Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

crosspost

the sayonara zetsubou sensei/joshiraku dude has a new manga. its about a mangaka who hides his job from his daughter and its pretty good! both dad jokes and behind the scenes manga jokes are represented

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a link for the lazy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sweetness & Lightning updated :toot:

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Sweetness and Lightning is as good as always. It’s the hint of melancholy that gives it a distinct flavor.

Has anyone tried making any of the recipes?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kyoushi mo Iroiro Aru Wake de
Komori Tadamachi loves teaching at an elementary school, the only problem is fellow teacher Takigawa Kyou. Always being compared to the perfectly composed and devastatingly handsome Takigawa (even by the students!) is really destroying Komori's self-esteem. Still, Komori finds himself being drawn in by Takigawa's effortless charm...

Since this one got an update and I remembered that it existed and decided to re-read it I'm going to do a write-up for it. It fits more under the childcare umbrella than being a dad manga, but it does have a single dad secondary character who gets more focus in the third volume/spinoff. He's a former punk who had a kid while young, and in the main story is kind of a troublemaker for the main couple but in his story it gets revealed that while he's still pretty immature and bratty, he's really devoted to his kid and tries hard to make a good life for him. The main story follows two elementary school teachers in their relationship; one is gay from the start and the other one does the "originally straight but fell in love" thing but they end up having a really sweet relationship. Komori is notable for putting a lot of effort into overcoming his own prejudices in the beginning, and doesn't spend a huge amount of time waffling around about his feelings or being obnoxiously in denial. The kids other than one (Fujita's kid) are mostly portrayed as a group so they're not really characters except collectively as a class, but they're drawn very cute and the recurring gag that Komori gets no respect from his class is pretty funny.

The art is very clean with strong lineart and minimal yaoi hands. There are a few places the proportions get out of whack, mostly some arms going noodly or awkward angles during sex scenes but overall it has a nice art style and within the main story all the characters are very distinct from each other. Vol. 1 has a one-shot with a student-teacher relationship and vol. 2 has a pretty bad one with confinement and nonconsent; neither have anything to do with the main story and are skippable. Outside of the bad one-shots, I'd consider it a solid though fairly standard yaoi and with 2 volumes + spinoff there's plenty of it. All chapters are NSFW of course; not super detailed but dudes have sex and parts are shown so don't whip this one out in front of your boss.

The spinoff isn't completely translated and is a bit confusingly attached to the main story as the third volume rather than being listed separately if you're reading it somewhere online. It's also more reliant on the usual yaoi tropes -- there's some dubious consent and Fujita is really babyfaced which is offputting. I rate it less favorably than the main story due to that which is unfortunate since it's the dadlier part.

I would recommend probably not delving too deeply into this author's other works; from what I remember she's also written a very lengthy comedy series with talking penises and a substantial quantity of shotacon. I haven't read much else by her other than this story but am judging from tags and summaries and there wasn't much that looked like I wanted to read it.

Komori's class:

Fujita & son:

e: paragraphs lol

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Bambi to Dhole; Bambi is starting to get her poo poo together but the turtle flashback was the best thing lol

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Sure, I'll post the yuri mom manga in the dad manga thread. It's all much more about the yuri than about the parenting, sadly. I'd love some that tipped the other way or had a balance, if anyone has some.

The second chapter of Amano Shuninta's Sweet Guilty Love Bites collection features a preschool teacher having a one night stand with a woman who turns out to be student's mother. It's cute! And :nws:

The Female Body is about a woman and her former sister-in-law reevaluating their relationship. :nws:

Mama Mama Is about a pair of housewives forming some sort of neighbors' pseudo-family. This one's work safe.

This stuff would be a lot easier to find if Dynasty had a "parent" tag. I don't think there's a ton of it aside from science babies doujins, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Motto posted:

"Up and Down" & "Helter-Skelter" by Nishi Uko also have a single mom.

Up and Down, Helter-Skelter

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I remember one about a relationship between a relatively young widow and a younger woman who knew the widow and her late husband as a kid, but I can't remember the name of it. It was pretty sweet, though. Not so much a mom manga, though.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

chumbler posted:

I remember one about a relationship between a relatively young widow and a younger woman who knew the widow and her late husband as a kid, but I can't remember the name of it. It was pretty sweet, though. Not so much a mom manga, though.

It is cute, but it's a bit weird in a Tale of Genji sort of way. If the widow had had a child of her own, I'd have posted it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

It is cute, but it's a bit weird in a Tale of Genji sort of way. If the widow had had a child of her own, I'd have posted it.

It's been quite a while since I read it and I doubt I'd be able to find it again, so I'll take your word for it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i don't remember if working holiday got posted here but its a series about a dad who is an ex-host

anyway i promised to crosspost this

not really a dad, more her guardian but its good
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/totsukuni-no-shoujo-r16519/

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Working Holiday is good! (and finished). It should be one page 1 somewhere, I think it was in the last bunch of links I added. I read the girl & monster manga last night after you posted it and it is also good. I'm curious what the actual situation is with the curse and stuff, seems like there's more going on there. It has a neat fairy-tale feeling too.

Also thanks for posting yuri moms Yes_Cantaloupe, it's good to have variety :D

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Davincie posted:

i don't remember if working holiday got posted here but its a series about a dad who is an ex-host

anyway i promised to crosspost this

not really a dad, more her guardian but its good
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/totsukuni-no-shoujo-r16519/

This is a good dad manga. At first glance it reminded me of The Ancient Magus Bride, but that's really just the art and the main dude. The translation's pretty dire, though. Lifeless and awkward. Also the worst sound effects: "RAIN FALL", "TAKE OUT", "PIERCE"

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This is a good dad manga. At first glance it reminded me of The Ancient Magus Bride, but that's really just the art and the main dude. The translation's pretty dire, though. Lifeless and awkward. Also the worst sound effects: "RAIN FALL", "TAKE OUT", "PIERCE"

The worst part is that it's decent enough that you can clearly see what they were going for a lot of the time. It's like watching a cat just barely miss the window every single time. :negative:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

powerful dad.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

oh yeah, here a dad manga i read. well, its not really like the rest of the manga here. for one, the dad isn't a great guy and the daughter doesn't appear all that much. he does a lot of bonding with a korean kid though

fly, daddy, fly
a short story of a salaryman becoming a better person and taking revenge against the one that attacked his daughter
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Fly-Daddy-Fly

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Looks like Fly, Daddy, Fly also has a movie. Gonna check out the manga, and just now realized I started reading that cop manga by the same writer that got uploaded the other day.

e: clarifying, same writer different artists

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 22, 2016

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/koi-iji-r13026/

for the non-chat thread readers, new dad manga by SHIMURA Takako

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Gonna read that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Gonna read that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish she'd go back to writing yuri but this time without a crappy ending.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
woah I didn't get the impression that the little brother was that old at all, thought he was another kid when he got introduced.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

This isn't a dad manga I have been rused

Seems neat tho

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

new korean series about taking care of a demon kid (wow beelzebub ripoff!!!!)
http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/baby-diary-r18005

it has incredibly short chapters

also i noticed that hinamatsuri isn't in here, well it should be

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hah we are definitely reading the same things. I was going to wait til there was a little more before linking because the chapters are so short but it looks cute, hopefully it picks up a little more substance.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Davincie posted:

also i noticed that hinamatsuri isn't in here, well it should be

It has a whole thread.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sweetness and Lightning is either getting an anime, or a pachinko machine

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/02/04/sweetness-and-lightning-announcement-teased

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cake Attack posted:

Sweetness and Lightning is either getting an anime, or a pachinko machine

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/02/04/sweetness-and-lightning-announcement-teased

oh jeez, I hope I can be excited

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Bambi to Dhole

Grandma is the best :3:
e: actually pretty much every page in this chapter is great, really refreshing after the drama

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 6, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Two chapters of Kekkonshite mo Koishiteru; chapter 6 bringing the feelings

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shiba-occhan-r17843

dog dad updated

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
dog dad best dad

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Where the flippity flip is volume 2 of Otouto no Otto!

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Chichikogusa

and Sweetness & Lightning updated sometime last week maybe? I got the notification but didn't get around to reading it til today whoops.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gakuen babysitters too, busy day

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Poor Chiharu... :(

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
When I saw this thread I immediately thought of that Tim and Eric character who's obsessed with hooking up with kids' dads.

But I'm glad I stayed since I'm going to pick up Usagi Drop now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

Where the flippity flip is volume 2 of Otouto no Otto!

waiting for scans, looks like