Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

team overhead smash posted:

13 year old refugee girl shot dead trying to stab an Israeli security guard

Even stories devoid of specifics like this get to me quite a bit. I can imagine this girl being brought up her entire life in a tent refugee camp, under foreign occupation, and after an argument with the family snapping and going off to do something about it only to get gunned down accomplishing nothing and it's loving heartbreaking.

That 13-year-old girl was a terrorist, and considering her death "regrettable" or a "tragedy" or even "sad" is just plain antisemitic. Quite simply, if the Palestinian people simply committed themselves to pacifism, simply such that no Palestinian ever raised their simple hand to an Israeli, everything would simply work itself out, just as simply as with the Prague Spring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Effectronica posted:

That 13-year-old girl was a terrorist, and considering her death "regrettable" or a "tragedy" or even "sad" is just plain antisemitic. Quite simply, if the Palestinian people simply committed themselves to pacifism, simply such that no Palestinian ever raised their simple hand to an Israeli, everything would simply work itself out, just as simply as with the Prague Spring.

An armed guard of an occupying force at an illegal settlement in the West Bank is a legitimate military target. What's terrorist about her actions? If we're calling people terrorists, isn't the guard the terrorist for carrying out war crimes? gently caress, when a 13 year old girl manages to follow the law of war better than 'the most moral army in the world', you know the IDF are pretty twisted.

Also why the hypocrisy? Why don't the Israelis have to commit themselves to pacifism - or hell, why don't they have to commit themselves to a much lower standard of keeping themselves secure through overwhelming force and violence but doing so while not occupying another country and committing war crimes?

It seems the only anti-Semite here.......is you!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
In AmerikkkaAmerica we just call that "suicide by cop" :patriot:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

An armed guard of an occupying force at an illegal settlement in the West Bank is a legitimate military target. What's terrorist about her actions? If we're calling people terrorists, isn't the guard the terrorist for carrying out war crimes? gently caress, when a 13 year old girl manages to follow the law of war better than 'the most moral army in the world', you know the IDF are pretty twisted.

Also why the hypocrisy? Why don't the Israelis have to commit themselves to pacifism - or hell, why don't they have to commit themselves to a much lower standard of keeping themselves secure through overwhelming force and violence but doing so while not occupying another country and committing war crimes?

It seems the only anti-Semite here.......is you!

Effectronica doesn't actually believe that, he's just facetiously representing the implicit views of a bunch of the shittier pro-Israel posters (and the explicit views of at least a couple).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Even stories devoid of specifics like this get to me quite a bit. I can imagine this girl being brought up her entire life in a tent refugee camp, under foreign occupation, and after an argument with the family snapping and going off to do something about it only to get gunned down accomplishing nothing and it's loving heartbreaking.

Some reports claim that, rather than "doing something about it", whatever that means, it's simply "suicide by IDF". After all, why bother working up the nerve to shoot yourself (and run the risk of surviving) when you can let a knife fall out of your pocket in front of a security guard, who will then proceed to make drat sure you die? Normally I wouldn't necessarily take the "Judea and Samaria police" at their word, but it's an interesting take on this.

http://www.jewishpress.com/news/suicide-by-idf-knife-wielding-13-year-old-girl-chased-after-security-guard/2016/01/23/

quote:

On Saturday it became apparent that Arab teenagers, especially females, escaping a family brawl, try to get arrested or killed by attacking Israeli security forces at a check post. According to Judea and Samaria police, the phenomenon used to be limited to young women trying to get arrested by hiding a knife on their person when crossing the check post; now they’ve begun to try to use the knife, presumably looking to get killed.

A police official told Walla, “Now, following the terror wave, some [girls] want to commit suicide, but they tell themselves, why get killed for nothing, better to become a shaheed (martyr). What’s clear is that in these cases it’s not normal terrorists but civilians with a clean record.”

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That actually makes it worse, especially if the cops are aware of this phenomenon and continue to gun down people

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1185616/

Good movie about the 1982 invasion of Lebanon and the Sabra-Shatilla massacre.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rscott posted:

That actually makes it worse, especially if the cops are aware of this phenomenon and continue to gun down people

I volunteer you to provide mental health services to suicide bombers armed with their bomb.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baloogan posted:

I volunteer you to provide mental health services to suicide bombers armed with their bomb.

Those crafty depressed children with their suicide-knife-bombs.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

If only those jack-booted IDF soldiers could learn from the inspiring example of this woman.

I agree but I'm not quite sure where you're coming from where you seem to imply that her "accomplishing nothing" is part of the reason for that heartbreak.

The Insect Court fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 25, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

icantfindaname posted:

Because he's unable to process the idea of equality before the law and universal human rights, or of racial and ethnic groups not being in a hierarchy of superiority to each other

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Non-citizens do not have equality before the law with citizens in any nation that I know of. Anyone who supports groups like Hamas could, obviously, not become an Israeli citizen under any rational policy.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, you are right, that region of the world has never used suicide bombs ever.

You wear political correctness like a suicide vest.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

The Insect Court posted:

I agree but I'm not quite sure where you're coming from where you seem to imply that her "accomplishing nothing" is part of the reason for that heartbreak.

Her death accomplished nothing, no greater cause was served and it was completely futile. Israel is no closer to ending its occupation and her family is no closer to getting out of a refugee camp.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Her death accomplished nothing, no greater cause was served and it was completely futile. Israel is no closer to ending its occupation and her family is no closer to getting out of a refugee camp.
If only she actually managed to stab that Zionist occupier. What a shame.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
hmm armed security guards are less legitimate targets than actual soldiers, but they are still armed agents of enemy occupation so...

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baloogan posted:

Yeah, you are right, that region of the world has never used suicide bombs ever.

So should we just assume everyone of a 'different' ethnicity's wearing a bomb then?

I mean that sounds like something that'd be in the IDF playbook, but if they know this phenomena is happening, then it'd be pretty good if they could try and find a Plan A that's not shooting down depressed young people brandishing a knife.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 25, 2016

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Xander77 posted:

If only she actually managed to stab that Zionist occupier. What a shame.

Because that's the only possible contribution those inherently evil Palestinians could possibly give towards ending the occupation, right?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Baloogan posted:

You wear treating people with respect like a suicide vest.

Best browser add-on I ever installed since AdBlock.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Because that's the only possible contribution those inherently evil Palestinians could possibly give towards ending the occupation, right?

Well, Israel has done it's best to remove all other options for the last few decades.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Baloogan posted:

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.

What about the right to not be born into a prison camp? The right to not suffer collective punishment? The right to not be discriminated against for your ethnicity? Am I to assume you believe the right to gun down children wielding knives is really greater than any other liberty you can imagine?

E: Okay, fair's fair. The right to tell people that gunning down children wielding knives is an acceptable precaution.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 25, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Freedom means the right to tell Palestinians that they and their descendants will forever be non-persons condemned to live in squalor as everything of worth that they possess will be taken from them forcibly, neener-neener, serves you right for being towelheads instead of God's Chosen People.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Best browser add-on I ever installed since AdBlock.

It isn't showing up for me?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:

Maoist Pussy posted:

It isn't showing up for me?

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pc2respect/mgkjmkalaomdhdldmfbgpjdpmpdnhiio?hl=en

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Kajeesus posted:

What about the right to not be born into a prison camp? The right to not suffer collective punishment? The right to not be discriminated against for your ethnicity? Am I to assume you believe the right to gun down children wielding knives is really greater than any other liberty you can imagine?

E: Okay, fair's fair. The right to tell people that gunning down children wielding knives is an acceptable precaution.

How does this not illustrate to you that the liberal narrative of individualist rights is of extremely limited application?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm kind of mixed about this knife thing. How far away was she when she was shot and did the guards have the feasible option of temporarily avoiding her (since I would imagine adult soldiers could outrun a 13-year-old girl) until people properly equipped to deal with such a thing (like tazers or something, I don't know) could arrive?

Because it isn't really a good idea for anyone to try to physically stop someone with a knife, even if that person is a child and you're an adult wearing body armor who is skilled in martial arts or something. You can still easily get cut/stabbed in a bad place and end up bleeding out. So if the soldiers didn't really have any place they could temporarily escape to* while waiting for someone with, at the very least, a less lethal weapon, I can understand why they fired.

*I know that many people would react to this like "WHY SHOULD THE SOLDIERS RUN FROM THE CRIMINAL THAT IS DUMB", but when it's the difference between a human being living or dying (especially if it's a child), it seems like being the "coward" is the better choice.

edit: I'm also sort of anticipating some argument along the lines of "well if soldiers started avoiding kids with knives, Palestinians would start charging checkpoints en masse with knives!", but that is dumb because "a bunch of people charging with knives" is a completely different situation than "one person charging with a knife" and could be treated differently as a result (and is also extremely unlikely to happen in the first place).

Baloogan posted:

lol, someone disagreeing with you or even insulting what you say does not mean they are denying you the right to say things. No one is petitioning for your previous posts in this thread to be removed from the forums*; they're just saying that you're saying stupid thing. I've never understood how right-wing and libertarian types manage to have such a bizarre interpretation of the first amendment.

*even this wouldn't violate the first amendment since SA moderators aren't the government

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 25, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Ytlaya posted:

*even this wouldn't violate the first amendment since SA moderators aren't the government

And refusing to serve lunch to minority diners at the Woolworth's lunch counter didn't violate the 14th Amendment, at first.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm kind of mixed about this knife thing. How far away was she when she was shot and did the guards have the feasible option of temporarily avoiding her (since I would imagine adult soldiers could outrun a 13-year-old girl) until people properly equipped to deal with such a thing (like tazers or something, I don't know) could arrive?

Because it isn't really a good idea for anyone to try to physically stop someone with a knife, even if that person is a child and you're an adult wearing body armor who is skilled in martial arts or something. You can still easily get cut/stabbed in a bad place and end up bleeding out. So if the soldiers didn't really have any place they could temporarily escape to* while waiting for someone with, at the very least, a less lethal weapon, I can understand why they fired.

*I know that many people would react to this like "WHY SHOULD THE SOLDIERS RUN FROM THE CRIMINAL THAT IS DUMB", but when it's the difference between a human being living or dying (especially if it's a child), it seems like being the "coward" is the better choice.

edit: I'm also sort of anticipating some argument along the lines of "well if soldiers started avoiding kids with knives, Palestinians would start charging checkpoints en masse with knives!", but that is dumb because "a bunch of people charging with knives" is a completely different situation than "one person charging with a knife" and could be treated differently as a result (and is also extremely unlikely to happen in the first place).

lol, someone disagreeing with you or even insulting what you say does not mean they are denying you the right to say things. No one is petitioning for your previous posts in this thread to be removed from the forums*; they're just saying that you're saying stupid thing. I've never understood how right-wing and libertarian types manage to have such a bizarre interpretation of the first amendment.

Aren't those IDF guys all supposed to know Krav Maga anyways?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Plus, a good chunk of police forces (which the IDF are functionally doubling as) are trained to take down knife-wielding criminals non-lethally. They're called 'stab vests' for a reason.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Is the IDF going to kill her family? Or just burn down the whole refugee camp?

EDIT: Golan Heights are starting to look peaceful again, probs time to wreck-tify that. :smug:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well in this case, it was a civilian security guard (who was standing guard at the entrance to a settlement), who was apparently chased by this girl and ran away for a while before turning around and shooting. So it doesn't exactly seem to be brutality.

It does, however, illustrate a larger shift - while the previous waves of violence happened in East Jerusalem, this and other recent attacks happened in the West Bank.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
From the Davos conference:

There's no way he's not doing this on purpose at this point

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I think Netanyahu is bonkers, but we don't have to stoop to using his quotes out of context to prove that point.

quote:

Zakaria: How do you defeat the idea? How do you...? If you, if a Muslim leader were to come to you and say, look, 95% of my society is moderate, mainstream, non-violent, but I do have these pockets of extremism. What do you think is the answer to purging these Muslim societies of this, of extremism, even if it affects only a small minority?

Netanyahu: You want my...?

Zakaria: Yeah.

Netanyahu: In a word? I think the key is despair, it's to rob them of hope, the hope that their wild fantasies will actually win out the day. That's the main thing you have to say. They have to keep on defeating them over a persistent... Because this has been around, you know? This has been around for centuries. It's been brewing under the surface and now it pops up and people have hope. Yes, we can establish the instant caliphate; yes, we can dominate the world; yes, we can re-impose a medieval creed, a savage creed that is a thousand years old, over modernity. And you have to show the opposite. No, modernity defeats you.

http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/PressRoom/2016/Pages/PM-Netanyahu-at-the-WEF-event-hosted-by-Fareed-Zakaria-21-Jan-2016.aspx

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Reik posted:

I think Netanyahu is bonkers, but we don't have to stoop to using his quotes out of context to prove that point.

http://mfa.gov.il/MFA/PressRoom/2016/Pages/PM-Netanyahu-at-the-WEF-event-hosted-by-Fareed-Zakaria-21-Jan-2016.aspx

That... doesn't really paint him any better though? He has some good points about how you can't remove one side of a stick, but then he immediately nose-dives into "Muslims are inherently dangerous and violent".

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Wales Grey posted:

That... doesn't really paint him any better though? He has some good points about how you can't remove one side of a stick, but then he immediately nose-dives into "Muslims are inherently dangerous and violent".

I just think he's saying extremism is dangerous and violent, which is hilarious in my opinion as I believe he's rather extreme himself.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He was asked 'how should muslim leaders purge their societies of the minority of extremists' and he responds to that question. The subject of his response is 'muslim extremists' not 'muslims'.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The misrepresented quote paints him as a comic book villain, while the proper context just makes him look like an idiot. He's said and done a lot of heinous poo poo, but piling half-truths and dodgy quotations on top just muddies the message.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
I didn't even realize it was out of context because it was from a list of inspiring and thought-provoking quotes from Davos (though to be fair a great many of them were just as stupid).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
His response is all the more interesting when you consider the extremist elements within Israeli society itself. Considering government policy toward them, it's hard to say that modernity is defeating extremist haredi or that militant Zionists are being deprived of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah, context transforms Bibi from a comic supervillain to an hypocritical moron.