Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

Build up and make zoning less hostile to splitting lots and multifamily projects.

The trouble is that the homeowners who bought in the 80s and 90s are not directly affected by the housing shortage, and place greater priority on the neighborhood looking like they remember than on the teacher at the school being able to live there. They got large sections of Austin downzoned, aggressively enforce deed restrictions, and work to preserve single family only neighborhood plans which are treated like the writ of God. So the construction occurs in areas that didn't then or doesn't now have the political pull to block it - East Austin.

A little article about the fight between developer and existing homeowners, in general: http://cityobservatory.org/homevoters-v-the-growth-machine/

The neighborhood plans are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Watson was a pretty good mayor but those were a terrible idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Badger of Basra posted:

The neighborhood plans are some of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Watson was a pretty good mayor but those were a terrible idea.

It looks like CODENEXT is going to scrap them wholesale at least.

I've been to Neighborhood Plan Contact Team meetings. They are quite possibly the most clique-ish, least productive meetings of people in existence. No matter what the answer is always No because we must uphold the Holy Neighborhood Plan!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

It looks like CODENEXT is going to scrap them wholesale at least.

I've been to Neighborhood Plan Contact Team meetings. They are quite possibly the most clique-ish, least productive meetings of people in existence. No matter what the answer is always No because we must uphold the Holy Neighborhood Plan!

I'm worried about CodeNEXT. It looks great but I'm afraid when they actually produce something the council is going to tear it apart to appease ~the neighborhoods~

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

PostNouveau posted:

Is there a major city in the country without these problems?

Sacramento. Sacramento is notably diverse racially, ethnically, and by household income, and has a notable lack of interracial disharmony. In 2002, the Civil Rights Project at Harvard University conducted for TIME magazine named Sacramento "America's Most Diverse City".[1] The U.S. Census Bureau also groups Sacramento with other U.S. cities having a "high diversity" rating of the diversity index.[53]

Maoist Pussy fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 23, 2016

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Omi-Polari posted:

The number one issue affecting Austin is affordability. Without a doubt. I've had several friends leave because they encountered this dilemma: To afford Austin's luxuries requires working more hours, which means less time to enjoy the very things you're paying a premium to do. The result is to say gently caress it and move, where at least you'll have more money, or more time.

Omi-Polari posted:

It's funny because I'm in the process of moving from Austin to DFW. But it's for almost all boring getting-older reasons (save money, be closer to family, etc.) and my work lets me do that easily. The other funny thing ... I won't actually save much money, at least in the short term. It will add up in the long-run, but urban housing costs are a problem state-wide. It's a bubble and we're living in it.

Austin has some quirks but the differences in cities is often talked about as differences between the people who live in them. I used to think more like that, but looking back I realize we highlight those difference for pretty ugly, vain reasons. Fact is that people are pretty much the same everywhere. The real differences are material, spatial, etc.

Yeah, this. Also I had a north-south commute, after several years it was driving me batty. I prefer free time over money, and in Dallas found that very doable with affordable housing. Plus its a good place to be a 30-40 something year old mid-career type. What part are you planning on moving to?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Those of you who have lived in TX a long time, what do you think the endpoint of the wing-nut-ization of Texas politics is? IS there one?

In recent years it's gone from Rick Perry and KayBay to Abbott, Patrick, and Ted Cruz. It seems there is no end in sight. Will it take some huge collapse of the economy for a large portion of Texans to no longer revel in their identity as right wing trogs? Will the majority actually get sick of this at some point?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zwabu posted:

Those of you who have lived in TX a long time, what do you think the endpoint of the wing-nut-ization of Texas politics is? IS there one?

In recent years it's gone from Rick Perry and KayBay to Abbott, Patrick, and Ted Cruz. It seems there is no end in sight. Will it take some huge collapse of the economy for a large portion of Texans to no longer revel in their identity as right wing trogs? Will the majority actually get sick of this at some point?

Probably something similar to what happened in California during the 80s & 90s.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Comedy Option: Democrats could remember that the river valley exists and spend even half a second on GOTV efforts there.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dameius posted:

Comedy Option: Democrats could remember that the river valley exists and spend even half a second on GOTV efforts there.

Oh right, if only Democrats remembered to do GOTV! Someone should tell the DNC!!

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's not GOTV generically but specifically treating like the river valley exists and that the people there have actually needs and problems and wants. The state level party is all sorts of hosed and withered on the vine though so I'd rather count on Republicans collapsing under their own success than the state level Democrats pulling their heads out their own asses.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I do remember that when I lived in Corpus Christi that South tx generally has low turnout.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Senate Finance committee his having a hearing tomorrow afternoon for Hegar to explain what oil prices are doing to his revenue estimates. Last week Hegar did a Tribcast thing where he was like "It's fine, everything is fine", but let's see if he's as sanguine before someone who isn't a reporter.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

god dammit, Rick

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Aliquid posted:

god dammit, Rick

Why isn't he in a cell yet God damnit? :argh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The investigations into Planned Parenthood have yielded indictments in Texas:

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/25/grand-jury-indicts-abortion-foes-behind-undercover/

quote:

A Harris County grand jury on Monday indicted the videographers behind undercover recordings of a Planned Parenthood clinic in Houston and cleared the clinic of any wrongdoing.

The indictments — part of the county prosecutor's’ investigation into allegations that Planned Parenthood was illegally selling fetal tissue — include charges against anti-abortion activists David Daleiden and Sandra Merritt for tampering with a governmental record. The grand jury handed down a second charge for Daleiden for “Prohibition of the Purchase and Sale of Human Organs.”

The grand jury cleared Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast in Houston of any wrongdoing.

State Republican leaders last year pushed for investigations into Planned Parenthood after videos were released depicting Planned Parenthood officials across the nation discussing how their providers obtain fetal tissue for medical research.

Whoops

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gee, uh, someone remind me, who was it that was pushing hard for a criminal investigation into this?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Daleiden getting indicted for buying/selling organs is way better than I thought could ever happen for this. I'm cackling with glee.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Now charge them with murder for what that knucklehead in Colorado Springs went and did because of his outrage over those doctored videos.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Parachute posted:

Now charge them with murder for what that knucklehead in Colorado Springs went and did because of his outrage over those doctored videos.

Not sure if they could get a criminal charge but I bet they could win a wrongful death civil suit.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't had an excuse to link this video in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wEs9x7G3w

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I bet I know which DA is getting a line-item veto next budget....

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

I bet I know which DA is getting a line-item veto next budget....

Yeah I'd make drat sure I have a designated driver at all times if I'm the Harris Co. DA.

Speaking off, y'all see about Vince?

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

PostNouveau posted:

http://www.texastribune.org/2016/01/25/grand-jury-indicts-abortion-foes-behind-undercover/

Whoops

Reversal of fortune. This is excellent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yeah I'd make drat sure I have a designated driver at all times if I'm the Harris Co. DA.

Speaking off, y'all see about Vince?

It's a frame job. Probably disgruntled Aggies.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Whoops

gently caress these people.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

I do remember that when I lived in Corpus Christi that South tx generally has low turnout.

You should live in McAllen and be disappointed in turnout even more that's even further south than Corpus! :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that that Comptroller hearing is going on right now. Here's a pretty good explainer on what lower oil and gas prices could mean for the next budget.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Reminder that that Comptroller hearing is going on right now. Here's a pretty good explainer on what lower oil and gas prices could mean for the next budget.

I get to see the Comptroller speak next week at my university. What should I ask him?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Aliquid posted:

I get to see the Comptroller speak next week at my university. What should I ask him?

Is the 'P' in Comptroller silent?

Alternate: Ask him why nobody knows when the Comptroller is in the bathroom. When he asks why, say it is because the 'P' is silent.

Reik fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's supposed to be but gently caress everyone that pronounces it controller.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

lower oil and gas prices could mean for the next budget.

I'm going to assume lots of panicking, refusal to touch the rainy day fund, and yet more slashing of infrastructure while tossing out even more tax breaks to out of state businesses. Part of me misses the batshit crazy legislative session I lobbied with but the rest of me cowers in fear that these asshats keep getting elected.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

I'm going to assume lots of panicking, refusal to touch the rainy day fund, and yet more slashing of infrastructure while tossing out even more tax breaks to out of state businesses. Part of me misses the batshit crazy legislative session I lobbied with but the rest of me cowers in fear that these asshats keep getting elected.

Hegar is painting a pretty rosy picture, saying that Texas is fine economically and that they need more data points, need to know what the supplemental approps/LARs are like before they can nail down an accurate forecast.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Hegar is painting a pretty rosy picture, saying that Texas is fine economically and that they need more data points, need to know what the supplemental approps/LARs are like before they can nail down an accurate forecast.

Has his hair caught on fire yet from all that?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not enough of an economist to say if he's wrong or not. My feeling is that any kind of economic crisis is more likely to be regional than statewide, and we still have $8 bn+ in the ESF. Whether we'll use that money remains to be seen, but I'll point out the biggest obstacle to using rainy day fund money was Rick Perry.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

I'm not enough of an economist to say if he's wrong or not. My feeling is that any kind of economic crisis is more likely to be regional than statewide, and we still have $8 bn+ in the ESF. Whether we'll use that money remains to be seen, but I'll point out the biggest obstacle to using rainy day fund money was Rick Perry.

Good point; my kinfolk are out in west Texas so I suppose I have a more dismal view of the price of oil situation than other people. But that's still a huge budget shortfall that they're going to have to overcome, and I'm not sure how many tech jobs we'd have to import to be able to make up for it. I vaguely recall some of Abbott's positions on the ESF when the whole thing was going on and during the election, but I'm too lazy to look them up atm.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Zwabu posted:

Mostly outbreeding the idiot hicks, really. And even with that you're going to run in to the issue where the districts are sliced and diced with the urban areas being a giant blue middle finger of frustration in the sea of rural red.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

Good point; my kinfolk are out in west Texas so I suppose I have a more dismal view of the price of oil situation than other people. But that's still a huge budget shortfall that they're going to have to overcome, and I'm not sure how many tech jobs we'd have to import to be able to make up for it. I vaguely recall some of Abbott's positions on the ESF when the whole thing was going on and during the election, but I'm too lazy to look them up atm.

Per Hegar today, the state has lost about 70k jobs across mining and production in oil and gas, it's added 100k non industry jobs in the same period.

Now those jobs aren't going to be spread evenly in the state, I doubt the Eagleford shale region is stacking tech jobs, but in terms of state budgeting, it's not as bad as you would think (if you believe the numbers)

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Per Hegar today, the state has lost about 70k jobs across mining and production in oil and gas, it's added 100k non industry jobs in the same period.

Now those jobs aren't going to be spread evenly in the state, I doubt the Eagleford shale region is stacking tech jobs, but in terms of state budgeting, it's not as bad as you would think (if you believe the numbers)

Any mention of how much those non-industry jobs were from transplants? Semi-legit question, actually. Mostly so I can complain more about immigrants showing up here in Austin and driving my drat rent up.

Wonder what the hell they're going to be doing with all the hotels and shanties they built up during the boom out in Midland/Odessa.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

citybeatnik posted:

Any mention of how much those non-industry jobs were from transplants? Semi-legit question, actually. Mostly so I can complain more about immigrants showing up here in Austin and driving my drat rent up.

Wonder what the hell they're going to be doing with all the hotels and shanties they built up during the boom out in Midland/Odessa.

Not sure but I will tell you that Austin has experienced 15% yearly growth over the last five years and the next three fastest growing cities in the country grew at 5%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

zoux posted:

Not sure but I will tell you that Austin has experienced 15% yearly growth over the last five years and the next three fastest growing cities in the country grew at 5%.

I'm fully aware; it's also not just tech. There's been plenty of law school refugees from up north moving down here as well.

Hell, maybe one of these days I'll get off my butt and actually start going to some of these meetings. We could organize a candidate around the "hit 'em over the head with a hammer, throw 'em down a hole" for city council.