Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Badges are for sale, and yet there isn't a 2016 thread. Why have you forsaken us, Quarex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Got mine. Only like half a year left guys!

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Ah, these salad days of badge purchasing before we all turn on each other during the room lottery (which will, as always, have a backdoor that will cause problems). GenCon!

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Ah, these salad days of badge purchasing before we all turn on each other during the room lottery (which will, as always, have a backdoor that will cause problems). GenCon!

I'LL KILL YOU YOU SON OF A BITCH

edit; for your room obv

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 23, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Keep the faith my friends! Keep alive the dream of the downtown hotel!

:Returns inside ivory tower with VIG Companion friend.:

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I booked a hotel within a mile in August either it was a great find or a loving shithole and I'll regret it.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The one time it's ever been advantageous to be living in Indianapolis :getin:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I think we need to do this room lottery Ork style. I'm 6'5" so I'll go first...

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They should just use Lucas Oil as a shanty town and tent city. It'll be somewhere between Fallout 4 and the execution scene from the Omega Man.

5XL shirts will make excellent tents and you can all get in on the ground floor of my new pet project, the utili-ger.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.
Do the 4 day badges sell out at all or do they just sell as many as they can? I want to wait until the 30th to grab my tickets.

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
When do badges get sent out? As they're ordered, or do they do them all at once during the summer? Probably going to be moving in April, so I don't want to have my badges sent to the wrong address.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Usually they get sent out around July if I'm remembering correctly.

I don't think they sell out of anything other than VIG and VIG Companion passes, which have a finite amount.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I really want to buy a badge, but considering that the folks I go with aren't going this year it's highly unlikely I'll be able to go with no one to split a room with.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
Badges for sale with the hotel apocalypse coming this Sunday and we're stuck with this 2015 thread. Quarex, I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

JetSet posted:

When do badges get sent out? As they're ordered, or do they do them all at once during the summer? Probably going to be moving in April, so I don't want to have my badges sent to the wrong address.

Will Call now opens on Wednesday (at like noon I think) and is open 24 hours a day during the con. I'd honestly recommend the Will Call if you aren't sure the badges will be mailed to the correct address.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

TheHoosier posted:

The one time it's ever been advantageous to be living in Indianapolis :getin:

:hf:

10/10 will pretend to be a tourist in my own city again

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Reynold posted:

:hf:

10/10 will pretend to be a tourist in my own city again

Same. That and we get to watch the room lotto fight from afar.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

No Gen Con for me this year. I have to live vicariously through y'all.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It feels so weird not having to join the hotel melee this year. I get to make up for it with Gary Con event registration in a couple hours. Still think I'll get my badge this weekend, just seems wrong not to.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Rad Valtar posted:

I booked a hotel within a mile in August either it was a great find or a loving shithole and I'll regret it.

Yeah, I've got a room in the Westin, but GenCon rate is cheaper.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

Deathlove posted:

Yeah, I've got a room in the Westin, but GenCon rate is cheaper.

I figured it was more expensive but the security of knowing it's done was worth it.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

As someone who has never actually won the housing Thunderdome, what kinda rooms can you get through it? Prices, locations, etc?

And uh, how strictly do they enforce that 1-2 people per badge thing?

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 23, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

As someone who has never actually won the housing Thunderdome, what kinda rooms can you get through it? Prices, locations, etc?

The Thunderdome covers all of the downtown hotels though I think there are a couple small ones not in it. Prices differ based on the hotel. The JW is of course going to be more expensive than the La Quinta Inn down by the prison.

They might have raised the rates too. I don't think we'll know until Tina Turner repels down from that ceiling.

EDIT:

I don't think they strictly enforce it unless you're cramming a dozen gamers into a room. How many people are you planning on cramming into a room?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 23, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

4, which I'd imagine should be ok, I had a single suite with 6 people squeezed in last year so this year I'll be in the lap of relative luxury.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Rooms per badge, right?

quote:

Room Limits In-Place
Badge purchasers are allowed to book one hotel room for every 1-2 badges purchased. The following is an easy table to note how many rooms may be reserved per badge. Rooms are reserved one-at-a-time.

1-2 badges = One rooms
3-4 badges = Two rooms
5-6 badges = Three rooms
7+ badges = etc ...

You can cram as many people into a room as the hotel will let you get away with, and in my experience the hotels don't give a poo poo as long as you're not openly doing it and you don't piss off the cleaner. We had 10 to a standard double room in 2014, and 12 to a suite last year. Probably end up doing again this year.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Holy poo poo. I refused to do more than 3 per room because I like to be able to sleep in a bed rather than in a pile of all my friends like we're mice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Having 7+ people in a room is a rite of passage.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How can you all fit your body pillows in there with you? Seems like a logistics nightmare.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

How can you all fit your body pillows in there with you? Seems like a logistics nightmare.
I'm bringing my wife such that I don't need a waifu. :colbert:

STEALTH EDIT: That said, I think there's gonna be four or five of us in the room.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003
It's not too bad if you are all good friends and bring earplugs. Keeps costs down.

I would do the suite thing again this year only I don't think we are going to have enough people. It was awesome to have a room that could seat our entire group in comfort. That fucker was huge -- had a round table that would seat 8 easily and was perfect for gaming. Then there was a couch and a couple of recliners in a different area. It cost like $1000 a night, but split 12 ways that's fine. And we could just book it without having to go through the whole lottery thing.

Waifu pillows get left at home. No wives, no waifus. No husbands, no..husbandus? Is that even a thing? It's probably a thing. Quarters are tighter on the drive up than in the room.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm planning on doing the whole 4 days this year. :getin:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I believe it is spelled "hasubando," Saint Gerald.

Mai hasubando pillow~

Oh

Making a new thread

ugh

so hard

I guess I will start by looking at my pictures from last year for inspiration! And will otherwise mostly copy/paste the original post from this year, though of course with corrections corrected rather than annotated. That made sense right

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

It's not too bad if you are all good friends and bring earplugs. Keeps costs down.

I would do the suite thing again this year only I don't think we are going to have enough people. It was awesome to have a room that could seat our entire group in comfort. That fucker was huge -- had a round table that would seat 8 easily and was perfect for gaming. Then there was a couch and a couple of recliners in a different area. It cost like $1000 a night, but split 12 ways that's fine. And we could just book it without having to go through the whole lottery thing.

Waifu pillows get left at home. No wives, no waifus. No husbands, no..husbandus? Is that even a thing? It's probably a thing. Quarters are tighter on the drive up than in the room.

You could always come share my futon with me. I will just have to let the wife know she gets the bed to herself that week.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Dr. Quarex posted:

I believe it is spelled "hasubando," Saint Gerald.

Mai hasubando pillow~

Hasubando. I pray to all that is holy that I am never in the situation of having to need to know that again.

Backno posted:

You could always come share my futon with me. I will just have to let the wife know she gets the bed to herself that week.

I am slathering myself from head to toe in apple butter in anticipation.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

saint gerald posted:

Hasubando. I pray to all that is holy that I am never in the situation of having to need to know that again.

I am slathering myself from head to toe in apple butter in anticipation.

Too bad you 2 destroyed your goodie basket before this storm hit.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Which hotels should I be gunning for if I somehow get a sweet lottery spot

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

For those who are about to die, we salute you.

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

Texibus posted:

http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap

Downtown ones connected by skyway or within a few blocks will be good. As far as quality IDK but you should be gaming, not sleeping

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
The best part if you don't get a good hotel is watching the gencon forums and everyone proclaim "I"M NOT GOING THIS YEAR NOW! THX GENCON!!11" or writing super long rants about how their situation should allow for the first picks of hotels.

:jerky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Texibus posted:

JW Marriott, Marriott Downtown, Westin, Hyatt Regency, Le Meredian, Omni Severin, Crowne Plaza.

And goodbye, GenCon website.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jan 24, 2016

• Locked thread