record is set straight and this place gives me an opportunity to do so.

Why now? For one because I was under NDA. For two because I needed to be far enough removed from the company for any criticism to not just be written off as a bitter ex-employee. For three because I didn't want my truth to be damaging to the alliance I helped build as lame as that sounds. That alliance, NDA and distance are all gone. I have given away every single one of my characters, but since I haven't been left alone to play Diablo and play with my kids due to a particular sycophant's consistent personal attacks against my old friends I'm going to spend some time on the internet sharing some facts.

https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Second_Great_War <- This is one of the most accurate accounts I've seen of at least the disbanding but there are facts wrong even here. I will correct them and provide some more detail. For instance:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/truestories/ideas/976-the-mittani-sends-his-regards-disbanding-band-of-brothers.html - THIS is a complete work of fiction that somehow transposes The Mittani as instrumental in the defeat of BoB rather than a guy who showed up on Skype while others did the work then claimed ultimate credit which lead to appearances at GDC, a comic book, numerous articles and now a space business. All based on false pretenses. The story is still good. Mittani just didn't really do very much at that time.

From the eve wiki article:

"Disillusioned with the internal politics within BoB and enthused by the contrast he saw within Goonswarm on his alt whilst in IGNE, Haargoth offers to defect to Goonswarm. Goonswarm spymaster, The Mittani, initially plans a 'smash and grab' corp theft with Haargoth, but his imagination runs wild with other creative possibilities. In the end, a far more elaborate plan is devised, focused on the all-out destruction of BoB.[2]" - My memory isn't the greatest but if I recall correctly Haargoth was found out by Tamir. Tamir then went to Mittani and was like "Hey I have a guy". It is accurate that Mittani planned a corp theft. It is not accurate however that he conceived of anything that followed. XTTZ, who was a GENIUS when it came to game mechanics (having abused motherships to hold regions solo, caused numerous changes to the test server due to our use of information disclosures such as where BoB's titan blueprints were stored) is who I believe realized we could disband the alliance. Only then was the plan changed and it culminated in a voice comm channel (don't recall what we used at the time) with myself, Vile Rat, Tamir, Mittani, XTTZ and Haargoth. I can't recall if anyone else was present. Graham might have been and he'll get more credit later. Suffice it to say I should have been less dismissive when immediately Mittani's first response was "Oh my god I just disbanded bob". Not sure anyone there can validate given their current status but these are facts.

The assault was conceived between myself and Graham in The Star Chamber. This was a room that contained only my closest confidants and not the rest of the general directorate. It sounds kind of like a dickish cliquey thing and it kind of is but it's also a common way to conduct business with some sense of discretion. Illum leaks happened. SC leaks didn't. I don't recall who else may have been involved in the conversation but I do believe that I said something to the effect of "We need to be prepared to move immediately" because I knew for morale if nothing else we needed to try to beat sov 4. I believe the actual idea to abandon the south was suggested by Graham. If it was not him then it was my idea but the entire Cortez gimmick was all him. Here's the image we used due to us latching on the quote from Admiral Remus in the Hollywood blockbuster The Hunt For Red October (I've never posted here so I don't know if that image will show):
http://i.imgur.com/nzjugIP.jpg

So we go all in. I usually avoid tooting my own horn (as can be evidenced by 6 years of silence) but in this case I honestly believe that to have been the most daring strategic move in the history of this game. We told thousands of people to pack their poo poo and move and every last one of them did so. There's a great story about a titan in build I abandoned then ninja'd out "solo" (with the help of XTTZ) after Jake Noble did math wrong but that's for another time.

I believe we would have won with that maneuver regardless of the Haargoth thing. Anyone who minimizes the strength of our military victory simply doesn't know what they're talking about. The image from my fanfest presentation clearly shows that it took us months to grind through their infrastructure. During that time we ensured that their entire capital fleet was unable to move, which is where the "Never park your capital fleet in non-npc space" lesson you all now take for granted came from. Spies do neither of these things. Had we not broken and utterly crushed them militarily BoB would have lost nothing but their name and some pride.
I point these things out because I've seen how the stories were told and how primary participants were written out of them so others could achieve vanity, power and "wealth". Most goons quietly roll their eyes at the comic book stuff. Tamir is a personal friend and loves to rib me about it. At the end of the day though I look back and realize I allowed myself to be taken advantage of, which is not a trait I exhibit. This is my attempt to rectify that.

Like every CEO/honest human being, I can say that I did a lot of things I regret. I treated people very badly. I treated myself badly. I was a borderline alcoholic who didn't sleep for days on end and yelled at everyone. I own every single story about how I was a dick to the guys who went to PL (though there was no small amount of help and there's a whole depth to that story that gets ignored). I constantly fought violently with dear friends such as Suas and Vilerat. I'm not proud of these things but I present my ugliness openly because I don't want to appear to be painting myself as some messiah. I was a dick BUT I was a dick who was CEO and I alone get to claim credit for the defeat of BoB as it was MY leadership, MY decisions and MY sleepless nights that carried us through that. I took credit for the bad and I get to take credit for the good as well.
Without myself there is no end to BoB. My first act as CEO was pulling us out of a Delve war we had lost. I had to swallow a lot of pride but when it comes to the safety of our alliance I was always a pragmatist first even if I did some poo poo that was a bit unhinged. (attacking allies because I didn't like them, destroying NC allied towers because they sniped our moons, the war with AAA over a complex (which we were right about and also won in the end)). Without Graham and Vilerat and XTTZ and DBRB, and Junkie Beverage and TheAdj and and and thousands of other goons BoB does not die.

BoB dies just fine without The Mittani and that's the way this story really goes. I'll couch that by giving him credit for inventing the metagame as it stands today but this wasn't our spy. It was someone spying on us who got caught. Mittani did contribute to the effort and did show up in a chatroom to help manage the disbanding and war, but that's not what his telling of the story has ever been.

The other thing I've been challenged a lot about were the details of my second CEOship. I'm not sure why people attack me as if I don't know what the situation was. I was retired and done. The one and only reason I came back is because it was clear at the time I was the only person who could keep the alliance together long enough to survive. The second Mittani quit his day job and could run the alliance full time I left again. Was it a powerhouse when I left it the second time? No. I never claimed it was. We had nothing left when I came back. No money. No name. No alliance. No space. Nothing.

I may have said some motivational things about our ability if we only believed in ourselves but that's what I was supposed to do and I honestly did believe in our success. The deal with TCF was done however, during my time and it was forged through the hard work of our diplomats and my own personal friendship with the leader of the French alliance. I agreed to take in any members who wanted to come over to our alliance. Mittani was not handed "ashes". He was handed space that we owned again and the core of a damaged alliance but a living one, which is more than I had when I came back.

I encourage you to speak to actual old goons about these days if you don't believe what I have to say but I'm also cool with you not believing it. Don't bother asking anyone who self identifies with the current alliance because frankly, that has nothing to do with this time and is nothing remotely like what I built. That doesn't mean Mittani hasn't done a tremendous job as a CEO and an EVE player and that he hasn't taken care of his people. His people just ended up not being my people but I can't take credit away from his current accomplishments and have always been a friend despite my recent realization that I've just spent the past decade or so being taken advantage of. I don't think he is malicious but I'm also not interested in having my accomplishments made his accomplishments any longer.

I'm not a big fan of reddit itself, creeper pics as free speech (they aren't) just blows my loving mind, but I also don't think every subreddit is the same and anyone who was around for dreddit's creation will know I was personally involved in ensuring they were given an environment to grow and I NEVER attached a single string. I had Vilerat give Dreddit free ships and kept them in free ships and NOBODY else in the history of this game that I am aware of has nurtured another alliance like that into a power. I was open and honest with leadership in Dreddit that I wanted them to join us but also respected their decision to go their own way and even continued to help them then.

There's a lot more I can discuss but frankly I find this draining and it's a part of me I thought I'd been able to walk away from. In recent days however I've had a number of friends come to me because Mittani's Bormann is hurting them. I encourage them to go elsewhere but this kind of behavior cannot and will not be tolerated. I'm not going to get into the details of Sion's transgressions unless they're not dealt with but if I can't have a nice quiet retirement then I will absolutely come back, in form, and start throwing loving hand grenades because that is who I am and what I do.

All of that being said I'm on the internet again for now so let's talk about stuff. I have a lot of knowledge of a lot of things that has never been discussed. I'll be happy to tell you I can't tell you something if I can't but I'll also be happy to share what I can. I'm not here to trash Mittani. I'm hoping he gets his poo poo together because he's a friend. It has been said that this looks petty, and it does, because I'm essentially having a public slapfight on the internet airing dirty laundry which isn't a trait I'm known for. I will counter that by saying you don't get a deaf man's attention by clapping your hands. So I won't be making GBS threads on him or really one else for no reason. I will however be happy to correct history and answer questions. I'm sure even just some stuff from my CSM and dev days would be of interest without the drama but I'm really trying to live out my Maynard James Keenan life chilling out and not being bothered.

Pretty interesting read, to be honest. :toot:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

so this is the second time someone has claimed that sion said a naughty thing to them but then they don't post the thing that got said

tbh sounds like both are lying

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kimsemus posted:

Pretty interesting read, to be honest. :toot:

#FreeKimsemus

#FishingPactsAreDumb

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Glory of Arioch posted:

so this is the second time someone has claimed that sion said a naughty thing to them but then they don't post the thing that got said

does darius claim that he got said poo poo to directly, or that other people got poo poo said to

Tally
May 26, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

You know at some point there will be a pastebin dump and then everyone can go back to spaceships and talking poo poo on twitter.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

does darius claim that he got said poo poo to directly, or that other people got poo poo said to

quote:

but since I haven't been left alone to play Diablo and play with my kids due to a particular sycophant's consistent personal attacks against my old friends

to be fair there's enough room in that statement for him to mean, like, anyone, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it means sion

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glory of Arioch posted:

to be fair there's enough room in that statement for him to mean, like, anyone, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say it means sion

That's more or less how I read it as well.

mostly because of

quote:

I'm not going to get into the details of Sion's transgressions unless they're not dealt with but if I can't have a nice quiet retirement then I will absolutely come back, in form, and start throwing loving hand grenades because that is who I am and what I do.

But he doesn't seem terribly pleased with mitten's bombast, grandstanding, and plagiarism either.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

point is, if sion said a naughty thing, and you're basically burning all your bridges anyways, why not just post it

if it is true, what do you have to lose

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Glory of Arioch posted:

point is, if sion said a naughty thing, and you're basically burning all your bridges anyways, why not just post it

if it is true, what do you have to lose

The moral high ground maybe, when you can say "I REALLY didn't want to do this, but..."

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Endie posted:

I talked about it in vague terms in the leaving announcement thing but basically the alliance had set three members (who had alliance roles that they really liked, so I don't think any of us are super-mad at them or anything for their choices) to spy on us, report convos, fish for info, find out the locations of our supers and see if any of us tried to get out, stuff like that. Having been in the alliance forever and having lots of friends we got warnings that we were being watched from a couple of people that night, and that the mood was threatening.
i would think a good spymaster would have known that had we wanted to know where your supers were, the bat corp api would have told us

like seriously, how have you not realized that yet

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Kimsemus posted:

The moral high ground maybe, when you can say "I REALLY didn't want to do this, but..."

yeah blawrf made a lot of effort to keep the moral high ground, i guess this could be it here too

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Glory of Arioch posted:

right they werent said to HIM they were said to others who passed it along, that's how that reads!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

right they werent said to HIM they were said to others who passed it along, that's how that reads!

ah, okay, yeah, that's fair

then, it's the second person to claim a naughty thing was said

my point remains -- why not just post it

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i get the feeling dj doesn't want to burn everything to the ground. he's just trying to shine spotlight on what he thinks is the dirty poo poo. p sure he wrote that in there somewhere :v:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Blazing Zero posted:

i get the feeling dj doesn't want to burn everything to the ground. he's just trying to shine spotlight on what he thinks is the dirty poo poo. p sure he wrote that in there somewhere :v:

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah blawrf made a lot of effort to keep the moral high ground, i guess this could be it here too

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

except publicly airing what was said (not even to whom it was said towards) would be morally superior as gently caress and completely unambiguous

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

lmao at all involved ITT

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blazing Zero posted:

quote:

For three because I didn't want my truth to be damaging to the alliance I helped build as lame as that sounds. That alliance, NDA and distance are all gone.

sounds like there's nothing he really wants to salvage from the current alliance to me

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

sounds like there's nothing he really wants to salvage from the current alliance to me

there are no goons

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

here is how we'd have located BAT's supers if we actually wanted to:

(7:00:42 PM) weaselior@home: !locate [weaseliors titan alt]
(7:00:43 PM) Dabigredbot: Found [weaseliors titan alt] in YA0-XJ flying a Erebus. Last logged in at 2015-06-07 23:25:29.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

as you can see, while endie's shame is that he has no idea the eve api exists and tells really dumb lies or falls for really dumb lies, mine is I never log my titan in :smith:

• Locked thread