Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Spades Slick smashed the clock. Vriska did nothing wrong.

Smashing the clock had as much effect on Vriska's verdict as smashing a thermometer has on a fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Cat Mattress posted:

Smashing the clock had as much effect on Vriska's verdict as smashing a thermometer has on a fever.

how did you know my secret technique

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

One of the biggest points of contention about Vriska is something you haven't reached yet so hold that thought.

Ytlaya posted:

So Vriska said all her feelings to John before getting stabbed (which I guess stuck since it was a "Just" killing)

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Spades Slick smashed the clock. Vriska did nothing wrong.

Cat Mattress posted:

Perfect

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005783

Is the John in this dream bubble or whatever the one who died when stabbed on the quest bed?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Ytlaya posted:

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005783

Is the John in this dream bubble or whatever the one who died when stabbed on the quest bed?

Nah I think that's the one Terezi tricked into flying into his denizen's lair.

Honestly hard to keep track of all the dead Johns.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm pretty sure that the dreambubble ghosts of dead players only stay in the dreambubbles for as long as they don't have a body to go back to, meaning that players who go god tier are only there for as long as their body takes to resurrect itself. John clearly knew what happened on LOWAS after he resurrected, and Dream Jade mentions the dreambubbles when she's prototyped. Also, we never actually meet any alpha timeline ghosts from people who aren't permadead.

So while there WAS a John ghost from when got to got tiger, it got pulled back out the second he came back to life. The John that Vriska's talking to there is the one from the Davesprite timeline, who got tricked by Terezi into going to his Denizen too early.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm pretty sure that the dreambubble ghosts of dead players only stay in the dreambubbles for as long as they don't have a body to go back to, meaning that players who go god tier are only there for as long as their body takes to resurrect itself.

As the most recent flash shows, this is incorrect.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ytlaya posted:

So Vriska said all her feelings to John before getting stabbed (which I guess stuck since it was a "Just" killing) and then Karkat saw the messages and said some thing that would clearly imply to any normal person that Vriska was dead but I guess John is kind of dense and isn't picking up on it.
Welcome to the glory that is John "bluh. I don't want to think about that." Egbert.

quote:

Do we ever find out more about Doc Scratch other than him being the guardian of the trolls' planet? His role in the story kind of confuses me.
Yes, quite a lot more.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

These segments with dead-John and dead-Vriska are kind of sweet.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

I just watched a neat flash where Terezi confronts Vriska. I'm not sure what's up with the disk being scratched and everything being all glitchy as a result, though; is that just a joke?

This was a really loving cool flash and probably one of my favorites overall; I thought the glitch effects were really well done and super well mirrored the relationship between Terezi and Vriska at that point and it had a really neat cliffhanger end

Plus the music is cool as poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tavros unironically does the best rhymes out of any of the characters in this comic.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ytlaya posted:

Tavros unironically does the best rhymes out of any of the characters in this comic.

You have good opinions and you should feel good.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

As the most recent flash shows, this is incorrect.

It doesn't though. It only shows the first few moments after they "wake up" on the other side, nothing about what happens if their soul is needed back to a vessel of some sort. Dream Jade even directly contradicts that line of thinking, given that she mentions being around in the afterlife for an extended period of time before suddenly being brought back as Jadesprite.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm in the process of watching the end of Act 5 flash and I'm a little confused about a couple things:

- How did the quest beds get to Jade, Dave, and Rose, and even with the beds how can they become god tier if their other selves are already dead (edit: oh, Jadesprite was used for Jade at least)?

- How did Jack get to future Earth where he killed all the exiles except PM ( :( )?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

curiousTerminal posted:

It doesn't though. It only shows the first few moments after they "wake up" on the other side, nothing about what happens if their soul is needed back to a vessel of some sort. Dream Jade even directly contradicts that line of thinking, given that she mentions being around in the afterlife for an extended period of time before suddenly being brought back as Jadesprite.

Tough to say, I guess. My read on it was God Tiering was nigh-instantaneous; as soon as the body on the quest bed died, the body intended to ascend just immediately does so, taking the player's "alpha consciousness" with it at that point. Rewatching the flash, I guess there's room for either or, so I was wrong to say you were definitively incorrect.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are quest beds in the cores of the moons of Prospit and Derse. That's what happened to Aradia.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Also Jade's dreamself was revived when it was prototyped so she got to god-tier normally (except for the part where she was fused with an omnipotent dog). Jack put himself inside the time capsule on the meteor with the frog temple on it that would later crash into earth.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the process of watching the end of Act 5 flash and I'm a little confused about a couple things:

- How did the quest beds get to Jade, Dave, and Rose, and even with the beds how can they become god tier if their other selves are already dead (edit: oh, Jadesprite was used for Jade at least)?

- How did Jack get to future Earth where he killed all the exiles except PM ( :( )?

When Doc Scratch said to Rose that she had a 50-50 chance of ascending, what he was referring to was the fact that there are two ways to ascend: The first way, the one that John, Jade, and Vriska use, requires a live dream self and the use of the player planet's quest bed. The second way, which Rose, Dave, and Aradia use, only require that they have A body and it's on the other quest bed in the core of Prospit/Derse's moon.

As for Jack, he entered the same Lotus pod that the White King entered, moments after he entered it. Some 413 million years later, both emerged.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

1. Dave and Rose found quest beds in the center of Derse, similar to how Aradia's dream-self was left on one in an earlier flash. Jade's corpse was carried by Jack to her planet's quest bed.

2. Jack used a meteorite's time capsule (that was also used by the white king) to stowaway on it as it was shot through a defense portal.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 24, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Plom Bar posted:

When Doc Scratch said to Rose that she had a 50-50 chance of ascending, what he was referring to was the fact that there are two ways to ascend: The first way, the one that John, Jade, and Vriska use, requires a live dream self and the use of the player planet's quest bed. The second way, which Rose, Dave, and Aradia use, only require that they have A body and it's on the other quest bed in the core of Prospit/Derse's moon.

As for Jack, he entered the same Lotus pod that the White King entered, moments after he entered it. Some 413 million years later, both emerged.

Ah, that explains things, thanks

I feel like John has kind of lame god-powers when god-Aradia (and I'm guessing Dave still) can travel through time and Jade can freely shrink/grow and move around any object. Like, their powers are more like an actual god's, while John's feels more like just a regular superhero or something.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yes, the key takeaway from Homestuck is that John is Lame and A Goober not worth paying much attention to.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like John has kind of lame god-powers when god-Aradia (and I'm guessing Dave still) can travel through time and Jade can freely shrink/grow and move around any object. Like, their powers are more like an actual god's, while John's feels more like just a regular superhero or something.

Hahahahahaha

The folly of youth.

Keep reading.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Aradia could already time travel, though. He freezing Bec Noir might be new, or it might be that she didn't give enough of a poo poo until she was alive. Also Jade is half omnipoterrier and thus a cheater.
Also, congratulations on watching the flash that destroyed MSPA.com, Newgrounds, and Megaupload in under half an hour.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While Cascade was a super cool flash, in a way I kind of prefer plot elements being conveyed with "normal" pages. I mean, I'm happy the flash is there because it has some awesome music and it's neat to see a bunch of stuff animated, but it's easier to follow what's going on during the regular pages.

edit: Oh wait apparently I missed the first part of Cascade where John destroyed a bunch of enemies with tornadoes of lava. So I guess he is kind of strong, and his powers are the only ones that seem like they can be "directly" destructive (which is kind of ironic given his personality).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 24, 2016

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that explains things, thanks

Control over the weather (or at least part of the weather) is a pretty standard God power.

Like, most polytheistic faiths tend to have at least one schmuck who's only real job is to keep meteorologists employed.

Basically, a good chunk of superheroes have enough qualifications to be considered at least minor deities, even the lovely ones.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

While Cascade was a super cool flash, in a way I kind of prefer plot elements being conveyed with "normal" pages. I mean, I'm happy the flash is there because it has some awesome music and it's neat to see a bunch of stuff animated, but it's easier to follow what's going on during the regular pages.

But normal updates aren't capable of taking down Newground's servers for a full day, now are they?

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Also, congratulations on watching the flash that destroyed MSPA.com, Newgrounds, and Megaupload in under half an hour.

I remember having to download a torrent of this flash that Hussie himself had to host . He also had to edit the way the flash worked so that it would play when downloaded on your machine, since it's actually 5 .swf files strung together using a DIFFERENT .swf file.
Turns out Flash doesn't like to export 55 meg files, who knew?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

They're some truly unhealthy incendiaries in above average need of medical attention.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm pretty depressed about the Mayor, though. All he wanted was to be a democratically elected official of a small town and help it run smoothly. =(

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty depressed about the Mayor, though. All he wanted was to be a democratically elected official of a small town and help it run smoothly. =(

The Mayor is the greatest, this is a true thing you've discovered.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh poo poo, are we talking about the Mayor? He's a delight.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
I can't believe the Mayor is loving dead.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Let's all take turns hugging him

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

If you can kiss somebody back to life, surely you can hug them back to life? I will always remember fondly the Mayor's anointing himself courtesy of a mayonnaise label.

e: Isn't it sweet that Jack Noir, the preeminent villain, has an ineradicable soft spot for Jade because he used to be her dog?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Now it's focusing on a new character, Jane Crocker, I guess an alternate universe version of John or something. It says her 13th birthday was two and a half years ago, so does that mean she's older than the original main characters?

edit: Oh wait, it's his Nanna, that's right

hahahahaha this part: "You love SITUATION COMEDIES, whilst holding particular affection for MUSTACHIOED FUNNYMEN. You know, your FOXWORTHIES, your FUNKES, your SWANSONS, but not necessarily your GALLAGHERS PER SE, because you have to draw the loving line somewhere."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 24, 2016

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

Yep, they're older than the original main characters.

I'm not sure when exactly this is explained, but it's not that big a deal to explain it early now that you've met them. These kids you're focusing on now have the same birthdays as the kids they've replaced. Jane was Nana, and is now born on John's birthday of April 13, 1996. The others are the same with their respective kid.
Acts 1-5 took place on April 13, 2009, and Act 6 starts on November 11, 2011, so it's about two and a half years later. Which coincides with the actual dates of the start of the acts. Act 1 was 4/13/09, Act 5 was 6/12/10 (413 + 612 = 1025, so that is also an arc number) and Act 6 was 11/11/11.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

curiousTerminal posted:

I'm not sure when exactly this is explained, but it's not that big a deal to explain it early now that you've met them. These kids you're focusing on now have the same birthdays as the kids they've replaced. Jane was Nana, and is now born on John's birthday of April 13, 1996. The others are the same with their respective kid.
Acts 1-5 took place on April 13, 2009, and Act 6 starts on November 11, 2011, so it's about two and a half years later. Which coincides with the actual dates of the start of the acts. Act 1 was 4/13/09, Act 5 was 6/12/10 (413 + 612 = 1025, so that is also an arc number) and Act 6 was 11/11/11.
Also worth mentioning, this means that pop culture stuff going on just before 2012, can now be a thing that's happening. Unlike before, where everything in the comic was taking place on the longest day of 2009 ever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The way the scratch is theoretically supposed to work (modulo Paradox Space, in which everything that happens was supposed to happen) , the first set of kids we know and love should have vanished entirely when the scratched universe is created. If it weren't for Jade's battleship and Karkat's meteor, the first four would have been erased from reality.

For convenience's sake, Jade, John, Dave, and Rose are the Beta kids; the kids you're in the process of meeting are the Alpha kids.

Note to Self
Mar 21, 2012
Of course, a lot of people prefer to just say pre- and post-scratch, because alpha and beta timelines are already a thing, but "the alpha kids" stuck anyway so we might as well accept it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This has always been confusing as loving hell to me because John's group and timeline came FIRST, so why the hell not call them the alpha kids in the alpha timeline